• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NH Primary Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

He wont make that argument after tonight. Like many have said no candidate who has won both Iowa and NH has ever lost the nomination ever.

Cheebs said:
Yeah. Iowa/NH double win = national win mainly because americans dont like voting for "losers". Having a few states do it early make america follow their lead. We are like sheep in that way.
Uh, then I agree with Triumph that there should be one national election day.

Cheebs

Souldriver said:
Uh, then I agree with Triumph that there should be one national election day.
It should be but Iowa and NH will fight it like mad. Tradition might be so entrenched that it may be hard to break free.

Triumph

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
Fuck Obama. We're so screwed if he gets the nomination.
No wai! Realistically, he's probably screwed because [cynicism]I can't seriously believe some random nutjob somewhere won't shoot him, sadly[/cynicism] but how would we be worse off with President Obama than what we've had?

harSon

Banned
Obamination.jpg

Triumph said:
No wai! Realistically, he's probably screwed because [cynicism]I can't seriously believe some random nutjob somewhere won't shoot him, sadly[/cynicism] but how would we be worse off with President Obama than what we've had?
It's not so much that I think he'd be terrible (though I do think he'd be a one-termer), it's that I think America's racism will come out in full force if he's the nominee and we'll have another Republican in office.

Mercury Fred said:
Fuck Obama. We're so screwed if he gets the nomination.

How so? I trust him over Hillary to mend our differences with other nations, and unfortunately they're the only two candidates who look like they know what they're talking about. [Edit: I mean to say, the only two with a chance of winning the election. Go Ron Paul!]

I'm much more concerned with starting a trend of politicians who stop pissing off the world -- not just the middle east, but European nations, et al.

Cheebs

Mercury Fred said:
It's not so much that I think he'd be terrible (though I do think he'd be a one-termer), it's that I think America's racism will come out in full force if he's the nominee and we'll have another Republican in office.
How are these all white states voting for him in droves now though? It's not just democrats. But independents as well. He is getting massive support of non-dems in all white states of Iowa and NH so far.

mckmas8808 said:
Was it on camera?
No, I read about it. He was at a rally this morning at a college and a girl was so over-whelmed by him that she fainted.

Ark-AMN

Banned
RiskyChris said:
How so? I trust him over Hillary to mend our differences with other nations, and unfortunately they're the only two candidates who look like they know what they're talking about.

I'm much more concerned with starting a trend of politicians who stop pissing off the world -- not just the middle east, but European nations, et al.
Hah, pissing off European nations is always a plus in my book. :lol

The debates should be very interesting though when the nominees are announced. All the candidates are very good speakers and won't have the Bush stuttering handicap.

Cheebs said:
How are these all white states voting for him in droves now though? It's not just democrats. But independents as well. He is getting massive support of non-dems in all white states of Iowa and NH so far.
It's the South and parts of the Midwest that worry me the most. I hope I'm wrong.

And as for trusting him, I don't trust Obama at all. The McClurkin gaffe soured me to him and revealed that he's certainly not going to hold himself accountable for his mistakes if the media isn't going to hold his feet to the fire. Furthermore, I think he's kind of an empty windbag. Again, I hope I'm wrong. That said, I'm no Clinton fan either. I'm bummed out that Edwards is my default top choice but ultimately, I'll vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is.

joeposh

Mercury Fred said:

The same people who won't vote for a candidate because they're black, and probably the same people who wouldn't vote for a woman either. Not exactly a core democratic constituency...

Cheebs

Mercury Fred said:
It's the South and parts of the Midwest that worry me the most. I hope I'm wrong.
He won't lose the midwest. He is from the midwest (at least for the last 20 or so years). It's his base. He'll probably lose the south, but what democrat wont?

Timbuktu

I'm not American or live in America, but I was rewatching The West Wing last night and it struck me how much Santos is like Obama. It's not just that they're both ethnic minority, young and perhaps light in experience, but in the way they give their speeches as well, how they use words like 'Hope' and 'Change' and be so charismatic. You can't not be cautious with someone like Obama though, when they're so much like fictional TV president.

Then again, you can say that McCain is like Arnold Vinick and we will pretty much have a reality version of The West Wing if they get the nominations.

vultureparade said:
I have no idea why the hell everyone is so excited about Obama.

Go see him speak live. The man gets crazy amounts of people, he fires them up, and makes them feel good. He is a crazy good speaker.

Cloudy

Banned
Cheebs said:
He wont make that argument after tonight. Like many have said no candidate who has won both Iowa and NH has ever lost the nomination ever.

Maybe it's just me but doesn't anyone care that after one candidate does well, voters in other primaries start second-guessing themselves if they were gonna vote for the loser of the previous primary. Especially in our society of people trying to fit in :lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Obama guy but I've always wondered about primaries...

I have no idea why the hell everyone is so excited about Obama.

He's the first presidential candidate in years that doesn't seem totally incompetent?

ToxicAdam

Mercury Fred said:

And as for trusting him, I don't trust Obama at all. The McClurkin gaffe soured me to him and revealed that he's certainly not going to hold himself accountable for his mistakes if the media isn't going to hold his feet to the fire. Furthermore, I think he's kind of an empty windbag. Again, I hope I'm wrong. That said, I'm no Clinton fan either. I'm bummed out that Edwards is my default top choice but ultimately, I'll vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is.

I like your reasoning and agree with you to an extent.

Obama kind of reminds me of Reagan, in a way. Someone that can deliver a great speech and speak in feel-good, vague symbolism ... yet not have much substance behind it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cheebs said:
He won't lose the midwest. He is from the midwest (at least for the last 20 or so years). It's his base. He'll probably lose the south, but what democrat wont?

He could get the black vote in the South. I know the %s aren't that high of black votes in all Southern states but it will help some.

harSon

Banned
Yahoo! This is your obamanation
Yahoo! This is your obamanation

Obamanate good times, come on! (Let's obamanate)

There's a party goin' on right here
An obamanation to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna obamanate your party with you

Come on now

Obamanation
Let's all obamanate and have a good time
Obamanation
We gonna obamanate and have a good time

It's time to come together
It's up to you, what's your pleasure

Everyone around the world
Come on!

Yahoo! It's a obamanation
Yahoo!

obamanate good times, come on!
It's a obamanation
Let's obamanate

We're gonna have a good time tonight
Let's obamanate, it's all right
We're gonna have a good time tonight

Baby...

We're gonna have a good time tonight (Ob-am-ana-tion)
Let's Obamanate, it's all right
We're gonna have a good time tonight (Ob-am-ana-tion)

Yahoo!
Yahoo!

It's a obamanation!
obamanate good times, come on! (Let's obamanate)

Come on and obamanate, good times, tonight (obamanate good times, come on!)
'Cause everything's gonna be all right
Let's obamanate (Obamanate good times, come on)
(Let's obamanate)...

Triumph

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
Hah, pissing off European nations is always a plus in my book. :lol
Other things that are pluses in Centuryon's book:

-Hentai, the more loli tentacle rape the better
-Not knowing the touch of a woman that isn't related to him
-Letting the poor die rather than treat their health problems if it means he doesn't pay as much in taxes
-MGS: The Twin Snakes

I'm not seeing much that's to be lauded in your book, sir or thing as the case may be.

Mercury Fred said:

You are wrong.

The only place where Obama's blackness will cost him is the deep south, which would have never voted Democrat anyway, so its irrelevant.

mckmas8808

Posted in another thread about Obama.

One of the more extraordinary stories of the Obama campaign has been playing out behind the scenes over the past week as the candidate has been working on a daily basis to try to calm things down in his father's homeland and his grandmother's home, Kenya, where a contested election has led to riots.

On January 1, two days before the Iowa caucuses, Obama left a message for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. According to Robert Gibbs, Obama's Communications Director, Rice called back "as we were driving from Sioux City to Council Bluffs on January 1. They talked about the situation and Rice asked Obama to tape a Voice of America message calling for calm." Obama taped the message on January 2, after a rally in Davenport, Iowa. He said, in part:

"Despite irregularities in the vote tabulation, now is not the time to throw that strong democracy away. Now is a time for President Kibaki, opposition leader Odinga, and all of Kenya’s leaders to call for calm, to come together, and to start a political process to address peacefully the controversies that divide them. Now is the time for this terrible violence to end.
Kenya’s long democratic journey has at times been difficult. But at critical moments, Kenyans have chosen unity and progress over division and disaster. The way forward is not through violence – it is through democracy, and the rule of law. To all of Kenya’s people, I ask you to renew Kenya’s democratic tradition, and to seek your dreams in peace."

On January 3, the day of the caucuses, he had a conversation with Bishop Desmond Tutu, who had flown to Nairobi to see if he could begin negotiations with the factions. In the days since his Iowa victory, Obama has had near-daily conversations with the U.S. Ambassador in Kenya or with opposition leader Raila Odinga. As of late this afternoon, before his rally in Rochester, N.H., Obama was trying to reach Kenyan President Kibaki.

I haven't been able to talk to Obama directly about this--he is sort of busy right now--but it does seem noteworthy that, in the midst of the most amazing week of his life, Barack Obama has found the time to do a some diplomatic scut-work. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of this sort of thing if he wins the nomination and is elected President.

Like Cheebs said in the other thread this is remarkable that he has the time to do this while campaigning.

Cheebs said:
No, I read about it. He was at a rally this morning at a college and a girl was so over-whelmed by him that she fainted.

I'm honestly not happy with politicians being treated as if they were rock stars. They need to be treated like white collar business men: abused, treated with mistrust, and soul crushed into submission.

besada

Banned
I want Obama to win the general election, just so I can watch the bloom of cynicism that will grow in the eyes of the faithful when they realize that anyone can talk about change and virtually no one can make it happen.

ToxicAdam said:
I like your reasoning and agree with you to an extent.

Obama kind of reminds me of Reagan, in a way. Someone that can deliver a great speech and speak in feel-good, vague symbolism ... yet not have much substance behind it.

I don't understand why "substance" inevitably has to refer to some specific policy standing (which Obama incidentally has plenty of). The core of his campaign is to get Americans of all standings to get involved in the process and in their country's progress. And if Iowa, and turnout across New Hampshire is any indication, it's working.

How is that not a campaign of substance? That's almost a revolutionary act of galvanization.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
besada said:
I want Obama to win the general election, just so I can watch the bloom of cynicism that will grow in the eyes of the faithful when they realize that anyone can talk about change and virtually no one can make it happen.
If this truly is the case, than we're in need of a revolution.

And everyone knows you can view his stance on issues on his website right?
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

harSon

Banned
besada said:

70931.jpg

besada

Banned
RubxQub said:
If this truly is the case, than we're in need of a revolution.

The system is fundamentally broken. It's been that way for close to fifty years now. Even with the expanded powers of the Presidency (thanks George!), the Executive branch simply doesn't have the power to fix the problems. The system is rigged to a)exclude anyone not annointed by the Democrats and Republicans and b)make sure both major parties are entirely controlled by business interests.

As for a revolution, well, those don't always work out that well, but I'm down if someone else is going to stand on the front line.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'll be voting for whoever the Democratic candidate is (unless it's Hillary) and Obama is high on my list because at least he offers an illusion of hope. I'd rather have Edwards because he's better trained to tackle the obstacles we face, and is secretly a mean son of a bitch, a trait completely necessary to be an effective Executive.

mckmas8808

besada said:

Lincoln made it happen. Franklin D. Roosevelt made it happen, Bill Clinton made it happen, Reagan made it happen.

I don't see why change can't happen when there's been proof to show that it has happened plenty of times.

mckmas8808

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't understand why "substance" inevitably has to refer to some specific policy standing (which Obama incidentally has plenty of). The core of his campaign is to get Americans of all standings to get involved in the process and in their country's progress. And if Iowa, and turnout across New Hampshire is any indication, it's working.

How is that not a campaign of substance? That's almost a revolutionary act of galvanization.

Hey Birdie the problem is some in the the media can't stand the fact that he's not a "9/11" nominee, an abortion or against abortion nominee, a I'm against immgration nominee, a "I love Jesus" nominee etc.

He hasn't peigon holed himself to 3 issues and hit them home and made his campagin about that and that pisses some people off.

besada

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Lincoln made it happen. Franklin D. Roosevelt made it happen, Bill Clinton made it happen, Reagan made it happen.

I don't see why change can't happen when there's been proof to show that it has happened plenty of times.

Neither Bill nor Reagan made any fundamental changes to the system (Well, Reagan made it easier to get corporate money into politics and Bill took complete advantage of that, but neither did a thing to divert the already existing trend of the growing oligarchical plutocracy that the U.S. has become).

Both Lincoln and FDR lived in a very different time, before we defined corporations as people and allowed them entry into the political process under the rubric of free speech. The reality of the situation is that anyone who gets the nomination has already been vetted by the people holding the money. The same people who are allowing them to run because they know the candidate won't upset their apple cart.

There's a reason we live in a country that has laws designed to stop third-party contestants. You might get someone who actually wanted to do something about the situation, and they can't have that.

ToxicAdam

One of the greatest fundamental changes that happened in our lifetime was the power given to the President for a line-item veto. The Supreme Court took that power away, sadly.

mckmas8808

besada said:
Neither Bill nor Reagan made any fundamental changes to the system (Well, Reagan made it easier to get corporate money into politics and Bill took complete advantage of that, but neither did a thing to divert the already existing trend of the growing oligarchical plutocracy that the U.S. has become).

Both Lincoln and FDR lived in a very different time, before we defined corporations as people and allowed them entry into the political process under the rubric of free speech.

I wasn't talking about that type of change. Im talking about change in general.

Sir Alemeth said:
Obama is a sexy beast, but waddup with his wife?!? She's butt evil looking :(

Not too bad imo.

obama3.jpg

Rur0ni

besada said:
I'd rather have Edwards because he's better trained to tackle the obstacles we face, and is secretly a mean son of a bitch, a trait completely necessary to be an effective Executive.
I get that feeling he has some whoop ass in him. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom