• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh by the way. That Dallas hospital that failed to screen that one guy for Ebola properly, was that a public or private hospital?

Diablos

As soon as I knew that Obama had won and that he'd be doing the nominating in the event of a vacancy, I was able to relax on whatever she chose to do.. at least for a few years.

(And the Big Brother reference was to the cheesy reality TV show. If a contestant wasn't being nominated to be kicked off the show, they were usually told in a quiet/calm/solemn manner, "You are safe.")

---

And my comment earlier about how it seems like the 5th Circuit is deliberately taking its sweet-ass time on a gay marriage ruling? My hunch is stronger now..
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...upreme-court-gay-marriage-what-next/16813325/
Oh hahaha. Nice.
I thought maybe something like the ACA was helping someone personally in your life.

Oblivion

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
:O

Okay, thought that was the case.

Now that we've established that, why is the CDC getting all the flack for someone fudging things up that hospital?

Are they? I've only seen people upset at the hospital and local officials over the handling of this case. I don't watch cable news, though.

Wilsongt

:O

Okay, thought that was the case.

Now that we've established that, why is the CDC getting all the flack for someone fudging things up that hospital?

They need a scapegoat that involves the Federal government in some way because it's Texas. You know, the state that can do no wrong or some shit?

Oblivion

Are they? I've only seen people upset at the hospital and local officials over the handling of this case. I don't watch cable news, though.

Yes, they are. And yes it's on cable news, talk radio, and even on the major broadcast networks.

Thats the first time I saw that skeet shooting ad from Grimes and I must say she looked pretty hot.

No wonder Susa saw a 6 point swing after that ad.

Meanwhile in actual polling news, Perdue is up 5.

I thought she could have beaten Kingston but Perdue is too solid.

As much as I hate to say it, some states are just a lost cause.

Nunn and Carter are both great candidates, but I don't think they have a chance at all.

Retro

I got to witness that train wreck at a much closer distance than is comfortable. My current home state's lame political claim to fame (it's not like anyone else from Delaware has achieved any kind of higher office, right?)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seeing some people point out that the CBO will be affected by a change in senate leadership, since the CBO director can be replaced at any time and is selected jointly by the speaker of the house and the president pro tempore of the senate.

That means you can be pretty sure we're going to see a lot of Paul Ryan math of assuming every Republican policy is so good for the economy that everything they propose will pay for itself.

That's pretty significant considering the extremely harsh budget battles that would be sure to come with a Republican senate.

benjipwns

Banned
Elemendorf has three years left on his term, though, yes, the House and Senate could remove him. Though this has not to my memory ever happened. Crippen just wasn't offered re-appointment when his term was up. Most everyone else has bailed for a better job. (Peter Orszag being the last CBO Director for example.)

And he's been pretty open about the problems of debt and deficits so he's not exactly Paul Krugman.

benjipwns

Banned
There's nothing to fear, it's not like they're going to do anything.

Meanwhile we have states legalizing marijuana, moving into gay marriage, a few might start cracking down on police militarization, etc.

And if the ACA is your thing it's not like they'll be doing anything to stop its continued roll out.

And if say Ginsberg dies, it doesn't change the fact that there's already 5 conservative lean votes, and Hillary + more favorable Congress can appoint someone Communist in 2017. Heck, Kennedy might get grumpy and stop voting with the other four as much.

Diablos

And if say Ginsberg dies, it doesn't change the fact that there's already 5 conservative lean votes, and Hillary + more favorable Congress can appoint someone Communist in 2017. Heck, Kennedy might get grumpy and stop voting with the other four as much.
You're assuming Hillary wins.

I'm still seeing them (the Clintons) projecting an eerie confidence circa 2007 and it doesn't sit well with me. I'm more worried about that than the Senate as I can at least rest assured knowing Dems outperformed expectations in holding their majority since 2008.

benjipwns

Banned
Hillary didn't have these kind of numbers in 2006. Primaries, head to heads, fav/unfav, etc.

As long as Obama keeps the lid on what really happened at Benghazi...

HylianTom

Banned
I really think folks (talking in general, not PoliGAF) are underestimating what her presence on the ballot is going to do to the gender gap. Just a hunch.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the GOP realized they're in trouble in the Tillis/Hagan race. I have been absolutely pummeled with Tillis ads the past week. Now they're even showing up on GAF, dammit.

Guess they're message of "Kay Hagan was instrumental in Obamacare passing and yet, what has she actually done?" isn't resonating the way they wanted.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
BzWsFicCcAE8MpN.jpg:large

I like how Washington Post is more percentage points away from Nate Silver's prediction than Sam Wang is, yet Nate Silver continues to focus all his attention on Sam Wang.

AntoneM

David Perdue proud of outsourcing jobs... job losses due to "big gubment".

"Defend it? I'm proud of it," he said in a press stop at The White House restaurant in Buckhead. "This is a part of American business, part of any business. Outsourcing is the procurement of products and services to help your business run. People do that all day." [...]

In remarks Monday, he attempted to draw a line between his business decisions and Washington policies. "I think the issue that people get confused about is the loss of jobs," he said. "This is because of bad government policies: tax policy, regulation, even compliance requirements."

Is this not literally some twisted form of newspeak where the government is the enemy?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/gop-senate-candidate-proud-career-outsourcing

HylianTom

Banned
Women are awesome.
Abso-friggin'-loutely.

And speaking of women.. the volunteers groups this week have hit New Orleans hard with Mary Landrieu signage. They had volunteers at the SuperDome on Sunday, and they had sign-wavers on St Charles yesterday during rush hour.

Makes me wish that her brother's re-election campaign had been tighter; there might've been some leftover GOTV machinery of his left around town if he'd had a tougher challenger.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Elemendorf has three years left on his term, though, yes, the House and Senate could remove him. Though this has not to my memory ever happened. Crippen just wasn't offered re-appointment when his term was up. Most everyone else has bailed for a better job. (Peter Orszag being the last CBO Director for example.)

And he's been pretty open about the problems of debt and deficits so he's not exactly Paul Krugman.

Yeah, Elemendorf has been pretty good about being non-partisan, and it's not really that crazy to want debts to be back to a percentage of gdp that's more inline with where it's been historically.

Also note that when republicans got both chambers in 1995 and democrats got both chambers in 2007, CBO director happened to change within the first few months of the year. I'm guessing that's not a coincidence.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Here's an interesting read: Biskupic Scoop on Sotomayor in Fisher v. Texas, and Connection to Schuette

Biskupic describes an “unusually long nine-month set of negotiations” for the case, which explains the inordinate delay for Fisher, which was argued at the beginning of October.

In the University of Texas case, it initially looked like a 5– 3 lineup. The five conservatives, including Justice Kennedy, wanted to rule against the Texas policy and limit the ability of other universities to use the kinds of admissions programs upheld in Grutter v. Bollinger. The three liberals were ready to dissent. Yet that division would not hold. The case would go down to the wire, unresolved until the final week of the Court term in late June. The deliberations among the eight (Justice Kagan did not participate in any of the negotiations) took place over a series of draft opinions, transmitted from computer to computer but also delivered in hard copies by messengers from chamber to chamber as was the long-standing practice.

Nina Totenberg summarizes the scoop:

But, as Biskupic’s book tells us, with a significant scoop, Sotomayor’s passion can be effective too, as it was two years ago when the issue was affirmative action in higher education — the very system that initially boosted her from the tenements of the Bronx to the elite Ivy League, and eventually, to the top of the legal profession. The case, which involved the University of Texas affirmative action program, was argued in early October of 2012 but was not decided until late June of 2013. Biskupic reports that it was Sotomayor’s scorching dissent, that turned the tide.

“She was furious about where the majority of her colleagues were and what they were going to do in terms of rolling back affirmative action. So she writes this dissent, circulated privately, and it gets the attention of her colleagues” who were “skittish” about the case to begin with. Behind the scenes, inside the court, writes Biskupic, tense negotiations ensued for nine months, with individual justices assuming critical roles. “Among them, Sotomayor as agitator, Stephen Breyer as broker, and Kennedy as compromiser.” In the end, the conservatives backed away; the University of Texas affirmative action policy was allowed to stand, at least for the near future; “and there is no public sign of what Sotomayor had wrought.”

Indeed, Sotomayor signed on to the court’s 7-to-1 opinion, without a public peep. Evidence that she can be a team player, and a discreet one.

In other news, National Review's Ed Whelan agrees with Black Mamba on the significance of yesterday's cert. denials in the same-sex marriage cases:

One or more of the three conservative justices who might most be expected to object to denial—that is, Scalia, Thomas, or Alito—instead concluded that denial was the best course. Why? Because that justice (or those justices) became convinced that Kennedy was beyond persuasion and that he was a certain fifth vote to invent a constitutional right to same-sex marriage. On that understanding, the least-worst option would be to deny review and thus (for the time being, at least) prevent the Supreme Court from placing its formal imprimatur on the developments below.

I think that this is the only theory that adequately explains why none of these three justices publicly registered a dissent. In particular, I don’t think that a competing theory—that the Chief Justice voted to deny but that Scalia, Thomas, and Alito all voted to grant—can explain the absence of a public dissent.

I don’t think that there’s any difficulty explaining why the four liberals would go along with the denial. Even if they’re equally confident of Kennedy, it’s much easier from their perspective to let the lower courts do the spadework and to intervene only if and when a court rules against a constitutional SSM right.

Wilsongt

Despite the doom and gloom of the Dems losing the Senate in this fall, which they will, the bitter, salty tears of the right wing when it comes to their loss against gay marriage is just so refreshing.

Ted Cruz's meltdown was already posted.

But, here's more!

“When Congress returns to session, I will be introducing a constitutional amendment to prevent the federal government or the courts from attacking or striking down state marriage laws,” Cruz said. “Traditional marriage is an institution whose integrity and vitality are critical to the health of any society. We should remain faithful to our moral heritage and never hesitate to defend it.”

Is that it?

Seems like it.

I guess they took the easy way out.

I just listened to the clip. Sounds like by the time they get around to it the SSM debate will already be decided by the country. They will be forced to hear the case when a circuit happens to side our way but by then they will overturn all bans not overturned already. Cowards.

I knew this was inevitable but it is still shocking to see it happen.

We should not be surprised by this. By not taking up this case the court condones SS marriage.
Just another nail in this Nation's coffin.

It's been over 24 hours since gay marriage took over five more states. What natural disaster has occurred since then?

gop_tears.jpg

so is the reason why we are concerned about isis is because they potentially threaten our reach for oil and power in the middle east but we don't really care about the drug trade or organised crime in mexico because that actually makes gets us money and power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom