• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old] Sony Reports Q1 Financial Results - $191 Mil Loss For The Total Company [Old]

kadotsu

Banned
Raonak said:
link? (if true, suprising x360 went down from last year too, since kinect and everything, and NDP, but us != world)

Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

FY 2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

FY 2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

FY 2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

FY 2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

FY 2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

FY 2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7      13.7     55.3 (*)

Code:
Timeframe       Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn
PS3              2.1       1.8
360              2.7       1.7

The 360 has shipped more this calendar year but the PS3 has shipped more in the last 12 months.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Averon said:
So, Sony shipped 1.8 million PS3s this quarter compared to 2.4 million last year. I don't know how Sony will hit anywhere near 15 milllion PS3s without a $100 price drop.

With a $100 price drop, they should be expecting more than 15 million. Most likely it will be a $50 price drop but who knows.

FateBreaker said:
Again, is this net loss for the entire company or the Playstation division?

There is no longer a playstation division, starting this year gaming is lumped together with tv's and other consumer products.

Cesar

Banned
Isn't Sony making a LOT of money with the PS2? It must be cheap as fuck to produce + the big software sales.

Raonak

Banned
Ah, the whole financial year thing confused me, didn't realise that sony Q1 is MS Q4.

Good for ps3 then! Guess the kinect effect is not as big as I assumed. or got burned out after the first quater of the year.

still not good for sony, who are bleeding money. They really need to do something about their other divisions.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Cesar said:
Isn't Sony making a LOT of money with the PS2? It must be cheap as fuck to produce + the big software sales.

I wouldn't say a lot of money, but I suppose it's good business for them in the developing markets.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is the first quarter with the new segments, right?

Game seems totally obfuscated in the new arrangement. Only specific mention is in the sales breakdown (Game sales were $1.546bn for the quarter, down 11.9% YoY).

outunderthestars said:
yep, I was reading last eyars numbers,. still odd that their forecast could be $4 billion off....
They paid billions of dollars in tax upfront, rather than over the coming years i think. Something like that.

Carl

All their hardware seems to be doing pretty well.

Dat PS2 though. Just keeps on trucking doesn't it. Wonder when it will actually die.

PS2 is the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey
jFSPr.jpg

Raistlin

outunderthestars said:
They are a lumbering giant of a company that makes too many products that people aren't interested in buying. The few products people might be interested in take too long to come to market and are too expensive by the time they get there.

They need to shed workforce, slim down, and focus on a few key areas. Otherwise they will go down in history as the GM of electronics.
This is all true ... though I would say they've been moving in the right direction.

Part of the issue is the economy. Many of their product lines are relatively low margin and in the entertainment field (non-essential splurge items). Most companies not named Apple have seen sluggish sales in many of their lines.

Raistlin

Zinga said:
If PS3 sales are down 25%, whilst 360 sales are up a significant amount, how can anyone say that PS3 is outselling 360 WW right now?
Deadly Joker said:
April through June HW (Shipped)

PS3 - 1.8
Xbox 360 - 1.7

pseudocaesar said:
Hardware is down but software is up, thats odd.
Install base

outunderthestars said:
yep, I was reading last eyars numbers,. still odd that their forecast could be $4 billion off....
I forgot, but wasn't there some accounting change or some sort of write-off they took that accounted for at least a portion of that?

I don't recall the details, but I seem to remember something about it.

kadotsu

Banned
Raistlin said:
This is all true ... though I would say they've been moving in the right direction.

Part of the issue is the economy. Many of their product lines are relatively low margin and in the entertainment field (non-essential splurge items). Most companies not named Apple have seen sluggish sales in many of their lines.

I think there biggest near future problem will be the 3D collapse. Sony should focus on getting OLED to a mass market size/price instead of pushing so hard for 3D. There gaming devision seems on the right track, though IMO.

mr_toa

lunchwithyuzo said:
PSP and PS3 shipped the same amount this quarter?

Indeed! With sales around 100.000 - 150.000 a month in Japan, still some solid numbers for the PSP in the remaining territories.

