• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter interview: Nintendo here to stay, PS4 won't be $599; PS4 cheaper than Nextbox

• Jack Tretton told Pach they definitely will not charge $599 again.
  • Talked to Sony about Agent, Sony's words: "It's still under development".

The important parts for me.
I still need to see how they decide to play out the whole used games situation though.
After those comments earlier before from the UK representative we're back to square 1 for me.

Oersted

I kind of feel bad for the rap he gets around here. And after listening to the interview also, he has completely a realistic outlook about Nintendo IMO. Some tidbits:

• Jack Tretton told Pach they definitely will not charge $599 again.
  • Strongly thinks Kinect 2.0 will be bundled with 720 and make it more expensive than PS4
  • Thinks everything on PSN will be behind a paywall, except multiplayer
  • Feels certain The Last of Us will have a PS4 version
  • Talked to Sony about Agent, Sony's words: "It's still under development".
  • Nintendo's not going anywhere. Can go 20-30 years losing money like they are now before being in trouble.

Starts around the 34 minute mark: http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/20...day-gamertag-radio-michael-pachter-interview/

I have no problem with him, but this is kinda lame.

Known things, educated guesses and well, they told him. He is an analyst, he should deliver some precise outlook, how things will turn out businesswise. For example the paywall.

Guevara

Don't underestimate Sony.

You only buy once like they do with Vita games.

You buy Last of Us on PS3, code for the PS4 version.

(That's my guess.)

I would love this.

Play these games now, but have an instant library when I decide to update to a PS4 next year. It's good for Sony too because it incentivizes people to buy games now while they wait for next gen, and also to stay with PS.

ari

Banned
So let me get this straight, the new Xbox might:
- Block used games
- Require an internet connection
- Be less powerful than the PS4
- Be more expensive than the PS4

If those all turn out to be true, will be interesting to see how many Microsoft can sell!
Every single one of those are complete rumors. The only thing that might be true is the lack of power. Seriously, 8 gddr5 as unified ram cheaper then 8 gb ddr3? Lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
1.2tn yen in cash and another 1tn yen in retained earnings.

Total in USD is about $24bn.

Uh, are they seriously sitting on ~$12bn of straight cash? Why aren't they doing anything with it (invest it in projects, make acquisitions, or at least return it to investors)?

Kolgar

Would anybody reasonably expect Sony to go $599 again? Hell, after the PS3 situation, I bet they actively avoid that price point in all their product categories. ;)

My guess is $449 or, more likely, $499.

Tobor

Uh, are they seriously sitting on ~$12bn of straight cash? Why aren't they doing anything with it (invest it in projects, make acquisitions, or at least return it to investors)?

Supposedly they are hoarding it to prevent a hostile takeover.

gaming_noob

If Durango is weaker AND more expensive then I'm going to wait for a price drop on that. If Kinect is the sole reason for it to be more expensive then arggggghhhhh

Not sure about 'Agent' unless Rockstar are going to blow us all away at E3, having decided to completely re-tool it for the PS4 very early doors.

Would be interesting to hear why he thinks 'The Last Of Us' is coming to PS4 too ...

btkadams

why would including kinect make it more expensive than ps4? isn't sony's kinect similar? it's going to be included as well.

Josh7289

How is it even an option to lose money 30 years as a company?
How can share-holders put up with that for 3 decades without insisting on going third-party at least in the console space?

Well, I assume if they have enough cash to pay their employees' salaries, they could literally just sit around and do nothing for a while until that money runs out.

(That's my guess.)
Their cross buy only works when you buy the more expensive version though. If you bought All Stars for Vita, you'd still have to pay whatever full price is to get it on PS3 (there should be a discount but there isn't).

Unless we are expecting PS3 and PS4 games to be the same price, which would be odd.

I was mistaken, it is slightly less, but basically so they can never be subject to a hostile takeover.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Micheal Pachter (paraphrased) said:
  • Nintendo's not going anywhere. Can go 20-30 years losing money like they are now before being in trouble.
* overcome with sense of dread *

MisterHero

Nintendo DOES pay dividends. They also buy back shares. The money is for emergency situations like the tsunami, or the worldwide recession, the US/Yen exchange rate killing their US income, preventing investor upheaval, etc.

Zeal

Banned
The guy sounds like he is making an effort to stop saying such ludicrous predictions. Basically Gaf got him to dial down the troll-fu.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
why would including kinect make it more expensive than ps4? isn't sony's kinect similar? it's going to be included as well.

There hasn't been any indication that that is true at all.

Sony have already said that they are not talking about what is or isn't bundled yet.

beast786

If 720 costs more than PS4, the question is what matters more then at that point:

Graphics or Kinect 2.0

I think the basic for both will be pretty same in price. The only difference again might be pay for online gaming.

Then in premium models you might get move/kinect package, Gold/Gaiki type services for 3 month free trial.

Tobor

I think we have to distinguish between general predictions for the future of the industry (where he's often enough wrong*) and particular predictions for the industry (e.g. sales) where he's pretty good.

*But to be fair, who of us isn't often enough wrong when predicting the future of this industry ? I must admit if people asked me about all sorts of stuff all day I probably wouldn't have a much better rate.

It's also important to note that some of what he is quoted on isn't even a prediction, just his opinion on what he'd like to see happen.

injurai

Banned
If they are trying to push the Kinect as hard as I think they are it will be bundled with every console as a way to get it into every Xbox owner's house for sure.

Perhaps. I know that's what they want. They run the risk of giving Sony the upper hand. Which I'm completely okay with. It just seems they are on the razors edge this gen.

btkadams

There hasn't been any indication that that is true at all.

Sony have already said that they are not talking about what is or isn't bundled yet.

...but the controllers have move-tracking lights on them that they continue to mention...why would they not include the peripheral that makes them function?

gemoran4

How is it even an option to lose money 30 years as a company?
How can share-holders put up with that for 3 decades without insisting on going third-party at least in the console space?

I think he's referring to Nintendo staying in business and not going bankrupt. Not necessarily that they will be in the hardware market for 20-30 more years even if they lost money every year.

pvpness

The important parts for me.
I still need to see how they decide to play out the whole used games situation though.
After those comments earlier before from the UK representative we're back to square 1 for me.

Same. I'm somewhat surprised that there may be a chance that the Next Xbox will be more expensive considering what the speculation says about the hardware in comparison to the PS4. I've always thought Agent was vaporware, so seeing that it's still in development is a surreal thing for me. Why would they hang on so long unless they actually have something? Wtf is going on with that game??

I think the basic for both will be pretty same in price. The only difference again might be pay for online gaming.

Then in premium models you might get move/kinect package, Gold/Gaiki type services for 3 month free trial.
Personally, I really don't think you'll be able to buy a 720 without a Kinect.

I think both will probably be leaving money on the table if they don't have a premium SKU. The core gamers are ravenous for a new system.

reson8or

Out of curiosity love to see Pachter's predictions versus what ended up happening . What's the ratio is success Michael has, anyone have any info?

If kinect is bundled in every console is anyone else worried it is necessary to use the next Xbox? What if I never use it's implemented features and it breaks? I wouldn't be able to use my console until I shelled out for a new kinect?

Deadstar

So what happens if the next xbox is more expensive than the PS4, not because it is more powerful, but because it comes bundled with kinect? Can a less powerful system with kinect attract more attention than a more powerful system without it?

saichi

(That's my guess.)

sound like wishful thinking.

EDIT: Why does Pachter keep saying Wii is at 90 mil while it's almost at 100 mil?

Hiltz

I would kind of think Microsoft wants to try to get Xbox 720 priced so it won't have to sell it at a loss for 2-3 years. It's naturally gonna be losing billions of dollars in R&D on top of it. To make matters worse, Microsoft can't get Japan to like Xbox brand.

Top Bottom