• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like the more likely read. That being said, if they're aware of something big coming down the pipeline, shouldn't we have heard Trump trying to downplay by now? Trump Jr's news was signaled almost a month out. Maybe Trump's administration isn't linked in as well as it used to be?

They're probably busy dealing with Harvey. I'd also imagine a lot of their pre-emptive responses are meant to address multiple things. Remember they've been banging the "collusion isn't illegal" drum for quite some time, leading up to the Don Jr news but surely the same argument would apply to any other case of collusion we don't know about yet.

Discussions on "We're not ready for X type of president (aka the woman president discussion)" always bum me out.

Imagine if Obama had lost his race in 2008. You'd have a bunch of people come out of the woodwork to say we shouldn't even entertain the idea of a minority president ever again.

Edit: Maybe they bum me out because the only thing I can think to hold onto is that we SHOULD try again, or at least, still let it happen if that's what the primaries produce.

PBY

Banned
Why do you care, when your reaction is going to be "well that's nothing/doesn't matter" when the news is released anyway lol.
Literally have never had that reaction to a story.

I just hate how performative and juvenile it makes these stories seem. It's not dissimilar from the stupid shit cable news does constantly. They're not marketing some new blockbuster, just fucking report the news.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Discussions on "We're not ready for X type of president (aka the woman president discussion)" always bum me out.

Imagine if Obama had lost his race in 2008. You'd have a bunch of people come out of the woodwork to say we shouldn't even entertain the idea of a minority president ever again.
But America wasn't ready for a black president (it's still not) and wasn't ready for a woman either (this would be just as true if Clinton had won). That doesn't mean they shouldn't run, and we shouldn't elect them btw. We absolutely should.

Fuck what America is ready for, it's had to be dragged kicking and screaming to all other forms of progress for hundreds of years. Presidential representation is unlikely to be different.

But America wasn't ready for a black president (it's still not) and wasn't ready for a woman either (this would be just as true if Clinton had won). That doesn't mean they shouldn't run, and we shouldn't elect them btw. We absolutely should.

Fuck what America is ready for, it's had to be dragged kicking and screaming to all other forms of progress for hundreds of years. Presidential representation is unlikely to be different.

100% agree. To improve civil rights in America, you have to rip the band-aids off. It's been true of every step forward this country has had since the colonial days. Trump being in the White House should encourage more women to become a tour de force in politics.

I do love my oppo as much as the next person here, but I've got to agree that this is "wasted" during the immediate Harvey recovery. There'll be plenty of time for this stuff later, but there's an actual-actual catastrophic natural disaster that's above Katrina's scale going on that's 100% worthy of 100% of the media's attention.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I do love my oppo as much as the next person here, but I've got to agree that this is "wasted" during the immediate Harvey recovery. There'll be plenty of time for this stuff later, but there's an actual-actual catastrophic natural disaster that's above Katrina's scale going on that's 100% worthy of 100% of the media's attention.
I don't think the media should put a story on hold just because there's something else going on. Trump is as much a national emergency as a hurricane. Anything that keeps the pressure on him and pushes the GOP closer to realizing they can't protect him is good. The timing might be bad, but some things can't wait.

Chococat

It's time for Feinstein to go

Where is the Feinstein quote from? A speech?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

It is in context of audience wanting Trump impeached. Won't hold it against in context that she is on the Senate Intelligence Committee- she can't go around saying she agrees with impeaching him without getting kicked off the panel for being partisan.

jtb

Banned

Edit: Maybe they bum me out because the only thing I can think to hold onto is that we SHOULD try again, or at least, still let it happen if that's what the primaries produce.

I'm mildly amused by the thinly veiled misogyny over the endless hysterics that we might elect the "wrong" woman.

They're probably busy dealing with Harvey. I'd also imagine a lot of their pre-emptive responses are meant to address multiple things. Remember they've been banging the "collusion isn't illegal" drum for quite some time, leading up to the Don Jr news but surely the same argument would apply to any other case of collusion we don't know about yet.

Good point!

While Hillary absolutely had her own set of issues that hurt her, I think people are significantly downplaying how much being married to Bill hurt. Being married to a lying cheating (likely sexually predatory) spouse is an incredibly negative political asset to have and especially when so much of Hillary's campaign relied on being able to capitalize on Trump being a lying cheating, potential sexual predator. As far as I know, none of the other women who intend to run have husbands who are going to damage them as much as Bill damaged Hillary, because none of them have so much as cheated on them, let alone raped and or sexually assaulted a bunch of different people. I think all of them would have done better with the group Hillary targeted in the GE just by being married to someone who wasn't Bill Clinton.

That sort of spouse would have hurt anyone too. Imagine if Michelle had relentlessly cheated on Barack throughout their marriage and his career. That would have been the end of him. The emasculation he would have suffered as a result would have been so horrifically devistating I don't think he's ever able to amount the sort of campaign that he did.

His little conversation on the tarmac certainly didn't help. At that point people started to think she was above the law and better then everyone else, a reputation she already had, but was just reinforced by Bill being stupid.

But the thing about Bill is that a ton of old Democrats LOVE him. Like my mom. Bill could do no wrong by her. I'm not sure if it helped Hillary for those voters, but it didn't hurt for them.

West Virginia approval ratings:
Trump 48/39
Those numbers look great for Trump on the surface (+9), but given it's WV, those numbers seem awful for Trump. Shouldn't he be at +20 or more?

Also Manchin's not going anywhere.

His little conversation on the tarmac certainly didn't help. At that point people started to think she was above the law and better then everyone else, a reputation she already had, but was just reinforced by Bill being stupid.

But the thing about Bill is that a ton of old Democrats LOVE him. Like my mom. Bill could do no wrong by her. I'm not sure if it helped Hillary for those voters, but it didn't hurt for them.
Yeah I'd go beyond saying that didn't help as well. It made her biggest scandal 1000 times worded. Comey literally said that was the reason the heat was brought on like it was in the first place, and almost felt like he needed to appoint a special prosecutor because of what Bill did.

It was not common for him to come out publically and hold press conferences like he did about a case, but he argued he was put in an unprecedented position given Bill at least appeared to attempt to compromise a sitting attorney general.

Sure older people like him but Hillary didn't get their votes. So he really turned out to just be a liability.

Blader

Manafort was always going o flip either way. Probably just waiting for the best possible deal. Man has zero loyalty to anything or anyone.

I mean, he literally betrayed his country! But I also don't think "Mueller has flipped Manafort" is something that would be announced or reported would it?

Manchin is very popular in West Virginia.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why people are really sweating his chances next year. I get Trump won the state by like 40 million points, but if there's any red state Democrat who can credibly claim to have built out a personal brand independent of the party that voters across the aisle can respect, it's Manchin.

Yeah I'd go beyond saying that didn't help as well. It made her biggest scandal 1000 times worded. Comey literally said that was the reason the heat was brought on like it was in the first place, and almost felt like he needed to appoint a special prosecutor because of what Bill did.

It was not common for him to come out publically and hold press conferences like he did about a case, but he argued he was put in an unprecedented position given Bill at least appeared to attempt to compromise a sitting attorney general.

Sure older people like him but Hillary didn't get their votes. So he really turned out to just be a liability.

Come on, it's pretty clear that Comey held that press conference because he wanted to publicly excoriate Hillary for her email practices but just assumed she would win anyway. I really don't think Bill was a huge part of that calculus. It was simply a partisan decision.

pigeon

Banned
Part of me thinks that Bill intentionally sabotaged his wife both times she ran.

It would seem pretty much in keeping with the rest of their relationship!

Those numbers look great for Trump on the surface (+9), but given it's WV, those numbers seem awful for Trump. Shouldn't he be at +20 or more?

Also Manchin's not going anywhere.

Yes, +9 in WV is a terrible number for Trump. He got over 68% of the vote there, his highest percentage of the vote in any state. If he's not breaking 50% approval there, it's reasonable to question if he's breaking 50% approval anywhere. Although part of that appears to be them not pushing leaners hard enough.

Gallup's poll for 8/17-8/19 (released on 8/20) had Trump at 36/58.

Since then, his approval has been either 34 or 35 and his disapproval has been either 59 or 60 every single release.

Gallup's poll for 8/17-8/19 (released on 8/20) had Trump at 36/58.

Since then, his approval has been either 34 or 35 and his disapproval has been either 59 or 60 every single release.
But he was "back" at a whopping 38% a day or two after Charlottesville! The nation is lost!

Good numbers for Manchin - they're supposedly releasing head-to-head polls for the Senate race tomorrow. also lol Justice, sucks to suck.

Teggy

So they are forcing some Russian consulates to close. Overcompensation for what's coming today?
Let me dream, ok?

Tillerson did this??? The fuck is going on here?

200.gif

but in this case it isn't hope. It's just a bunch of people dealing with a crazy old traitorous racist

Wag

Watching CNN:

Greg Abbott just made Sep 3 an official "day of prayer" in Texas.

Uh, separation of church and state anyone?

Tillerson did this??? The fuck is going on here?

This:

BBC said:
"While there will continue to be a disparity in the number of diplomatic and consular annexes, we have chosen to allow the Russian Government to maintain some of its annexes in an effort to arrest the downward spiral in our relationship," the state department said in its statement on Thursday.

"The United States hopes that, having moved toward the Russian Federation's desire for parity, we can avoid further retaliatory actions by both sides and move forward to achieve the stated goal of both our presidents: improved relations between our two countries and increased co-operation on areas of mutual concern."

Make the big move to seem tough while actually giving in.

Why can't any of these people take an easy win when it is offered up to them? Letting this happen is such a no-brainer. Catering to the racists isn't going to carry the electoral college.

They're not catering to racists, they ARE racist. To them this is part of who they are and something that they feel is important for white supremacy

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
They're not catering to racists, they ARE racist. To them this is part of who they are and something that they feel is important for white supremacy

I understand that, but you'd think 'condemn nazis whenever possible, and don't cause a stink about an African American woman being on the $20 bill would easy ways to hide it, or at least give the 'moderates' the plausible deniability to say 'nah, they aren't racist.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom