• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

Moze

Banned
The white arrow signifies a second motion. So you've got he yellow motion underneath which you perform andthen perform he white motion before letting go of the stick. So you might go clockwise and then anticlockwise all in one motion for example.

Thank you. I was trying for so long to perform a 720 flip.

Been playing this more and more, it's so addictive. I'm getting the hang of it now, starting to complete runs in one combo. Man it's so fun, but frustrating at times when I mess up.

DeviantBoi

Started playing it a bit last night and thought it was okay.

Got a couple of stars. No big deal. After the second or third level, I could no longer get the max score.

Then I eventually got to the part where they teach you how to manual.

Holy shit!

I went back to the previous levels and started getting 500K easily.

Awesome game! I'm enjoying it very much!

And they gave this away for free?!?!?!

The manuals are new right? Really opens up the gameplay.. awesome stuff. I don't let myself go to the next level before completing all of the challenges. Addicting as hell.

The gameplay/controls are ridiculously on-point. My only issue is that I keep mistaking the yellow pavement on the first area as a grindable surface, for some reason I always think it is a rail.

kode80

Neo Member
Any tips on how to grind the train on level 2? I can't get high enough from the ground or low enough from the prior edge to grind it.
This took me forever to figure out but it's so obvious. Just don't hit a directional to grind until you've passed through the grind rail above it. i.e. you'll pass through the top rail, then hit a directional to grind on the train.

I never played the first OlliOlli and almost gave up on this one due to how weird the controls feel at first. So glad I stuck with it. Once it clicks this game is amazing. I've been thinking about it all day.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The manuals are new right? Really opens up the gameplay.. awesome stuff. I don't let myself go to the next level before completing all of the challenges. Addicting as hell.
You wont be saying that as you get further. I beat RAD mode in the original but I've found many of the challenges to be super hard. There's so much more to think about this time. A huge difficulty jump over the first. I've struggled just to get through certain stages, let alone do all the challenges. But I'll certainly attempt to do them all eventually.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Halfway through Rad mode. Dunno if it's because I'm a lot better at the game or if it's easier than the first OlliOlli, but I'm just blazing through it. Also doesn't help that I can't stop playing it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So this is weird... I think it actually plays and generally feels better on PS4 than Vita. Maybe it's easier to track what's going on on the screen, see the ground and time landings better?

I seem to do better on PS4 vs. Vita as well.

Have played more on Vita though. Great for killing the time between matches of Evolve. :D

myco666

Halfway through Rad mode. Dunno if it's because I'm a lot better at the game or if it's easier than the first OlliOlli, but I'm just blazing through it. Also doesn't help that I can't stop playing it.

Certainly not easier. I remember blazing through most of the stuff in the first game but I am struggling still with the last few amateur levels. There is way more obstacles on the courses and many gaps require really precise timing.

I would really like d-pad support for this game since I mess alot of inputs with analog stick still.

Flarin

I can't get the timing down for tricks after a grind. Like "Smith Grind to Frontside Bigspin." I either end up just doing an ollie or falling on my face.

Anyone got any tips for timing or anything?

DrkSage

GTA V took my Right analog stick... But olliolli 2 took my left one.

RIP launch DS4

What's weird is that it kinda feels good without the rubber...

Anyway, I'm having a good time with the game, but the only thing that I'm having trouble with are the damn grinds. Sometimes even if I know I timed it perfectly I'd go through the rail without initiating the grind resulting in a sloppy landing or a bail :(

DirtyLarry

Okay I did not want to go to Off Topic here, but I see it already being discussed, so hopefully it is not considered too OT.

So right when you start OO2 up on the PS4, it gives the message about make sure your TV is set to Game Mode.
I have never used Game Mode myself. I used a Calibration Guide I found on the CNET Forums for my TV (A Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 to be exact, and here is the thread), and I have always been very happy with the overall picture. I never, ever have to adjust the brightness calibration in games, and everything looks very natural overall.

However I was not landing a perfect landing for the fucking life of me in OlliOlli2.
Lo and behold I switch over to Game Mode, and although the colors were super vibrant and not natural looking at all, sure enough, it was much, much easier to land a Perfect landing.

This got me thinking have I been doing a disservice to myself all along, or is it just this game requires that much precision?

I do also own it on the Vita, and will probably play most of the game on it anyway as I think the Vita is the superior platform for this particular game (how often is someone going to type that sentence out), however it does have me wondering now, should I be playing more games in my TV's Game Mode?

gruenel

Okay I did not want to go to Off Topic here, but I see it already being discussed, so hopefully it is not considered too OT.

So right when you start OO2 up on the PS4, it gives the message about make sure your TV is set to Game Mode.
I have never used Game Mode myself. I used a Calibration Guide I found on the CNET Forums for my TV (A Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 to be exact, and here is the thread), and I have always been very happy with the overall picture. I never, ever have to adjust the brightness calibration in games, and everything looks very natural overall.

However I was not landing a perfect landing for the fucking life of me in OlliOlli2.
Lo and behold I switch over to Game Mode, and although the colors were super vibrant and not natural looking at all, sure enough, it was much, much easier to land a Perfect landing.

This got me thinking have I been doing a disservice to myself all along, or is it just this game requires that much precision?

I do also own it on the Vita, and will probably play most of the game on it anyway as I think the Vita is the superior platform for this particular game (how often is someone going to type that sentence out), however it does have me wondering now, should I be playing more games in my TV's Game Mode?

Yes you should always play in game mode. Much better for any game, really.

Pretty sure you can adjust your colors in game mode, too. I know I can on my Bravia (different model though).

Skilletor

Game mode is used to turn off all the special processing that televisions have. Had nothing really to do with colors. it decreases input lag, but does not eliminate it. I have my television in game mode for all of my consoles, but in timing intensive games, you can feel the lag.

This took me forever to figure out but it's so obvious. Just don't hit a directional to grind until you've passed through the grind rail above it. i.e. you'll pass through the top rail, then hit a directional to grind on the train.

I never played the first OlliOlli and almost gave up on this one due to how weird the controls feel at first. So glad I stuck with it. Once it clicks this game is amazing. I've been thinking about it all day.
Duh that seems so obvious now. Thanks

drotahorror

I'm so bad about doing a trick after a grind. It's like I hold down to land the grind. Then I rotate down to forward to do another trick out of it but I just ollie instead.

DirtyLarry

Yes you should always play in game mode. Much better for any game, really.

Pretty sure you can adjust your colors in game mode, too. I know I can on my Bravia (different model though).

Game mode is used to turn off all the special processing that televisions have. Had nothing really to do with colors. it decreases input lag, but does not eliminate it. I have my television in game mode for all of my consoles, but in timing intensive games, you can feel the lag.
Is it possible the Game "Mode" I have is not the Game Mode I think it would be?

It is under Scene Select, and the colors and no doubt much different. Very vibrant.,
I do not see anywhere else to select a "Game Mode."

And one of the reasons I did use the guide on CNet is it apparently does disable all of the post processing stuff.

The settings above should already apply to gaming and Blu-ray. As far as Day/Night modes just adjust the backlight higher if your room emits a lot of ambient light.

IN REGARDS TO PLAYING THE GAME - How do you do more than a regular Ollie out of a grind? What am I missing? I have done it a few times by accident, but have no idea how to do more than a regular Ollie out of grinds.

Withnail

Didn't play the first one but happy to say this game is awesome. Great presentation, great controls, perfect difficulty, plenty of content.

Thanks PS+. Roll7, you just got a new fan, see you on day 1 for Not a Hero.

StaSeb

What's weird is that it kinda feels good without the rubber...

feels-good-man.jpg

game is pretty rad, but did not click for me yet.

myco666

IIN REGARDS TO PLAYING THE GAME - How do you do more than a regular Ollie out of a grind? What am I missing? I have done it a few times by accident, but have no idea how to do more than a regular Ollie out of grinds.

Same way as you normally would do tricks. Most likely you wait too long to do the input since if you grind the grind all the way it automatically does ollie.

sector4

Oh man, I can't believe I'd never heard of the original game, whenever I saw the name olli olli I was thinking of that other game (ibb and obb?) anyway I was a massive fan of the Tony Hawk and Skate games and this is really satisfying that itch, cross with the trials like frustration and addictive instant restarts haha!

DirtyLarry

Same way as you normally would do tricks. Most likely you wait too long to do the input since if you grind the grind all the way it automatically does ollie.
Which would explain why I sometimes do it. This makes sense, I want to naturally just let the grind go as long as possible, but it is actually detrimental.

In other news I mistakenly did a manual, and now I know how to do it intentionally, and damn that is a game changer. Just did a whole level from beginning to end. Felt damn good.

This game is not good for Obsessive Compulsive types such as myself. That is for sure.

The soundtrack is suitably hypnotic. Not loving the new art style, but I'll take it. Blazing through the first set of levels, but not sure if that's just because I played the first game to death and back last April.

Really enjoying this. Reminds me of Thrasher Skate & Destroy, THPS, and Skate crossed with Canabalt. Really want a new Skate game now.

wouwie

I love the game just as the first one but i'm still not good at it. I just can't remember the tricks which means i'm just doing random stuff with the left stick, which just isn't fun after a while (and it doesn't result in high scores either). For those who are good at the game, are you actually pulling off each trick as you intend/plan? I have this problem with basically every combo based game (fighting games, trick based games,...) though so it's probably just me. It's a shame in this case since the game is good.

The soundtrack is great but not as good as in the first game, it seems.

Shaneus

How's the soundtrack compared to the first game? The first soundtrack was AMAZING
I still prefer the first one, but apparently there's music to unlock? The first one was far more diverse, a lot of the songs in this one have a very similar vibe to all of them.

IMO, they're pushing the relaxed/summery/chill theme a little too much with the colours used and the music. I liked how gritty the first one was.

I seem to do better on PS4 vs. Vita as well.

Have played more on Vita though.
Yeah, I'm about the same on both counts. Completed most of what I've done so far on Vita, but the really tough ones I did in a snap on PS4. FWIW I was also using these grips on my controller:
JEqmRfQ.png

Fit snugly on the sticks, offer great grip. Ebay cheapos, I think I got mine for around $3AU for a pair.

Shaneus

Same. But regardless it's still not automatic anymore, is it? I remember being surprised when picking up the PS4 controller and finding all my progress there for the first one, but having to go into the menu each time is just damn irritating.

Renpatsu

How's the soundtrack compared to the first game? The first soundtrack was AMAZING
It's interesting because the first game had a real nice laid back quality to it while the second appropriately amps it up with some energy to go along with the ludicrous way that they've expanded on for the sequel aka. It's still AMAZING.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any tips for tricking out of grinds? seemed to be able to do that a lot easier with my vita & oo1....

Shaneus

It's interesting because the first game had a real nice laid back quality to it while the second appropriately amps it up with some energy to go along with the ludicrous way that they've expanded on for the sequel aka. It's still AMAZING.
I wouldn't have called the music in this amped up at all. I just struggle to find anything distinctive between any of the songs, whereas with the first I can easily get them stuck in my head for different reasons.

I just want a song or two like this in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0R97H5NeQ

Renpatsu

I wouldn't have called the music in this amped up at all. I just struggle to find anything distinctive between any of the songs, whereas with the first I can easily get them stuck in my head for different reasons.

I just want a song or two like this in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0R97H5NeQ
Maybe I'm misremembering the original, but I think 'The Qemists - Society' (the song from your clip) was somewhat unique in regards to the rest of the soundtrack, which while they had a high tempo I still associate with having a more laid back quality to it.

any tips for tricking out of grinds? seemed to be able to do that a lot easier with my vita & oo1....
Are you still playing on Vita? The motions for tricking out are the same for rails and flatland so I guess you just need to let go quicker before you ollie out of a rail. They really haven't changed much since the first game.

Shaneus

Yeah, you're right... it was mostly jazz and lo-fi ambient stuff but that always made me kick it up a notch when it came on. Even without it there was a pretty diverse set of tracks there, but I'm just not feeling the same level of diversity with the sequel.

Maybe I need to unlock more of the music.

Curufinwe

Is there a way to see unlock conditions for the levels in career?

I just got 3 stars in Curse of the Aztec level 3, but level 4 is still locked. I have 26 total stars.

Renpatsu

2015-03-06-135427oxjh4.jpg

Here's something I guess is painfully logical, but not immediately obvious until you perform them a few times: Integrating L+R (Double) trigger grinds (and subsequent grind switches) into your combos can substantially increase your score and potentially give you a leg up into the next score threshold.

Guys, when do I have to press R1/L1 to perform tricks that require them ?
Hold it down the entire time you are doing the motions and letting go of the stick.

Messiek

2015-03-06-135427oxjh4.jpg

Here's something I guess is painfully logical, but not immediately obvious until you perform them a few times: Integrating L+R trigger grinds (and subsequent grind switches) into your combos can substantially increase your score and potentially give you a leg up into the next score threshold.

Hold it down the entire time you are doing the motions and letting go of the stick.

Congrats on the #1 and thanks for the reply : )
I can barely make 1M points, I guess the R1/L1 thing will take some time to get used to.

Top Bottom