Xbox vs. PS3 at 1.7 and 1.8, factoring out US and JP numbers they both appear to close in Europe also, at least in that quarter.

edit: [shifted xbox vs ps3 numbers]

pseudocaesar said:
They paid billions of dollars in tax upfront, rather than over the coming years i think. Something like that.
There are pages and pages of discussion on this in the May thread. I would suggest that anyone who is curious go search out that thread but long story short they didn't pay taxes up front, they lost tax assets. Didn't affect the day to day operations but will affect future profits negatively as they will pay more taxes.

Meisadragon said:
I wouldn't say a lot of money, but I suppose it's good business for them in the developing markets.

As i've said in other threads:

1: People in emerging markets know all about the 360 and ps3 and wii. They don't live under a rock with their ears in their fingers. Hell, my argentinian relatives bought a wii for their kids back in mar del plata because the shit is so expensive over there. That being said, a lot of those markets still dont have a fully developed middle class and the ps2 is a crazy effective entry for them. All it does is spur further demands for the upper echelons of the technology.

2: In India, they call all game systems playstations, just like your mom calls everything a nintendo. The more sony becomes synonymous with video games in emerging markets, the more it can make up for the fact that america and the uk by themselves equal approximately all of the sales they make.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
So the PSP was the joint best selling console this quarter?

Software sales on pS3 are going well. Attach rate is now 8.97.

Carl said:
All their hardware seems to be doing pretty well.

Dat PS2 though. Just keeps on trucking doesn't it. Wonder when it will actually die.

They are only forecasting another 2.6 million ps2 sold in the next 9 months. I would say it will pretty much be dead by the end of the fiscal year.

Grinchy

Banned
Well, Japan must have good taste. My power went out the other night so I was forced to play my PSP, and once again I can't think about much other than Monster Hunter and Peace Walker.

Man said:
Price drop for sure at Gamescom.

$199 will be a superb price for the system.

Wait? Sony publishes not-that-great numbers and you expect them to drop price and lose more money?

I think price drop *maybe* this Xmas... not before.

Man

NemesisPrime said:
Wait? Sony publishes not-that-great numbers and you expect them to drop price and lose more money?

I think price drop *maybe* this Xmas... not before.
They have a 15m estimate after a year over year drop.
Cheaper model has already started rolling out to market.
Their lineup of strong 1st party games for the fall starts September 6th with Resistance 3 (gamescom is just mere two weeks before this, perfect for the announcement).
Price drop message need a bit of time to be full common knowledge for Xmas.

Man said:
Price drop for sure at Gamescom.

$199 will be a superb price for the system.

Anyone think it might be bad their handheld is more expensive than their console?

Edit: They should drop the price with the launch of Uncharted 3. It'll have an effect similar to that of Batman AA

Paracelsus

LightOfTruth said:
Anyone think it might be bad their handheld is more expensive than their console?

Edit: They should drop the price with the launch of Uncharted 3. It'll have an effect similar to that of Batman AA

Nonetheless, PSV won't be able to be pricutted for quite some time, it's not like they can keep PS3 to 299 much longer.

Man

LightOfTruth said:
It's always the norm. DS, PSP, 3DS..etc are more expensive than their living room counterparts at launch.

gofreak said:
This is the first quarter with the new segments, right?

Game seems totally obfuscated in the new arrangement. Only specific mention is in the sales breakdown (Game sales were $1.546bn for the quarter, down 11.9% YoY).

Yes, this is the side that lays it out:

16_image.jpg

Elios83

Well that confirms a PS3 price cut this year.
Although I don't think it will be 199€ based on their full year forecast. More like 249€ for the 160GB and 299€ for the 320GB+game bundle.
At Gamescom the 320GB bundle with Resistance 3 will be announced, probably at 299€.
I also think that both PSP and PS2 will end up beating their forecast considering Q1 sales.

It needs to be $199 if they are going to meet their forecast. $249 would merely stop the slide, $199 would boost sales. The first scenario would see around 14m sales, and Sony can't afford to miss their targets twice in a row, so they will have to drop to $199, even if they hit 16m, it's no loss. They can trumpet a better than expected result to the markets because they don't do it all the time.

€100 drop would be brilliant, but it seems unlikely, that's a helluva alot of money when multiplied by 13-17mil, not sure if the increase in sales would justify it. €50 seems much more likely. But then again if you factor in the increase in market share and increase in software sales i may be wrong...

French

Banned
A 50€ price cut would be okay if they also announce a new PS3 model ( since this one isn't named PS Three ).

Elios83

zomgbbqftw said:
It needs to be $199 if they are going to meet their forecast. $249 would merely stop the slide, $199 would boost sales. The first scenario would see around 14m sales, and Sony can't afford to miss their targets twice in a row, so they will have to drop to $199, even if they hit 16m, it's no loss. They can trumpet a better than expected result to the markets because they don't do it all the time.

With 199$/€ they would sell much more than 15m units.
50$ price cut seems perfect to have growth in the next quarters of the year and barely do better than the previous year (also considering the sales decline in Q1), which is what they're forecasting.
So I wouldn't expect 199$ at all. Would have been nice and needed to see PS3 reaching a mass market price in its fifth year of life, but they'll wait for next year.

French said:
A 50€ price cut would be okay if they also announce a new PS3 model ( since this one isn't named PS Three ).

The new model is the new SKU but unfortunately it's not a new redesign.
What I know is that retailers have already made orders for the new 160GB and 320GB PS3s, they're expected to ship in the first week of September.
Resistance 3 bundled with 320GB unit.

The problem is that they will miss their 15m target two years running with $249. Investors begin to get antsy if that happens, you can miss it once and it's not a big deal, but twice, in a row, and you're asking for trouble. Honestly Sony need to beat their targets this year to get the investors back on side, look at their LCD estimates, 22m for the year - it's extremely conservative because they need the good news at the end of this year.

$249 won't feel like a price cut for a lot of people since it is regularly discounted to around that through online retailers and in Europe €249 is almost standard price because of UK imports at £225 being sold on the mainland. No, €249 and the corresponding UK price, probably £209 would not be enough of a price cut to increase sales compared to last year. It will improve the current trend by maybe 15%, but flat to down YoY. $199/€199/£159 is the winning price point that takes them above 15m to show huge YoY growth and gives MS something to worry about. A $249 PS3 isn't going to give any real competition to a $149 360 and $249 Kinect bundle this holiday season and since MS won't be cutting the 4GB down to bargain basement $99 they would be steamrolled by a $199 PS3.

Elios83

zomgbbqftw said:
The problem is that they will miss their 15m target two years running with $249. Investors begin to get antsy if that happens, you can miss it once and it's not a big deal, but twice, in a row, and you're asking for trouble. Honestly Sony need to beat their targets this year to get the investors back on side, look at their LCD estimates, 22m for the year - it's extremely conservative because they need the good news at the end of this year.

$249 won't feel like a price cut for a lot of people since it is regularly discounted to around that through online retailers and in Europe €249 is almost standard price because of UK imports at £225 being sold on the mainland. No, €249 and the corresponding UK price, probably £209 would not be enough of a price cut to increase sales compared to last year. It will improve the current trend by maybe 15%, but flat to down YoY. $199/€199/£159 is the winning price point that takes them above 15m to show huge YoY growth and gives MS something to worry about. A $249 PS3 isn't going to give any real competition to a $149 360 and $249 Kinect bundle this holiday season and since MS won't be cutting the 4GB down to bargain basement $99 they would be steamrolled by a $199 PS3.

I think that a 249$ entry point and 299$ 320GB bundles with top games (Uncharted 3 and such) this holyday season will achieve the really moderate growth they're expecting for the fiscal year. On top of that retailers will make their offers. Imo their forecast is absolutely spot on for a 50€ price cut but we'll see at Gamescom.
As for Microsoft, they won't cut prices this year, they have already announced a 450$ Kinect bundle for the holyday season (300$ system + 150$ Kinect), they will do the usual game bundles in October, but right now they're really really confident in Kinect and they don't think they need a price cut at all.

Top Bottom