• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The disrespect is more explicit with a black soldier, but Trump has no empathy and probably has disrespected white soldiers too.

I mean, "I like people who weren't captured."
Yeah I imagine he's been disrespectful in private, but I'm not sure he would've tweeted if it were a white soldier.

Either way it's pretty depressing to see him as POTUS.

Watching Orrin Hatch right now, I’m pretty concerned about him being anywhere in the line of succession. How many people on Capitol Hill are actually cogent?

Blader

So with Rand a no and Cochran still out, are we expecting Senate Rs to pass their budget resolution with just 50 votes this week?

studyguy

Yeah, they'll be passing the budget resolution this week. They're voting on amendments later today. Will probably pass it tomorrow.

Because the press absolutely has a history of running with spurious Russia allegations, only to retract them later, or to have the people who originally reported on the allegations take issue with the press' spin on it, and someone that isn't in the right wing echo chamber has to call them on it?

I'm not willing to go as far as Greenwald in finding the Russian allegations completely false - I fully expect Mueller's investigation to turn up impeachable offenses linked to the Kremlin, actually. Plenty of the allegations have been substantiated, most notably the Kushner's leaked emails and the meeting in Trump tower where they supposedly didn't talk about compromising info on Clinton when we have an email saying that's what the meeting was about. But there's certainly a pattern of outlets breathlessly reporting on unconfirmed stories like the Russians breaching the security of voting machines, quietly retracting them, and having it enter the back of the liberal consciousness as something true that the authorities aren't following up on because of corruption.

It blows my mind that all that is keeping Trump and co at bay(ish) is incompetence and a general disagreement over just how evil they want to be.

Like usually the arguments have been it's not evil enough... so nothing gets passed.

Kimawolf

Sessions: The federal government cannot take over law enforcement in Chicago-

Durbin- And chicago cannot take over immigration enforcement for the federal government.

Great comeback to his bullshit.

Because the press absolutely has a history of running with spurious Russia allegations, only to retract them later, or to have the people who originally reported on the allegations take issue with the press' spin on it, and someone that isn't in the right wing echo chamber has to call them on it?

I'm not willing to go as far as Greenwald in finding the Russian allegations completely false - I fully expect Mueller's investigation to turn up impeachable offenses linked to the Kremlin, actually. Plenty of the allegations have been substantiated, most notably the Kushner's leaked emails and the meeting in Trump tower where they supposedly didn't talk about compromising info on Clinton when we have an email saying that's what the meeting was about. But there's certainly a pattern of outlets breathlessly reporting on unconfirmed stories like the Russians breaching the security of voting machines, quietly retracting them, and having it enter the back of the liberal consciousness as something true that the authorities aren't following up on because of corruption.

So you do that by going onto the right wing echo chamber to do it?

Also using Intercept stories to defend Greenwald is pretty funny actually let me rephrase using Glenn Greenwald as your only source to defend Glenn Greenwald is funny.

So you do that by going onto the right wing echo chamber to do it?

Also using Intercept stories to defend Greenwald is pretty funny actually let me rephrase using Glenn Greenwald as your only source to defend Glenn Greenwald is funny.

You're welcome to follow the twitter links of the authors whose work was misconstrued and judge for yourself, there's nothing in those articles that requires trusting Greenwald.

It blows my mind that all that is keeping Trump and co at bay(ish) is incompetence and a general disagreement over just how evil they want to be.

Like usually the arguments have been it's not evil enough... so nothing gets passed.

Don't forget laziness. Trump might be the laziest person to ever run for, let alone win, the Presidency. All he wants to do is watch TV and play golf. He could mobilize his base to bring full-fledged fascism to this country, and presumably another civil war, but he's just not motivated enough to care. He wants someone else to do everything for him, which is really a quality you look for in a leader. And that laziness extends to intellectual laziness, so he can't be bothered to spend any time thinking about how he might improve his chances to pass legislation he wants, because he doesn't actually know what he wants, because he hasn't bothered to spend a single second thinking about any of it. He just does not care as long as he's rich and powerful and people either love or fear him. Captain Fail Upward stays winning.

You're welcome to follow the twitter links of the authors whose work was misconstrued and judge for yourself, there's nothing in those articles that requires trusting Greenwald.

It's interpretation of quotes.... how the interviewer interpreted them doesn't really matter in that context. Read the comments, once again just like almost every piece Greenwald does on these things there's a ton of people calling him out for being ridiculous.

You sure do expend an enormous amount of emotional energy over what are at best disputable characterizations of the subject in question. Assange does, for a fact, exclaim about an aspect of so-called open debate in Russia (among elites only, ironically) as opposed to calling out one of the least open societies on earth. It is also an unassailable fact he has guarded praise for Trump and nothing remotely neutral or positive to say about Hillary Clinton. I'm sure you believe that to be fair and objective reporting as well.

All the more galling, though, is your propensity to commit the exact same sins you accuse others of inflicting on the public. Your entire screed is full of emotional provocation and spurious accusations about deceit, including paragraph after paragraph about how you have some pseudo-psychological pipeline to all Clinton voters. Nobody can read minds, Mr. Greenwald.

After the many years of vitriolic attacks against anyone who disagrees with your ”narrative", I have little reason to believe your automatic disavowals of any and all accusations against Russia or Assange over established documented evidence. Assange attacked the Democratic Party, with the aid of Russia, and the encouragement of the Trump campaign, in exacting fulfillment of a promise of a Trump official months beforehand. Spin that.

You still need to tell me why going into the Right Wing Echo Chamber was wise...

kirblar

Florida U has given Richard Spencer control over what media gets to cover his speech and control over tickets handed out it seems...
They paid for the room is the problem in this case, it wasn't a student group that invited him. Hence, the shitheads get ticketing control.

That frozen look on Sessions face when Graham asked him why it took so long to fire Comey if it was email related.....LMAO.

I need a gif of that.

"........buh.."

The disrespect is more explicit with a black soldier, but Trump has no empathy and probably has disrespected white soldiers too.

I mean, "I like people who weren't captured."

Unfortunately it seems everyone's forgotten about Ryan Owens at this point. I think he was one of the first soldiers killed under Trump. Trump let himself get goaded into authorizing that mission, then he refused to take any responsibility for his death and then used his mourning wife as a prop.

studyguy

Trump still denying what he said the widow, despite the widow confirming to WaPo that is what he said, lmao

He's got nothing anyway.
https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/920681406908502017
Ali Vitali (@alivitali)
Asked about the proof he says he has, Trump says "let [Wilson] make her statement again and then you'll find out."

ALSO MEANWHILE IN VA

https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/920679682055471104
Graham Moomaw (@gmoomaw)
New #VAGov polling from Quinnipiac:

Northam - 53%
Gillespie - 39%
Hyra - 2%

So what's the story with Trump's claim that Comey was drafting letters to exonerate Hillary two months before investigation was complete?

Side note: Fox News is all over this. Man ever since they backed away from the "Fair and Balanced" tag, they've gone full blown aggressive with their tactics as of late.

Front page: criminal black people, clinton scandals, etc.

Sessions Perjury Baiting Session #2

McConnell must be banging his head right now. A day after he comes out with Trump to announce they're moving ahead with tax reform, and Trump derails everything.

This keeps happening. It looks like things are calming down and the GOP is moving ahead, and then suddenly Trump out of nowhere kills all momentum with a completely irrelevant tangent.

Mitch might also be suffering from old age brain decline if he can't follow pattern recognition.

Trump, one morning, went after the FBI for some reason that no one knew about until it was revealed weeks later that THAT was the morning that Manafort was raided.

That, and he asked the NYT to record this screed on how Sessions should have never asked for AG if he was going to recuse himself (HELLO I LIKE TO OBSTRUCT DURRR), and for Mueller to stay away from his finances (which Mueller promptly revealed he had been doing so).

Same paymasters.

Sat through the entire hearing then abandoned ship as soon as Cruz cane on. He's too insufferable.

This not invoking executive privilege thing needs to be resolved. Feels like it's just going to be brought up every three months and then delayed due to obscurity

Reporter on CNN said that according to her sources, if Trump issues preemptive pardons in the Russia investigation, Congress would likely move forward with impeachment, even with Republicans in control.

Unfortunately it seems everyone's forgotten about Ryan Owens at this point. I think he was one of the first soldiers killed under Trump. Trump let himself get goaded into authorizing that mission, then he refused to take any responsibility for his death and then used his mourning wife as a prop.
How could we forget the night Donald Trump became President?

So what's the story with Trump's claim that Comey was drafting letters to exonerate Hillary two months before investigation was complete?
That came up before, but basically.... even though the investigation was still technically ongoing, the FBI had seen enough to understand that any sort of charges would be incredibly unlikely (and honestly they probably realized from the beginning that it was a bogus witchhunt). Starting to draft a letter based on the expected outcome of the investigation isn't unusual or shady and it in no way suggests Comey was committed to exonerating Clinton regardless of what the investigation or the FBI interview with Hillary turned up.

kirblar

Reporter on CNN said that according to her sources, if Trump issues preemptive pardons in the Russia investigation, Congress would likely move forward with impeachment, even with Republicans in control.
At that point they have to because the general election damage from keeping him now outweighs the base damage from axing him.

DTC

The thing that is consistent with all of these recent polls is Northam being up a few points among independents.

How long before Trump incites war with another Gold Star family? Attacks LaDavid's mom as a democrat?

Cue usual painful GOP defense "If you attack him, he hits back ten times harder" or "Well the mother politicized her son's death by blaming Trump"?

Owzers

How long before Trump incites war with another Gold Star family? Attacks LaDavid's mom as a democrat?

Cue usual painful GOP defense "If you attack him, he hits back ten times harder" or "Well the mother politicized her son's death by blaming Trump"?
A car full of nasty women told by the democrat to lie about Trump. Seems inevitable unless the news stops covering it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Would like to see this clip if anyone has a link. Also who the reporter is. This is the first and only reported impeachment line in the sand I've heard to date.

I expect far less attention to be paid to this gaudy Northam lead, quelle surprise.

Not that I think it’s accurate, but a range of “Gillespie up 1” to “Northam up 14” suggests a medium of Northam up mid-single digits rather than “OH GOD DEMOCRATS ARE FUCKED.”

NYT had a D+5 electorate in 2013’s exit poll just FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom