• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just dawned on me that these two have been bitter enemies for the whole election but haven't met face to face in it yet. The Wrath of Khan indeed!

teiresias

tZ69opJ.jpg

D8EHws5.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 4m4 minutes ago
Trump: "[Clinton] supports open borders that violate the civil rights of African-Americans by giving their jobs to people here unlawfully."

That's classic Trump. The fact he thinks this will work is cute.

Joeytj

Banned
Trump: "[Clinton] supports open borders that violate the civil rights of African-Americans by giving their jobs to people here unlawfully."

Holy shit. He forgot to add "and then she's also bringing Muslims to kill African-Americans people and even Latinos, but Latinos are also taking jobs from African Americans so how about you all just attack each other?"

"These low paying no benefit jobs shouldn't belong to hispanics, they should belong to you!"

Vestal

Gold Member

Off course because the only jobs that African-Americans can obtain are low paying shit jobs.

Just drop the charade and drop the N-bomb while you are at it. You are speaking to them in those fucking terms.

PIVOT!

User1608

Banned
Trying to turn us against each other won't work, Donald.

You are racist. Racist. Racist. And so are the great majority of your supporters.

Emarv

Whoever Trump's new speechwriter is lately deserves some credit. They've finally found a way to get decently effective political attacks that somehow still sound like they've come out of Trump's dumb brain.

I know we like to kid

But I really think this pivot is a thing

This is not a pivot. Like, it's not. I mean, I get the idea that we should stay vigilant. This is Breitbart talking right now, with a teaspoon of PC added to the mix.

If Trump's play is to get back college educated whites, this isn't the way to do it. They're not refusing to vote for him because he's a racist. It's because he's unqualified. White people will happily support a racist if it doesnt' hurt them. Trump would hurt them. Ergo, this pivot is spinning in place.

PBY

Banned
This is not a pivot. Like, it's not. I mean, I get the idea that we should stay vigilant. This is Breitbart talking right now, with a teaspoon of PC added to the mix.

If Trump's play is to get back college educated whites, this isn't the way to do it. They're not refusing to vote for him because he's a racist. It's because he's unqualified. White people will happily support a racist if it doesnt' hurt them. Trump would hurt them. Ergo, this pivot is spinning in place.
Well sure. He's still a piece of shit with racist trash policies. But his rhetoric is waaaaaaaaaay more disciplined. That's all I meant.

Oh my god.

"People who want to ban Muslim immigration are not Islamaphobes. They just want to prevent terrorism"

Please tell me I heard this wrong. PLEASE.

Owzers

Well sure. He's still a piece of shit with racist trash policies. But his rhetoric is waaaaaaaaaay more disciplined. That's all I meant.

More focused, concentrated ass instead of talking about a mosquito flying around his head or Megyn kelly.

TheFatOne

Oh I'm not sure it'll make a difference.

But his tone and his talking points are notably more refined and targeted.

It's just pure desperation. They finally got through to Trump and he realizes the ship is headed towards a catastrophic failure. For a man who has built his entire image on winning it would be devastating. Has no choice, but to try and make this pivot stick. Will most likely not last though.

PBY

Banned
Oh my god.

"People who want to ban Muslim immigration are not Islamaphobes. They just want to prevent terrorism"

Please tell me I heard this wrong. PLEASE.
Yeah

Trump in NH: "People who speak out against Radical Islam, and who warn about refugees, are not Islamophobes."

Telling U man, this is way more disciplined. He's dialed it back to dog whistles.

This is some of the most "I'm not racist you are" shit that I've ever seen. Ever. This is so fucking tone deaf in a million, billion ways.

And he just said minorities live in poverty, violence and fear.

Aren't we vetting the refugees we're taking in already?

Yes. Very heavily.

4 Things To Know About The Vetting Process For Syrian Refugees

1. Refugees are screened by several different agencies.

Their first point of a refugee's contact is with the U.N. High Commission for Refugees. The UNHCR refers people to countries based on whether they have any family members there and where resettlement makes the most sense, say U.S. officials. If that's the U.S., then refugees are vetted by the National Counterterrorism Center, the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center, and the Departments of State, Defense and Homeland Security. Fingerprints are taken, biographical information is collected. They are then each individually interviewed by U.S. officials trained to verify that they're bona fide refugees.

Refugees from Syria are then subject to additional screening that looks at where they came from and what caused them to flee their home, stories that are checked out. All of this occurs before a refugee is allowed to set foot in the country.

2. It's a lengthy process.

As you might imagine, all of the vetting, from interviews to fingerprinting, takes a while. On average, officials say it's 18 to 24 months before a refugee is approved for admission to the U.S.

The U.S. has admitted some 1,800 Syrian refugees in the past two years, and President Obama wants to allow 10,000 more. The administration says half of those who have been admitted are children and about a quarter of them are adults over 60. Officials say 2 percent are single males of combat age.

Yeah

Trump in NH: "People who speak out against Radical Islam, and who warn about refugees, are not Islamophobes."

Telling U man, this is way more disciplined. He's dialed it back to dog whistles.

A pivot is not saying the same things slightly nicer. It's expanding policies to bring more people in. It's changing from one policy to another. Putting lipstick on a pig don't mean it ain't a pig no more. And when pushed directly, Trump falls back immediately to the original language.

TRUMP JUST CRITICIZED PEOPLE FOR LIVING IN LAVISH PALACES.

Hazmat

Wow. He thinks that he's supporting the African American community with this, and that's what makes this fascinating and terrible, like a car crash. A racist car crash that insults most people who aren't white.

PBY

Banned
A pivot is not saying the same things slightly nicer. It's expanding policies to bring more people in. It's changing from one policy to another. Putting lipstick on a pig don't mean it ain't a pig no more. And when pushed directly, Trump falls back immediately to the original language.

TRUMP JUST CRITICIZED PEOPLE FOR LIVING IN LAVISH PALACES.
I think you have a slight blind spot on this one tbh - maybe it's not a pivot in the traditional sense, but it's definitely a tonal shift. This will not win over minorities, but is the same dog whistle shit that most Rs feel totally cool getting down with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom