• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM's 2.0 Space Giraffe review score explained by achievements/leaderboard?

CorwinB

Didn't some similar stuff already happen in the past, with some reviewer bashing a MMORPG, and the dev team retaliating by revealing the developer's account had only logged into the game for a very short time ?

Tellaerin

Angelus said:
Is this a souped up Tempest 2000?

Hope so because I fucking love the game and still play it to this day.
Whats the PC freeware version of the game that made the rounds as well? That one is even better since I can play it on my PC using my 360 pad. I uninstalled the damn thing and don't know its name,anyone know what its called,I need to find it.

Is this it?

Typhoon 2001

I tried this game off of PartnerNet and it's vomit inducing mess of hallucinogenics. I couldn't play it for more than a minute as I was afraid I'm going to get a migraine.

Gazunta

SPACE GIRAFFE DEFENCE FORCE UNITE

The game's fantastic. And I suck at it.

Anyone who says this game is worth a 2.0 just doesn't get it.

Saying this is just a souped up Tempest is like saying Bioshock is just a souped up System Shock. One grew from the other into something really different.

Gazunta

RiotPelaaja said:
I tried this game off of PartnerNet and it's vomit inducing mess of hallucinogenics. I couldn't play it for more than a minute as I was afraid I'm going to get a migraine.
Oh, Riot. I thought I knew you. ;)

Aaron

Burai said:
If the reviewer doesn't get it, that's not the reviewer's fault. He has every right to not get it. That's just the nature of the games that Minter makes.
I was engaging in great exaggeration, but this is something I seriously disagree with. Not every reviewer has to like a game, but they do have to 'get it' for their review to be worth more than shit. And there aren't very many incredibly obtuse games out there either. Getting it doesn't require any supreme effort, but it does sometimes require an effort. Like God Hand, for example, and IGN's infamous 3/10. Is that a valid review when it's clear the reviewer didn't understand what he was playing? Better off leave a blank space in the mag for it... if the reviewer for SG didn't get it. Haven't played it myself, so I leave that open for consideration.
Gazunta said:
Saying this is just a souped up Tempest is like saying Bioshock is just a souped up System Shock. One grew from the other into something really different.
Bioshock is a souped up System Shock 2. I say this with all due honesty.

_Angelus_

Banned
Gazunta said:
SPACE GIRAFFE DEFENCE FORCE UNITE

The game's fantastic. And I suck at it.

Anyone who says this game is worth a 2.0 just doesn't get it.

Bad choice of words on my part then. I chose those words as a positive though,not in any way as a diss against the game and Minter. I love the Tempest series and am hoping he didn't stray too far off course.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Aaron said:
I was engaging in great exaggeration, but this is something I seriously disagree with. Not every reviewer has to like a game, but they do have to 'get it' for their review to be worth more than shit. And there aren't very many incredibly obtuse games out there either. Getting it doesn't require any supreme effort, but it does sometimes require an effort. Like God Hand, for example, and IGN's infamous 3/10. Is that a valid review when it's clear the reviewer didn't understand what he was playing? Better off leave a blank space in the mag for it... if the reviewer for SG didn't get it. Haven't played it myself, so I leave that open for consideration.

I disagree with that completely, mainly because you seem to think there's a consciousness behind not understanding something. As though the critic is aware that there's another level beyond what they are seeing, but can't be bothered to break through to find it.

If you don't understand a game, you're going to think it's crap and that's where it ends.

Aaron

Burai said:
If you don't understand a game, you're going to think it's crap and that's where it ends.
I know I don't automatically fall to that assumption. If the controls don't seem to work right, the gameplay seems off, I usually try to find if I'm really playing it as the creator of the game suffered through a year or more making it actually intended. I don't just jump to the conclusion crap after I've only put in ten minutes. That would be monstrously stupid. Sometimes a game really is crap, but a reviewer should start with the benefit of the doubt.

xbhaskarx

painey said:
maybe he didnt use his main account to play it on

But either way he did play it on his main account. Even if he did use another account, why would the way he played the same game on a secondary account be all that different?

aku:jiki

Aaron said:
I know I don't automatically fall to that assumption. If the controls don't seem to work right, the gameplay seems off, I usually try to find if I'm really playing it as the creator of the game suffered through a year or more making it actually intended. I don't just jump to the conclusion crap after I've only put in ten minutes. That would be monstrously stupid. Sometimes a game really is crap, but a reviewer should start with the benefit of the doubt.
That's pretty much what I came here to post.

Burai is right in that a lot of people do have that attitude, but it certainly shouldn't be an attitude a reviewer has. Like if I'm reviewing a game and it feels crap and I'm thinking I don't get it, I'll re-read the manual, find forum posts (if the game has been released in another region already) and other reviews to see if they can clue me in.

And if a reviewer doesn't have that attitude towards certain games, it's the editors job to make sure the right person gets the right game. This is like the biggest problem with reviews -- editors basically never do this. They have "the sports guy" and "the RPG guy" but beyond basics like that, they won't put much thought into it.

Besides, OXM hate arcade games with a passion. I mean, they scored Crystal Quest higher than Mutant Storm and Jewel Quest scored higher than Bejeweled 2 -- and both of them scored higher than 80% of the games on XBLA. That's just not right.

Model 500

SG is out on Wednesday and it'll be 400!

Jeff Minter is a true videogame artist, one of the few around, much respect.

SG has been and, still is, one the games I'm most looking forward to, insta-buy.

Top Bottom