• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't they going to keep ACA subsidies for AK and HI? Wasn't that part of the deal they were selling to Murkowski?

She could also keep those subsidies by voting no. She gains absolutely nothing for Alaska by voting yes. Voting yes also likely ends her career, giving the people who voted for her and how she was elected.

I read that as they've given up on Collins and McCain and Murkowski is their last shot

Yep. "May vote yes" doesn't mean she's planning on voting yes or is even close, just she and Rand are their only options. They HAVE to vote yes.

Weren’t they going to keep ACA subsidies for AK and HI? Wasn’t that part of the deal they were selling to Murkowski?

She already said only keeping them for AK would still collapse their market. It's a shit bribe, and more to the point, she has no guarantees that it'll hold.

JettDash

I don't think Rand will fold unless they radically change the bill. It doesn't make any sense for him to be tell everyone who will listen how terrible the bill is and that he won't be bullied or bought, if he wasn't serious about his opposition. He would look like a gigantic pussy and never be taken seriously again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Weren’t they going to keep ACA subsidies for AK and HI? Wasn’t that part of the deal they were selling to Murkowski?

Mike Lee said he was assured that would not be the case in the final bill. He was adamantly against it.

Diablos

She already said only keeping them for AK would still collapse their market. It's a shit bribe, and more to the point, she has no guarantees that it'll hold.
When did she say that?

Who knows what else they could be bribing her with.

Honestly the pressure, psychologically speaking, must be immense. For Senators like Murkowski and Collins, this debate is basically their career until it’s finally passed or if the GOP would FINALLY give up on it. Maybe she’ll just take some bribes and have an off ramp knowing this will likely sink her career. Trump made life for Senatots like her pretty awful.

jtb

Banned
I think we've entered the bluffing-without-actually-voting stage of this piece of shit.

When did she say that?

Who knows what else they could be bribing her with.

Honestly the pressure, psychologically speaking, must be immense. For Senators like Murkowski and Collins, this debate is basically their career until it's finally passed or if the GOP would FINALLY give up on it. Maybe she'll just take some bribes and have an off ramp knowing this will likely sink her career.

I don't think there's that much pressure on Murkowski, to be honest. GOP already forced her to resign from leadership when she lost her primary, she doesn't owe the party anything and isn't up for re-election until 2022.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Patrick Svitek‏Verified account @PatrickSvitek 8m8 minutes ago

.@TedCruz on #GrahamCassidy: “Right now they don’t have my vote, and I don’t think they have Mike Lee’s either." #TribFest17

"Right now."

Again it makes no sense for Lisa M to vote yes, based on her past vote, based on voting no yields the same outcome as the promised bribe, and the governor is against it.

Seriously if she votes yes she's ending her political career

jtb

Banned
speaking of Senators under a lot of pressure: fuck Cory Gardner and fuck every "nonpartisan" organization that endorsed this jackass for "problem solving."

(seriously, is any organization a bigger joke than No Labels?)

Here are the people who voted against the BCRA when it came up to vote
Susan Collins (Maine), Tom Cotton (Ark.), Bob Corker (Tenn.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Dean Heller (Nev.), Mike Lee (Utah), Jerry Moran (Kan.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Rand Paul (Ky.)

So when Rand Paul and Mike Lee said they would not vote for it, they actually didn't vote for it. Cruz will vote for anything.

Kusagari

Murkowski always seems to keep her vote close to her chest. Graham and Cassidy just sound like they're having false hope because they don't want to admit their turd of a bill has been flushed.

JettDash

Again it makes no sense for Lisa M to vote yes, based on her past vote, based on voting no yields the same outcome as the promised bribe, and the governor is against it.

Seriously if she votes yes she's ending her political career

It yields a worse outcome, most likely. The bill is only good till 2026, I think. While Obamacare is the law forever unless it is repealed.

Here are the people who voted against the BCRA when it came up to vote

So when Rand Paul and Mike Lee said they would not vote for it, they actually didn't vote for it. Cruz will vote for anything.

Yeah I'm not sure where people get the idea that he always folds.

teiresias

It yields a worse outcome, most likely. The bill is only good till 2026, I think. While Obamacare is the law forever unless it is repealed.

And given what Lee had been assured, Murkowski can't be sure the bribe for her vote wouldn't be stripped out by the House in any case to appease the HFC.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is there anyone in congress less principled than Rand, who has a reputation for being principled?

God, he's so worthless.

JettDash

And given what Lee had been assured, Murkowski can't be sure the bribe for her vote wouldn't be stripped out by the House in any case to appease the HFC.

If she is inclined to take the bribe I don't l know why that would deter her. Both chambers have to pass the same exact bill before it goes to the president. So if the House took out her bribe, the bill would go back to the Senate again.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Patrick Svitek‏Verified account @PatrickSvitek 32m32 minutes ago

.@TedCruz: "The Sept. 30 deadline is a bogus deadline." #GrahamCassidy #TribFest17

There's not some procedural bullshit that lets them still do 50 votes after next Saturday, is there?

Hopfrog

Steve Mnuchin on This Week right now talking about the kneeling issue. Thoughts:

1. Mnuchin looks a bit like D'Onofrio in MIB.

2. Why are you asking the Treasury Secretary to comment on this? Is there some connection to interest rates that I am missing?

Vixdean

There's not some procedural bullshit that lets them still do 50 votes after next Saturday, is there?

Ultimately I wouldn't count on any procedural rule stopping them from repealing Obamacare. If at any point they can muster 50-51 votes, they'll scrap all precedent to pass it.

Steve Mnuchin on This Week right now talking about the kneeling issue. Thoughts:

1. Mnuchin looks a bit like D'Onofrio in MIB.

2. Why are you asking the Treasury Secretary to comment on this? Is there some connection to interest rates that I am missing?

Steve Mnuchin, producer of the Academy Award-winning film Suicide Squad, is well-equipped to discuss a wide range of issues.

I'm starting to wonder if Trump's "there are 10 nos" stuff was actually true. Taking all the nos or likely nos at face value (assuming they actually mean it) comes to about 6, might be a few more we don't know about.

Ted Cruz hates the parliamentarian. He always has. He despises the entire process of getting CBO estimates and approval and stuff because she told him "no" once on something.

His procedure suggestions would be to dissolve the parliamentarian and end the filibuster.

JettDash

Sure. The FY ends and they will be able to write new reconciliation instructions. They planned on using that for tax reform since they thought they would be done with Obamacare repeal. But if they want, they can have it so they are able to do both Obamacare repeal and taxes in the same bill.

It is just such a terrible idea that people didn't really consider that they might do it.

Plinko

The best part about this past disaster of a political year is that most are seeing how hypocritical republicans are.

States' rights! (Unless we don't like the issue).

Free speech! (Unless it's in favor of minorities).

Ogodei

Ted Cruz has been the leading "fuck the parliamentarian" advocate, that the majority can just do what it wants, when it wants. Which in typical Ted Cruz fashion is technically correct if you ignore the major consequences it would have for the chamber down the road.

Diablos

I can’t help but think Cassidy doing a new bill is a huge fuck you to Collins given her comments to Jake Tapper today

What if the new bill has a deal for AK and the rest of it ends block grants which I’m sure Rand Paul et al would love? I’d think that would be more likely than the Cassidy-Collins bill we saw early this year where states could keep ACA if they preferred to

Teggy

Ben Jacobs @Bencjacobs
SCOOP: Nigel Farage is coming to Alabama tomorrow to support Roy Moore

Remind me again why foreign politicians are involved in our elections?

Pittsburgh is staying in the locker room for the National Anthem.

Diablos

Tomlin took the high road

"You know, these are very divisive times for our country and for us as a football team it's about us remaining solid. We're not going to be divided by anything said by anyone. ... "[I told our players] if you feel the need to do anything I'm going to be supportive of that -- as Americans you have that right. But whatever we do we're going to do 100 percent, we're going to do together. We're not going to let divisive times or divisive individuals affect our agenda."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...l-stay-in-locker-room-during-national-anthem/

Looks like the far right AfD is going to finish third in the German election and capture roughly 90 seats with about 13.5% of the vote. Last time they fell just short of the 5% threshold to earn any seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom