• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

I played each of this months ps+ games long enough to get a trophy. Out of all of them, this one was surpringly easily my favorite. I'll have to try a bit more later!

I played quite a bit of the first OlliOlli, enough to five star all of the courses on both difficulties, so I came into this one with a pretty good idea of what to expect. From that perspective I can honestly say this is an absolutely incredible sequel so far. I'm into the fourth "world" on Amateur (5-starring as I go) and I am absolutely having a blast.

Manuals are a game-changer. In the first game course long combos were only achievable in the levels that had grind rails the entire time, and because of this combo potential was greatly limited in certain stages. Now that manuals are here that is no longer a concern. On top of that, Roll7 now has the ability to really get creative with the level designs, mixing in a nice combination of regular ground and grind rails.

The other new mechanics are a lot of fun as well. Combine all of that sweet gameplay goodness with the fantastic visuals, the infectious soundtrack, and the slick presentation and you are left with one fine package of gaming excellence. I couldn't be happier with what I've seen so far, can't wait to keep brute forcing my way to five stars!

Also, when that Spotify app finally comes out for PS I know which game I'm playing first.

Renpatsu

1) The timing for Perfect Landings seems to be a bit easier. Hit X before you think you should and you should be fine. Don't hit it right when you're about to touch the ground, but half a second earlier.

2) To Revert-Manual, press X and R2/L2 as you're close to landing (same timing as perfect landings) and THEN hold left on the stick. You want to start holding left just as the sound effect of the revert finishes, later than you might expect. Again, give a half second pause from the time you revert to the time you hold left
Just got my hands on the game, but having played my fair share of the original I'm inclined to agree with your about the timing for the perfect landing, not that I mind since I've already been acclimated from playing the first game.

I really like the additional flatland variety that they've added, there's practically no benefit to landing normally as you would in the original game if you plan on getting high scores. Better to just get used to the timing of reverts into manuals since the levels very consciously accommodate for their inclusion now.

Renpatsu

2015-03-05-011134j8j14.jpg

This was me just futzing around with the new tricks and such. I guarantee that these scores you're seeing are going to get higher once folks have time to learn the levels and get into their rhythm after the initial rush.

dorikyasu

This thread title was an apt description...
Started to play this on PS4 last night, but had to switch playing it on PSTV (with DS3) instead as my Dualshock 4's left thumbstick started to crack & peel off after playing this for a bit.

Anybody had issues with cross save for this game prompting to login to PSN when you tried to sync?

Sushigod7

Any tips to consistently pull off tricks?

I dont know if I just suck at it, or its apart of the difficulty curve

It takes getting used to hitting the landing button at the right time. After awhile it becomes second nature. I'm loving they added manuals in freaking amazing combo possibilities.

This is fucking hard, was expecting a Trials level of difficulty, but I'm finding it much harder. It's hard to reprogram my mind to not press X to jump.

Not sure I'm liking this game, same as the last. I want X to jump and land I guess. I hate the left stick as the jump button. Really wish I could remap that

Macheezmo

I've never played the first game before so I figured I should grab this since it was on PS+. This game is awesome! It's like crack with it's "just one more run" feel to it. I think the best part is just how fast it is to retry a stage when you screw up. Combos feel so good when you land a big one. A big help for me was to go into the tutorials, which I pretty much neglected at the beginning. I was having a lot of trouble trying to get the 160k score in the 5th level until I learned how to manual, then BAM, full stage combo, 2.1 mil, 49th place.

I never played this first.
This is a wonderful game.
I don't think I'm going to be able to play much more. I did 3-4 levels and I think it too much going on for me to handle.

Justified

It takes getting used to hitting the landing button at the right time. After awhile it becomes second nature. I'm loving they added manuals in freaking amazing combo possibilities.

I can land pretty well. Im having trouble rotating the stick at the proper time to pull off a trick.

I guess it just takes getting used to it also

Man the lack of d-pad support is pretty bad.

I honestly think I would be doing way better with the D-pad.

I dont see how it could even work with dpad. It needs analog.

I think Plus was a bad move for the devs, it encourages people to give up on the game much quicker since no money was spent.

I played Olli1 a lot and unlocked everything, that was some time ago, but I could get right back into Olli2. So just wait until it clicks, its worth it.

Skilletor

I dont see how it could even work with dpad. It needs analog.

I think Plus was a bad move for the devs, it encourages people to give up on the game much quicker since no money was spent.

I played Olli1 a lot and unlocked everything, that was some time ago, but I could get right back into Olli2. So just wait until it clicks, its worth it.

What changed in this game that it needs analog over Olli1?

I don't like playing with the analog stick at all and am enjoying part 1 far more because of this.

Kensuke

Platinumed the first Olli, but this one seems way harder. The amateur levels are easy enough, but I can't seem to get the high score challenge in the pro levels.

In the very first pro level, for example, I can only get 1.25 million (need 1.6). I do the whole level in one smooth combo with manuals, different tricks, different grinds and the occasional flip. But it's not enough. What am I missing?

This game is odd in that the controls feel very unintuitive and cumbersome at first but with enough practice and time you will discover that they are a fundamental part of what makes the game so fantastic. Don't give up on it, once you get over the learning curve it is pure gaming bliss!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just played a bit more of OlliOlli (bought it a couple weeks back in a sale) and then some of OlliOlli 2.

The sequel is much better. Looks better, plays smoother. I'll probably just play it and not bother with the first unless I want to go back to it after.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My mind is blown, I never knew the first worked with dpad! Ill go back and see how that works.

Generally you won't want to use it over the analog stick but d-pad was definitely what I used for the really hard challenges where you're just going to want to get through the stage not worrying about tricks. The d-pad was a godsend for rad mode.

lt519

Platinumed the first Olli, but this one seems way harder. The amateur levels are easy enough, but I can't seem to get the high score challenge in the pro levels.

In the very first pro level, for example, I can only get 1.25 million (need 1.6). I do the whole level in one smooth combo with manuals, different tricks, different grinds and the occasional flip. But it's not enough. What am I missing?

A lot more spins and flips.

Portugeezer

Wait, what. How the fuck do people have 500,000 on the daily challenge thing? Am I missing something? I literally grind on just one rail and get 2,000 before it ends.

MUnited83

For you.
Wait, what. How the fuck do people have 500,000 on the daily challenge thing? Am I missing something? I literally grind on just one rail and get 2,000 before it ends.

Do a crapload of tricks and rotate (do 180/360s). Your score will be much better. Also keep your combo up as long as you can.

Not sure I'm liking this game, same as the last. I want X to jump and land I guess. I hate the left stick as the jump button. Really wish I could remap that

Yeah, I've spent at least 30 minutes on the first game and then tried the second last night. I just hate the controls. It just feels incredibly wrong and unfun to me. I feel like the game is at odds with my Tony Hawk muscle memory and I hate having to hit X to land. Obviously people love these games so this is my problem but I just wasn't having any fun. Maybe I'm too old to adapt.

the controls feel very unintuitive and cumbersome at first but with enough practice and time

You are right about the controls but I have way too many other games to play to spend a lot of time trying to retrain myself, especially when I am not having fun at all during that process.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the game, it's just not for me.

Recall

The moment you unlock manuals is the moment this game goes from good to great. Going back to the first five stages and then being able to destroy the challenges with ease is a great feeling.

The moment you unlock manuals is the moment this game goes from good to great. Going back to the first five stages and then being able to destroy the challenges with ease is a great feeling.

Hilariously, I can pull off manuals apparently but haven't unlocked them properly in the game yet.

Left my Vita at home on accident, but I'll take it with me starting tomorrow to play more. Granted, I do most of my playing at home anyways...

Right now, I keep breaking my multiplier in Olliwood level 5 amateur and it's getting to me - I get to maybe 22x before it dies. Meh...

Karu

I posted this in the PSPlus thread yesterday.
Lukewarm on Olli Olli 2, feels like a one trick pony (not necessarily a bad thing) game, that I won't invest that much time in.
I have (almost) made a huge mistake.

Played for a few hours just now, and this game has blown me away, it'S almost an Hotline Miami-level of surprise for me. And I got it for "free". That's crazy.

I posted this in the PSPlus thread yesterday.I have (almost) made a huge mistake.

Played for a few hours just now, and this game has blown me away, it'S almost an Hotline Miami-level of surprise for me. And I got it for "free". That's crazy.

That's the hook. Yes the controls are frustrating, especially if you've never played the first game. Yes the levels can be hard and you find yourself restarting it over and over. Yes, you will hate flicking the analog to jump and hitting X to land.

But once everything clicks and you start compiling combos to meet the challenges, it becomes a "one more time" with each passing moment.

I also felt that it seemed in the vein of an endless runner? I hate that style of game, so I figured I wasn't missing out. Maybe I'm wrong though.
It has a similar flow in the sense that you don't stop moving but the levels are meticulously crafted as opposed to procedurally generated and each stage is fairly short. It's more like a rhythm platformer, if that makes sense.

Top Bottom