• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma Double Execution Botched: "We're going to close the blinds temporarily."

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
I would prefer a firing squad.
You wouldn't. It rarely works correctly, because most people on firing squads don't actually want to kill anybody and try to avoid hitting any critical parts, so they aim for the arms, legs, the stomach - or they miss altogether.

Yagharek

Don't think anyone will become evil from this scenario....with these type of crimes I always want to know how the victim's family feels.

I think the governors who are happy to execute people with untried and exceedingly painful methods qualify as becoming evil.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What the fuck Japan? Didn't know about that

Japan doesn't incarcerate many people and I think only has like 100 something on death row, but I think death row conditions are shitty.

You also don't find out you're being executed until the day you're being executed and your family / legal reps. don't know until after.

Monocle

Personally I believe that occasionally torturing condemned people to death can only improve the stellar record of capital punishment as a deterrent.

Also torture basically gives the state a multiplier bonus for justice. If it's just to kill criminals long after they're in custody and present no danger to society, then subjecting them to agony first has got to be even better.

Yagharek

Personally I believe that occasionally torturing condemned people to death can only improve the stellar record of capital punishment as a deterrent.

Torturing people in Guantanamo Bay obviously stopped insurgents in Afghanistan.

edit: you're being sarcastic I hope.

I don't understand this shit at all. People are rendered unconscious for surgery all the time and no one ever wakes up in the middle. Why isn't it trivial to knock these guys out and then kill them however you want?

Monocle

Torturing people in Guantanamo Bay obviously stopped insurgents in Afghanistan.
Yeah, I think there must be a form of telepathy at play, where the extreme distress of prisoners magically conveys to distant insurgents an impulse to put down their guns and pick up American flags.

It's science.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't understand this shit at all. People are rendered unconscious for surgery all the time and no one ever wakes up in the middle. Why isn't it trivial to knock these guys out and then kill them however you want?

Well when the old drugs worked, the person could take minutes to die but be unconscious in under a minute when chemicals reached their brain, so that wasn't really needed.

Has someone ever been on death row with a life threatening food allergy then requested that for their last meal and died before they could be injected? That'd be kind of cool. Man requests entire tub of peanut butter then..

( x‿x)

Spartacus

Japan has the death penalty and also has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Not to say that the death penalty affects crime rates, I don't think it does, but I lived in Australia which doesn't have the death penalty and with the vicious and senseless violence that frequently happens in that country it doesn't seem more civilised, at all.

It's unfortunate what happened to that piece of shit who buried the girl alive, he should have had a quick painless death. I hope as he was suffering he had an epiphany of what that poor girl must have endured at his hands.

I don't think there is any real evidence that performing the death penalty has any influence on the crime numbers.

It's still a mystery to me why it is done, death itself is not a real punishment, it's just a way to make sure the criminal will never return into society. There are other ways to be sure of that.

Or does the court assume that they will go to hell and suffer there when they die? Is that the real punishment?
Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me...

Water

You wouldn't. It rarely works correctly, because most people on firing squads don't actually want to kill anybody and try to avoid hitting any critical parts, so they aim for the arms, legs, the stomach - or they miss altogether.
That's a direct result of trying to arrange the execution so that the executioners get to believe and/or pretend they had no personal responsibility in the outcome - and what do you know, the result is that they have no responsibility and are free to fuck it up. It is spineless and misguided. If a death penalty is just, then it shouldn't be a problem carrying it out in a straightforward way with one executioner, which is perfectly reliable. If people have to dance around it, dress it up and pretend it's something other than what it is, that's a pretty clear sign it should be abandoned altogether.

E92 M3

If humans didn't exist, there wouldn't be anything to observe it being in a better condition, so what would be the point?

Not saying there is a point, just it would be what it would be. Human beings are a destructive force. I think we're the cruelest animals in nature.

Actually, some people do gain awareness in the middle of surgery. And let me tell you, that happening is one of the scariest things ever.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Something something karma. After reading what he did I'm totally fine with how this went down. Yes yes I know, I'm a savage monster.

wsippel

Banned
Actually, some people do gain awareness in the middle of surgery. And let me tell you, that happening is one of the scariest things ever.
Yep. Happened to me once. Luckily, the local anesthesia still worked so I didn't feel any pain, but it's not something I'd want to experience ever again.

Xtyle

The cruel lack of empathy or indeed humanity in this thread is astounding.

We don't live in the dark ages, what happened to forgiveness, compassion and mercy for your enemies?

But who cares right? Just tear 'em apart!

what do forgiveness, compassion and mercy have to do with executing them? these can be different things. In your case, we shouldn't even jail people then because people suffer in jails.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Death penalties are iffy. Personally, serial killers who premeditate murder and have an onslaught of victims and don't retain any regret can bite the bullet. But if some of you think the death penalty is the most inhumane and unnecessary product of prisons and the justice system, I beg to differ. Isolation is hundreds of times worse. Living without human contact for twenty years in a small concrete room with no chance to ever see daylight is so cruel and damaging. That's fucking torture. It's by far worse than ending someone's life, because at least then they won't experience it anymore. But this will forever go back and forth.

If I had to choose between the isolation block and death, I would ask that you kill me.

Death penalties are iffy. Personally, serial killers who premeditate murder and have an onslaught of victims and don't retain any regret can bite the bullet. But if some of you think the death penalty is the most inhumane and unnecessary product of prisons and the justice system, I beg to differ. Isolation is hundreds of times worse. Living without human contact for twenty years in a small concrete room with no chance to ever see daylight is so cruel and damaging. That's fucking torture. It's by far worse than ending someone's life, because at least then they won't experience it anymore. But this will forever go back and forth.

If I had to choose between the isolation block and death, I would ask that you kill me.

Until you're put in the situation of choosing, I don't think you could say for sure what you would prefer. The appeals process for a lot of these prisoners shows that not a lot of them agree with you, they'd rather prolong what little life they have in their cell for as long as possible.

I agree with you though that isolation is torture in itself, just playing devil's advocate.

CrankyJay

Banned

Isn't this why they don't load their own weapons and only one gun is actually loaded with a live round?

Alienous

I don't get the Batman morality. Some people, sadly, are better for society at large dead. My only issue is innocent people being on death row. Crimes based on that level of circumstantial evidence shouldn't have their supposed perpetrators executed.

I don't think it makes 'us' as 'bad' as 'them'.

Botched, pained executions are fucked up, though. Only because executed would have been informed otherwise.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't get the Batman morality. Some people, sadly, are better for society at large dead. My only issue is innocent people being on death row. Crimes based on that level of circumstantial evidence shouldn't have their supposed perpetrators executed.

I don't think it makes 'us' as 'bad' as 'them'.

Botched, pained executions are fucked up, though. Only because executed would have been informed otherwise.

What does the death penalty do that a life sentence doesnt?

EndGame82

Banned
The whole "Cruel and unusual" argument could be painted and interperted however you want really.

I could formulate a valid argument that making someone stay locked down 23 hours a day in a 6x8 concrete room for the next 100 years of their life is more cruel and unusual than a quick death.

Let me ask you this question: If this story of a convicted murderer writhing in agony during a botched execution prevents one single potential murderer from pulling the trigger for fear of it happening to him, are we not a "better society" for it?

We all die, and it does not make us a lesser evolved society for feeling a sense of karmatic retribution when a man who savagely took a life loses his in the same manner.

I don't think there is any real evidence that performing the death penalty has any influence on the crime numbers.

It's still a mystery to me why it is done, death itself is not a real punishment, it's just a way to make sure the criminal will never return into society. There are other ways to be sure of that.

Or does the court assume that they will go to hell and suffer there when they die? Is that the real punishment?
Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me...

Not sure why but you seem to consciously ignore I specifically said in my post I don't think the death penalty affects crime rates. Of course death is a punishment. Prisoners can study, play video games, read books, have relationships etc. They can still derive some pleasure from life. Removing all that, depriving them of their very existence is the ultimate punishment.

Let me ask you this question: If this story of a convicted murderer writhing in agony during a botched execution prevents one single potential murderer from pulling the trigger for fear of it happening to him, are we not a "better society" for it?

That is fucking stupid. Allow me to demonstrate:

Let me ask you this question: If this story of a convicted murderer writhing in agony during a botched execution enrages someone so much that they go on a killing spree against public servants, are we not a "worse society" for it?

EndGame82

Banned
That is fucking stupid. Allow me to demonstrate:

Let me ask you this question: If this story of a convicted murderer writhing in agony during a botched execution enrages someone so much that they go on a killing spree against public servants, are we not a "worse society" for it?

It's stupid to you because it doesn't fit your personal ideology. That was kind of my point. It works both ways.

Our opinions are all based on our own little world that we live in.

sonicmj1

You don't even have a rational opinion. You stated that whoever performs the execution should themselves be executed the same way.

So in this case, the doctors performing this lethal injection should themselves be injected for performing it.

My rationale is that the punishment fits the crime in the truest sense of the term.

You make no sense, and I'm not even sure you know what this thread is about.

You're not following things. Let's walk this back a bit.

The victim didn't get a humane death, she got a brutal death.

How does giving this guy a quick, painless, death make us "better"? I see it as the exact opposite. It would be insulting to give this guy an easy out.

Honestly, he should have gotten a load of buckshot in his stomach, kicked into a grave, and dirt shoveled onto him. That's what she got, after all.

You said that someone who gives his victim a "brutal death" deserves having the same thing happen to them. So by your logic, what does the man who gives this murderer a "brutal death" deserve?

The whole "Cruel and unusual" argument could be painted and interperted however you want really.

I could formulate a valid argument that making someone stay locked down 23 hours a day in a 6x8 concrete room for the next 100 years of their life is more cruel and unusual than a quick death.

We all die, and it does not make us a lesser evolved society for feeling a sense of karmatic retribution when a man who savagely took a life loses his in the same manner.

While I'm not sure how it ranks compared to a "quick death" (which as we can see in this case isn't such a simple thing to assure), you can formulate a pretty compelling argument that long-term solitary confinement is cruel and unusual. The mental health effects are horrifying.

As to your second point, there are decades of statistics comparing different nations and states with and without capital punishment, and there's no real correlation between the presence of the death penalty and a reduction in crime. Anyone who plans out a murder well in advance probably doesn't intend to get caught. Anyone who murders impulsively isn't considering the consequences.

Yagharek

Machiavelli would cry at this comment.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If this is actually true then why are the murder and crime rates in America still so high?

This is not going to change anything. Social changes are more likely change things than lowering society to barbarism.

andthebeatgoeson

If anything, this will humanize the death row inmates. They have enough sense to close the blinds but are blind to what there actions will do to the population's view on the death penalty.

Humans keep proving they can't function on love alone. They need pity.

MacNille

Banned
If they are going to execute them (I'm against it) Then just shoot them in the back of the head with a rifle. Just do what the Soviet did when they execute people: Shoot them back in the head. Or better yet, don't execute people.

Spartacus

Not sure why but you seem to consciously ignore I specifically said in my post I don't think the death penalty affects crime rates. Of course death is a punishment. Prisoners can study, play video games, read books, have relationships etc. They can still derive some pleasure from life. Removing all that, depriving them of their very existence is the ultimate punishment.

Yeah, i just confirmed what you said, If there is a lot of crime in a country does not automatically make it uncivilised, it's the way a country deals with it that makes it civilized or not. Death panality is one of the most uncivilized ways to do that.

You have to have some sort of conscience to experience it as a punishment, with death, the punishment stops.

Kinyou

Japan doesn't incarcerate many people and I think only has like 100 something on death row, but I think death row conditions are shitty.

You also don't find out you're being executed until the day you're being executed and your family / legal reps. don't know until after.
Doesn't Japan have something close to a 99% conviction rate? That's the really scary part to me
I think my long winded question got buried.

Anyone able to take a stab at it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110053090&postcount=294
Yeah wonder that as well. How do they manage to kill a horse peacefully but not a human? Or are pets perhaps sometimes suffering during euthanasia as well?

If they are going to execute them (I'm against it) Then just shoot them in the back of the head with a rifle. Just do what the Soviet did when they execute people: Shoot them back in the head. Or better yet, don't execute people.

In an effort to make these deaths more humane, we run the risk of cases like in the OP. Personally, I don't feel to sorry for the dude because of his crime, but I do think there could be better methods of implementing the death penalty. A bullet to the brain is pretty damn effective and painless, albeit messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom