• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

Eleuin

Enjoying it on vita but I'm concerned I'm going to ruin the analog stick.

I'm having trouble with grind switches I initially hold down for a nose slide and then move the stick to the right for a nosegrind. This doesn't seem to work 90% of the time, what am I doing wrong in general?

Renpatsu

Enjoying it on vita but I'm concerned I'm going to ruin the analog stick.
Anecdotal but I've been playing OlliOlli fairly devotedly since the original, my analog stick is fine. You don't need to put too much pressure and opt for a flick instead.
I'm having trouble with grind switches I initially hold down for a nose slide and then move the stick to the right for a nosegrind. This doesn't seem to work 90% of the time, what am I doing wrong in general?
First off it has be a perfect grind (green sparks) and after you move the stick make sure to press x to execute the grind switch.

I just ran into this weird glitch after uploading my best run to date (broke 1.6milli on the 4th Aztec level, I know that's not THAT good but it is for me) to YouTube via my PS4. Trimmed the video & uploaded it, waited a minute and watched the video on another device and then went back to OlliOlli2 on the PS4. My skater was like moving at warp speed! He'd do everything fast. Spins were insane!! I could do like 1080s on small jumps and just twirl like it was nothing I'm the air! This happened on quite a few runs (maybe 10-20 runs with restarts) before seemingly my game went back to normal and my skater was all slow again. Has anyone experienced this? In this turbo state you can rack up the combos like crazy and I would think achieve some almost unreachable highscores this way.

I uploaded a video of that to YouTube here http://youtu.be/-V7jR4vfPt8 and I tried to reproduce the glitch/issue but I didn't have any success. I thought it might have been from OlliOlli2 being suspended while trimming a video on the PS4 to upload to YouTube (or all/any of the above) but I couldn't reproduce. Weird...

But man it was so much fun going at turbo speed like that with spins! I had like a 138x combo once before I missed a jump, lol. My score was going to be insane!!

Renpatsu

But man it was so much fun going at turbo speed like that with spins! I had like a 138x combo once before I missed a jump, lol. My score was going to be insane!!
This reminds me of old THPS cheats.

OlliOlli is already so fast if the main game was running at that speed I think I'd have an aneurysm simply due to the overload of tricks you could possibly do in a level.

Edit: Might want to point your video in the direction of the devs.

megalowho

Game is so good, really solid iterative design on the first OlliOlli. Brings it with the gameplay, soundtrack, content and style. Getting the hang of manuals and trigger combos but can definitely do better. Going to be messing with this one for a while.

Curufinwe

No, the next one Grind Switches is still locked.

I really hope the game doesn't expect us to 5 star every level just to unlock the next one. That would a really poor design choice.

The quick restarts are going to be the death of me because it is so easy and quick I just keep trying and trying and trying. Just cracked 3 million level 12 (amateur) and was and awesome and rewarding feeling doing so.

Shaneus

I just ran into this weird glitch after uploading my best run to date (broke 1.6milli on the 4th Aztec level, I know that's not THAT good but it is for me) to YouTube via my PS4. Trimmed the video & uploaded it, waited a minute and watched the video on another device and then went back to OlliOlli2 on the PS4. My skater was like moving at warp speed! He'd do everything fast. Spins were insane!! I could do like 1080s on small jumps and just twirl like it was nothing I'm the air! This happened on quite a few runs (maybe 10-20 runs with restarts) before seemingly my game went back to normal and my skater was all slow again. Has anyone experienced this? In this turbo state you can rack up the combos like crazy and I would think achieve some almost unreachable highscores this way.

I uploaded a video of that to YouTube here http://youtu.be/-V7jR4vfPt8 and I tried to reproduce the glitch/issue but I didn't have any success. I thought it might have been from OlliOlli2 being suspended while trimming a video on the PS4 to upload to YouTube (or all/any of the above) but I couldn't reproduce. Weird...

As far as bugs go, that's fucking hilarious.

ColEx

How does the cross-save feature work? I cant seem to get it working, i go to options to sync save on the PS4, turn on my Vita, go to options, and there's nothing there to load data?

Cairnsay

Banned
Jut started playing this last night, hated it for the first 20minutes or so, then controls started clicking and slowly started to enjoy it. Despite the controls been different it has that same addictive 'build your combo' feel found in Tony Hawk and Sunset Overdrive.

Still seems like it would take some sort of dark magic to get a high score over 50,000!

wapplew

Jut started playing this last night, hated it for the first 20minutes or so, then controls started clicking and slowly started to enjoy it. Despite the controls been different it has that same addictive 'build your combo' feel found in Tony Hawk and Sunset Overdrive.

Still seems like it would take some sort of dark magic to get a high score over 50,000!

Manuals man.

Daffy Duck

Man, this game is hard to start with, took me a while to click with the controls, but it's a fun little game that's for sure.

I'm sure there will be lots of frustration ahead.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
2015-03-06-135427oxjh4.jpg

Here's something I guess is painfully logical, but not immediately obvious until you perform them a few times: Integrating L+R (Double) trigger grinds (and subsequent grind switches) into your combos can substantially increase your score and potentially give you a leg up into the next score threshold.

Hold it down the entire time you are doing the motions and letting go of the stick.
Nice. That's me in the lowly number 5 position.

Temujin

I now have three stars on the first three Aztec level, but the fourth one is still locked.

You just need to finish the level (as in, make it to the end) to unlock the next one. Even if you don't get any stars, you can still unlock the next level.

Curufinwe

You just need to finish the level (as in, make it to the end) to unlock the next one. Even if you don't get any stars, you can still unlock the next level.

Yeah, I'm dumb. I thought I had finished Aztec level 3 cause I got 3 stars and a 500K+ score, but I must have bailed just before the end of the level.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
any tips for tricking out of grinds? seemed to be able to do that a lot easier with my vita & oo1....

Are you still playing on Vita? The motions for tricking out are the same for rails and flatland so I guess you just need to let go quicker before you ollie out of a rail. They really haven't changed much since the first game.

I'm playing via my PS4 now... I just think the larger DS4 stick is screwing with me vs. the smaller Vita sticks.

As far as bugs go, that's fucking hilarious.
Looks like Roll7 knows what caused the bug/glitch and will be patching it.

"@Roll_7: @dj_bsizzle Thanks, dude. We've worked out the cause - should be patched soon! :)"

I proposed to them on Twitter that it'd make a fun alternative game mode ("Turbo Mode!") with separate leaderboards. As it was super fun while it was happening to me, lol.

StNd

Seeing the trailer for OlliOlli 2, where is the multiplayer at? Vs mode or anything else? Is it not in the game or am I missing something big here?

Rosur

No, the next one Grind Switches is still locked.

I really hope the game doesn't expect us to 5 star every level just to unlock the next one. That would a really poor design choice.

You only need 5 stars for the pro version. Next level I think you just need to finish it (though haven't played past oliwood yet (unlocked the 2nd area last night) so that might change).

Slixshot

Banned
LOVING this game on PS4. Amazing Job Roll7. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original but this one is just clicking with me :)

DarkMehm

Can't seem to pull of "Pull a Crooked Grind to Bigspin Flip" in Village in the Trees. Can I keep R + Stick to the right pressed throughout the Crooked Grind and just do the Stick motion for the Flip or do I have to press the correct buttons in the air again? The latter would be incredibly difficult, the former doesn't seem to work.

Gacha-pin

Can't seem to pull of "Pull a Crooked Grind to Bigspin Flip" in Village in the Trees. Can I keep R + Stick to the right pressed throughout the Crooked Grind and just do the Stick motion for the Flip or do I have to press the correct buttons in the air again? The latter would be incredibly difficult, the former doesn't seem to work.
keep holding R

tusken77

Yeah, you're right... it was mostly jazz and lo-fi ambient stuff but that always made me kick it up a notch when it came on. Even without it there was a pretty diverse set of tracks there, but I'm just not feeling the same level of diversity with the sequel.

Maybe I need to unlock more of the music.

Totally agree about the sequel's music being samey. For me, this soundtrack isn't in the same league as the original. Interesting to hear about unlockable songs, though. How do we unlock music?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree about the sequel's music being samey. For me, this soundtrack isn't in the same league as the original. Interesting to hear about unlockable songs, though. How do we unlock music?

You unlock songs by just getting further into the game.

BadHand

The Pro levels in this game seem much more demanding in this game. I just got through all amateur and pro levels on the first stage.

I spent ages trying to get the high score in Pro 1-3, (3.2mil) In the end I had to do the entire level in one combo, spin at every opportunity, perfect everything and have trick diversity. I'm a little concerned for the later levels.

I haven't got to doing grind switches yet so maybe that's the key.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Pro levels in this game seem much more demanding in this game. I just got through all amateur and pro levels on the first stage.

I spent ages trying to get the high score in Pro 1-3, (3.2mil) In the end I had to do the entire level in one combo, spin at every opportunity, perfect everything and have trick diversity. I'm a little concerned for the later levels.

I haven't got to doing grind switches yet so maybe that's the key.
Without grind switching and manual reverts you're going to find getting higher scores much tougher.

But yeah the game is much harder than the first in general.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
SHIT!

Screwed up on the daily grind again. Was consistently getting the top score in practice but messed up on the real thing. Have to settle for second place.

vvise

My friend told me he started playing this and it actually wore out the thumbstick on his DS4. I immediately thought of this OT title and laughed at him.

Top Bottom