• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

Big Brett

Like THPS before it, manuals elevated the game like crazy.

Didn't think they could improve on such a brilliant game but they did.

That... isn't what... THPS is at all.

Oh, you must have missed that reverts, grinds, special moves, grabs, manuals, flip tricks, flatland, and special grinds were bound to the same button. Where were you?

/s

Allforce

If any of you want to add me I'm AllforcePSN on Playstation platforms. I'm above average at this game and was hovering around top 25 on most stages this afternoon (I'm sure this has changed since then but I was proud of mysef).

Big Brett

If any of you want to add me I'm AllforcePSN on Playstation platforms. I'm above average at this game and was hovering around top 25 on most stages this afternoon (I'm sure this has changed since then but I was proud of mysef).

Sure. I'm below bad at this game, but it's cool. Need some competitors on the leaderboards.

Heel

Loving this, especially how levels are designed in a way to enable you to have just enough speed to complete them with one giant combo using manuals. So satisfying.

Loving this, especially how levels are designed in a way to enable you to have just enough speed to complete them with one giant combo using manuals. So satisfying.

Haven't seen enough of this one but there was some levels in the first one, I think in "Base", where there was a bunch of snow on the ground and the levels were designed just so perfectly that you would land on these small patches of pavement in between the snow and have JUST enough time to launch into the air as the pavement ended

Thrilling stuff

Okay thanks. Yeah, like I said, I wish there was a practice level where there was just a big ramp you could do tricks off of, because the levels are so fast and when I'm focused on just trying to figure out how to do one trick it's just "okay NOW--nope, time to restart for the 143rd time"

Noted.

You know those first 2 tutorial levels where it has you do like "5 advanced tricks"? Keep loading that over and over to practice those double analog swift moves. I can do it about 1 out of 3 times now--it's a tricky ass move to pull off and once you do pull it off, it has a long animation time to get it through..but looks amazing.

As the poster already said, don't let go, do it as a swift singular motion like a Street Fighter move.

KiraXD

Like THPS before it, manuals elevated the game like crazy.

Didn't think they could improve on such a brilliant game but they did.

That... isn't what... THPS is at all.

i was exaggerating obviously... but it was WAY easier to pull off super long trick-combos in THPS...

I think he's just referring to the fact that tricks are mapped to several of the face buttons with directional combinations as opposed to the one analog system of OlliOlli.

yeah lol.

The manuals really make a huge difference. Doing long strings of tricks was by far the best feeling from the first game, and it's only been heightened here.

Schryver

Just tried this on Vita. Awesome stuff and music is great. I'm not very good but kinda getting the hang of it. Everyone needs to try it out. Awesome PS+ pickup

Absolutely loving the manuals being added to the mix. It feels like they've really upped their level design this time around too. The THPS2 comparisons are very good...similar to that jump, this game just feels improved and polished up in every way. Loving it so far.

Heel

Haven't seen enough of this one but there was some levels in the first one, I think in "Base", where there was a bunch of snow on the ground and the levels were designed just so perfectly that you would land on these small patches of pavement in between the snow and have JUST enough time to launch into the air as the pavement ended

Thrilling stuff

Played through the first one earlier this year. The snow patches in the base section were maddening!

In the new game, there's even challenges in the Aztec section that require you to full combo through the stage. Feels custom built for it, just like the grinding in the ocean section of the first game. Barely puttering along in a manual and then hitting a dip in the terrain to regain speed, barely ollying over a stair section and continuing the combo, etc. So good! Feels fresh in this respect, even having played the first game a few months ago.

MattyG

Banned
Anyone else getting a message about not being connected to PSN when you try to sync cross save data? I can go to the store and look at me friends list and trophies, but I can't sync the data. It might not be OlliOlli though, because Ground Zeroes gave me a similar message.

Heel

Landed a 2m point full stage combo

That feeling!

iqpRpgZCSpjeB.gif

For those who've played the first game, is the music better or as good in the second one?

Seems like more songs are unlocking as you play through it. Very similar feel as the first game, but so far I prefer the first soundtrack.

After playing this game for an hour or so, I've finally had the issue with my DS4 where the rubber is falling off my left thumb stick. I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but then I look at this thread title and I'm not so sure.

After playing this game for an hour or so, I've finally had the issue with my DS4 where the rubber is falling off my left thumb stick. I'm sure it's probably a coincidence, but then I look at this thread title and I'm not so sure.

I warned you.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Bebpo

Banned
Game seems cool but it's really mentally hard to get used to x not being jump. Would've liked an alternative control scheme with x as jump and x+direction for specific trick.

Heel

Oh my god that was insane dude.

I had a similar run (not as high point total) and totally biffed the landing at the end...sloppy :(

feels bad man

The thing is, one of the goals of that stage is to double kickflip in a level long combo. Have to do it all over again...lol.

I always get in the habit doing nosegrinds and the same flip moves when trying to string a combo together. Adding variety while "in the zone" with this game is on a whole other level. The guy at the top of the scoreboard everywhere must be a complete sicko at this.

VanWinkle

Game seems cool but it's really mentally hard to get used to x not being jump. Would've liked an alternative control scheme with x as jump and x+direction for specific trick.

As somebody who played a lot of OlliOlli 1, you get used to it and it's a great scheme once you do. It may seem strange at first, but keep at it. It was very strange to me when I started playing the first game because I was used to the typical THPS style.

The thing is, one of the goals of that stage is to double kickflip in a level long combo. Have to do it all over again...lol.

I always get in the habit doing nosegrinds and the same flip moves when trying to string a combo together. Adding variety while "in the zone" with this game is on a whole other level. The guy at the top of the scoreboard everywhere must be a complete sicko at this.

Heh yeah I stick to holding R1 and just waggling the analog stick back and forth along the bottom half of the axis, I'm probably leaving out a whole range of tricks that are mapped to the upper directions.

Just hanging on for dear life really

Maddrical

This is the first time I've heard of Olliolli 2! And it's out today!? Oh man. Is it free on PS+ at launch? This just made my day, cannot wait to go home and play it. I was addicted to OlliOlli.

I need to just straight up ignore the leaderboards for this game lol. I don't have a lot of problems completing levels but some of the scores on the leaderboard are already unreal.

Item Box

Here's the track list if anyone's wondering:

Airglow Fires - Lone
Gardening - Mike Slott
Universal Decay - Ital Tek
Shinra - Ital Tek
Korben Dallas - Falty DL
Always You - Sweatson Klank
Truth - Submerse
Headlights - Troy Gunner
Shoulda Known - Louis Futon, Ganz Remix
Undone - Bobby Tank
Titans - Slugabed
Puds - Kelpe, Morgan Hislop Remix
Draw - Cid Rim Dorian Concept Remix
"L" - Monk
Tape Eater - Tobacco
Saphire - Kyle Cook & Parkinson White
Lust- Starro
Constructive interference - Evil Needle

BearPawB

Banned
This game is great. I'm currently like top 50 on the spot global leaderboard. But that will change quickly. Still. For now, feels good.

No idea how some people get such crazy high scores

Fjordson

Am I missing something with the manuals? I can never do one for some reason, even though I'm holding the stick to the side before I land.

Do you tap x to land in a manual or do you hold it?

Edit: ah, I was just holding the stick as soon as I finished a trick. Have to time it right as you're landing with X. Damn, that's kinda tough lol.

Goddamn it feels so good to be playing again. I'm rusty but it's all coming back to me. Really digging the improvements they've made to the UI and aesthetics, it definitely has a more approachable appeal now. Which is great since so many people are gonna get to try it! I really hope this one takes off in a way the first didn't.

And to all the new folks who are intimidated and thinking of quitting--DON'T! Not yet! It is exceptionally difficult to get a hang of the controls but as soon as it clicks it's smooth skating. Honestly, you just fill out the nuances but the mechanics become second nature and it's so rewarding.

A couple Hot Tips (based on things I remember struggling with when learning):
- Press X early! Don't try hitting it right as you land, hit it a millisecond before. Think of it as bracing yourself for the landing, correcting your stance right before impact. But you're still withing a couple feet over your landing. You'll start to really feel the rhythm as you practice. Remember, pressing X too early and netting a "Sick!" landing is better totally ruining your trick with a Sloppy landing because you waited too long.
- An Ollie is just another trick. It's not your default jump like in Tony Hawk. There's hardly an instance where you should be jumping with an Ollie instead of just rotating your stick a bit as you lift and propelling yourself up with an Impossible or some other advanced trick.
- Use any direction on the stick to initiate a grind (Hold R or L at the same time to make it an advanced grind) but know that holding Down over a grindable surface will magnetize you slightly and pull you down to the rail (etc.) which starts your grind sooner and can be the difference between catching the tail end of a rail and continuing your combo...or overshooting your jump and bailing.
- If you've got big air in a jump, use L or R to put a few spins in there. They're an easy way to further your combo without doing much as you glide down. Just BE SURE to exit the spin with enough time to safely recover your stance and nail the landing with X. This is still one of my biggest problems. I'm always spinning and Icarus-ing my way to a big disappointing bail when I make one rotation too many.
- On long rails, trick off and land back on the rail with a different grind. That's two extra multipliers right there and a long enough rail can see you changing grinds 5-6 times, rocketing your combo in a relatively safe way. (Go ahead and throw some spins in those tricks in between grinds for even more multipliers!)

There's a ton more I could say (and I'm certainly no expert) but those are some simple fundamental lessons I had to learn myself that made the game so much more fun when I did.

HardRojo

You know what sucks? Practicing the Daily Grind for a while, getting the hang of it and a high enough score... then messing up on your first jump when you try for real...

Doombear

Anyone else getting a message about not being connected to PSN when you try to sync cross save data? I can go to the store and look at me friends list and trophies, but I can't sync the data. It might not be OlliOlli though, because Ground Zeroes gave me a similar message.

Yep, and it is too bad too. Really wanted to take my progress on the road with me tomorrow.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
20 minutes in and my launch DS4's left stick is completely destroyed. It was perfectly fine before. It basically shredded into about 7 different chunks and tons of little chunks.

God damnit.

realwords

Here's the track list if anyone's wondering:
Always You - Sweatson Klank
Shoulda Known - Louis Futon, Ganz Remix
Undone - Bobby Tank
Titans - Slugabed
Puds - Kelpe, Morgan Hislop Remix
Draw - Cid Rim Dorian Concept Remix
Saphire - Kyle Cook & Parkinson White
Constructive interference - Evil Needle

Sheesh, these are all songs I've heard before and have liked on Soundcloud. That's crazy.

If they would've thrown some Mr. Carmack in there I would've showed up at their HQ with my wallet to buy an OST.

Still on the first set of levels, the rust is coming off so just nailing a 91k score felt good again. But I'm 5-starring each amateur level before moving on.

Had a brain fart in how to grind the train until I looked it up on gamefaqs and did just what they suggested, lol.

Also to newcomers, practice in the skatepark if you feel unsure about things. I still run through the tutorials myself when I need to take a breather.

Holy shit I suck at this. Hitting x to land and not jump is seriously fucking with me hardcore. All those years of tony hawk and skate have just ruined me for this game.

Holy shit I suck at this. Hitting x to land and not jump is seriously fucking with me hardcore. All those years of tony hawk and skate have just ruined me for this game.

Again, don't ignore the tutorials, as they will help make the controls "click" after a while. It'll take some time, but you get used to the X button being your landing button.

LesPaul

I didn't even play Tony Hawk that much but hitting X while landing is also something I mess up all the time.....in the first one though..haven't played this one yet. I will get arround to it during the weekend.

Top Bottom