• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old] Sony Reports Q1 Financial Results - $191 Mil Loss For The Total Company [Old]

Ruud_Luiten said:
Wow... Ps2 hardware sales during ps3 lifecycle are the same as ps3 total...

Bad for PS3 or great for PS2 which way you want to spin it?

Sort of odd they're forecasting just 4m PS2's when it just did 1.4m in a slow quarter...

Anyways, it continues to look like PS3's going to have a really hard time catching 360 for second place with these last 2 quarters numbers. And it's July 28 2011, does it even matter anymore? At current trends it doesn't look likely to happen in the next year or so, because 360 usually has a strong 4th calender quarter where the USA gap tends to overwhelm Japan. So that would put us in to 2012 with no end in site...

That said, with RROD and all they're basically even. A ~2-3m gap with 50-60m sold means less and less. It's just a pyschological thing I guess.

Also, with WiiU coming and Wii likely to die off even faster (actually be killed off by Nintendo) after that, I think there's a chance the winner of PS3/360 ends the generation #1. Just as there's a chance when all is said and done 360 beats Wii for USA sales. The former is a bit of a long shot, and a tremendous amount depends on next gen timing for all parties, but it's possible. If Wii sales drop off a cliff, then the others will be gaining 12-15,per year, at which point a 30m+ deficit can be erased rather quickly. Anyway all speculation need more time on that one.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone know how profitable/unprofitable the CPS decision was before the gaming merge?

user_nat said:
Anyone know how profitable/unprofitable the CPS decision was before the gaming merge?
It wouldn't be much use to know anyway. Gaming hasn't been "gaming" for two years now, it was changed to "Networked Products and Services". As such it has been nigh on impossible to work out how gaming has been doing since 2009... at least when they don't say specifically what proprortion of NP&S revenue / profit was made by the gaming related products.

Nirolak said:
It's more of a factor of Sony as a whole.

Along with the price of the yen .
Man i really do feel sorry for Japanese companies that depend on foreign sales .
They getting hurt really bad right now .

can someone reasonably explain to me how this happened..was it because of the hacked psn, other past mistakes catching up or combined..shit...191 million dollars lost is still 191 million dollars lost

sTeLioSco

Banned
Mihael Mello Keehl said:
can someone reasonably explain to me how this happened..was it because of the hacked psn, other past mistakes catching up or combined..shit...191 million dollars lost is still 191 million dollars lost

sony isn't only about consoles....

mujun

DMPrince said:
oh. that loss isn't so bad. i was thinking billions with the shit happening to them recently.

Is all the loss from the PSN being down and the like going to show on this quarter's results or a later one?

Mihael Mello Keehl said:

According to their report it seems as if they are still feeling the effects of the earthquake in their business and I am sure the hacking incident didn't help either. But we are talking about the entire company here. They do alot.

I tried to do some math and it really seems like The 360 and the PS3 have thier strongholds in different parts of the world. Out of the 1.7 million 360 MS reported, looking at NPD reports 1 million of those were sold in the US alone. For the PS3 though, even when combining Media create sales it looks to be around 875k. So most of its sales were done outside those two markets.

Because it is information that is spread across so many areas it really makes it hard to try to predict these numbers without relying largely on guesswork.

Road

gofreak said:
This is the first quarter with the new segments, right?

Game seems totally obfuscated in the new arrangement. Only specific mention is in the sales breakdown (Game sales were $1.546bn for the quarter, down 11.9% YoY).
Yeah.

Might as well put everything together. I don't know whom they think they are fooling -- the dire situation of the company is obvious regardless.

Cornbread78

I think there will be a huge change in those number once we get the $199 PS3 on store shelves. I know a lot of XBox fanboys that are dying to by a cheap PS3 just to play Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance and other 1st party titles, which would be great for those devs. Unfortunately, they will still buy most of their Multi-plat games and play them on LIVE instead of PSN.

The price cut will also allow for some awesome hardware/software bundles on Black Friday and through the holidays...which would help as well....

Radec

zomgbbqftw said:
Greatest console of all time.

Wii won't even come close.

Indeed.

But to be fair, the PS2 doesn't have enemies who reached 50mil units during its golden age.

The Wii does, and there's also online gaming thats a pretty big deal breaker for the Wii.

NavNucST3

bigtroyjon said:
There is no longer a playstation division, starting this year gaming is lumped together with tv's and other consumer products.

I believe that is inaccurate; NPS is where gaming resides while CPS is where TV and Blu-ray players reside.

BKK

Psychotext said:
It wouldn't be much use to know anyway. Gaming hasn't been "gaming" for two years now, it was changed to "Networked Products and Services". As such it has been nigh on impossible to work out how gaming has been doing since 2009... at least when they don't say specifically what proprortion of NP&S revenue / profit was made by the gaming related products.

They still gave out details on just the gaming sector in the Q&A though, so maybe they will continue to if anyone asks, which someone usually does.

Forsete

Gold Member
NavNucST3 said:
I believe that is inaccurate; NPS is where gaming resides while CPS is where TV and Blu-ray players reside.

Isn't VAIO computers and Walkman players in the same category as the PlayStation brand?

NavNucST3 said:
From earlier post...

16_image.jpg

I was just doing the figures and a $249 price point won't get them to 15m, even by the most optimistic accounts they will fall short by around 500k.

The price cut has to be $199 to make the 15m target, and since they haven't restated to 14m I'm guessing they are serious about reaching it.

atre324

I agree it might be the combination of increased R&D/tech costs for upcoming consoles, or losses incurred by the whole PSN fiasco, but I can't help but wonder if the bad financials we're hearing about from both Nintendo AND Sony today is a sign that the global recession is finally catching up with the gaming industry.

I think it's entirely possible that the continued stagnation in japan combined with the US's downturn and loss of EU consumer confidence has left people increasingly unwilling or unable to spend as much money on gaming, particularly new devices. This probably accounts for apple's rise as well, with more and more people not being able to afford gaming beyond what their smartphones can provide.

Opiate

zomgbbqftw said:
I was just doing the figures and a $249 price point won't get them to 15m, even by the most optimistic accounts they will fall short by around 500k.

The price cut has to be $199 to make the 15m target, and since they haven't restated to 14m I'm guessing they are serious about reaching it.

It's a difficult choice. They once again have to choose between profits and marketshare, and I agree they appear to be choosing marketshare once again.

This certainly explains why Nintendo behaves the way they do. You've got a company that loses 5 Billion dollars on their home console, and yet they continue to push forward unrelentingly, even when facing possible continued losses.

Nintendo is a big company, but Sony is one of the largest media conglomerates in the world, and Nintendo can never hope to win a spending war when Sony behaves this way.

Man said:
Their lineup of strong 1st party games for the fall starts September 6th with Resistance 3
PS3 exclsuives have a history of not creating any significant bump in hardware sales numbers sans MGS4 in 2007. I don't think sequel farms will do much in that aspect tbh.

BKK

zomgbbqftw said:

They won't revise their forecast before they see what the effects of any price cut are. In fact I don't remember Sony ever revising their forecasts after just one quarter. They would have raised PS2 forecast otherwise.

BKK said:
They won't revise their forecast before they see what the effects of any price cut are. In fact I don't remember Sony ever revising their forecasts after just one quarter. They would have raised PS2 forecast otherwise.

They lowered their LCD TV shipment forecast from 27m to 22m after just one quarter. That they have stuck to the 15m projection means they expect to sell an absolute fuckton in Q4 (something like 7.5m) which is only possible with the $199 price.

BKK

zomgbbqftw said:
They lowered their LCD TV shipment forecast from 27m to 22m after just one quarter. That they have stuck to the 15m projection means they expect to sell an absolute fuckton in Q4 (something like 7.5m) which is only possible with the $199 price.

I was referring their gaming division, where sales are heavily weighted towards the third quarter, which is also the quarter where they generally plan for any price cuts.

BKK said:
I was referring their gaming division, where sales are heavily weighted towards the third quarter, which is also the quarter where they generally plan for any price cuts.

Price cuts at the end of Q2, August/September time.

At $249, my guesstimates based on past performance and sector growth among other factors:

Q2 - 3 - 3.5m
Q3 - 6 - 6.5m
Q4 - 2 - 2.5m

+ 1.8m already sold for a total of around 14m

At $199

Q2 - 3 - 3.5m
Q3 - 7.5 - 8m
Q4 - 2.5 - 3m

+ 1.8m giving a total of 16m, which allows Sony to crow that they have beaten the stated target and made up for last year's shortfall.

Tough choice for Sony, but the more aggressive strategy will allow Sony to push the PS3 for longer before it runs out of steam.

Sony can probably sell around 35m PS3s at $199 and introduce PS4 with a nice large installed base of PS3 gamers to buy software and subsidise any short term hardware losses for PS4, and it still leaves $149 accessible for when PS4 is already out and they need the "third pillar".

Averon

Another factor you have to consider is how more of a margin Sony is currently making off the latest PS3 revision (I know they had another revision very recently). No doubt Sony will want to avoid PS3 hardware losses after being profitable on it since the PS3 slim. However, maybe they're confident that the increase in software sales will offset the low to moderates hardware losses a $199 PS3 will bring.

Cornbread78

CadetMahoney said:
PS3 exclsuives have a history of not creating any significant bump in hardware sales numbers sans MGS4 in 2007. I don't think sequel farms will do much in that aspect tbh.

Not at their current price point, but if they can get it down to the $199 with the new SKU, they holiday sales could be pretty impressive and could bump the 1st party sales as well, especially Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3, since they will be the newest Exclusives on the market at that time.

I believe they have significant deferred revenue and up front taxes they paid early this quarter thus the loss. I believe they're projected to have signficant profit (as a company at least) next Q and Q4.

BKK

zomgbbqftw said:
Price cuts at the end of Q2, August/September time.

At $249, my guesstimates based on past performance and sector growth among other factors:

Q2 - 3 - 3.5m
Q3 - 6 - 6.5m
Q4 - 2 - 2.5m

+ 1.8m already sold for a total of around 14m

At $199

Q2 - 3 - 3.5m
Q3 - 7.5 - 8m
Q4 - 2.5 - 3m

+ 1.8m giving a total of 16m, which allows Sony to crow that they have beaten the stated target and made up for last year's shortfall.

Tough choice for Sony, but the more aggressive strategy will allow Sony to push the PS3 for longer before it runs out of steam.

Sony can probably sell around 35m PS3s at $199 and introduce PS4 with a nice large installed base of PS3 gamers to buy software and subsidise any short term hardware losses for PS4, and it still leaves $149 accessible for when PS4 is already out and they need the "third pillar".

Right, end of Q2, with the full effects seen in Q3.

Sony forecast 15m PS3s last year, but only sold just over 14m. It wasn't a big deal then, and it won't be if they miss their forecast by 1m this year.

14m x $50 = $700m (well over $1B taking into account next FY), just to crow that they beat their forecast by 1m. Last FY is forgotten, they don't have to "make up" for it.

It really isn't a tough choice, Sony don't want to be selling PS3 for a loss at this stage in it's life. The past has shown that they've repeatedly missed PS3 forecasts, and they'll choose to do so again rather than massively increasing losses.

Top Bottom