• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS3/PS4) | April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugna

Ok so got my paycheck today and I already bought SMT Raidou 1 I have like $13 left in my wallet. How are the most recent indie games? preferably the cross-buy ones.

EDIT: ohh uhh top of page recommendation for this month is Blazblue Chronophantasma (no vita games I can think of)

VLiberty

Ratchet and Clank possibly confirmed for the Vita. Link

Potential release date of June 20th, 2014.

Yes.

Though I'm wondering what's happened to Nexus Vita, which was definitely a thing (was listed by ESRB, PEGI, brazilian board and countless retailers)

It's ShopTo and a listing for Ratchet & Clank Collection on Vita. : /

That is what Mortimer left us. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that the mythical InFamous Vita is a port of the first game. Make an ugly game even uglier as it struggles to run on Vita ...

No :(

It wouldn't make any sense to release just the first game

graywolf323

Ok so got my paycheck today and I already bought SMT Raidou 1 I have like $13 left in my wallet. How are the most recent indie games? preferably the cross-buy ones.

EDIT: ohh uhh top of page recommendation for this month is Blazblue Chronophantasma (no vita games I can think of)

get Persona 4 on Tuesday :)

Takao

Banned
I would be pleased with infamous on Vita. Without my PS3 I need a way to return to those games... But I would much prefer a new installment! Make some shorter infamous experiences each starring different conduits but in the same world and put that on Vita

Why make those for Vita when you can do more Festival of Blood-style releases on PS4? : /

Though I'm wondering what's happened to Nexus Vita, which was definitely a thing (was listed by ESRB, PEGI, brazilian board and countless retailers)

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried porting Into the Nexus, but got the same results as Full Frontal Assault's port.

Luftrausers is awesome.
Also people can wait and get the Vita version of Blazblue:CP, I think. :p

VLiberty

Why make those for Vita when you can do more Festival of Blood-style releases on PS4? : /

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried porting Into the Nexus, but got the same results as Full Frontal Assault's port.

I think FFA was just badly optimized. It was probably more of a matter of time/incompetence than anything. Just think about how they messed up with the camera. I think Vita is capable of running a downgraded version of Nexus.

Massa

I think FFA was just badly optimized. It was probably more of a matter of time/incompetence than anything. Just think about how they messed up with the camera. I think Vita is capable of running a downgraded version of Nexus.

FFA had framerate issues on PS3, and that's with mature technology made by Insomniac with 8 years of experience working on PS3. Trying to get a small team unfamiliar with it to port it to Vita was a bad idea to begin with, and it boggles the mind that Sony tried it again with Into the Nexus. It won't happen, the hardware and that codebase don't go together.

Sony seems to be trying desperately to improve the financial situation of their studios, and a game of that budget would sell significantly more on PS4. It's not exactly a hard decision.

There's no point in making Vita games that the market won't support. They should support the platform in viable ways, not by burning money. That means ports, niche games localizations, and more importantly games that actually have a chance to do well on Vita, like OlliOlli or TxK.

Shinriji

You are right. But the thing is that Sony won this generation and PS4 is on cruise control right now. Sony First Party games will be few and far between them since a lot of them bombed on the PS3.

So I don't think that we will see smaller games on either Vita or PS4. It's all AAA from now on.

cafemomo

I've never played any of them, so I wouldn't even know where to start. Aren't they all related, the Devil Summoner as well?

found this in my HD, hasn't been updated with SMT IV tho

vhfolbh.jpg

ramyeon

found this in my HD, hasn't been updated with SMT IV tho
There's not much point in looking at timelines or even considering them until you've played a lot of the games though. The links between them are subtle and minimal in most cases. It's definitely not something that needs to be considered when diving into the series for the first time, except in the rare case that two games are directly connected.

Edit: This video helps if you really want to know timeline stuff, but once again someone jumping into the series for the first time is just gonna be confused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQrxFQvsFWc

If you just want to jump in and play Persona you don't need to care about the timeline. You can enjoy every game on its own without even considering the continuity.

And if you're keen on really getting into the wider SMT stuff watch that video series from the start, could help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-R4jZ1gVwM

Tizoc

I've never played any of them, so I wouldn't even know where to start. Aren't they all related, the Devil Summoner as well?

And does anyone know if the Shinobi Classic port is anygood?

Depends on whcih Shinobi game you're talking about ;)
Shinobi 2 port is by M2 which means it's a fantastic port.
The PS2 port is OK
Shinobi 3 is still the Backbone port but should run fine.

m0t0k1

got it for sale when it was for 500 yen

it's awful

The game is OK, not the best version of SMB, because the minigames aren't as good. There is a lot of stages, much of them are insanely hard. Using the gyro is awesome, but a little bit oversensitive. Game looks pretty good, at native res, 60FPS and lots of AA.

Retail version is about $10 these days, and for this price is a no brainer.

I got it for 14 something dollars back during the amazing PS Vita sale last Auguest and its a good game :). The game is good for just using face-buttons alone with Monkey Ball (as both Wii games had forced motion control) and the maps are quite challenging, so that part of the game is solid. The games visuals, while not super impressive, have vivid colors and (what I believe) runs at 60FPS with Native Res. Mini-Games, a Monkey Ball staple are good, as the classics like Bowling, Target and so on return (with some okay-ish new ones). The game as a whole is a good game but at it current price (30 bucks on PSN/20ish bucks at GameStop used) isn't worth it. The gameplay is solid, but its really just more of the same gameplay that you saw with Monkey Ball 1 and 2, and while that isn't a bad thing at all, those games are better then this. If you really want the game though, its not a bad game in the slightest and if it means anything, it has more content/features than the 3DS Monkey Ball :).

The level design is great and typical Super Monkey Ball gameplay. If you liked 1 and 2 you'll like this. It's pretty much the same thing. Hard as nails just like those games too.

However. Yes, there is unfortunately a however. However the way they've implemented the content is awful. Basically the only single player mode for the main game is challenge mode. This means you have to go through the entire game in one run EVERY TIME. With limited lives and continues. Considering how hard the game is, it makes it super frustrating. The game would have been a lot better if it had a SMB2 style story mode where you can just go one level at a time and save after each individual level.

As I said, as far as level design goes it's exactly what you expect from a SMB game. However due to you having to go through the entire game in one run every time with limited lives it's super frustrating for the wrong reasons. Not what you would want from a portable game either, since the game isn't very good in short bursts for this reason. Make your own decision. Personally I got the game the day it came out and didn't regret my purchase despite the frustrating aspects.

Yeah i saw it up in a clearance for €15 at a local store. I used to love them and if they are a challenge i would like to try it out. It really is a bummer that there only is a challenge mode and not practice like on the gamecube ones but for €15 i don't got much to lose even if it is a turd. Also using the stick instead of gyro is a big + for me. Thanks for all the feedback guys

Omerta

Pretty specific ass question here, but does anyone know if Football Manager for the Vita is being released in Australia?

Digital or physical. Don't really want to import it if I can avoid it but I will if necessary.

ramyeon

Pretty specific ass question here, but does anyone know if Football Manager for the Vita is being released in Australia?

Digital or physical. Don't really want to import it if I can avoid it but I will if necessary.
EB's site has it up for release on April 11.

Kugar77

Just got around to starting Tales of Xillia... really fun so far! The battles are a little frenetic though, I have trouble blocking and dodging at the right time when there's multiple enemies. Any tips for a tales noob? Some of the dialogue is pretty great too. I generally don't play games with the "anime-aesthetic" but I really like those opening music video-ish openings that P4G and Tales of Xillia have

m0t0k1

Just got around to starting Tales of Xillia... really fun so far! The battles are a little frenetic though, I have trouble blocking and dodging at the right time when there's multiple enemies. Any tips for a tales noob? Some of the dialogue is pretty great too. I generally don't play games with the "anime-aesthetic" but I really like those opening music video-ish openings that P4G and Tales of Xillia have

I just bought Tales of Xillia and went straight into my backlog but if you play tales you are bound to get damage. So always have a partner set to heal and when facing a though boss battle maybe a second healer. Also don't know if it is in xillia but make plenty of use of the backdash get a couple of hits in on the enemy and then backdash dodge their attack and go straight back in. Also only block if you know you cant backdash but know something is comming. Also make sure you have plenty of gells on you so if your healing caster is to slow you retreat and use an apple gel or something. hope this helps a bit.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah i saw it up in a clearance for €15 at a local store. I used to love them and if they are a challenge i would like to try it out. It really is a bummer that there only is a challenge mode and not practice like on the gamecube ones but for €15 i don't got much to lose even if it is a turd. Also using the stick instead of gyro is a big + for me. Thanks for all the feedback guys

Ok technically what I said isn't correct. There IS a practice mode as well. The problem is that is just to practice levels you've already played. You can practice those stages whenever you want, but beating a level in practice mode isn't going to unlock the next stage is you didn't reach that stage in challenge. So just like SMB1 really, except unlike SMB1 you can't unlock infinite continues and just force your way through the entire game in one run. The lack of a SMB2 style story mode where you can do a stage at a time saving after each one is what I meant.

Let me paint the picture of our average play experience. You'll play challenge mode, get however far you're going to get before losing all your lives, then you can go in to practice to practice the levels you struggled on so you won't make the same mistakes hopefully when you reach that stage in your next challenge playthrough. Then you're going to have to go through challenge mode again for a fairly long playthrough to get to where you lost before. You'll beat the level you lost on before.....then probably get game over on the very next stage or not much further than that. Then the process repeats. And repeats. And repeats. You'll get ever so slightly further and you get used to and perfect your runs through stages, but it's a slow prodding experience requiring long playthrough from the start after long playthrough from the start.

But I'm glad you're getting it anyway. Despite that annoyance there's a lot of fun to be had. I think the difficulty curve could have been a lot better though. Begginer and normal are both way too easy and then advanced just throws you straight in to the deep end without build up. The game goes from super easy to super hard. I think the game needed another set of levels in between normal and advanced that offered the kind of challenge of the medium difficulty stages in SMB1 and 2.

nampad

So what's the consensus on MLB: The Show 14 on the Vita. Played the demo of the PS3 version some years ago and was impressed by it. Don't know anything about Baseball though but A good sports game on my Vita would be nice.

Also thinking about the PS4 version because it probably will be a technical showcase for the hardware. Guess Remote Play lag will be too much for pitching and hitting?
Would be crazy of me to double dip on a sport that I don't really like.

So what's the consensus on MLB: The Show 14 on the Vita. Played the demo of the PS3 version some years ago and was impressed by it. Don't know anything about Baseball though but A good sports game on my Vita would be nice.

Also thinking about the PS4 version because it probably will be a technical showcase for the hardware. Guess Remote Play lag will be too much for pitching and hitting?

I got it and I love it. Best portable baseball game ever (and the only good one).

It's not got automatic replays on big plays (you can manually instant replay in the pause menu) but the presentation is great
The only slowdown I notice is when the camera pans to show the dugout with the team and manager in it.

Sounds like you should wait for PS4 version if you don't love baseball

nampad

I got it and I love it. Best portable baseball game ever (and the only good one).

It's not got automatic replays on big plays (you can manually instant replay in the pause menu) but the presentation is great
The only slowdown I notice is when the camera pans to show the dugout with the team and manager in it.

Sounds like you should wait for PS4 version if you don't love baseball

Thanks. Thing about the PS4 version is that I would probably just dwell on the graphics a little bit and not actually play it like with NBA 2k14 right now and I like basketball. I am too much of a portable gamer right now and when I use the PS4 it is mainly for Fifa or BF4.
As I heard the game has a significant learning curve, I guess the Vita version would be smarter.

impact

Banned

The Show would be terrible at 30fps and with added lag so I'd advice against remote play

I was enjoying Sly 4 but the minigames and basically any non Sly mission is total garbage.

It's a shame they keep coming up. The base platforming is very fun; I guess if you've been playing since Sly 1, you might like some variety. But it's my first in the series and I just want to like... platform. Very reminiscent of this sort of crap in the Jak games;

Immersion breaking, game-padding shite.

In other words, Killzone Mercenary's multiplayer is addictive as hell. I don't know whether it's just because it's portable, but it's the most fun I've had in a multiplayer FPS in a long time. The combat is surprisingly varied, the maps are a little samey but genuinely good (love the seafront one), and having only 8 players to fight isn't as big a problem as I thought it would be.

Sony need to get this out on demo stations in stores, alongside Tearaway (but in a very different way) it really shows off what the Vita is capable of!

Li Kao

Hmm, so guys... Like I said in a previous post, I know these are not games 100% in the same genre but I've been itching to play a portable 3d action game lately. MHF Unite ? God Eaters ? Ragnarok Odyssey Ace ? Toukiden ?
I don't really feel the urge to play Soul Sacrifice so there is that, and while not a graphic whore, I must admit that I would'nt mind some shinies in my brawls. I was thinking Toukiden, but beyond the inherent repetitiveness of the genre I wonder if the lack of side activities could be boring to me. Is MH the only series with side activities ?
I don't know, Toukiden would be my first choice, but the mindless fun of Ragnarok could be nice...

...yes, I'm in the middle of playing Pokemon Platinum and I'm bored out of my mind. I need me some action. Now.

ZeroAKA

Hmm, so guys... Like I said in a previous post, I know these are not games 100% in the same genre but I've been itching to play a portable 3d action game lately. MHF Unite ? God Eaters ? Ragnarok Odyssey Ace ? Toukiden ?
I don't really feel the urge to play Soul Sacrifice so there is that, and while not a graphic whore, I must admit that I would'nt mind some shinies in my brawls. I was thinking Toukiden, but beyond the inherent repetitiveness of the genre I wonder if the lack of side activities could be boring to me. Is MH the only series with side activities ?
I don't know, Toukiden would be my first choice, but the mindless fun of Ragnarok could be nice...

...yes, I'm in the middle of playing Pokemon Platinum and I'm bored out of my mind. I need me some action. Now.
What's wrong with Soul Sacrifice? Ragnarok Odyssey wasn't very good, and I personally find MH's combat to be too slow-paced.

Sly on Vita is surprisingly good. Played the first introductory mission and was impressed by the presentation.

Too bad on PSN they force you to download the localized version of the game.

I got Soul Sacrifice on PS+ and it gets repetitive after a few hours, I really wish It had more spells and more varied gameplay. The story and the lore is pretty interesting tough.

Li Kao

What's wrong with Soul Sacrifice? Ragnarok Odyssey wasn't very good, and I personally find MH's combat to be too slow-paced.

Nothing wrong, maybe more of a combination of factors. I'm not too fond of the very dark tone of the game, but more importantly I seem to recall that Delta is rumored to be US-bound pretty soon, while Toukiden next iteration is still relatively far away. I thought I could try another comparable game and bite on Delta when the time comes.
But really, I'm pretty open to suggestions.

VLiberty

Lucid Games ‏@LucidGamesLtd 22 h

We've submitted two games this week and had one released, been very busy behind the scenes!

Lucid Games ‏@LucidGamesLtd 22 h

And one was on Vita, that's our third Vita game, has anyone developed more than three Vita games? @shahidkamal will know..

Shahid Kamal Ahmad ‏@shahidkamal 22 h

@LucidGamesLtd oh yeah @DoubleElevenLtd have done LBP, Limbo and PixelJunk Monsters with more on the way. 3 is a great number though.

14:56 - 4 apr 2014 · Dettagli
Double Eleven ‏@DoubleElevenLtd 27 min

@shahidkamal @LucidGamesLtd hopefully 5 minimum by year end. :). Number 6 potentially early 2015. @curvestudios Have racked up a few too

One more game from Lucid Games (Jacob Jones ep 2?) and at least three more from Double Eleven. We already know about Frozen Synapse and PJ Shooter Ultimate, but there's a third game coming in early 2015 we still don't know about.

netguy503

Hey GAF, I'm new to vita and I have a question. Is Sounds Shapes the only game that will instantly give me a plat if I have a plat on the ps3 version or are there others? Is there a list anywhere? Thanks.

Hmm I'd suggest playing God Eater before native Vita hunting games as going back later to it might be less enjoyable. Also it's much shorter as you can get it finished in like 60-70 hours while Toukiden is 100+ at least and around 250 if you want platinium.

Plus it would be most economical as it's cheap PSP game while Toukiden/Ragnarok are full price.

Number45

Hey GAF, I'm new to vita and I have a question. Is Sounds Shapes the only game that will instantly give me a plat if I have a plat on the ps3 version or are there others? Is there a list anywhere? Thanks.
There are others. Hotline Miami is one apparently, but I don't know of a list.

EDIT: Motorstorm RC is another.

m0t0k1

Ok technically what I said isn't correct. There IS a practice mode as well. The problem is that is just to practice levels you've already played. You can practice those stages whenever you want, but beating a level in practice mode isn't going to unlock the next stage is you didn't reach that stage in challenge. So just like SMB1 really, except unlike SMB1 you can't unlock infinite continues and just force your way through the entire game in one run. The lack of a SMB2 style story mode where you can do a stage at a time saving after each one is what I meant.

Let me paint the picture of our average play experience. You'll play challenge mode, get however far you're going to get before losing all your lives, then you can go in to practice to practice the levels you struggled on so you won't make the same mistakes hopefully when you reach that stage in your next challenge playthrough. Then you're going to have to go through challenge mode again for a fairly long playthrough to get to where you lost before. You'll beat the level you lost on before.....then probably get game over on the very next stage or not much further than that. Then the process repeats. And repeats. And repeats. You'll get ever so slightly further and you get used to and perfect your runs through stages, but it's a slow prodding experience requiring long playthrough from the start after long playthrough from the start.

But I'm glad you're getting it anyway. Despite that annoyance there's a lot of fun to be had. I think the difficulty curve could have been a lot better though. Begginer and normal are both way too easy and then advanced just throws you straight in to the deep end without build up. The game goes from super easy to super hard. I think the game needed another set of levels in between normal and advanced that offered the kind of challenge of the medium difficulty stages in SMB1 and 2.

Well that is great news that it contains Practice mode. The thing i loved about smb2 was that i could indeed practice some of the harder stages. Also the 99 lives helped a lot. I can still complete Master difficulty on smb2 thanks to that, but smb1 is impossible at the moment for me it is way harder probably because i am not that familiar with the levels i guess.

The thing i disliked most about smb3ds was that there where fucking rails everywhere until up to the later worlds and those werent difficult either. Also i can deal with a lot of the frustrating parts in monkey ball so i think i will be fine. pretty excited to play monkey ball again if smb on vita is better then on the 3ds then it was already worth the €15 so thanks again on filling me in on that practice mode makes it way more easy for me to drop the money. Will be going to the store tommorow to get it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well that is great news that it contains Practice mode. The thing i loved about smb2 was that i could indeed practice some of the harder stages. Also the 99 lives helped a lot. I can still complete Master difficulty on smb2 thanks to that, but smb1 is impossible at the moment for me it is way harder probably because i am not that familiar with the levels i guess.

The thing i disliked most about smb3ds was that there where fucking rails everywhere until up to the later worlds and those werent difficult either. Also i can deal with a lot of the frustrating parts in monkey ball so i think i will be fine. pretty excited to play monkey ball again if smb on vita is better then on the 3ds then it was already worth the €15 so thanks again on filling me in on that practice mode makes it way more easy for me to drop the money. Will be going to the store tommorow to get it.

Oh it's much better than the 3DS game. That game was dumbed down as fuck. The Vita game did a good job of bringing hardcore back to Super Monkey Ball after the joke of a game that was the 3DS game. Would have been nice if they could have done that without the annoyances but still.

Man I wish Sega would port the first two games to Vita. I'd pay so much money for portable versions of SMB1 and 2.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Store Sneak Peek - April 8th Edition

Demos
King Oddball (PS4)
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle (PS3)

PS2 Classic
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

PS4 Games
King Oddball
LEGO: The Hobbit
RBI Baseball
Strike Suit Zero: Director’s Cut

PS3 Games
RBI Baseball
The Wolf Among Us: Episode 3

PS Vita Game

PS Mobile Games
Don’t Die Dateless, Dummy
The Zombies Unleashed
Princess Revolution
Rival

http://www.psnstores.com/2014/04/playstation-store-sneak-peek-april-8th-2014/

Tapejara

Didn't know Sly 4 was a double platinum. Kinda wish I had known when I bought just the Vita version at launch.

There are others. Hotline Miami is one apparently, but I don't know of a list.

EDIT: Motorstorm RC is another.

I think Hotline Miami is a shared trophy list, so only one platinum.

Thanks. It would be most helpful.

I've heard Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are double plat as well. But IIRC it can be glitched if you don't transfer properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom