• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay,

Bad Nate's model just moved 2 points towards Trump due to the following polls:

NC +4
VA+12
IA (tie) (that they adjust to +1
GA-1 (adjusted to a tie)

National +5

And then one of those Remington polls showing Trump ahead by 10 in MO.

THIS IS STUPID.

I think the Iowa poll hurts her.

Defend this crabbu!!! You nate mills-Morris lover.

Joeytj

Banned
Okay,

NC +4
VA+12
GA-1 (adjusted to a tie)

National +5

THIS IS STUPID.

You have to be kidding me?

EDIT: Nope.

How is that Iowa poll hurting her when Q has a big Trump lean? Even Harry Enten just tweeted that these are terrible polls for Trump, but his boss disagrees, I guess.

Zukkoyaki

You have to be kidding me?

EDIT: Nope.

How is that Iowa poll hurting her when Q has a big Trump lean? Even Harry Enten just tweeted that these are terrible polls for Trump, but his boss disagrees, I guess.

It was only a drop of 1.2% but how anyone could look at those poll numbers and think they hurt Clinton's chances is beyond me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How do we feel about Ohio? I feel like women will turn it blue, but I've got nothing to base that on.

this is just anecdotal but my one of my coworkers is voting trump and his girlfriend(wife to be) cant stand him. i havent asked if she is voting for Hillary but i refuse to believe suburban women will vote for him.

he is doing well in youngstown and other bluedog democrat cities so he can probably sneak in a win here, but i think it will be close either way. i want to believe that the student vote, women vote and black vote will be enough but most of the men at my company have no problems admitting they are trump supporters. and these are college educated men.

NeoXChaos

For the race to be called before 11pm est, Hillary needs to carry FL, NC, OH, IA and NV before 11. It's possible. I think the media might hold back even if it's looking like she'll carry them all before then. The AP might, but CNN would.

Still won't get her there before 11:00 EST. She will need NE-2 which will close 2 hours before 11:00 EST at 9:00 EST or GA which will close 4 hours before 11:00 EST at 7:00 EST or Arizona which will close 1 hour before 11:00 EST at 10:00 EST.

*IA and NV close at 10:00 EST

7xve9.png

So I was reading the election results on free republic and they were saying things like "america is lost" and "america is done" etc. Kind of similar to talk I've heard from republicans like Marco Rubio saying that this election will decide what america will be, and that we'll lose our "republican values" forever if the democrats win.

Is this kind of rhetoric something that always is repeated in election years? Even when stuff like the supreme court isn't in play like this year? Is every election "The most important election of our lifetime" for some people?

GhaleonEB

Okay,

NC +4
VA+12
GA-1 (adjusted to a tie)

National +5

THIS IS STUPID.
The article they did recently about their models made me realize they can be discounted completely, relative to others. The transparency was nice; I haven't looked at it since then.

Assumption No. 2: The FiveThirtyEight model is calibrated based on general elections since 1972.

What if we changed this assumption? If we calibrated the model based on presidential elections since 2000 only — which have featured largely accurate polling — Clinton’s chances would rise to 95 percent, and Trump’s would fall to 5 percent.
Derp.

HTupolev

Still won't get her there before 11:00 EST. She will need NE-2 which will close 2 hours before 11:00 EST at 9:00 EST or GA which will close 4 hours before 11:00 EST at 7:00 EST or Arizona which will close 1 hour before 11:00 EST at 10:00 EST.

*IA and NV close at 10:00 EST

7xve9.png
Yeah, but can you imagine how awesome it would be if, late at night, people are all "Clinton only has 269 electoral votes, the decision could still get passed to GOP Congress if we manage to get Washington, Oregon, and California!"

Grief.exe

Yeah, but can you imagine how awesome it would be if, late at night, people are all "Clinton only has 269 electoral votes, the decision could still get passed to GOP Congress if we manage to get Washington, Oregon, and California!"

@billmitchell

Follow up tweet from him is showing low black turn-out in VA as well:

@Redistrict
VA: early vote is at only 36% of '12 total in Newport News, 37% in Norfolk, 37% in Petersburg, 28% in Portsmouth. Low AA enthusiasm.

They're all living in hell with no education, what do you expect?

Okay,

NC +4
VA+12
GA-1 (adjusted to a tie)

National +5

THIS IS STUPID.

Alternatively, Hillary just gained a % in the Upshot model.

Okay,

NC +4
VA+12
GA-1 (adjusted to a tie)

National +5

THIS IS STUPID.

Right, and he just had an article stating that the polls ARE NOT tightening, and those who say they are tightening are cherry picking. Then his model drops 4 percent or so based on nothing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why does that mean they should be discounted completely? Is 2000 the appropriate starting point or later?

I think Ghaleon means the difference compared to others can be discounted in the sense that: all the statisticians seem to agree about where the race is now, they just disagree about how much things can reasonably vary from this point. It'd be more worrying if they had a fundamental disagreement about the present state of the race, but they don't really.

At least, I think that's the sensible way to read it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I can't figure out anything with regard to polling until I hear from Dick Morris.

Zukkoyaki

I think Ghaleon means the difference compared to others can be discounted in the sense that: all the statisticians seem to agree about where the race is now, they just disagree about how much things can reasonably vary from this point. It'd be more worrying if they had a fundamental disagreement about the present state of the race, but they don't really.

I believe you are spot on. I've seen Silver, Cohn, Enten and others all refer to this as about a 6-7 point race.

Right, and he just had an article stating that the polls ARE NOT tightening, and those who say they are tightening are cherry picking. Then his model drops 4 percent or so based on nothing.

He had an article saying he was not going to take a stance either way.

Do you guys seriously think he's putting his hands on the balance? That this isn't just an accident of the math? Be real.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

I think it is too. This place is so against Nate Silver I assume most criticisms are exaggerated.

Teggy

36% of 2012 total - how can you call that "low" without the corresponding total from this point in time in 2012? All you can say is that it is "lower" than the current white and Hispanic returns.

Emarv

It's sad, because I honestly like just about all of the other 538 staff except for Nate. It'd be curious if Enten ends up jumping ship and working with Cohn or somewhere.

It's sad, because I honestly like just about all of the other 538 staff except for Nate. It'd be curious if Enten ends up jumping ship and working with Cohn or somewhere.

I actually think 538's biggest issue is the writers they've hired. Enten is the only decent one they have in politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom