• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that, but you'd think 'condemn nazis whenever possible, and don't cause a stink about an African American woman being on the $20 bill would easy ways to hide it, or at least give the 'moderates' the plausible deniability to say 'nah, they aren't racist.'

I don't think they care about hiding it anymore.

Come on, it's pretty clear that Comey held that press conference because he wanted to publicly excoriate Hillary for her email practices but just assumed she would win anyway. I really don't think Bill was a huge part of that calculus. It was simply a partisan decision.
I don't agree.

Had the FBI just released a statement a few days or weeks after Bill's meeting with Lynch it would have looked like a cover up. Comey did what he did to attempt to maintain transparency.

He acted in an unprecedented way but the Clinton's put him in an unprecedented position. Don't think an FBI director has ever been faced with a situation like that, where a presidential candidate who is under FBI investigation, had their husband who is also an ex president with a lot of influence, had a secret meeting with an AG in an airport. People can criticize the decisions he made but he was put in a difficult situation that shouldn't have happened.

If he was being partisan, he could have just appointed a special prosecutor.. which would have been significantly more devistating and he would have justified for doing it given the circumstances

studyguy

I don't see what this does other than a pretty blatant attempt to undermine Comey for upcoming investigation issues where his involvement is still tied to idk.

Watching CNN:

Greg Abbott just made Sep 3 an official "day of prayer" in Texas.

Uh, separation of church and state anyone?

This is common in red states, especially the South. When Bryant signs his bills, he makes sure his Bible is visible in the photo ops (and sometimes a gun on the Bible).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see what this does other than a pretty blatant attempt to undermine Comey for upcoming investigation issues where his involvement is still tied to idk.

This is exactly why this hit today. Watch tonight's oppo be something huge related to Comey.

This is exactly why this hit today. Watch tonight's oppo be something huge related to Comey.

Calling good journalism oppo just degrades it to some kind of political dirt digging operation. It's like calling what Woodward and Berstein did oppo in the same way that some sleazy political operative gets pictures of some guy having an affair.

kirblar

@KenDilanianNBC

New: Manafort notes from June 2016 Trump Tower meeting contained references to "donations" and "RNC," sources tell NBC News.
"Oops, I certainly shouldn't have said it was secret!"

"Oops, I certainly shouldn't have said it was illegal!"

Nice to start getting explicit confirmation that this goes way farther than the Trump businesses and campaign.
There it is. Now I feel safe expecting something substantial to come out tonight.
Wittes is like the only trustworthy person on hyping this stuff- his one misfire was when a story got delayed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Calling good journalism oppo just degrades it to some kind of political dirt digging operation. It's like calling what Woodward and Berstein did oppo in the same way that some sleazy political operative gets pictures of some guy having an affair.

I agree, but it's pretty much semantics at this point.

@KenDilanianNBC

New: Manafort notes from June 2016 Trump Tower meeting contained references to "donations" and "RNC," sources tell NBC News.

"RNC," people. I guarantee this is much deeper than just Trump. As many of us have thought from the beginning, this isn't just Trump. There's a reason guys like Cotton, et al., will do anything to defend this stuff. They're intertwined.

kirblar

I agree, but it's pretty much semantics at this point.

"RNC," people. I guarantee this is much deeper than just Trump. As many of us have thought from the beginning, this isn't just Trump. There's a reason guys like Cotton, et al., will do anything to defend this stuff. They're intertwined.
Steele's dossier is the reason the "oppo" part has stuck IMO.

ivajz

Here's the report https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...t-contain-cryptic-reference-donations-n797816

Manafort Notes From Russian Meet Contain Cryptic Reference to 'Donations'

BY KEN DILANIAN AND CAROL E. LEE

WASHINGTON — Paul Manafort's notes from a controversial Trump Tower meeting with Russians during the 2016 presidential campaign included the word "donations," near a reference to the Republican National Committee, two sources briefed on the evidence told NBC News.

The references, which have not been previously disclosed, elevated the significance of the June 2016 meeting for congressional investigators, who are focused on determining whether it included any discussion of donations from Russian sources to either the Trump campaign or the Republican Party.

It is illegal for foreigners to donate to American elections. The meeting happened just as Trump had secured the Republican nomination for president, and he was considered a longshot to win. Manafort was the campaign chairman at the time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's literally the Idris Elba scene from The Wire.

Also,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8
stringer-criminalfuckingconspiracy.gif

There's already a thread but posting here as well. Trump is ending DACA.
@Johnrobertsfox said:
A Senior Administration Official tells @FoxNews that @realDonaldTrump is expected to announce that DACA will be allowed to 'lapse" 1/2
2/2 "Dreamers" would be allowed to stay until their work permits expire (2 years for some). Announcement could come tomorrow
https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/903316369177022469
https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/903316566544191488

Blader

Christ, they're really going to deport hundreds of thousands of people who know no other life or country than this one?

On a rapidly growing list, this has got to be among the most heinous things Trump has done.

DACA is again yet another issue that Trump embraces to please his ever smaller base, because no one outside of them wants DACA to end. It's a logistical and humanitarian nightmare.

As his numbers continue to slide, and to keep republicans from turning on him he needs to keep throwing red meat at his faithful. I expect things to get even worse in the next couple months.

PBY

Banned
Ending DACA is so fucked up I can't even process this.

I worked in an immigration clinic that worked on DACA and SIJS cases, and the stories I heard were the most horrific nightmares, it was unimaginable.

Fuck. This should be the only thing discussed today, honestly anything else, any other oppo shit, can wait. These people have ZERO voice, no one gives a fuck about them, many of them are going to face horrific ends and most people won't even be made aware of what just happened.

You know, this even supersedes the dumb fuckass argument some Republicans use about Mueller's mandate covering only things directly arising from the investigation.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It really scares me that there isn't more pushback against Trump having the power to pardon people who violate the fifth amendment.

Yes, there's a lot of power in pardons, but not to the point that he can nullify the constitution. Who's to say he can't blanket pardon all violators of the fifth amendment and just make it so that amendment doesn't exist?

Why are people just rolling over and saying there's nothing that can be done about it? Is the president simply above the constitution? Because that's what I see the courts saying between allowing this pardon to go through and not doing anything about emoluments. There are no checks and balances happening here at all.

At least I'm not the only one who thinks this pardon isn't constitutional.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/opinion/trump-arpaio-pardon-arizona-sheriff.html

I wish I could say that I'll be surprised at the amount of articles next month with something along the lines of "I voted for Trump, now my husband/boyfriend/family member/father of my children have to leave because of DACA."

But yeah..

Kasich, Hickenlooper, Sandoval, Wolf, Walker (AK), McAuliffe, Edwards and Bullock release their ACA fix plan:

• Fund cost-sharing reduction payments: CSR payments help to offset the cost to insurers for offering poorer Americans plans with low out-of-pocket costs. These payments have been the subject of a lawsuit under the Obama administration. Trump has repeatedly threatened to cut them off. The letter urged them to be funded for two years.
  • Create a fund to help states address rising premiums: The governors said they want Congress to create a $15 billion a year stability fund that would allow states to create programs to bring down premiums for people in the exchange markets. They also suggested offsetting the move by cutting other spending.
  • Exempt insurers from the federal health insurance tax for plans in underserved counties: The governors' plan would exempt insurers from the federal tax on plans provided to people in counties where there is only one insurer. Such a move would help to encourage insurers to enter rural counties that may be in danger of going without coverage on the exchanges.
  • Allow people in underserved counties to buy into government benefits: The plan would let people in counties with one insurer on the exchange buy into the Federal Employee Benefit Program. In essence, that would create a so-called public option for underserved counties.
  • Recreate the federal reinsurance program: That program helped to stem losses by insurers and helped spur their participation in the exchanges. The program was phased out, but the plan would reinstate it.

Interesting mix of ideas here, I'm surprised Kasich and Sandoval would sign onto what is essentially a public option.

It really scares me that there isn't more pushback against Trump having the power to pardon people who violate the fifth amendment.

Yes, there's a lot of power in pardons, but not to the point that he can nullify the constitution. Who's to say he can't blanket pardon all violators of the fifth amendment and just make it so that amendment doesn't exist?

Why are people just rolling over and saying there's nothing that can be done about it? Is the president simply above the constitution, because that's what I see the courts saying between allowing this pardon to go through and not doing anything about emoluments.

Yeah I'd like the idea of pardoning contempt charges challenged.

PBY

Banned
I wish I could say that I'll be surprised at the amount of articles next month with something along the lines of "I voted for Trump, now my husband/boyfriend/family member/father of my children have to leave because of DACA."

People have zero idea how fucked up this is, and most people know its bad.

Its just the highest order of betrayal.

I'm kind of speechless.

Blader

Ending DACA is so fucked up I can't even process this.

I worked in an immigration clinic that worked on DACA and SIJS cases, and the stories I heard were the most horrific nightmares, it was unimaginable.

Fuck. This should be the only thing discussed today, honestly anything else, any other oppo shit, can wait. These people have ZERO voice, no one gives a fuck about them, many of them are going to face horrific ends and most people won't even be made aware of what just happened.

I don't want to sound glib in the face of the DACA elimination because I agree it's totally disgusting, but I still think it's funny it took you all of two hours to jump from "I've never said the Russia stories don't matter" to "we can NOT talk about Russia today, it can't matter right now!"

Vixdean

Kasich, Hickenlooper, Sandoval, Wolf, Walker (AK), McAuliffe, Edwards and Bullock release their ACA fix plan:

Interesting mix of ideas here, I'm surprised Kasich and Sandoval would sign onto what is essentially a public option.

Pretty telling that other than the public option bit and repealing the insurance tax (isn't that tax only on the so called "Cadillac plans" anyway?), this is basically : implement the law as it was intended. Only thing it's missing is forcing all the holdout states to expand Medicaid. Obamacare was an incredibly well designed plan that was fucked up by Republican governors, legislators, and courts.

kirblar

People (and especially young'ns) don't understand just how far left the debate on this issue has shifted in such a short period of time.

The center is not where it was. This does not mean that single payer is feasible (or necessarily a good idea) from where we are now, but it does mean we need to go for it w/ UHC and a public option the next time we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom