• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 01/07/10 Matt Hazard | Dark Void Demo

kassatsu said:
The new year for Qore started in June. He is taking about what we have got since then
Oh, okay :).

On a side note... I'm experiencimng some weird error. The font on my system (especially in the store) turnes black sometimes and even disappears a few times. So if you browse PSOne games, it won't show titles or just with a dark font. Happened to the date in the top right corner aswell. Anybody else experienced that problem?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Crewnh said:
And what's this Cell Factor thing?
It's a first-person shooter with bots. Demo was pretty neat, reminded me of UT/Q3A. (I realize that pro players will find it grotesque that I'd combine those two as if they were that similar, but that's how I felt. :p )

Filldough

Turtles is the arcade version so its missing some levels from the SNES version I loved back in the day. Was still fun but I played thru it once and totally forgot about it. $5 bucks aint bad for a quick trip to nostalgia land though.

I wanna try Dark Void demo, doesnt sound promising from what I've seen though :lol

Oh well, might as well see for myself. I think I'm going to pick up Bayonetta this weekend, I need a new game fix.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GeoramA said:
Meh update.

Fuck that.

Disgaea 2 PSP DLC + Two free characters as promised to fix the bitching "ZOMG NO DLC ON STICK! YOU MUST HAVE DLC ON STICK!" 'bug' + LONG LONG LONG OVERDUE (it was up back in October, but got pulled due to issues with the DLC) = Awesome update.

Crewnh said:
And what's this Cell Factor thing?

A UT clone without the awesome or community. You're better off buying UT3 for PS3, having mods + a small/100-5K community playing.

Yay, Armor Core is still on sale. I think I'm going to buy that when I get some cash next week. Has anyone played it besides GAF's "reviewer" that went "ZOMG I HATE ARMORED CORE AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT REVIEWING THIS" (seriously) and knows if it's worth the $10? I enjoyed AC1 on PSX, but haven't played any of the sequels after.

Agent X

jvm said:
So, I commented on the "most anticipated PSP/DS" games thread over at Gamasutra, making my usual case for Pac-man CE on the PSP. And there was this interesting comment:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ted_Games_Of_2010_DS_And_PSP.php#comment39494

I admit that I haven't really paid that close attention to the minis program, but is this commenter right? I know that EU > NA in terms of minis, but I didn't think through to the "must be more EU devs" part.

I don't know for sure about Pac-Man CE, but I believe most of Jeremy's observations are accurate. I've noticed the same thing for a while now. Minis seems to be mostly a European initiative, with North America merely tagging along for the ride. This was kind of foretold with Minis being announced at Gamescom (European show), and with SCEE promoting Minis much more than SCEA has been doing. BTW, Gameloft is European, so for North American support that leaves EA, Subatomic Studios (Fieldrunners developers), and perhaps one or two others.

I've also noticed (in this post last week) the nearly complete lack of support for Minis from Japanese developers. I have no idea why they wouldn't have Minis in Japan; I can't fathom any reason why they shouldn't.

Cruzader

Banned
kassatsu said:
The new year for Qore started in June. He is taking about what we have got since then

yea thanx for correcting me. sucks because last years or should I say Qore's 1st year, had a bunch of cool things that I thought made it a worthy service. Now that I got it, Im regreting it since we havent gotten as much cool bonus stuff so its making me double think my mind if I should purchase another sub after June 2010. If they want to keep their costumes, they better give us more than crap themes. The actual "content" is still pretty mediocre at best and its not something I would consider premium content so they better step up also.

Also why cant we export the cool artwork/pics from Qore? Its retarded stuff llike this thats pissing me off.

So, just as promised her are some pictures I've taken of Spelunker Black.

Quick info:
- standalone; "Minna de Spelunker" not needed
- features full game just the most part is blacked out
- contains the exact same 47 trophies trophy list as "Minna de Spelunker"
- game is completely translated into english; everything

Sorry for the bad pictures btw. :( ...

vsp2kj.jpg
ienypv.jpg

4iig6v.jpg
11lu792.jpg

And now this is basically the difference between both games (shows same level):
sbc3.jpg
ohqydu.jpg

I've just played the first level and it's hard as fuck. Seriously, this won't be easy :( ...

Cruzader said:
wtf i want that game! US release better have both regular story+black.
Well, considering that the regular one is ¥2400 and Black is ¥1200 I don't see that happen. Also they are two different games with a seperate throphy list as explained. It's a miracle to me that they still were not able to release this in the west. At least the US got it announced...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mailenstein said:
Well, considering that the regular one is ¥2400 and Black is ¥1200 I don't see that happen. Also they are two different games with a seperate throphy list as explained. It's a miracle to me that they still were not able to release this in the west. At least the US got it announced...

I'm not sure I want to buy it. The achievement whore in me cries at how hard the game apparently is. :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Awful update to the US store. No PS1 games, and trash for PSP games. The upcoming lack of Metal Slug XX for DD makes it hurt that much worse.

androvsky

MrPliskin said:
Is anyone else dying for a PixelJunk Shooter dynamic theme?

Not quite, but I'd love a Gravity Crash dynamic theme. And wasn't there supposed to be a Critter Crunch dynamic theme?

Dwayne

kassatsu said:
I would just wait, it is ESRB rated. You will be overpaying if you get it from HK or JP
Just out of curiosity, when did that happen? Tozai games have been quiet since they announced they were bringing it over earlier in the year.

edit: 53 days ago... according to you :)

Cheers

Takao

Banned
TheSeks said:
Yay, Armor Core is still on sale. I think I'm going to buy that when I get some cash next week. Has anyone played it besides GAF's "reviewer" that went "ZOMG I HATE ARMORED CORE AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT REVIEWING THIS" (seriously) and knows if it's worth the $10? I enjoyed AC1 on PSX, but haven't played any of the sequels after.

While I haven't played it, with this week's update From Software announed Armored Core: Silent Line for a PlayStation Store exclusive release on PSP. It's supposed to go for $14.99 so you may want to wait for that one.

kassatsu

Banned
Dwayne said:
Just out of curiosity, when did that happen? Tozai games have been quiet since they announced they were bringing it over earlier in the year.

edit: 53 days ago... according to you :)

Cheers
I will ask tozai what is up. I have to write a review for Kurulin Fusion tomorrow anyway.

Speaking of that, anyone wanna hop on adhoc-party and play some multiplayer?

Speevy

Banned
Let me get this straight. They took the original game, which is difficult because of unforgiving, old school gameplay mechanics rather than clever design choices and put it...in the dark.

Dwayne said:
Is the original game in full english as well? might get a HK PSN store card.
Yes.

Speevy said:
Let me get this straight. They took the original game, which is difficult because of unforgiving, old school gameplay mechanics rather than clever design choices and put it...in the dark.
Exactly :).

Shadow780

Nice feature on Heavy Rain, but minor spoilers(?) I guess.

Actually nice Qore overall featuring Dante's Inferno, Heavy Rain, Bayonetta and Bioshock 2.

also, not bad <3

Gagaman

I didn't get the auto-hate for the Matt Hazard game (though I didn't play Eat Lead), I found it fun in a mindless cheesy kind of way. Don't think I'd spend £10 on it though, but if it gets reduced in the near future I'd probably buy it. Hardly the worst game I've ever played.

Xater

Gagaman said:
I didn't get the auto-hate for the Matt Hazard game (though I didn't play Eat Lead), I found it fun in a mindless cheesy kind of way. Don't think I'd spend £10 on it though, but if it gets reduced in the near future I'd probably buy it. Hardly the worst game I've ever played.

Because there are way better alternatives.

Between Contra 4, Metal Slug XX and Matt Hazard which one would you pick?

Gagaman

Xater said:
Because there are way better alternatives.

Between Contra 4, Metal Slug XX and Matt Hazard which one would you pick?
I own Contra 4 and countless Metal Slug games, but as I said for a cheap price I'd give this one a go anyway, but not for the current price. Is it really a big deal that I didn't think it was all that bad? Mind you I have a thing for cheesy games like this anyway (bought Onechabara on the Wii for a fiver the other week.)!

Xater

Goldrusher said:
You do realize Matt Hazard is a PS3 game ? Not a DS or PSP title.

If you only own a PS3 and think this is good then do whatever you want. I just don#t see any appeal in the title.

Haunted

Played the Matt Hazard game, it's terrible as expected. Clearly a budget title and it shows.

Gagaman said:
Nah, it's pretty terrible.

You're better off getting one of the Meta Slug games/collections that are available on pretty much any platform. Or fuck, play some flash games in the same vein on newgrounds, even wasting your time with those would be preferable to this.

edit: shit, it looks like the Gamecube and the PS3 are the only major systems without a MS title available. >_<

Gagaman

Haunted said:
Played the Eat Lead game, it's terrible as expected. Clearly a budget title.

Nah, it's pretty terrible.

You're better off getting one of the Meta Slug games/collections that are available on pretty much any platform. Or fuck, play some flash games in the same vein on newgrounds, even wasting your time with those would be preferable to this.

edit: shit, it looks like the Gamecube and the PS3 are the only major systems without a MS title available. >_<
I already have plenty of Metal Slug games. But really, worse than newgrounds games? How?

It played like a light hearted contra clone to me and I didn't stumble into any glitches, and it was smooth running and controlled fine. At the worst I'd call it average for £10 but if cheaper it'd be some quick fun. But I just keep repeating myself because apparently my opinion is incorrect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, Dark Void actually plays smoother on PS3. Quite surprised, considering the engine.

Still want to try the PC version as the game might feel a lot better at 60 fps.

Haunted

Gagaman said:
I already have plenty of Metal Slug games. But really, worse than newgrounds games? How?

It played like a light hearted contra clone to me and I didn't stumble into any glitches, and it was smooth running and controlled fine. At the worst I'd call it average for £10 but if cheaper it'd be some quick fun. But I just keep repeating myself because apparently my opinion is incorrect.
Obviously, why else would I have a different one? :eek:

Seriously though, I'd prefer a competent Metal Slug clone over the Matt Hazard game. I just felt it was supremely boring and showed its low budget in pretty much every aspect. Design, animation, music. Terrible.

But fuck, if you actually enjoyed it and want to buy it, damn, don't mind us and just go ahead. Different strokes etc. :)

Gagaman

Haunted said:
Obviously, why else would I have a different one? :eek:

Seriously though, I'd prefer a competent Metal Slug clone over the Matt Hazard game. I just felt it was supremely boring and showed its low budget in pretty much every aspect. Design, animation, music. Terrible.

But fuck, if you actually enjoyed it and want to buy it, damn, don't mind us and just go ahead. Different strokes etc. :)
That's the thing, I only want to buy it if they ever drop it's price from the £10 it is now. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I only played through the demo levels once, and I was almost tempted to buy it until I saw the price.

Personally I don't find that low budget games put me off them if I enjoy them. In comparison I found the Dark Void demo mind numbingly boring. I think there's a reason I tend to buy more PSN games than I do retail "AAA" games (though I doubt dark Void will be classed as one of those). :p

Dark Void is just atrocious. All the major design elements look like they belong in a B-title about 5 years ago. Its too late to look at Crimson Skies with nostalgia - boat missed! Not a single element seems like its taken into consideration anything of this entire generation.

I'm not TOO upset about the update, because I finally got my excuse to jump in on Prince of Persia Classic! At $5 I couldn't say no any longer.

TMNT was great fun for anybody who played the original and doesn't mind spending $5 for a couple hours of fun with a friend (my wife loved it).

Other than that...... I guess I'll wait for next week.

thelastword

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, Dark Void actually plays smoother on PS3. Quite surprised, considering the engine.

I agree, maybe it's the controller, since the DS3 is like second nature to me, but it was quite smooth on the PS3. I played the 360 version first by the way, as it was available on wednesday.

I agree also that a PC version may look quite good in terms of visuals and 60fps, but I think the PS3 version controls well enough, framerate is not bad and trophies makes it a more likely purchase for me on that platform. One thing's for sure though, I won't buy it at $60.00, not with what's upcoming, so maybe later on this year after the Q1 triple AAA onslaught.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm still kind of miffed about the sad update.

On the other hand, I'm only 4 races from completing all of Ridge Racer PSP.

M3Freak

Banned
dark10x said:

I played it and enjoyed it. It's not on par with Uncharted 2, but it's not shit either. I'd buy this after a price drop or trade for it on Goozex.

I'm not sure why Dark Void was getting trashed in the other thread.

kassatsu

Banned
Got me one of these for the site!

5ckhus.jpg

So now I will hopefully be doing some 5 min short videos for all the games I get. Would really help for smaller psp minis that no one will see otherwise.

Anything else you guys would like me to do video content wise?

jvm

Gamasutra.
kassatsu said:
Got me one of these for the site!
Image not coming through for me. :p I assume it's a video capture or camera.

Anyway, not sure what I'd ask. I guess as we hear about games and you get access to them, we'd want to see unfiltered gameplay stuff.

Top Bottom