• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short, Obama voters will stay home, leading to a Romney victory. Hubris before the final fall

Problem with this is it usually acts in the opposite way. Polls tend to underestimate blowouts because people don't go to vote for losers and people love to vote for winners.

And in states that are close, everyone shows up.

Pretty significant dropoff
jM65F934WJ1VD.jpg

Ann Romney said:
“I love the fact that there are also women out there that don’t have a choice, that they must go to work and they still have to raise the kids,” Romney said. “Sometimes life isn’t easy for any of us.”

At a Fund Raiser. Winner for me though is...

“Some people think that I didn’t work,” Romney said. “I didn’t have help for many, many years.”

Jonm1010

Banned
At a Fund Raiser. Winner for me though is...

See, Im ok when Romney says he gave away his inheritance money - though his inheritance came to him well after his success at Bane Capital. Because its true, he did.

But I get annoyed when he tries to then make the leap that he is basically the same as the low income kid who literally had nothing and is trying to make his way to the top.

Romney is one of the few fortunate people in this country to be born into a family with the funds and connections to guarantee him the best schools and the ability to not have to support himself while attending them. Not to mention a family name that probably opened many doors that would never be opened to people without such prestigious backgrounds.

See, Im ok when Romney says he gave away his inheritance money - though his inheritance came to him well after his success at Bane Capital. Because its true, he did.

But I get annoyed when he tries to then make the leap that he is basically the same as the low income kid who literally had nothing and is trying to make his way to the top.

Romney is one of the few fortunate people in this country to be born into a family with the funds and connections to guarantee him the best schools and the ability to not have to support himself while attending them. Not to mention a family name that probably opened many doors that would never be opened to people without such prestigious backgrounds.

Twas Ann who said that.

Also, that is an insanely stupid remark. The Dems should pound on that one. Sounds like it can be translated as "I like that there are poor mothers."

Nothing to worry about, right dax/aaron strife/etc?

Since when do 18-34 year olds matter in an election?

It will be interesting to see if Obama's ground game can get some of that enthusiasm back. That is a pretty steep drop-off, though.

I just don't see that working, given the horrific unemployment rates among young people - most of whom were crazy about Obama four years ago; how did that work out. Black and Hispanic unemployment rates are quite high as well.

Many people are truly struggling and have no idea the economy is "getting better." It's not surprising why the groups that propelled Obama to victory won't be nearly as enthused for four more years of the same

GhaleonEB

NH Poll: Obama By 9, Romney Seen Unfavorably

A new poll of New Hampshire shows President Obama with a nine point lead in the state, as his overall approval rating and rating on the economy have recovered. Obama gets 51 percent of likely voters in the poll, conducted by the University of New Hampshire (UNH) for Manchester, NH television station WMUR, while like GOP nominee and former Romney sees 42 percent support.

Obama’s approval rating is at a positive 50 - 47 split after spending most of 2011 underwater in UNH’s polling, and his approval on the economy stands at 47 percent against 50 percent disapproval, again better than it was in 2011. Romney’s personal favorability is at 36 percent among likely voters in the state, against 51 percent unfavorable.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/nh-poll-obama-by-9-romney-seen-unfavorably

markatisu

Pretty significant dropoff
jM65F934WJ1VD.jpg

Wow context is everything, in April 2008 Hilary and Obama were fighting it out to be the Democratic nominee the first Non-Bush election. A Woman and a Minority compared to Robot Romney, yup same thing

But yeah 2012 is the same thing

Watch that number when we get to September and it will rise

And I know PD is doing his usual schtick but LOL at using black and latino unemployment numbers, especially for Latinos

Fear of Deportation and Immigration Issues >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Economy, especially since if you were Latino you would know the US mistakenly deports legal US Citizens and the last thing they need is US laws that make that easier

Wow context is everything, in April 2008 Hilary and Obama were fighting it out to be the Democratic nominee the first Non-Bush election. A Woman and a Minority compared to Robot Romney, yup same thing

But yeah 2012 is the same thing

Watch that number when we get to September and it will rise

And I know PD is doing his usual schtick but LOL at using black and latino unemployment numbers, especially for Latinos

Fear of Deportation and Immigration Issues >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Economy, especially since if you were Latino you would know the US mistakenly deports legal US Citizens and the last thing they need is US laws that make that easier

Obama was deporting people at record numbers until he went into campaign mode...

Dram

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705396842/Love-would-take-apart-Congressional-Black-Caucus-if-elected-in-Utahs-4th-District.html

Mia Love would 'take apart' Congressional Black Caucus if elected in Utah's 4th District

The conservative first-term mayor formally launched her bid for Congress on Thursday in Mrs. Gorham's third-grade classroom at Saratoga Shores Elementary School.

If elected in November, Love would be the first black Republican woman in Congress and Utah's first black representative. She said she would join the Congressional Black Caucus in Washington, D.C., should she win.

"Yes, yes. I would join the Congressional Black Caucus and try to take that thing apart from the inside out," she said.

Though officially nonpartisan, the caucus has been more closely identified with the Democratic Party.

"It’s demagoguery. They sit there and ignite emotions and ignite racism when there isn’t," Love said. "They use their positions to instill fear. Hope and change is turned into fear and blame. Fear that everybody is going lose everything and blaming Congress for everything instead of taking responsibility."

The caucus isn't the only thing Love said she would dismantle in Washington. The departments of education and energy must go, she said. States, she said, should take back those duties along with health care.

Love, a married mother of three, said she chose a school to kickoff her campaign because she wants to help children achieve their dreams.

"I will not stand by and leave a legacy of debt and dependency," she said. "I am here to tell the children in this community, the children in this state, the children in this country, you will have a voice in Washington."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Mittens needs to realize that no one's saying he should be ashamed that he was born into a wealthy family. But rather, for fuck's sake, at least PRETEND that you understand that not everyone had the same luxury, and thus had a harder opportunity to advance/succeed in life.

And by the way, isn't Obama a millionaire too? When Romney says that Obama hates the successful, does that mean Obama's a self hating richie?

Are we just ignoring 07/08 when Obama skated through the primaries as the media savaged Hillary, and later when Obama received dominating coverage over McCain in the general? Cry me a river

C'mon son. For the last 20 years all Republicans have talked about is the left wing liberal media, and how it's ruining america and pushing the republicans out. Anybody who has ANY sense would realize what a load of shit that is.

Hell, just the other day you had Newt going at Fox News because he was upset he didn't get ENOUGH coverage. This, from the same guy who helped start "TEH LIBERUL MEDIA" battle cry with Rush Limbaugh back in the 90's.

Anytime you have any news outlet call out people on their shit, if the people getting called out are republicans, the first shit that comes out is that the liberal media is trying to pull a gotcha moment, or whatever the fuck. Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh are the PRIME examples of this shit. Got asked a tough question because you said something stupid? It's the liberal media trying to take a swing at you.

That's how it goes down.

ToxicAdam

There isn't much Romney can do. Obama has been carving out the middle for the past 2-3 years (post-Scott Brown) and the people have noticed. Romney still has little merit among the far right. So, he can't run to the middle and win back those voters and he won't be able to whip up the Southern-Western conservative base to offset it. Then there's the demographic problems the party has with women and Latinos.

At this point, I'd say we are looking at a similar result as 2008 with maybe a little Obama backlash that will make the EV count a little bit closer.

eznark

Banned
President Romney's a shoo-in, right PD? He'll probably win pennsylvania because he's so MODERATE.

I have a terribly short memory, is a 4 point lead (looking at the TPM average) by an incumbent president prior to conventions something to crow about?

For reference, in the latest TPM poll, Walker has a 4 point lead over Barrett and reaches 50%. Do you feel pretty confident that Walker will win?

I have a terribly short memory, is a 4 point lead (looking at the TPM average) by an incumbent president prior to conventions something to crow about?

For reference, in the latest TPM poll, Walker has a 4 point lead over Barrett and reaches 50%. Do you feel pretty confident that Walker will win?

Haha while I'm pretty skeptical of Barret pulling it off, I feel it is worth mentioning that due to it being a non-traditional election that it's a whole different ball game that is much harder to predict.

eznark

Banned
Haha while I'm pretty skeptical of Barret pulling it off, I feel it is worth mentioning that due to it being a non-traditional election that it's a whole different ball game that is much harder to predict.

My prediction at this point is that both Obama and Walker increase their margins of victory. (percentage point wise, I think Obama will get fewer electoral votes this time around though).

My prediction at this point is that both Obama and Walker increase their margins of victory. (percentage point wise, I think Obama will get fewer electoral votes this time around though).

I don't know. The number of recall signatures collected was staggering. If that many people show up* to vote against Governor Walker then he is finished. How much does signing the petition correllate with voting though? I'd think it would increase chances. If that is the case is the polling following an incorrect model, one that doesn't factor in the effects of people signing a recall petition on voter liklihood?

If you were to ask me, though, I'd give the edge to Governor Walker as the polling suggests... but if it turns out the other way I wouldn't be very suprised.

* Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say that less people show up to vote against Governor Walker than signed the petition. They were out on every street corner, even in very pro-Walker territory (I'm in Brookfield now). No way that every person who signed one votes... I just hypothesise that it increases the liklihood of a person voting.

eznark

Banned
I don't know. The number of recall signatures collected was staggering. If that many people show up* to vote against Governor Walker then he is finished. How much does signing the petition correllate with voting though? I'd think it would increase chances. If that is the case is the polling following an incorrect model, one that doesn't factor in the effects of people signing a recall petition on voter liklihood?

If you were to ask me, though, I'd give the edge to Governor Walker as the polling suggests... but if it turns out the other way I wouldn't be very suprised.

* Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say that less people show up to vote against Governor Walker than signed the petition. They were out on every street corner, even in very pro-Walker territory (I'm in Brookfield now). No way that every person who signed one votes... I just hypothesise that it increases the liklihood of a person voting.

If Prosser had lost I'd give Barrett a chance. He didn't, so I don't see it happening. I think if the election had been two months ago, Walker would probably be in trouble, but at this point there just haven't been any catastrophic effects as a result of Act 10 that people were claiming would happen. It doesn't look like Act 10 will even be a campaign issue one Falk bails.

I kind of hope Walker loses though, so that the GOP can start the Recall Barrett wave. Perpetual recalls. That would be excellent.

I think more people will vote than signed the recall. Barrett got around 1 million votes last time. The recall effort turned in not quite a million and it's probably safe to say 10% of those aren't real. So 900,000 people signed the petition. I would imagine that the recall vote will have close to similar turnout as the 2010 election, so he should get about one million again.

GhaleonEB

There isn't much Romney can do. Obama has been carving out the middle for the past 2-3 years (post-Scott Brown) and the people have noticed. Romney still has little merit among the far right. So, he can't run to the middle and win back those voters and he won't be able to whip up the Southern-Western conservative base to offset it. Then there's the demographic problems the party has with women and Latinos.

At this point, I'd say we are looking at a similar result as 2008 with maybe a little Obama backlash that will make the EV count a little bit closer.

I agree, though with the added note that Romney's primary cost him a great deal. The race was just long enough that enough people tuned in while he was at his worst and formed opinions based on the last stages of the race, cratering his favorables.

TPM had a good piece today noting how the Hispanic vote isn't really up for grabs - it's already solidified around Obama. I suspect that's going to prove to be the case for the demographics that are key to Obama's reelection.
Why does it seem like every republican wants to dismantle the department of energy and education?

An uneducated populace, and a country with gutted energy regulations? Sounds like GOP heaven.

I just don't see that working, given the horrific unemployment rates among young people - most of whom were crazy about Obama four years ago; how did that work out. Black and Hispanic unemployment rates are quite high as well.

Many people are truly struggling and have no idea the economy is "getting better." It's not surprising why the groups that propelled Obama to victory won't be nearly as enthused for four more years of the same

Why do you focus on one metric to tell your story and completely ignore the one that actually matters: growth? Ezra has a calculator this morning that test the likelihood of Obama winning with using the two stats that matter: GDP growth and his approval rating. Even with a low growth rate of 2.0 and an approval rating of 40%, Obama has a 2:1 odds of winning.

Did you know that Bush won in 2004 with a 46% approval rating and 1.4 GDP growth? Take a look at the past winners at the bottom: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/2012-election-predictor/

Edit: His father lost with 38% approval rating (People punish those that break pledges: "Read my lips.") and 2.1 GDP growth. He also was going up against Clinton who Romney is definitely not.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why does it seem like every republican wants to dismantle the department of energy and education?

Some of them actually do, and the rest went full retard a couple of years ago and now say stuff like, !'when I get elected I will go to Washington and dismantle the whole thing so we can live by our wits and our guns.' Even Romney is running to be in charge of the big government on an 'I will destroy the big government' platform.

Kosmo

Banned
Why do you focus on one metric to tell your story and completely ignore the one that actually matters: growth? Ezra has a calculator this morning that test the likelihood of Obama winning with using the two stats that matter: GDP growth and his approval rating. Even with a low growth rate of 2.0 and an approval rating of 40%, Obama has a 2:1 odds of winning.

Did you know that Bush won in 2004 with a 46% approval rating and 1.4 GDP growth? Take a look at the past winners at the bottom: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/2012-election-predictor/

I suppose because the general electorate localizes politics - they don't care if GDP is growing or if the unemployment rate went from 8.3 to 8.2 percent in the last 6 months - they care if they have a job. In 2004, despite your statistics, unemployment was at 5.5% and heading lower. Nobody is going to sit there and think "Well, I know I don't have a job, but GDP is heading up and that's enough to get me to vote for Obama!"

GhaleonEB

I suppose because the general electorate localizes politics - they don't care if GDP is growing or if the unemployment rate went from 8.3 to 8.2 percent in the last 6 months - they care if they have a job. In 2004, despite your statistics, unemployment was at 5.5% and heading lower. Nobody is going to sit there and think "Well, I know I don't have a job, but GDP is heading up and that's enough to get me to vote for Obama!"

It's well established that the level of unemployment is much less predictive of election outcomes as the direction it's moving in, and the speed it's doing so. I would rather they use average monthly job gains, but there's a fairly tight relationship between GDP growth and employment gains/losses.

2% GDP and 46% approval for Obama yields a an 83.1% likelihood he is reelected on the calculator, which feels about right.

And where is unemployment going now? Here is google where you can look at individual states, especially the ones that are toss ups: http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=country:US&fdim_y=seasonality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=unemployment_rate&fdim_y=seasonality:S&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=state:ST080000:ST190000:ST550000:ST510000:ST420000:ST330000:ST390000&ifdim=country&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false
Show me a map where Romney wins the election while losing both Virginia and Ohio.

Edit: Ghal already mention this, but the statisticians already ran the numbers and found that growth in GDP has a greater correlation to winners and losers of presidential elections than unemployment rate itself. Also, when one goes down the other typically follows.

Edit: His father lost with 38% approval rating (People punish those that break pledges: "Read my lips.") and 2.1 GDP growth. He also was going up against Clinton who Romney is definitely not.
If you're not careful, Pangloss, PD will add you to the Dax/Aaron Strife Overly-Optimistic-of-Obama's-Chances Group.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the link, I'll keep that handy.

I like this graph from Calculated Risk because it ranks the states by unemployment rate, and also shows how much improvement each state is seeing.

StateUnemployMar2012.jpg

Look at Michigan.

Tim-E

Thanks for the link, I'll keep that handy.

I like this graph from Calculated Risk because it ranks the states by unemployment rate, and also shows how much improvement each state is seeing.

StateUnemployMar2012.jpg

Look at Michigan.

lol and some people still pretend that Michigan is a swing state.

An uneducated populace, and a country with gutted energy regulations? Sounds like GOP heaven.

A lot of people in West Virginia think the EPA should no longer exist because they're actually doing their job here.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Doesn't Romney have a cousin that was born in Michigan? That surely means he's the favorite there.

A four point lead for Obama by all measures would still give him a EV landslide over Romney (here classified as over 300 EVs).

Walker will still lose btw. I won't bet on it though simply because I don't want to become a desperate shill like PD.

I'm starting to think Walker might not lose (but that it doesn't actually matter because the State Senate's going to swing back to the Dems anyway)

e: Also with the formula Klein (and by extension Dr. Pangloss) posted, Obama wins 77% of the time with GDP growth of +1% and an average approval rating of 49% (where he currently sits without Rasmussen included). Any further improvement on either front and we're probably starting to look at Clinton 1996-type numbers.

A four point lead for Obama by all measures would still give him a EV landslide over Romney (here classified as over 300 EVs).

Walker will still lose btw. I won't bet on it though simply because I don't want to become a desperate shill like PD.

Ha

Walker looks pretty solid in the polling I've seen, and despite liberal's best intentions to smear Wisconsin's economic state, they still have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

eznark

Banned

Just like he did in 2010. And just like Prosser. Your skills at prognostication are far too heavily influenced by your emotions.

He might lose, but your track record on Wisconsin elections is dismal.

I'm starting to think Walker might not lose (but that it doesn't actually matter because the State Senate's going to swing back to the Dems anyway)

For real purposes, the elections is meaningless unless Falk wins. Walker doesn't have much left to accomplish (though it would obviously end his political career for awhile) and Barrett doesn't have the backbone to freeze state government over Act 10.

As long as Falk loses, nothing Walker has done will be undone.

and despite liberal's best intentions to smear Wisconsin's economic state

You mean like how they were the only state to lose jobs in 2011? That's... not exactly a smear.

For real purposes, the elections is meaningless unless Falk wins. Walker doesn't have much left to accomplish (though it would obviously end his political career for awhile) and Barrett doesn't have the backbone to freeze state government over Act 10.

As long as Falk loses, nothing Walker has done will be undone.

I basically agree with you completely, at least regarding the gubernatorial recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom