• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
dppbhvF.jpg

God damn it.

Edit:

Sick

Perona

Muscle memory has me trying to tap an icon on the top left to retry and that doesn't work anymore. Gonna take a while to get used to that.

Muscle memory has me trying to tap an icon on the top left to retry and that doesn't work anymore. Gonna take a while to get used to that.
I'm surprised my Vita doesn't have a permanent smudge on the top left of the screen after all that time with the original.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Loving this but the Wild West levels are fatiguing my eyes very quickly for some reason.

There is definitely a lot happening on screen, more and more as the game progresses.

I'm really not sure I like that landing and grinding involve different controls, far too often I'm instinctively hitting the wrong one even though they feel functionally identical. Especially when the games gets quick and you're doing split second decisions and analyzing the environment for whether things are grindable or the ground.

The only thing that has annoyed me is that some levels seem like there's no way to know what's coming without trial and error. I've had a few "Gotcha bitch!" moments.

Then again, I think I just suck at the game.

wapplew

Wait, what. How the fuck do people have 500,000 on the daily challenge thing? Am I missing something? I literally grind on just one rail and get 2,000 before it ends.

I have the same problem, I guess you need to do a manual to keep the combo going.

The only thing that has annoyed me is that some levels seem like there's no way to know what's coming without trial and error. I've had a few "Gotcha bitch!" moments.

Then again, I think I just suck at the game.
If you don't like the idea of replaying a short level many times to get better at it this is probably not the game for you.

If you don't like the idea of replaying a short level many times to get better at it this is probably not the game for you.
I didn't say I didn't like the idea of getting better. That's obviously going to be the focus of the game. No kidding.

I'm talking about some levels have twists that I don't see coming at all, which makes some levels rely much more on memorization than just pure skill. It's fine that they're like that, but it's a quibble.

I didn't say I didn't like the idea of getting better. That's obviously going to be the focus of the game. No kidding.

I'm talking about some levels have twists that I don't see coming at all, which makes some levels rely much more on memorization than just pure skill. It's fine that they're like that, but it's a quibble.
Did you miss the "replaying a short level many times" part? After seeing a twist that you didn't expect once or twice I'd expect you'd be ready for it the next time, right? Or are you expecting to beat each level in one run?

Whizzed through the first set of levels, now I'm having a little trouble getting used to manuals but I'll get there.

Local multiplayer should be patched in soon. God, this game is gonna be a blast with friends.
Haha I've been doing that too.

ced

Goddamnit I hate games that you jump with the stick, especially this one.

I need to cool off and try it again.

Xeroblade

Took me awhile to get the controls down but damn this game is super fun. I literally wanted to scream at myself for not understanding. Stupid hands.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you're not meant to hit X as close to the ground as possible, they probably shouldn't say that in the tutorial and have a picture of the guy literally nearly on the edge of the ground.

I want to get a vita for this game!!!! I got it for free with PS+, didn't play the first one. But I really want to be able to play this on the go!!!!

Pappasman

After I learned to manual the game clicked. This is blowing me away. Its just absolutely incredible. Some of the tricks are a bit tough to pull off on the DS4 though, I wonder if the vita stick would be a bit better?

So i've been trying to do learn how to do revert manuals for a good hour now, i just can't pull it off, any trick to nail this?

Well, nevermind. I worked it out first try after posting this :']

Stealth50

Wow what an amazing game! Pressed wrong game in the main menu and accidentally started playing this, figured I might just give it a shot. First thing I think is: This is gonna suck, I'm way too bad at these sortof games. Well, it was pretty hard. I died a lot but didn't get frustrated. Pressing triangle and x to restart quickly became a habit and before I knew it I had spent over one hour playing the game. I took a short break and later I played perhaps an hour or two more and I think that by now I can safely say that this will be one of my favorite indie games of the year.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Threw it on for a few mins last night. Liking everything so far, though it does sorta feel like the amateur levels in 2 are harder than the first game. Seems like the skating is faster as well, and you can tap x or pull a trick a lot closer to the ground without failing this time. Good music as well. Oh and a Plat trophy that I know there's no way I'll get. Cool to see it there though.

Chao

Tried it for a while but I can't stand these controls. Jumping with the stick is like torturing my brain. I guess this kind of game works on mobile, but I'm not a fan of DS4 controls.

Fjordson

Man I may need to ease up a bit...was playing with an urban camo DS4 that I bought recently and when I looked down at the controller after about an hour of playing there was like these tiny specks of black dust all over the controller, presumably rubber from the analog stick :lol damn!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has the developer talked at all about why you cannot use the D-Pad? I'm not crazy in remembering that the first game allowed you to use it, am I?

This game seems created from the ground up for D-Pads, and using an analog stick is way too imprecise.

Tried it for a while but I can't stand these controls. Jumping with the stick is like torturing my brain. I guess this kind of game works on mobile, but I'm not a fan of DS4 controls.

...how would it work on mobile? Just stick with it, give it a shot. The controls are perfectly tuned to the kind of game it is.

I still think this game should not have released on PS+.

Has the developer talked at all about why you cannot use the D-Pad? I'm not crazy in remembering that the first game allowed you to use it, am I?

This game seems created from the ground up for D-Pads, and using an analog stick is way too imprecise.

I can't even fathom a d-pad, seems like it was made for the sticks to me.

Maybe that's because I started on Vita

It is not the type of experience that will leave a good impression to someone who just 'gives it a try' before deciding it isn't worth their while and deleting it. Due to it being (relatively) free for them.

Whereas the other way around, word of mouth/reviews/passing interest would be leading them to spend $9.99 on the release, which will mean it will be a bit harder to dismiss outright just because the controls feel foreign or take a while to get used to.

It is not the type of experience that will leave a good impression to someone who just 'gives it a try' before deciding it isn't worth their while and deleting it. Due to it being (relatively) free for them.

Whereas the other way around, word of mouth/reviews/passing interest would be leading them to spend $9.99 on the release, which will mean it will be a bit harder to dismiss outright just because the controls feel foreign or take a while to get used to.

I would say the opposite - it doesn't seem like the kind of game most people would pay any mind to purchasing but getting it free on PS+ means it will gain a large userbase, many of which will fall in love with it and in turn spread good word of mouth for future sales once it leaves the IGC

Brudinho

Banned
Holy shit.
I played OlliOlii for the first time today as a PS+ game

It´s just addicting.
The soundtrack is awesome and I just love the whole game
I will try to play it on my Vita later , but I don´t think it will be that comfortable to control

Ants

I only gave OlliOlli 1 a passing glance but this game has so far exceeded my expectations. I'm a fan.

I would say the opposite - it doesn't seem like the kind of game most people would pay any mind to purchasing but getting it free on PS+ means it will gain a large userbase, many of which will fall in love with it and in turn spread good word of mouth for future sales once it leaves the IGC

Agreed, it definitely goes both ways. I guess those who don't initially see the potential (fun) even when struggling, wouldn't be interested in the game when pitched to them in the first place.

Just re-downloaded Olli Olli 1 on Vita to try it out with d-pad, I guess it works but the analog stick feels so much more natural with this game because of the flicking motions it allows.

Holy shit.
I played OlliOlii for the first time today as a PS+ game

It´s just addicting.
The soundtrack is awesome and I just love the whole game
I will try to play it on my Vita later , but I don´t think it will be that comfortable to control

I preferred Olli 1 on Vita because the stick has less travel, I have yet to try Olli 2 on PS4.

Nafai1123

Banned
Loving the ability to keep a combo going with a manual. This game gets me into that hypnotic flowing gameplay state like no other. Really love it.

Kalor

Are the perfect landings a lot more forgiving than the first game? I seem to be getting perfect landings from a furthur distance.

The Vita is much more comfortable to play OlliOlli 2, but then again, I played the first game on the Vita as well.

The Vita analog sticks feel more natural when performing tricks than either on the DS3 or DS4 for me. Might be due to the sticks being smaller, but they're easier to flick imo.

Loving the game so far, very much brings back thoughts of Super Meat Boy. Mostly just because of the constant quick retries over and over trying to get the perfect run.

So far my biggest nuissance is trying to pull off certain tricks right into other certain tricks. More specifically doing a certain grind and then launching a specific trick, I'm finding that pretty tricky.

I'm also having trouble landing a reverse manual and continuing a combo, it seems to always end the combo.

Anyway, a ton of challenge in this game, and it moves really really well. Definitely a pleasant surprise for me!

Brudinho

Banned
I preferred Olli 1 on Vita because the stick has less travel, I have yet to try Olli 2 on PS4.

The Vita is much more comfortable to play OlliOlli 2, but then again, I played the first game on the Vita as well.

The Vita analog sticks feel more natural when performing tricks than either on the DS3 or DS4 for me. Might be due to the sticks being smaller, but they're easier to flick imo.

Well , that was unexpected for me
I will definitely try it out now , first time to start my Vita after months

Is it Cross Buy or do I have to play it over the PS4?

Top Bottom