• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

Soundtrack is so good. OMG.

Please let me buy it Roll7.

Super impressed with the little improvements so far. Was there a quick restart that showed challenges in the first game?
That's what I've been saying:D

not really, I was just gushing about the music. But I'd definitely buy it!

And roll7 is making not a hero? I was already sold since the launch trailer but after playing olliolli2, takemymoney.jpeg

This is a lot harder using a DS4 vs the vita. If yall are having trouble and have a vita as well, I suggest you play it on that. Plus the game is better suited to quick portable play anyway imo

This is a lot harder using a DS4 vs the vita. If yall are having trouble and have a vita as well, I suggest you play it on that. Plus the game is better suited to quick portable play anyway imo
Cool, I just started the download. I'm using my brother's ds4 until I get a new one tomorrow and don't wanna wreck his lol.

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome! Didn't realise it was due so soon. Loved the first one on Vita, will make sure to get this too, no doubts.

First one was really damn addictive. Hard initially with the need to press X when you land, takes a little while to adjust. Loved the skill progression through the levels and I still pick it up every now and then to try and beat my hiscore. Really satisfying to pull of a well-timed run. Hopefully it's about £10 or less.

I made this, if you want to use it.

I28F80p.png

This game is a textbook example of a greatly improved sequel.

Olli 1 was awesome but this game is just amazing! Love it.

I also love that they added button controls to the Vita version :).

FHIZ

How do you do moves that seem to need a second movement, for example, a double heelflip. The move seems to be Hold L + half circle (left to right) then back a quarter circle... What? I keep doing laser flips or something completely wrong.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
How do you do moves that seem to need a second movement, for example, a double heelflip. The move seems to be Hold L + half circle (left to right) then back a quarter circle... What? I keep doing laser flips or something completely wrong.

Are you releasing the stick after the first half turn?

I've been excited about this, but am not happy to hear it's really difficult. Never played the original.

I don't know if I'll play it on Vita or PS4. I don't want to break my Vita's buttons/joystick by being too hard on it, though I'm usually careful, but also don't want to break my controller. That is, if it's that hard on them.

I've been excited about this, but am not happy to hear it's really difficult. Never played the original.

I don't know if I'll play it on Vita or PS4. I don't want to break my Vita's buttons/joystick by being too hard on it, though I'm usually careful, but also don't want to break my controller. That is, if it's that hard on them.

It has a learning curve but it's definitely one of those games where you can master the controls quickly but can take a long time to master the game completely.

It clicked for me when I played an actual level -> played the tutorial -> played level again as mostly it was my timing that was throwing me off.

I usually goof around in the first few levels to get the timing down on some of the more difficult tricks.

FHIZ

Are you releasing the stick after the first half turn?

I'm releasing the stick when I get to the bottom of the quarter circle, and it I just fail everytime. Doesn't help that I'm not finding a good place to do this (this game desperately needs a free mode that let's you practice tricks, but that's another story). I'm not sure if I have to pre-load a stick movement, if I'm jsut doing everything too slow, do I keep holding L (because it just makes me rotate most of the time) etc.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm releasing the stick when I get to the bottom of the quarter circle, and it I just fail everytime. Doesn't help that I'm not finding a good place to do this (this game desperately needs a free mode that let's you practice tricks, but that's another story). I'm not sure if I have to pre-load a stick movement, if I'm jsut doing everything too slow, do I keep holding L (because it just makes me rotate most of the time) etc.

It's hard to explain as I don't have the game to hand, but yeah you need to hold L and then pull off the half turn + quarter turn back in one swift movement, and then let go of L when you're in the air. If that's what you're doing, then it's just a case of practicing I'm afraid!

MattyG

Banned
Oh really? I'm having trouble getting perfect launches and stuff, even though I know I have the timing down. Figured it would be harder on the Vita, but now I'll have to give it a shot.

Also a tip from the first game that I had trouble with - not sure if it applies to this one

If you are having trouble with doing flips out of a grind and just ollieing every time - it's because when you get to the end of a rail your board auto-ollies out. You need to start the flip before you reach the end of the trail/ledge

Took me ages to figure that out

FHIZ

It's hard to explain as I don't have the game to hand, but yeah you need to hold L and then pull off the half turn + quarter turn back in one swift movement, and then let go of L when you're in the air. If that's what you're doing, then it's just a case of practicing I'm afraid!

Okay thanks. Yeah, like I said, I wish there was a practice level where there was just a big ramp you could do tricks off of, because the levels are so fast and when I'm focused on just trying to figure out how to do one trick it's just "okay NOW--nope, time to restart for the 143rd time"

Also a tip from the first game that I had trouble with - not sure if it applies to this one

If you are having trouble with doing flips out of a grind and just ollieing every time - it's because when you get to the end of a rail your board auto-ollies out. You need to start the flip before you reach the end of the trail/ledge

Took me ages to figure that out

Noted.

BashNasty

This game is a ton of fun so far. I dabbled with the first one on PC using an Xbox 360 controller, but the timings never really clicked for me. Not sure if the DS4 is better suited to it or if I'm just in a better state of mind to grasp the controls this time around, but I'm doing much, much better here. Already midway through the third world.

Still requires a fuckton of finger dexterity though.

Great sequel. Though personally I prefer the pixelated art style from the previous game. Also, no custom skater, still... ah well..

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I'm learning very quickly that I am shit at this game. Trying to learn how to land and the big "sloppy" appears is a big fat failure banner. I'm sure I'll get it, but again, I'm shit so far.

Man, I hope you guys don't get discouraged, and put the game down. It took the entirety on the amateur levels, just to learn how to land properly in the first game, and then I only learned how to grind properly when I went back to gather all the stars to unlock pro mode. You WILL get better. The controls are fine, just try to put in the time, if you can.

I can't wait to play this when I get home.

Man, I hope you guys don't get discouraged, and put the game down. It took the entirety on the amateur levels, just to learn how to land properly in the first game, and then I only learned how to grind properly when I went back to gather all the stars to unlock pro mode. You WILL get better. The controls are fine, just try to put in the time, if you can.

I can't wait to play this when I get home.

So you are saying this is the Dark Souls of skateboard games?

AwShucks

Maaannnn. This game feels so good. I forgot how addicted I became to the first one.

This is actually why I have to not play it yet despite wanting to. I played the first one and finished all challenges and amateur + pro levels and did a large number of the spots. This was all like three weeks ago. I'm afraid of burning myself out too quick if I start this one right away.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
So you are saying this is the Dark Souls of skateboard games?

I haven't played the Dark Souls games (played a lil bit of Demons Souls) but the game is very much trial and error. Learn by failing.

The controls are different, which is mainly what I was responding to. Some will learn them sooner, than later, but I was just giving my experience, in hopes that people would not give up on account of "bad controls".

Renpatsu

People were calling OlliOlli the Hotline Miami of skateboarding games when it originally came out.

I need this now. Hurry up AU PSN.

Agent X

This game is a textbook example of a greatly improved sequel.

Olli 1 was awesome but this game is just amazing! Love it.

I also love that they added button controls to the Vita version :).

I agree with all of this. The button controls on the Vita game make it easier to quickly navigate the menus or restart a level.

It's a heck of a great game, which I'm glad to have obtained through PS+. I can say that I would've purchased it anyway, as I also bought the original OlliOlli on the day of its release last year.

Wozman23

There's definitely a steep learning curve to the controls, but once you figure it out it feels awesome.

I decided to start on PS4 this time around, and it seems like there's a bit more latency that makes perfect landings a bit harder than I remember.

hawk2025

This is an improvement over the original across the board so far.

Simply fantastic. I was afraid of adding manuals, but no more. It's... exactly as it should be.

DedValve

Banned
I wasn't impressed with the first game but the second really made me "get it" maybe it was sort of knowing the controls mixed with the superior tutorial that helped. Everything just clicked.

Big Brett

I don't this game has a very high learning curve, but an extremely high skill ceiling. Once you feel the flow and are able to go through levels with confidence, it's really a treat.

I played a bit before work, and it's safe to say it's the little improvements that make this game much better than the already-fantastic first. Soundtrack is dope, too. Excited to get home and skate some more.

Manuals make it feel more like THPS. Which is a great thing.

KiraXD

awww i just played this thinking it was gonna be 2D tony hawk like so many people claimed... its not at all... THPS was basically 1 button = every trick... easy to combo and do everything... this game... not so easy.

I have a hard time landing ANYTHING. i either press X in haste or too many times... its a great game... but its NOT 2D Tony Hawk AT ALL... it takes a LOT more skill to feel awesome in this game lol.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Like THPS before it, manuals elevated the game like crazy.

Didn't think they could improve on such a brilliant game but they did.

THPS was basically 1 button = every trick... easy to combo and do everything...

That... isn't what... THPS is at all.

HardRojo

So should I really stick to the Vita for this one? I feel like I might break my Dualshock 4's left stick soon if I keep going lol.

robotrock

Banned
The sound in this game seems worse than the first one. I think it's not using surround properly? I have a 5.1 set up and the OST seems to just be coming out of my front speakers. The first OlliOlli used everything.

Top Bottom