• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter interview: Nintendo here to stay, PS4 won't be $599; PS4 cheaper than Nextbox

With all the rumors of the Durango being weaker that the PS4 i highly doubt it will be more expensive. Unless Kinect 2.0 is a real version of HAL i just don't see that happening.

If it does though, crow shall be consumed!

Correction. Just looked at their earnings statement, shouldn't go on memory for this stuff. D:

1tn in cash and securities, 1.4tn total retained earnings.

Around $16bn.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Talked to Sony about Agent: "It's still under development".
I call bullshit on this one. This game is as good as dead to me unless I see it being played with my own eyes.
I also don't think PS4 will be cheaper than 720. Will be pleasantly surprised if that ends up being the case though.

Row

Banned
If 360 is really more expensive and weaker than ps4 because of Kinect - wow, no words

I doubt it

I imagine MS will position the machine as broadly as possible predominantly as a set-top box with lots of casual gaming support, with everything kinect supported. Think they'll be willing to take a significant loss to try and get in many homes as possible and recoup losses through subscription services.

Why is he asking Sony about Agent? It's a Rockstar game. Talk to them about it. Tretton pretty much told people to stop asking him, IIRC.

Elginer

The idea of me going PS4 is getting more and more solid by the day. But that Alan Wake 2 keeps calling me.

serplux

Something like 4-6 billion and no debt. I can't find the exact numbers, but it's in that range.

They survived the Virtual Boy, N64, and GameCube all in a row as well.

Hell, they profited from the GameCube. Once they get the 3DS up and running here in the West this year, they'll be fine even if the Wii U doesn't turn out the way they want it to.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well, that rumour the other day did say $529.

Still under $599! lol

Kinda a weird price though. Realistically $499 is their upper limit, unless they're losing so much money on the hardware that they're desperate for that extra $30.

TriGen

I buy most of that, but my guess was that Microsft would be cheaper than PS4. I just think since they're head-to-head Microsoft will use their financial advantage and take a slightly bigger loss at launch. We'll see. Personally I want both and would probably be willing to pick up both for a combined 1K. If one or both can be cheaper than imagined and get that number down to 800 or so I'd love it.

Being that Nintendo can basically do whatever the hell they want...and after this recent PS4 weirdness...I'm highly curious in what Nintendo has to say in the long term...I think they might come on really strong at E3

komaruR

lol any1 hear the cast?
dude was talking about the x86 terming and thinking its x86 = 32bit = 3gb ram limitation

Pachter realised his secret power. The Pachter reverse rule! Hes jusing it now to make MS the winner with 720!!

If you take this post seriously, you have a problem!

Berordn

This is all extremely reasonable, except maybe Agent. Kinect 2.0 being bundled goes with every reasonable rumor we've seen, and with the idea of a subsidized box tied to a Live account, an unsubsidized version costing more than the PS4 would make some sense.

Alx

What exactly would make Kinect 2 more expensive? Higher quality cameras?

If anything, I think the kinect2 might be less expensive than the first version : according to the leaks, the depth resolution is compatible with the current Primesense sensor (only not limited by USB2), the RGB camera is quite standard, and thanks to a wider field of view (new lenses, so no real price increase), they could remove the tilt motor.
So if it is basically a kinect1 with no mechanical component, it should be quite cheap.

Well, it's got two cameras, an insane frame rate, a wide field of view, and really fast lenses.

That's still "regular" cameras, probably slightly optimized for computer vision like PSEye and Eyetoy, but nothing too exotic. The faster framerate is allowed by resolution reduction like most CMOS sensors, the field of view is not especially high, and I don't really know what "fast lenses" are.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow if kinect makes 720 more expensive than PS4 I can't even imagine the blood that will flow here. That feels like the worst decision ever, even with many of the other bad rumors floating around 720 like always online and no used games.

Certinty

So let me get this straight, the new Xbox might:
- Block used games
- Require an internet connection
- Be less powerful than the PS4
- Be more expensive than the PS4

If those all turn out to be true, will be interesting to see how many Microsoft can sell!

If the Durango is really more expense because of Kinect, wow. Easiest decision ever.

Yeah, I'm not truly leaning to either side yet since so much is unknown. But my setup isn't optimal for Kinect anyway, so I'm not willing to pay much of a premium for it.

A lot of it for me will come down to price, but the rumors of PGR5 are enough for me to not write MS off just yet.

Going to be an interesting year, for certain.

Haunted

Still under $599! lol

Kinda a weird price though. Realistically $499 is their upper limit, unless they're losing so much money on the hardware that they're desperate for that extra $30.
Well, it was just a rumour, who knows.

If they go with several SKUs again, I think they need to take care how they price the more expensive one. For some reason, that always overrides the cheaper one in the headlines and public perception. No one talks about the (totally acceptable) 20GB SKU for $499.

Also, don't forget they can always just use their abusive relationship with Europe to recoup costs.

kenseuroscheme.jpg

No way the Nextbox is more expensive than PS4. If that's true, and given that PS4 will launch extremely close if not before Nextbox, then Microsoft is in serious trouble for their gaming division.

Not going to happen though.

And games should only be nominated for goty if they sell at least 5 million copies.

Man, people really care about what this guy has to say even though he completely misses the mark 90% of the time, it's amazing.

andthebeatgoeson

Why is there days when the media misinterprets what Pachter says to have a grudge against Nintendo and than days where he's fine with them? Confuses me.
Fixed.

After his explanation of what he does, I now realizes he doesn't know what he is talking about and it's misunderstood because of the volume of shit he shovels. It's not all of the above and he hates certain companies.

ekim

I kind of feel bad for the rap he gets around here. And after listening to the interview also, he has completely a realistic outlook about Nintendo IMO. Some tidbits:

• Jack Tretton told Pach they definitely will not charge $599 again.
  • Strongly thinks Kinect 2.0 will be bundled with 720 and make it more expensive than PS4
  • Thinks everything on PSN will be behind a paywall, except multiplayer
  • Feels certain The Last of Us will have a PS4 version
  • Talked to Sony about Agent, Sony's words: "It's still under development".
  • Nintendo's not going anywhere. Can go 20-30 years losing money like they are now before being in trouble.

Starts around the 34 minute mark: http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/20...day-gamertag-radio-michael-pachter-interview/

Agent? AGENT!

At first I had imagined PS4 more expensive due to the components. However I can see Sony pricing it lower at around $399.

Then having Microsoft pack in kinect2 and having at at 199 or 99+ subscription model attached and in the end coming at the same price or more. Didn't they do that with the 360? Maybe testing the waters?

Correction. Just looked at their earnings statement, shouldn't go on memory for this stuff. D:

1tn in cash and securities, 1.4tn total retained earnings.

Around $16bn.

Makes it even more puzzling why they didn't spend some of that to expand and prepare for HD development. Now their conservativeness is going to bite them in the ass.

Oh, now I get it. He gets to take opposite stances, so he's bound to be right this time! He can both defend and chastise Nintendo that way.

Seriously, the only way Nintendo would be in danger would be to essentially pull a PS3 and lose billions. But even a PS3 scenario of losing over 4 billion dollars wouldn't put Nintendo in trouble. This is why all the Dreamcast and Sega comparisons are so fucking stupid. At worst they will become irrelevant, but they aren't in any kind of danger besides the wrath of stockholders.

Makes it even more puzzling why they didn't spend some of that to expand and prepare for HD development.

They did. It just wasn't enough. Nintendo has expanded a lot over the last few years and invested a crap ton of money into their new R&D facility.

Top Bottom