• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Shard said:
Some XBLA Sales Numbers courtesy of Penny-Arcade.

So the game has been out for a few days now and I can share a couple numbers with you. It turns out that we had the third best launch ever as far as units sold in the 3 day launch window. The actual list looks like this. Keep in mind that this is just for the 360.

#1 RezHD, 25k units
#2 Ikaruga, 22.5k units
#3 PAA Episode 1, 16.5k units
#4 N+, 13k units

You got those numbers courtesy of Penny-Arcade, but I don't think you want to know where Penny-Arcade got those numbers.....
banned site!
And Penny-Arcade is incorrect: It's not the third best launch ever, it's the third best launch since
banned site
started keeping track, which explains why they are all recently released XBLA games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It is funny you should mention ioi Haven since the guy who does the XBLA numbers posted in this very thread a few days ago.

xbhaskarx

Penny-Arcade said:
So the game has been out for a few days now and I can share a couple numbers with you. It turns out that we had the third best launch ever as far as units sold in the 3 day launch window.

The phrase "I can share a couple numbers with you" implies that Penny-Arcade has some exclusive MS sales data that is not available to the public, when in reality they are
1) not official numbers but estimates by some guy (who posted in this very thread!), and
2) already freely available to anyone who cares to look for them online.
And he got the "third best launch ever" part wrong, as previously stated...

Keep up the good work, guys!

Well, since PA is a restricted download according to my IP region (dawm MS and its dumb Mature policy restrictions) I am a sales -1. I would like to contribute to your numbers, PA, but I can't.

i had a dream yesterday that Sega announced Phantasy Star Online HD. A straight port of the DC/GC game with a new dungeon and hi-res grapihcs...then i woke up :( i saw the logo and everything. Why the fuck isn't sega as smart in real life as they are in my dreams?

xbhaskarx said:
You got those numbers courtesy of Penny-Arcade, but I don't think you want to know where Penny-Arcade got those numbers.....
banned site!
And Penny-Arcade is incorrect: It's not the third best launch ever, it's the third best launch since
banned site
started keeping track, which explains why they are all recently released XBLA games.

It's the 3rd best of '08...If you go read the actual post (which was merely in the comments section with numbers that I guestimated from my previous week postings), you'd understand I listed 2008 titles only (listed Poker Smash, Brain Challenge, Metal Slug 3, ect)...No idea what Gabe was smoking when he said that.

If you care to want my
banned site data
, just ask. I have decent estimates for where PAA and the other, higher games rank in the grand scheme of XBLA. Nevertheless, Rez HD *might* be like #3 all time, if it's lucky....Again, *if* you take my estimates as somewhat reliable estimates.

Sean

Banned
I'm interested in seeing what the actual sales numbers are for the Penny Arcade game as it's the first $20 game on XBLA. It seems to have been selling well on the first day at least.

Rlan

cribbage1.jpg

In the latest update of "Sierra games that get revealed far ahead of time", the OFLC rating has added a new game to their website - Cribbage!

Much like the case with Zombie Wranglers, the game is being published by Sierra Online, in which all previous Xbox Live Arcade games have been rated by, while games normally released are under the Sierra Entertainment label.

http://www.xblah.net/2008/05/ratings-watch-gin-rummy-not-enough-for.html

Anyone up for Cribbage? :D

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:00 AM Gamerscore News
Experience the First Sudoku Game for Xbox LIVE Arcade, "Buku Sudoku" and Battle Friends with Atari's Classic, "Warlords," Both Launching This Wednesday!

“Buku Sudoku,” the first and only Sudoku game available on Xbox LIVE Arcade and Atari’s arcade classic “Warlords,” both launch on Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, 28 May, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

Experience the excitement of the world’s hottest number game sensation on Xbox LIVE Arcade with “Buku Sudoku.” The title upgrades the traditional paper-and-pencil game with beautiful HD graphics, informative tutorials, multiple grid sizes and new ways to enjoy the game via multiplayer modes. With multiple themes that allow players to choose the audio and visual environment, over 1,200 puzzles total and three levels of difficulty, “Buku Sudoku” has something for everyone.

“Buku Sudoku” multiplayer modes feature support for up to four players offline and up to eight players via Xbox LIVE. More casual players can experience the game with friends and family through the cooperative mode, and competitive players will enjoy an entirely new concept – an active duel where the player’s performance directly impacts his opponent’s puzzle.

Developed by Merscom, “Buku Sudoku” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more details on “Buku Sudoku” please visit:

• http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/bukusudokuxboxlivearcade/

“Warlords” offers single and multiplayer action as up to four players battle to protect their fortress from attack, while battering down their opponents’ at a frenetic pace! Defend yourself from incoming fire with your mighty shield and smash down your enemies’ defenses by firing flaming balls at them, or blast a hole through and bring their Warlord tumbling down along with his castle walls!

“Warlords” returns in both a pixel-perfect copy of the original arcade cabinet game, plus a brand new “Evolved” version featuring cool new 3D graphics and the opportunity to be your own Warlord using the live video feed! Single player is supported, along with 2, 3, and 4 player local and Xbox LIVE multiplayer choices.

Developed by Stainless Games, “Warlords” will be available worldwide (with the exception of Japan and Korea) for 400 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more details on “Warlords” please visit:

• http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360

Gowans

Phew no releases I'm looking forward to, Im away on a festival holiday for three weeks from tonight, it will be bad enough having NG2, Lego Indi, MGS4 (and the rest of GTA4) to play when I get back.

Thankyou Arcade team for taking this into consideration so I am not further inconvenienced by the next few weeks releases. :D

You may release Castle Crashers and Bionic Commando after the 11th, thanks

Gowans007 said:
You may release Castle Crashers and Bionic Commando after the 11th, thanks
Castle Crashers won't be out any time soon. When the developers said that the game was basically done, they also stated that it might only be available months from now.

Gowans

MicVlaD said:
Castle Crashers won't be out any time soon. When the developers said that the game was basically done, they also stated that it might only be available months from now.

Yeah I know thats fine with me as long as no great games come out before the 11th the XBLA team shall remain in my good books. ;)

Man another crappy week. I can't remember the last time I purchased a game. For some odd reason I thought Commando 3 is coming out this week, weird.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chiaroscuro said:
Did anyone dare to try the titles??

Possible I would get Sudoku if it was 400 pts. No way for 800 pts.

You really shouldn't, especially since Buku Sudoku is free on other services.

Jonnyram

I think people buying Sudoku would give MS the green light to turn down further arcade games in preference for horrendous dogshit, so DON'T DO IT.

Rlan

Jonnyram said:
I think people buying Sudoku would give MS the green light to turn down further arcade games in preference for horrendous dogshit, so DON'T DO IT.

Eh, Sudoku is Sudoku. It can be played anywhere. It's not for us really but I can imagine some people who would love it.

Now another Sudoku game, that's just cruel.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Jonnyram said:
Ketsui and DoDonPachi were already denied. Further crimes against arcade gaming would pale to this injustice.

Princess Skittles said:
Ketsui and DoDonPachi were already denied. Further crimes against arcade gaming would pale to this injustice.

Sudoku to be in the service isn't that bad, but to green light several Stainless ports of old Atari games and deny Ketsui and DoDonPachi is really a great offense to the universe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dark Octave said:
Sodoku...isn't there already one or two Sodoku titles on XBLA? Stop with the filler/quick buck titles already and bring the real.

Actuually, and you may be shocked to learn this, Buku Sudoku is the first and (so far) only XBLA Sudoku game.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877156p1.html

May 28, 2008 - Yuke's Company of America announced today that Double D Dodgeball has received certification for a release on Xbox Live Arcade. The title will be exclusive to the Microsoft download service and will arrive this summer at a cost of 800 Microsoft Points ($10 US).

Double D Dodgeball will bring the much loved playground game to XBLA with four ball types, multiple playing surfaces, eight player online matches and several different playing modes. It will also feature both Eastern and Western rules.

"With Double D Dodgeball, we've been able to capture the spirit of classic playground dodgeball that we all grew up with, integrate a defined set of rules known in the East and West, and take it to Xbox Live," said Ken Koyama, Manager of Product Development at Yuke's Company of America. "Instead of meeting up on the hot playground, you can go on Xbox Live Arcade and blast your friend with ball from the comfort of your couch."

You may be wondering what the heck the difference between East and West rules are. The press release accompanying the announcement has those details:

West Arena
# Traditional method where two teams square off in an arena separated by a center line.
# Hit an opponent to knock them out.
# "Out" players are sent to the sidelines located behind their team's side of the court.
# Return when a teammate knocks out an opponent.

East Arena
# Arena contains a center line, and an outfield located around the outside of the court.
# One player from each team starts in the opponent's outfield and can throw balls at the other team.
# "Out" players are sent to the outfield. Hit an opponent from there to reenter the match.

Double D Dodgeball has been rated "E" for Everyone by the ESRB.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14256729/imgs_1.html

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Got another round of codes again. This time I have one code for Uno and one for Geowars Evolved.

Remember, codes are only valid for US residents, unforunately. :( Just PM me and I'll give the codes out there.

kbear

A lot of these games should be no more than 400 points. I'd buy so many many more just on impulse because "hey, it's only 5 bucks".

Also, have they thought about lowering the price of the games to be de-listed to 400 points? I know a few of them already are but the others. Maybe they would sell more at 400 or even less. If you're going to de-list them, you might as well put them on sale.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IGN Xbox 360 Reviews Warlords:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877468p1.html

Warlords Review
The fun is in another castle.
by Ryan Geddes

May 28, 2008 - Ah, the 1980s. A simpler time when videogames were new and imaginations ran wild. Take Atari's classic 1980 arcade game Warlords, for example. It was really nothing more than a mix between Breakout and four-way Pong done in day-glo colors, but it conjured up images of doughty kings defending their lands against violent interlopers.

Back then our eager young brains filled in the blanks, but we've since been spoiled by decades of videogame evolution. For a game like Warlords to be relevant today, it would need a major overhaul. The idea of four-way multiplayer castle-themed breakout was totally tubular in the '80s, but can it survive the rigors of modern expectations?

This week, Atari re-released Warlords onto Xbox Live Arcade with a 400 MS pt. ($5) price tag and a shined-up high-definition treatment. And although the old-school crenellated version remains as a "Classic" mode, the real focus is on the "Evolved" mode, which replaces the castles, kings and fireballs of the original with glittery blocks, futuristic robots and blazing energy orbs.

Despite the posh look, the gameplay is entirely unchanged. In each of the four corners of the playfield are color-coded bases belonging to each player. Each has a shield (controlled by the left analog stick) that slides along the outside of the base for protection against the deadly spheres that bounce around the screen. Holding down the A button or the right trigger allows you to catch a ball as it hits your defenses, charge it up and release it with more force at your target, at a slight cost to your own fort's structural integrity.

And that's all there is to it. Although you can choose your difficulty level at the beginning of each round, there's essentially only one mode to Warlords: Hit the ball back and forth over and over again until you're the last one standing. There's also a "Full Throttle" mode, which simply doubles the speed of the game and is more of a novelty than a viable game type.

Although the game runs smoothly and is actually quite pretty to look at, it's a one-trick pony that gets tiresome very quickly. There are no power-ups, the sound effects are blasé, and the entire playfield is squished into a perfect square in the center of a widescreen display, making the entire experience feel claustrophobic and a bit random, especially when all four bases are in play.

The remaining 50 percent of the screen (for widescreen displays) has been reserved for the Xbox Live Vision camera, allowing each player to serve their image up next to their fort in multiplayer mode. Kudos to Atari and Stainless Games for being so supportive of the Vision camera, but opening the playfield up might have been a better bet.

Warlords supports multiplayer both locally and online, and both ran well when we tested them. The game is a bit more fun when playing against real people, but not by much. You can play Classic mode (a simple emulation of the original cocktail table arcade version) with friends locally, but only the Evolved mode works with Xbox Live multiplayer.

The Classic mode is good for some nostalgia, but the Xbox 360's analog stick is a hopeless substitute for the paddle controls of the original arcade and Atari 2600 versions. Moving your shield with the left stick is awkward and clunky in Classic, even after adjusting the controller sensitivity in the options menu.

Closing Comments
Although the price is low and the graphics have been given an HD overhaul, Warlords feels dated and tired, and there's not much here to keep gamers interested for long. Warlords is a classic, to be sure, but its transition to XBLA leaves us shrugging our shoulders.

IGN Ratings for Warlords (X360)
Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information

6.0 Presentation
Claustrophobic playfield, limited modes and poor controls in Classic mode.

7.5 Graphics
Warlords has definitely been sassed up in Evolved mode. Light, shadow and effects are handled well, but there's not much character to the overall look.

5.0 Sound
Music is uninspired, and the sound of breaking blocks is dull and lifeless.

5.0 Gameplay
Warlords works well enough as a glitzed up port of a classic title, but the era of basic block-breaking is over.

4.0 Lasting Appeal
There's really only one mode in Warlords, and whether you play at normal speed or "full throttle," it gets old pretty quickly, even online.

Meh OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.destructoid.com/help-loa...heir-xbla-title-things-on-wheels--87759.phtml

Paris-based developer Load Inc. need your help. They've nearly completed work on their upcoming Xbox LIVE Arcade R.C. racing title, Things on Wheels. They've included 20 tracks (including a disco and a mini-movie theater!), 12 cars, and the power-ups. But now it's time for the important stuff -- the achievements.

Destructoid is teaming up with Load Inc. to give you the opportunity to help choose two achievements that will appear in Things on Wheels. The two winners will not only have their achievements unlockable in the final game, but their names will appear in the game's credits, which will help them win friends and dates.

Being a part of this is simple -- just comment here with your achievement suggestions, and on Friday, May 30, Load Inc. will hand pick their two favorites. Need inspiration? Examples of achievements already in the game include: "Find the Mad Tracks Car" and "Play a co-op game with a real player (Live or split-screen)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom