• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The Peanut Butter Bacon Pickle (PBBP) at Killer Burger is fucking phenomenal. The place I work at always trades food with them and I get it every single time. It's the best burger I've had in Portland.

Ole Frijole on 42nd and Killingsworth weirdly makes a really really good, but pretty standard burger. A double cheeseburger with bacon is only like 7 bucks and the patties are really big. The mexican food there is also really fucking good and really cheap. Best value mexican place in the Alberta/Concordia area. It's taste is on par with La Bonita, but it's closer in price to La Sirenita. The chimichangas are massive, and amazing.

La Sirenita is cheap and decent and super cheap, but food poisoning...

La Petite Provence is some tasty ass French bullshit. The clientele is always all white and mostly yuppy, but don't let it discourage. You will get a croissant with your meal and it will taste better than god's dick. Make sure to get a dessert for later on your way out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Well I ate at Petite Provence for breakfast today because Pine State Biscuits had a crazy line.

Petite Provence is my go-to. Love that place. Their Monte Cristo *drool*

Although, I am saddened that they got rid of the Berry French Toast and Steak Benedict.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The only drawback about Petite is that they use mushrooms in too many things. I hate mushrooms with a passion.

For the Beerheads out there. Heads up that a few places will be tapping some Pliny the Younger in town in the next week or so. So far the places I know of:

Apex will be tapping it on Saturday March 2 at 11:30AM
1216 SE Division St.
Portland, Oregon 97202

Beermongers may be tapping it according to rumor, but no idea when...
1125 SE Division ST.
Portland, OR 97202

And finally, Saraveza MAY have it on March 4th
1004 N Killingsworth St
Portland, OR 97217

If Pliny is your thing, good luck! My local shop (NWIPA) won't be carrying it, and I am not sure I feel like making a big deal out of it anyway. I will still have my Hop Venom to keep me company.

Is it coming to eugene this year?

I will keep my ears peeled. I haven't heard anything yet though. To be honest, I don't tend to follow the pubs in Eugene as much as I do here in Portland but I will surely let you know if I do hear anything.

Thanks. The elder is my favorite ipa. It seems like any more flavor would muddle the taste, but younger is so rare that it's worth the geeky novelty of trying to find it.

So I swung by La Petite Provence, super posh inside. Dug the vibe, grabbed a chocolate croissant and it was decent, not the best I've had but I definitely want to go back for their lunch menu. Cool little spot, didnt even know it was in front of Landmark!

MiicD

Banned
Just found out about this hobby shop called Red Castle Games on Foster as I just got into Magic,.. only two blocks away from my girls house! All the monies will be spent!

Doombear

Just found out about this hobby shop called Red Castle Games on Foster as I just got into Magic,.. only two blocks away from my girls house! All the monies will be spent!

Right around the corner from me! Picked up Cards Against Humanity there a few months back, at an actually decent price. That place is steadily busy, I like it. Businesses doing well on Foster makes me happy.

Sweet! Google even has a little 'inside the store' view. Will check it out, its up the street from me! Looks like it has Magic cards and tables to play, NICE!

Doombear

Just an FYI, the Google 'inside store' view is from their old location. They moved literally two doors down a year or more ago and their current space is probably 2-3 times the size of that Google shot.

Timedog was tired so we just settled for a restaurant outting rather than Last Thursday events. We went to Dar Salam. Definitely recommend it.

Here's a shitty cell pic of my main dish.

YGPsQUF.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Only if you want the worst service in Oregon. I swear they will not hire competent servers.

The one here in Salem is usually pretty tops and the sit down that's like a block away from PCC was usually decent. I only ever have issues with them when they get a decent group of people inside that want straight bar service. I've had to walk up to the bar away from my table and request my tab multiple times from the bartender when they get on their "Imma talk about our beer cause i'm a fucking expert" rants...

BUT ... Hotel Oregon in Mcmineville (or however it's spelled) is fucking tits and i will fight you if you say otherwise.

well, if you've ever wanted to do anything even remotely nerdy in Portland, this weekend is the weekend to do it, as 3/4ths of PDX's dork population is in Seattle for the Emerald City Comic-Con.

Also, I guess Rakim was hogging the Ms. Pac-Man machine at Ground Kontrol today.

gblues

Banned
Heh, I'm always up for something nerdy, except I have drill this weekend so I'm flying to Boise. Wheeeeeee.

Ketch

+1 for Ole Frijoles on 42nd.

Just had the chicken chimechanga for lunch.

The only thing better then amazing Mexican food is the 45min bathroom during work hours that comes later.

The only thing better then amazing Mexican food is the 45min bathroom during work hours that comes later.

I haven't had a bad thing there yet. I've eaten the shrimp taco, fish taco, chimechanga, and tostada grande. All good. Love how much food you can get there for the price. Also whatever technique they use to fry things is probably the best I've tasted from the mexican places I've been to thus far.

I haven't had a bad thing there yet. I've eaten the shrimp taco, fish taco, chimechanga, and tostada grande. All good. Love how much food you can get there for the price. Also whatever technique they use to fry things is probably the best I've tasted from the mexican places I've been to thus far.

They fry their food in gypsy tears, according to my inside source.

Still psyched?

Ole's is pretty awesome. I have a friend who was marking off each item on the menu, dont think he ever finished tho. I recommend the tamales , with mole sauce if you feel like something new. I guess that used to be the owners specialty in mexico, he ran a little tamale cart or something. anyway the corn covering on them tastes damn good.

Sumidor

For the Beerheads out there. Heads up that a few places will be tapping some Pliny the Younger in town in the next week or so. So far the places I know of:

Apex will be tapping it on Saturday March 2 at 11:30AM
1216 SE Division St.
Portland, Oregon 97202

Beermongers may be tapping it according to rumor, but no idea when...
1125 SE Division ST.
Portland, OR 97202

And finally, Saraveza MAY have it on March 4th
1004 N Killingsworth St
Portland, OR 97217

If Pliny is your thing, good luck! My local shop (NWIPA) won't be carrying it, and I am not sure I feel like making a big deal out of it anyway. I will still have my Hop Venom to keep me company.
Just to add to this, I found this on Eater today.

Attention Pliny the Younger fanatics: The uber-exclusive Triple IPA from California's Russian River Brewing starts making its (very limited) appearances around town this week, with two spots confirming possession of the coveted kegs. NW's Wildwood will tap its Pliny keg tomorrow (Tuesday, March 5) at 4:30p.m.; downtown's Higgins plans to do the same Wednesday (March 6) at 8p.m.

Could still be there. I've heard that Horse Brass clientele ever since the smoking ban hasn't been quite as discerning about what they're pounding down their throats.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm terrible at organizing those things, but how about Sunday in two weeks, March 17, for a GAF meet-up? Anybody up for that?

You are terrible at this if you suggest a Sunday. :p

But anyhow, hate all of you for the 16th I will be out of town again.

Ugh just remembered can't do the 16th. Roomie is having a concert at the house and I'd rather be here than let some randoms have unfettered access to my room.

Dartastic

I'm at 4-4-2 on Hawthorne about to watch the Timbers game! This place is great. If anyone wants to swing by you should!

Also, is anyone else going to the Zelda symphony?

Top Bottom