• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 4m4 minutes ago
Trump: "[Clinton] supports open borders that violate the civil rights of African-Americans by giving their jobs to people here unlawfully."

Besides pitting minorities against each other, its pretty disgusting that he thinks the shittiest jobs are African-American jobs. I mean, that's what illegal immigrants do. They take the shittiest jobs.

I think you have a slight blind spot on this one tbh - maybe it's not a pivot in the traditional sense, but it's definitely a tonal shift. This will not win over minorities, but is the same dog whistle shit that most Rs feel totally cool getting down with.

I'm not arguing about a tonal shift. But, I don't think his tone is drastically changed......

WAIT I'LL GET BACK TO THAT

Trump just said that people of color could have a positive change in their lives for the first time ever.....

Anyway, a pivot requires more than just saying racist shit in a nicer way. It's not enough to go from overt racism to subtle racism and call it a pivot....especially when in the last 36 hours he's taken every position on immigration possible.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Besides pitting minorities against each other, its pretty disgusting that he thinks the shittiest jobs are African-American jobs. I mean, that's what illegal immigrants do. They take the shittiest jobs.

I love when people reveal how they think without them consciously intending to.

I'm just gonna leave this here

3yXnEEu.png

PBY

Banned
I'm not arguing about a tonal shift. But, I don't think his tone is drastically changed......

WAIT I'LL GET BACK TO THAT

Trump just said that people of color could have a positive change in their lives for the first time ever.....

Anyway, a pivot requires more than just saying racist shit in a nicer way. It's not enough to go from overt racism to subtle racism and call it a pivot....especially when in the last 36 hours he's taken every position on immigration possible.
I'm mostly in agreement with you, but saying racist shyt in a nice way is a mainstream GOP staple

Debirudog

Wasn't there a republican-led bill (with democrats...) that tried to make the vetting process even more harsh and strict than it already it was when Obama wanted 1000 more refugees, which mostly consisted of children. What they were doing, seemed beyond stupid and pointless.

Sopan Deb ‏@SopanDeb 2m2 minutes ago
Trump says African-Americans and Hispanics "are going to have the time of their life" under his administration.

Emarv

I've convinced myself into believing this pivot is Bannon's work. More than any of his other advisors, I can picture Bannon saying "Shut the fuck up and read this stuff" and Trump responding to it. Kellyanne then tells him what to go after and that's that. Bannon is a nationalist, but a smart, probably diabolical one who doesn't want to look like a fool.

Our best bet for Trump gaffes will only come from interviews now. Probably way less ones in speeches. (Cue speech gaffe now that I've said this)

I think you have a slight blind spot on this one tbh - maybe it's not a pivot in the traditional sense, but it's definitely a tonal shift. This will not win over minorities, but is the same dog whistle shit that most Rs feel totally cool getting down with.

Eh, I'm waiting until the debates to really see if he 'pivoted'. He won't have a teleprompter to save him and I would bet heavily he is going to slip up and say something stupid.

I'm mostly in agreement with you, but saying racist shyt in a nice way is a mainstream GOP staple

Right, but I guess my point is it's possible to pivot from subtle, implied racism to no racism. I don't think you can pivot from what Trump has said and done. It's the only thing his campaign has going for it. He's built on white nationalism and you can't unfuck that chicken.

royalan

This is not a pivot. Like, it's not. I mean, I get the idea that we should stay vigilant. This is Breitbart talking right now, with a teaspoon of PC added to the mix.

If Trump's play is to get back college educated whites, this isn't the way to do it. They're not refusing to vote for him because he's a racist. It's because he's unqualified. White people will happily support a racist if it doesnt' hurt them. Trump would hurt them. Ergo, this pivot is spinning in place.

At this point, I think this is Trump's pivot. It's not about winning the election anymore. It's about still staying "Trump" but not literally shoving a shit covered foot in his mouth every week so that his candidacy remains intact enough to cash in on it AFTER Nov 8. Alex Wagner made this point on Keeping It 1600 and I completely agree.

Trump doesn't need another person to vote for him. He just needs to maintain the perception of trying to win.

Dierce

I've convinced myself into believing this pivot is Bannon's work. More than any of his other advisors, I can picture Bannon saying "Shut the fuck up and read this stuff" and Trump responding to it. Kellyanne then tells him what to go after and that's that. Bannon is a nationalist, but a smart, probably diabolical one who doesn't want to look like a fool.

Our best bet for Trump gaffes will only come from interviews now. Probably way less ones in speeches. (Cue speech gaffe now that I've said this)

This 'pivot' is really insulting. It is targeted towards the uninformed but reading between the lines he is still actively insulting minorities with his projections and insinuations. This is still appealing to bigotry and hatred.

Boke1879

The man still is talking about banning a group of people based on their religious beliefs. You can't pivot or say that nicely.

PBY I get what you're saying. Trump hasn't run across the stage naked screaming every slur in the world so it seems like he's this new candidate (he's not).

Sure he's attempting to pivot but I don't think you can do that with like 2 months left of this election. The pivot should have happened after the primaries or at least at the RNC. Trump isn't trying to court minority voters. He's trying to get those people who won't vote for him because they perceive him as a racist.

Thing is those people still won't vote for him because they believe he's largely unqualified. He's not talking any policy .

tbm24

What do he think we are?
I just love that he says YOU and YOUR as if all minorities live in bunched together and go through the same difficulties. I don't blame him, most racists tend to think this, but its amazing that he gets away with it aside certain media pundits who point it out.

Emarv

This 'pivot' is really insulting. It is targeted towards the uninformed but reading between the lines he is still actively insulting minorities with his projections and insinuations. This is still appealing to bigotry and hatred.
Exactly. That's why I think it's Bannon. It's coded language that both belittles the intelligence of minorities and tries to incite tension between those minority groups. That's the kind of shit I'd expect from someone like Bannon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just heard the opening to Hannity's show. Was there some new commercial about white supremacy support of Trump? Because Lumpy sounds pissed and Im sure it's just a matter of time before he goes into the "Democrats founded the KKK" thing.

TheFatOne

Hilarious how Trumps camp is trying to push back against this stuff. When you hire Bannon this stuff immediately becomes fair game. Shouldn't have hired that piece of shit if you didn't want to be called a racist or you know not spout racist bullshit. Trumps camp knows he's in deep looking like a racist, and now Clinton is going to take advantage of the alt right link. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom