• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MSNBC Feb 26 Democratic Debate Thread of "Bring Obama a pillow!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maynerd

Banned
norinrad21 said:

Mine got stuck.

picture2kj9.png

TDG

Banned
Amir0x said:
This thread is long in the tooth, where is that TEXAS/VERMONT/RHODEISLAND/OHIO thread >_<
I've been really sick and had time to put a thread together, is it okay if I post it, or is there someone specific who posts the threads?

Amir0x

Banned
the disgruntled gamer said:
I've been really sick and had time to put a thread together, is it okay if I post it, or is there someone specific who posts the threads?

Rur0ni wanted to do it, seemed like he was the consensus candidate.

BUT IT'S LATE AND THIS THREAD BORES ME

TDG

Banned
Amir0x said:
Rur0ni wanted to do it, seemed like he was the consensus candidate.

BUT IT'S LATE AND THIS THREAD BORES ME
So... I can post it?

If it's bad, you can all just laugh, lock, and summon Rur0ni.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.observer.com/2008/stumping-clinton-steinem-says-mccains-p-o-w-cred-overrated

...this is why you don't have GLORIA MAN HATING STEINEM stump for you.

From the stage, the 73-year-old seemed to denigrate the importance of John McCain&#8217;s time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. In an interview with the Observer afterward, she suggested that Barack Obama benefits&#8212;and Clinton suffers&#8212;because Americans view racism more seriously than sexism.

Steinem also told the crowd that one reason to back Clinton was because &#8220;she actually enjoys conflict.&#8221;

And she claimed that if Clinton&#8217;s experience as First Lady were taken seriously in relation to her White House bid, people might &#8220;finally admit that, say, being a secretary is the best way to learn your boss&#8217;s job and take it over.&#8221;

Steinem raised McCain&#8217;s Vietnam imprisonment as she sought to highlight an alleged gender-based media bias against Clinton.

&#8220;Suppose John McCain had been Joan McCain and Joan McCain had got captured, shot down and been a POW for eight years. [The media would ask], &#8216;What did you do wrong to get captured? What terrible things did you do while you were there as a captive for eight years?&#8217;&#8221; Steinem said, to laughter from the audience.

McCain was, in fact, a prisoner of war for around five-and-a-half years, during which time he was tortured repeatedly. Referring to his time in captivity, Steinem said with bewilderment, &#8220;I mean, hello? This is supposed to be a qualification to be president? I don&#8217;t think so.&#8221;

Steinem&#8217;s broader argument was that the media and the political world are too admiring of militarism in all its guises.

&#8220;I am so grateful that she [Clinton] hasn&#8217;t been trained to kill anybody. And she probably didn&#8217;t even play war games as a kid. It&#8217;s a great relief from Bush in his jump suit and from Kerry saluting.&#8221;

To the Observer, Steinem insisted that &#8220;from George Washington to Jack Kennedy and PT-109 we have behaved as if killing people is a qualification for ruling people.&#8221;

TDG

Banned
Amir0x said:
i dunno is your potential thread pretty comprehensive?
It doesn't have the crazy amount of detail that Rur0ni's threads do, but it has all the basic info. Check your PMs.

Hootie

the disgruntled gamer said:
It doesn't have the crazy amount of detail that Rur0ni's threads do, but it has all the basic info.

Aw, I love Rur0ni's crazy detail though. And those funny pictures! (Or is that Triumph?)

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Steinem likes to rile things up, but she has some points. We're much more likely, as a society, to give a male POW a narrative of sacrifice and stoicism, and give a female POW a narrative of victimhood and rescue.

Tamanon said:
http://www.observer.com/2008/stumping-clinton-steinem-says-mccains-p-o-w-cred-overrated

...this is why you don't have GLORIA MAN HATING STEINEM stump for you.
UPDATE: The Clinton campaign sends over the following statement from Howard Wolfson: "Senator Clinton has repeatedly praised Senator McCain's courage and service to our country. These comments certainly do not represent her thinking in any way. Senator Clinton intends to have a respectful debate with Senator McCain on the issues."

Notice the lack of denouncement. I know how important she says that is.

Tamanon

Banned
Mandark said:
Steinem likes to rile things up, but she has some points. We're much more likely, as a society, to give a male POW a narrative of sacrifice and stoicism, and give a female POW a narrative of victimhood and rescue.

I don't think so, personally, if I remember correctly the Jessica Lynch thing wasn't treated like that at all.

Of course, we really can't tell since the whole concept of the female soldier on the front lines is relatively new. Either way, does it make a difference if we treated a female POW differently? I mean, does that mean we should treat male POWs as victims and weak?

Mandark said:
Bull. The reason Mccain is given a hero narrative is because he could've used connections to get out early through family connections but didn't. He could've denounced his country but didn't. He could've given secrets but didn't. For five years he was tortured to the point where he lost considerable control over his own body permanently. Lynch? She suffered some damage during the attacks and was held for a few weeks. She claimed she was raped (Painting herself as the victim for her book) and later recanted. Was that the media's fault too?

Cheebs

Clintonista blogs are awesome:

With the Rezko campaign about to begin, and Hillary RESURGENT in Texas and Ohio, the state of the Obama campaign has been reducded to utter panic. Fear and loathing reign. When Obama loses Tuesday, expect the infighting to break out in the media. These misogynists running his campaign can't stand the thought of a woman winning, and it's tearing them to pieces. THE AUDACITY OF A WOMAN.

New Hampshire was the first time a woman ever won a presidential primary, and the events are shaping up just the same again. Expect shocking margins of victory tonight. And there will be no South Carolina primary to save Barack Hussein Obama after this! It will all be over!

Including super delegates, and the disenfranchised delegations of MI, FL, we WILL have this nomination in hand and wrapped up on Wednesday! And if Obama wants to deny that (like he denies the anti-semitic and anti-woman hate driving his campaign) then he can wait for the crushing landslide to bury him in PA. Polls show PENN slipping even further away from him, Hillary is up 20 there and driving hard.

Hootie

Cheebs said:
Clintonista blogs are awesome:

That shit is worse and more funny than hillaryis44...that blogger is seriously delusional right now. Absolutely amazing. :lol

It's also ironic how it talks about how Obama's camp is in a state of panic right now, when it's Hillary who's fighting fanatically to win these states. If she doesn't win both TX and OH by at least 10% each (which at this point looks impossible), she's pretty much dead.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Chrono said:
What blog is that? Please post a link, I want to check it out when Obama wins the nomination.

Don't worry, I'll give you a quick Summary: The misogynistic and sexist Barack HUSSEIN Obama stole the nomination from Clinton, in cohorts by the mysogynist media who Clinton has been constantly victimized by, the poor underdog that she is.

I've been to racist/bigoted/fanatical/extreme blogs on all sides of the spectrum. They would never, EVER have the humility to give whoever theyre slandering ANY credit, but will stay in denial and paint them in the worst way possible, whatever happens. I wouldnt be surprised if many of these pro-Hillary sites/blogs turn into anti-Obama blogs when he gets the nomination/when he becomes president. They wouldnt hesitate to continue the slander and futile attempts at dirt-digging after the nomination, even at the risk of shredding the party to pieces. Their attempts at attacking his characters has so far failed, so they've now gone to digging for dirt on anyone who has associated with him, and shrieking about their perceived findings.

I had the misfortune of sifting through comments at Hillaryis44 once ( had to wash my eyes out with bleach afterwards), pretty much all the comments said they would vote for McCain if Obama wins the nomination. They even constantly post e-mail addresses of people like Malkin and Hannity so people could mail them 'dirt' on Obama to spread.
The very definition of scum.

Amir0x

Banned
Cheebs said:
For those who did not see Meet the Press
pewcandidateswords.jpg

Check out what was at 11 for Hillary.

All 11 of those respondents have been banned from neoGAF until after Texas/Ohio/Vermont/RhodeIsland.

Also, 1,000,000 calls goal met ahead of schedule for Obama, next up: 1,500,000 :D

Cheebs

I just realized not a single person was the first word to pop in their head for obama black. Not one. Thats kinda amazing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
I just realized not a single person was the first word to pop in their head for obama black. Not one. Thats kinda amazing.

People don't like being painted as racists

platypotamus said:
Not only that, but McCain was described as Liberal (12) more than Hillary (8) and Obama (0) combined, which I find relatively amusing.

That's called conservatives who don't like McCain

AmishNazi

Banned
Cheebs said:

I really don't see much racism with Obama so far. I bet it'll change by the GE, but right now he's getting a pretty free pass with powder puff racism even. However I have seen some white people trying to convince me he's not black or taking credit for his upbringing since he was raised by a white mom. :shakes head:

grandjedi6 said:
People don't like being painted as racists

That's called conservatives who don't like McCain

Understood, for sure, but still kind of amusing.

Also, it was probably meant as a dirtier word by those who used it than "rhymes with rich" was for Hillary.

GhaleonEB

Where's the new thread?

But have the polls been accurate? Everyone knows about the consistent Obama lead in NH that didn't result in an Obama win, but a two point Clinton victory. But what about the polls since? An analysis of the poll results using the data at Pollster.com shows that Clinton has generally performed consistent with the public polls, while Obama has consistently performed much better than the average of the public polls.

Because of the small number of polls in the sample, these results can't be viewed as meeting strict standards for empirical study. However, a few calculations suggest that there is no Wilder Effect (AKA as a Bradley effect). In fact, the variance runs in the opposite direction, with Obama's strength being under-represented in the public polling. If there's any problem related to race, it's probably that the turnout models are under-representing Africa-American turnou.

A few notes about the table below. I did not include caucus states, as it's difficult to translate polling to caucus results. South Carolina is included in this analysis, but it's the only state where John Edwards was still actively campaigning. For all subsequent states, I've only included polls taken after Edwards dropped out. If there were not at least six polls taken after Edwards' withdrawal—and for a few important states like CT and MA there were not—I did not include them in the analysis. Finally, regarding California, I excluded Zogby polls, not because they were wrong, but because they were such outliers from every other poll, and ended up being 26 points off the final result.

Code:
State     Clinton  Clinton  Obama   Obama 
(# polls)   Avg     Actual   Avg    Actual 
SC(20)      27%       0      41%      +14 
AL (7)      45%      -3      44%      +12 
CA (8)      46%      +6      40%      + 3 
GA(10)      34%      -3      50%      +16 
MO (6)      45%      +3      44%      + 5 
NJ(12)      47%      +7      40%      + 4 
NY (6)      53%      +4      36%      + 4 
TN (6)      52%      +2      33%      + 8 
MD (6)      34%      +3      53%      + 7