• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NH Primary Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Before corporation was a pejorative, we had trusts. We've been down that road before a century ago, and congress was controlled by industry just as much if not moreso then, but things changed for the better. Seeing just how awful things were back then and the similarities to today's trends gives me some reason to be optimistic even though I have more reason not to be.

Triumph

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
One of the greatest fundamental changes that happened in our lifetime was the power given to the President for a line-item veto. The Supreme Court took that power away, sadly.
Well, Dubya proved that you don't need a line-item veto to ignore what you don't like out of Congress. Signing statements, anyone? I don't think anyone can really make the argument that the Executive is wanting in power lately, duder.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Line item veto's not a fundamental change. It would only affect certain types of non-discretionary spending, and the president would inevitably use it as a cudgel against the other party's pork more than his own.

Taxes, entitlements, and military spending are where the real action's at, budget-wise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Obama is clearly an ass, man.

edit: oops, just realized I put an inadvertent comma there. :lol
I was referring to his wife's big butt.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PhoenixDark said:
Obama's wife reminds me of Sherry Palmer for some reason. I bet she's verbally abusing to Obama behind closed doors :(

687098514_small.jpg

24 might of had it right. A black family in office does look good.

besada

Banned
Hitokage said:
Before corporation was a pejorative, we had trusts. We've been down that road before a century ago, and congress was controlled by industry just as much if not moreso then, but things changed for the better. Seeing just how awful things were back then and the similarities to today's trends gives me some reason to be optimistic even though I have more reason not to be.

The trusts were much weaker than modern corporations, and had less tools with which to fight. Beyond 100 years of writing their own laws, these are now multinationals, capable of influencing events abroad and wrecking economies if they need to.

I wish I still believed we could back out of that, but there's no reason for the multinats and the perpetually rich to let us. Things are going the way they want things to go. The people are poorly educated, easily distracted, and it's easier to give them bread and circuses than to do anything real for them.

I've voted in every election since 1988. Both the guys I voted for and the guys I've voted against are basically the same guys in the background, where it counts. I'm not a Nader guy who thinks there are no differences, but the differences aren't so great that I was pleased with any of them.

I'm glad the kids are optimistic, because no one should have to grow up knowing their country ceased being theirs before they were born. I just can't really keep on kidding myself. Until we acknowledge what's happened, it's hard to even talk about solutions.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
besada said:
The trusts were much weaker than modern corporations, and had less tools with which to fight. Beyond 100 years of writing their own laws, these are now multinationals, capable of influencing events abroad and wrecking economies if they need to.

I wish I still believed we could back out of that, but there's no reason for the multinats and the perpetually rich to let us. Things are going the way they want things to go. The people are poorly educated, easily distracted, and it's easier to give them bread and circuses than to do anything real for them.
As I said, I'm fully aware of the extremely good reasons to be pessimistic.

...but, in the end, corporations exist with the rights they claim because governments let them. It doesn't have to be that way.

syllogism

ABC News' Karen Travers Reports: New Hampshire Deputy Secretary of State Dave Scanlan told ABC News that turnout among primary voters today is "absolutely huge" -- and there are concerns about running out of ballots in towns like Portsmouth, Keene, Hudson and Pelham.

"Turnout is absolutely huge and towns are starting to get concerned that they may not have enough ballots," Scanlan said. "We are working on those issues. Everything else seems to be going smoothly."

Scanlan said that the Secretary of State's office is sending additional ballots to Portsmouth and Keene (traditionally Democratic strongholds), Hudson (Republican leaning with significant numbers of independents) and Pelham (large number of independents).

According to Scanlan, the ballot strain seems to be on Democratic ballots, which suggests that the undeclared voters are breaking for the Democratic primary. New Hampshire Secretary of State William Gardner predicted that 90,000 undeclared voters would vote in the Democratic primary compared to 60,000 voting in the Republican primary.

Deputy Secretary Scanlan said based on a formula anticipating higher turnout, they printed additional ballots, but in most cases towns will go "right down to the wire with ballots they need." The extra ballots will be insurance ballots in most places so election officials have a comfort level.

Scanlan said reports from polling places show that turnout has been steady and high though the morning but typically high activity periods will be lunch and after work.

Good news for Obama

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
besada said:
I've voted in every election since 1988. Both the guys I voted for and the guys I've voted against are basically the same guys in the background, where it counts. I'm not a Nader guy who thinks there are no differences, but the differences aren't so great that I was pleased with any of them.

This is straight BS! No way possible.

Pimpwerx

Hitokage said:
As I said, I'm fully aware of the extremely good reasons to be pessimistic.

...but, in the end, corporations exist with the rights they claim because governments let them. It doesn't have to be that way.
Yeah, but they have more money for lobbyists, and thus more money to dictate policy. It's a vicious cycle. PEACE.

Cheebs

BenjaminBirdie said:
Follow the link.

God, Bill. I used to like you, man. What happened.
He is DESPERATE for his legacy. If his wife gets elected it will make "The Clintons" an important part of history and will have books written about him & her for decades to come if not 100's of years from now. If hillary falls apart he'll just be an above average president during a solid economic period. His place in history is riding on this election. He has possibly more at stake than her.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Cheebs

funkmastergeneral said:
i'll go vote for whoever you want if you paypal me 5 dollars! I don't even know where to go vote today =/
GO VOTE. NH has the most sway in elections next to Iowa, not to vote if you are there is absurd.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
perfectchaos007 said:
TheKingsCrown said:
drudge is reporting that tons of towns are running out of ballots :-0
CONTROVERSY!

CONSPIRACY! They've got plenty of ballots really, but they refuse to hand them out to Ron Paul supporters, claiming there are none left.

Tamanon

Banned
iapetus said:
CONSPIRACY! They've got plenty of ballots really, but they refuse to hand them out to Ron Paul supporters, claiming there are none left.

It's the Democratic primary that the ballots are running low on.

methodman

Banned
Tamanon said:
:lol

Those cheats don't want Obama the Rock Barack to win dammit. I watched the replay of him on The Daily Show, he's so awesome :*)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Tamanon said:

It's scum like you who refuse to acknowledge voters' rights to elect Ron Paul as the Democratic candidate who are destroying this country. What are you afraid of?

MSNBC is right on top of Internet fads and will be interviewing Obama girl AFTER THE BREAK!

Christ, has anybody over there not used a computer in the last 6 months?

ConfusingJazz said:
MSNBC is right on top of Internet fads and will be interviewing Obama girl AFTER THE BREAK!

Christ, has anybody over there not used a computer in the last 6 months?

Wowsers. Did anyone see that fainting lady? Obama gave her HIS OWN water!

POLAND SPRING A TON.

Cheebs

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wowsers. Did anyone see that fainting lady? Obama gave her HIS OWN water!

POLAND SPRING A TON.
It was partially drank too. She got to have obama backwash IN HER VERY MOUTH. How amazing...etc

Triumph

Banned
Hootie said:
So when exactly will we start seeing the actual numbers? It says that the polls are closing in 4 hours.
Probably right at 8. By law, I don't think they can start releasing numbers before the polls close.

Hootie

Triumph said:
Probably right at 8. By law, I don't think they can start releasing numbers before the polls close.

Ah, alright.

I'm slightly tired anyway, I'll just take a quick nap to pass the time by faster. Or I can play Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom