• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time |OT| Happy Endings Gone Forever More

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGamer

mjc said:
Its not gonna take TV by storm, but it was definitely entertaining IMO. It would be a shame if it got canceled.
Sums up my feelings...just finished watching on my DVR and definitely enjoyed it.

Loved it, I don't know where it'll go from there but the first episode was excellent and unlike most new dramas this season it seems to have high production values.

Hari Seldon

I'm definitely in, I thought the pilot was excellent, mainly due to the absolutely fabulous cast. The production value was high enough where it had a definite movie feel to it rather than a network drama. I think this show is going to be a big hit, as anecdotal evidence my mother-in-law called my wife to remind her it was on tonight, so they are going to hit their women demo really well.

The other thing that I like is that the writers seem to be in extreme control of the camp. In a show like this the camp could easily overwhelm the entire show (e.g. having Rumpelstiltskin being a bad ass mob boss), however the writing, directing, and acting actually made this believable and not campy at all.

This is probably a very solid show to get into with your g/f or wife. It has the fairy tails but also a pretty dark plot. Definitely extremely solid, especially for a network.

jax (old)

Banned
Really kind of hokey. Pretty sure it won't find an audience but I'd like to be proven wrong. Great cast though .... Still think the premise is too much for a general audience, if anyone missed episode 1, how are they going to follow this?? There was so much establishment of the "conceit"

Killzig

The stuff in fairytale land was really terrible, especially the MUAHAHAHAHAHAHEVILWITCH. Thank the gods for Jennifer Morrison in that red dress though, holy shit. I will probably only make it through episode 3.

Enosh

Big Baby Buddha said:
The stuff in fairytale land was really terrible, especially the MUAHAHAHAHAHAHEVILWITCH.
it's a fairy tale, evil witches aren't usually well developed 3 dimensional characters in those

I quite enjoyed it, still think the kids needs to die like 99% of all kids in TV and movies, the exception being Arya Stark

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I enjoyed the show immensely =3 + Grimm was/is a good fairytale weekend

Plus my Waifu (^_^):

EN0Oi.jpg

God was she amazing in Swingtown. I wuvs her so much

Medalion

Banned
I missed the pilot, so this is my first ep so naturally I have NO fucking clue what is happening but trying to roll with it all

Medalion said:
I missed the pilot, so this is my first ep so naturally I have NO fucking clue what is happening but trying to roll with it all

The pilot re-aired right before this ep. U missed out again.

Medalion

Banned
My brain hurts how hokey this all is

I have no real problem with the premise, but how it's executed, nobody looks like they can act their roles...the kid is unremarkable, Jennifer's character looks confused and worried all the time which is how I feel... the main antagonist is cheesy but kinda hot

I love sci-fi, fictional shit, some fantasy to a certain degree...but good god what is this?

Medalion said:
My brain hurts how hokey this all is

I love sci-fi, fictional shit, some fantasy to a certain degree...but good god what is this?

You'll be back next week and if you're not good riddance.

Medalion

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
You'll be back next week and if you're not good riddance.
I admit my enjoyment is not where it could be since I kinda came in missing a part of the beginning, so I am going to check out the pilot and report back later to see if I want to even bother to come back for the next ep cuz I do miss seeing Jennifer on tv

Ripclawe

Banned
Don't screw with Rumpelstiltskin in this life or the next Miss Mayor. I like how it seems Snow White is really the bad one in the fairy tales.

ivysaur12

Banned
The whole premise that Emma would stay to protect Henry or somehow understand their family situation is inherently stupid. She has no motivation to stay besides curiosity. That's all.

EDIT: Some okay special effets but this is stupidly over the top. The entire Malificent/Evil Queen thing was so poorly written and directed, especially at the beginning.

I don't know. I want to like this show. The premise seems like it could be fun, especially for an era that's all grown up with Disney characters. And it's much more ambitious than Grimm. But there are just some laps in logic that are silly.

Uh, she is his biological mother 10 years more mature. I'm sure she cares and has wondered about her son since she gave him up. Her staying isn't a shock.

I thought the main reason she is staying is because of the question she asked at the end of episode one. You know how she can always tell a lie. Well she new the mayor was lying when she said she loves her son. I just watch mainly for Robert Carlyle. What a boss.

Medalion

Banned
I just finished watching the pilot

It was a better ep overall than the one I just watched tonight but still it still had it's WTF moments to me

For a woman who insists on sounding skeptical, Emma Swan, gets dragged everywhere by this kid and sticks around... it's almost like she just listens to what everybody else tells her to do for the sake of the plot. I think this role really needs to grow because right now I am not too impressed with it.

Rumplestiltskin, the actor has a bit of a William Dafoe thing going on I can tell... abit of the Gollum/Hobgoblin/Joker thing happening.

"I will destroy you if it's the last thing I do"...lmao... this is how you thank the woman who found your son twice now and never gave her a chance to talk.

I may or may not watch next week but who knows.

Zalasta

ivysaur12 said:
I don't know. I want to like this show. The premise seems like it could be fun, especially for an era that's all grown up with Disney characters. And it's much more ambitious than Grimm. But there are just some laps in logic that are silly.

I agree. Despite the fantasy elements, the show is still set in modern days and yet these characters behave in ways that defy common sense (or logic, as you've said). I actually enjoyed some of the flashbacks, kind of a neat addendum to the stories we've all grew up with.

ivysaur12

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
Uh, she is his biological mother 10 years more mature. I'm sure she cares and has wondered about her son since she gave him up. Her staying isn't a shock.

She gave him up for a closed adoption. She has no legal right to even see Henry. In fact, she has no connection to him what so ever.

Could you imagine if you adopted someone and then the mother just showed up out of the blue and was like "I'M STAYING IN TOWN FOR A WEEK!"? There's no reason for her to stay because she obviously doesn't believe Henry's story. Making sure he's "okay"? She doesn't know him and has no reason not to trust the mayor besides her poorly defined "power" - what the mayor said at the end of the pilot is all true. The mayor is the one that took care of him since he was born-ish. Emma has no reason to be in Storybrooke besides to drop Henry off, she has no reason to stay, she has no reason to believe Henry since she hasn't witnessed anything supernatural to question her belief system, and she certainly has no reason to be a part of Henry's life.

Ohwiseone

Just got caught up (I missed it Sunday night).

Yup, I am all in, the second episode sealed it for me. I really really really like this show.

Medalion

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
She gave him up for a closed adoption. She has no legal right to even see Henry. In fact, she has no connection to him what so ever.

Could you imagine if you adopted someone and then the mother just showed up out of the blue and was like "I'M STAYING IN TOWN FOR A WEEK!"? There's no reason for her to stay because she obviously doesn't believe Henry's story. Making sure he's "okay"? She doesn't know him and has no reason not to trust the mayor besides her poorly defined "power" - what the mayor said at the end of the pilot is all true. The mayor is the one that took care of him since he was born-ish. Emma has no reason to be in Storybrooke besides to drop Henry off, she has no reason to stay, she has no reason to believe Henry since she hasn't witnessed anything supernatural to question her belief system, and she certainly has no reason to be a part of Henry's life.
Applying logic to a story world who seems tied to Fairy tales and fantasy... is iffy at best

You can just simply say that Emma feels a pull towards this town because of her 'destiny' to be the savior of the Fairy Tale world, and her connection to the boy now that she is 28 when it was prophesized she would return to save them all

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Dr. Pangloss said:
I thought the main reason she is staying is because of the question she asked at the end of episode one. You know how she can always tell a lie. Well she new the mayor was lying when she said she loves her son. I just watch mainly for Robert Carlyle. What a boss.

Bingo. (On both counts)

ivysaur12

Banned
Medalion said:
Applying logic to a story world who seems tied to Fairy tales and fantasy... is iffy at best

You can just simply say that Emma feels a pull towards this town because of her 'destiny' to be the savior of the Fairy Tale world, and her connection to the boy now that she is 28 when it was prophesized she would return to save them all

The show makes a clear distinction between fantasy and reality in the beginning. Even these are characters brought into our world, it's in our world. Throwing logic away just because it's a fantasy show is stupid.

Medalion

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
The show makes a clear distinction between fantasy and reality in the beginning. Even these are characters brought into our world, it's in our world. Throwing logic away just because it's a fantasy show is stupid.
How do you explain Emma's ability to sense lying as accurately as she does?

ivysaur12

Banned
Medalion said:
How do you explain Emma's ability to sense lying as accurately as she does?

It doesn't matter if she has powers. She's acting illogically, which is unacceptable given her character.

ivysaur12 said:

So uh stop watching if you don't like it. You're acting like Erigu.

ivysaur12 said:
It doesn't matter if she has powers. She's acting illogically, which is unacceptable given her character.

As it already been explained Emma was about to leave but before she did she asked the Mayor if she loved her son and she said yes. Obviously it was a lie and she sensed it, that's why she stayed. The evil queen has probably lost the ability to love after the spell even if she wants to (the character seems concerned about the kid but is still a manipulative soulless asshole).

ivysaur12

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
So uh stop watching if you don't like it. You're acting like Erigu.

I'm sorry that providing some criticism to a show that I feel has potential is grounds to "stop watching."

Didn't realize ever OT needed to be a circle jerk

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Medalion said:
Of course she doesn't love

She is the Evil Queen, and she killed her dad

Heartless hot nogoodnick

I think you're being a bit sarcastic here but just in case, I think there's a difference between ruthless and heartless.

I actually really liked the scene between her and her 'Daddy' because it showed her vulnerability. The fact that she hesitated and even told him what she had to do...and the mere fact that she needed to sacrifice 'that which she loves the most' is proof that she CAN and DID/DOES love her dad. I can't wait to find out what Snow White did to her that was so bad that she absolutely couldn't let it go despite the sacrifice (I hope it's not being more beautiful than her like in the fairy tale, that would be a huge let-down). Besides she even named her kid after her dad (I'd be interested in knowing what happened to her dad in real life, and if he is also called Henry).

Anyway I started seeing her as more than just pure evil, someone who could potentially be brought back. Ruthless, definitely. Heartless, I don't think so.

Medalion

Banned
Snow White took away something the Evil Queen loved more than anything that everything else seems less in comparison

ivysaur12

Banned
-Babyteks- said:
I think you're being a bit sarcastic here but just in case, I think there's a difference between ruthless and heartless.

I actually really liked the scene between her and her 'Daddy' because it showed her vulnerability. The fact that she hesitated and even told him what she had to do...and the mere fact that she needed to sacrifice 'that which she loves the most' is proof that she CAN and DID/DOES love her dad. I can't wait to find out what Snow White did to her that was so bad that she absolutely couldn't let it go despite the sacrifice (I hope it's not being more beautiful than her like in the fairy tale, that would be a huge let-down). Besides she even named her kid after her dad (I'd be interested in knowing what happened to her dad in real life, and if he is also called Henry).

Anyway I started seeing her as more than just pure evil, someone who could potentially be brought back. Ruthless, definitely. Heartless, I don't think so.

It also seems that she didn't know who Henry was before she adopted him. Which is... confusing.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
ivysaur12 said:
It also seems that she didn't know who Henry was before she adopted him. Which is... confusing.

Ah yes...I remember thinking that was bizarre. I can't tell for sure if she knows what's going on or not. (I think Rumpelstiltskin does know for sure.)

You know...I'm wondering if the thing she loves the most is Prince Charming. She's a single woman in real life, and you'd expect her to dream up a world where she's got it all. And in the fantasy world Prince Charming initially didn't want Snow White to 'stoop to her level' and resort to violence. Could Snow White be a man-stealing biatch?

ryan-ts

The witch as mayor is so sexy and the main character is not so much, hard not to root for the bad guy.

The fairy tale parts are cringe worthy most of the time.

I understand that its pretty early but I have to ask about the show and the whole premise that until Emma arrived, time had stopped in Storybrook. How does that work with all the children that live in the town and how does that work since Henry got adopted. The idea that everyone's memory is fuzzy, for the 28 years since the curse started, is brought up by Henry but how would he know if he hasn't been in the town for more than ten years. So everyone has been in stasis except Henry who ages because he is from outside the book?

Show has me hooked but the logical inconsistencies even considering its a fairy tale world are bugging me.

Also, how would Mr. Gold know that Henry is special enough for the evil Queen but fail to keep tabs on the mother of the baby if all it took was a credit card to find out who she was in reality. Unless Henry isn't special and its all a coincidence/fairytale providence that the grandson of the Queen's enemies is her son

Medalion

Banned
If the little boy is related to Emma, the saviour, and read that book about the Fairy Tale world... he believes in it because he is drawn to it and has a feeling the stuff in the book is real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom