• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

I keep popping into this thread and thinking "wow there are a lot of cool GAFfers in Portland." Is there a meetup or anything anytime soon?

Doombear

I would roll with this, because Bar Carlo is goddamned awesome. They make really good drinks there, too.

Agreed! If you want a recommendation, hot pepper infused vodka + grapefruit juice, served tall. They call it a Hot Dog, basically a spicy Greyhound. So good. Of course their Bloody Marys are great also.

I was invited to go to Ringside Steakhouse yesterday and damn was it good. It was expensive as hell but the steaks were delicious, and the service was beyond impeccable. I highly recommend it if you have a few hundred to toss around and have some of the best steak I've ever eaten. Better than Mortons!

Dartastic

We did. Us and Alamo Drafthouse. The following week it was Bagdad & Clinton Street. the following week it was basically every other theater in the country that had been doing it.

Basically, your best bet is hitting up a bar w/ a projection screen and asking if they'll put it on. I think Tanker still shows episodes. I dunno if Backstage at the Bagdad will do it, but I bet if you ask, they will.
Wait a second. You work at the Hollywood? Do you know Stephanie?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, we should have a meet-up. How about Friday 2/22 or Saturday 2/23 at the Bye and Bye (1011 NE Alberta)? Either evening works for me. Around 7pm?

Let me know if either of those nights works for you all. Also, if there's anyone under 21 who wants to come, we can figure out an alternative location.

Also, I'm throwing another Halo LAN at Guardian Games this Saturday! It's 4pm - 8pm and five dollars.

Doombear

Ha! Thanks, that happened. Wow, for anyone even considering it, or if you are lucky enough to be able to get to Bend... this beer is amazing. Triple IPA, 12% but it is so ... harmless. I can see the danger in there not being more bite to this thing. It could eff you up. So then clearly harmless is NOT the best word to use here, but I am typing this after having 6oz glasses so you can't hold me to anything.

Ha! Thanks, that happened. Wow, for anyone even considering it, or if you are lucky enough to be able to get to Bend... this beer is amazing. Triple IPA, 12% but it is so ... harmless. I can see the danger in there not being more bite to this thing. It could eff you up. So then clearly harmless is NOT the best word to use here, but I am typing this after having 6oz glasses so you can't hold me to anything.

NWIPA, eh? I do love high ABV beers, even though it's only ever served in 10oz (or 6oz) glasses! IPA certainly gets some getting used to, but I love that shit now :\ Goddamn there is some good beer around here.

Also, hopefully I can convince my friend to come with me to Guardian Games sometime soon; maybe I can watch a LAN or play some D&D!!

I know you guys answered some questions but I've struggled to get the right names for neighborhoods on what's best to move to. Really would like to avoid apartment/studio living if possible, anyone know the best places to rent a duplex/house for around $1,200-$1,400 a month that's not a shit hole and in a good neighborhood for young people/downtown? Really don't know how to narrow that down on Craigslist...

Buckman
Kerns
Laurelhurst
Mt. Tabor
Foster/Powell
concordia
alameda
Irvington
Grant

Those neighborhoods are all in the general area I remember being recommended to you.

Doombear

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I wonder if it will be like other seasons where they don't even go to the cool locations.

They definitely went up to Mt Hood, so that's something. Really, half of this show should have been them doing outdoor stuff. Go on the Deschutes, Crater Lake, the coast, whatever. Portland doesn't have an interesting enough everyday nightlife.

Sumidor

I don't know if anyone cares, but Holocene is doing the after party for the Comic-Con tomorrow night. It's basically a dance party and most people going probably don't even know it's the after party.

Just saying hello in here as part of Tigard GAF. I've been in the suburbs for the past six years and before that grew up in Springfield/Eugene for 22 years. Generally I've lived out in Beaverton area, though. First moved up here to a gross area of Gresham (all of it?).

I'm likely not much help in conversations since it appears a lot of it is bar talk and I'm not knowledgeable. I do enjoy finding new places to eat, though, so I'll skim through the thread and check suggestions from the first post. I also don't tend to go into Portland proper often (probably twice a month on average? Maybe less) so the places I know and go to area likely the more well known.

I don't recall seeing The Original on the list of restaurants though. Awesome place on 6th and Oak: http://originaldinerant.com/

And also don't recall seeing Grilled Cheese Grill or Slappy Cakes but I skimmed fairly quickly so I'll go back to be sure. Grilled Cheese Grill is fun, good, and always a joy to take someone due to the unique seating. Slappy Cakes is fun for being a "make your own pancake" place. Haven't been there in two or three years so I'm assuming it's still in business. Actually, the one video I've uploaded to YouTube was my friend and me at Slappy Cakes making pancakes (filmed vertically, I'm a menace).

Anyhow, hello Portland GAF.

Doombear

Anyone hit up ComiCon yesterday or today, or planning on going tomorrow? It was a ton of fun. Saw Brent Spiner (his line was so small, kinda sad), Stan Lee, Norman Reedus, Michael Rooker, Sarah Underwood, Winkler, a giant Totoro, The Hulk, Green Ranger, and the stunning Morena Baccarin. It was a blast. Took the missus and our daughter and cruised around for hours.

Also picked up some prints from the ever amazing Chrissie Zullo and one from Mike Maydak.

Anyone hit up ComiCon yesterday or today, or planning on going tomorrow? It was a ton of fun. Saw Brent Spiner (his line was so small, kinda sad), Stan Lee, Norman Reedus, Michael Rooker, Sarah Underwood, Winkler, a giant Totoro, The Hulk, Green Ranger, and the stunning Morena Baccarin. It was a blast. Took the missus and our daughter and cruised around for hours.

Also picked up some prints from the ever amazing Chrissie Zullo and one from Mike Maydak.

Didn't really realize it was going on as I've never been to a convention but it's likely something my girlfriend would be interested in so I'll possibly see if she's free to go tomorrow. Pretty sure she works but I should probably keep my eyes open for other cons that come through the Portland area.

I went to the site and was amazed how much it costs to get autographs. I'll be honest, I thought autographs were free. So not only was I surprised that people charge for their autographs but how much they charge seems absolutely absurd. But as I said, I've never gone to a convention so I'm sure for most people it's a regular thing and it's more surprising that somebody would think autographs are given for free. I could understand there being a cost if you didn't bring in something to sign and they were selling you something like a poster or picture that was getting signed, though.

Doombear

I'll be honest, I thought autographs were free. So not only was I surprised that people charge for their autographs but how much they charge seems absolutely absurd.

I absolutely agree. The prices were a bit staggering. I can understand not being allowed to take pictures of some of them. Stan Lee for example, you paid for a picture with him or you didn't take one. No cameras allowed near his booth. I get that. The prices on the autographs though... I wanted one of Brent Spiner on a picture of him as Sherlock that I have. But it was $45 =( I think a Photo Op, in the special Photo Op Area (blocked off backdropped room, professional 8x10 print) were $35-90. A lot of them, like Norman Reedus, were totally cool with you taking pictures of them or even going up to meet them with nothing to sign and getting a picture.

All told though, it was a blast. So much to see and if you have a ton of money to drop, so much to drop it on. Then there was artist alley which was full of great original pieces, and of course just comics everywhere. Also, some pretty uh... eye catching cosplay. A Vampirella bumped into me and I almost knocked her costume off. Pretty awkward =P

Definitely going to try to hit up Last Thursday on Alberta. If the weather sucks might just stick to a specific bar. It's also Timedog's birthday on the 1st of March.

Doombear

For the Beerheads out there. Heads up that a few places will be tapping some Pliny the Younger in town in the next week or so. So far the places I know of:

Apex will be tapping it on Saturday March 2 at 11:30AM
1216 SE Division St.
Portland, Oregon 97202

Beermongers may be tapping it according to rumor, but no idea when...
1125 SE Division ST.
Portland, OR 97202

And finally, Saraveza MAY have it on March 4th
1004 N Killingsworth St
Portland, OR 97217

If Pliny is your thing, good luck! My local shop (NWIPA) won't be carrying it, and I am not sure I feel like making a big deal out of it anyway. I will still have my Hop Venom to keep me company.

I already suggested three additions to the places to eat above. Another one that comes to mind is Little Big Burger. I saw an online review call it Portland's answer to In-and-Out but my friend and I went and she said that that isn't a good description. It's still quite good and uses fancy sounding ingredients and has a tiny menu: http://littlebigburger.com/

Also, an awesome place to get ice cream is What's the Scoop. They have a load of unique (but good) flavors and were super friendly and openly suggest you sample pretty much any and all flavors. I did a double scoop with a peach sorbet and black sesame. Strangely really good. http://whatsthescooppdx.com/

Last one I'll add is Killer Burger. Went there a few times and have really enjoyed their burgers. http://killerburger.biz/

And I didn't provide links for a couple last time so here they are...

Grilled Cheese Grill - http://grilledcheesegrill.com/

Slappy Cakes - http://www.slappycakes.com/

I'll suggest some others if they come to mind.

I already suggestedt three additions to the places to eat above. Another one that comes to mind is Little Big Burger. I saw an online review call it Portland's answer to In-and-Out but my friend and I went and she said that that isn't a good description. It's still quite good and uses fancy sounding ingredients and has a tiny menu: http://littlebigburger.com/

Also, an awesome place to get ice cream is What's the Scoop. They have a load of unique (but good) flavors and were super friendly and openly suggest you sample pretty much any and all flavors. I did a double scoop with a peach sorbet and black sesame. Strangely really good. http://whatsthescooppdx.com/

Last one I'll add is Killer Burger. Went there a few times and have really enjoyed their burgers. http://killerburger.biz/

And I didn't provide links for a couple last time so here they are...

Grilled Cheese Grill - http://grilledcheesegrill.com/

Slappy Cakes - http://www.slappycakes.com/

I'll suggest some others if they come to mind.

Killer Burger with that peanut butter burger.

Killer Burger with that peanut butter burger.

I've always been afraid to try that each time I go in. I tend to stick to bacon cheeseburgers (with egg, if offered; hello, Wilbur's Jumbo Deluxe Burger!)

Another place I can't believe I forgot to mention is Cadillac Cafe. I love going there for breakfast and nearly every time have ordered the Bunkhouse Vittles, though admittedly I hate the name. Here's a link for this one: http://www.cadillaccafepdx.com/

I'll likely think of more. Trying to keep myself entertained while being on the phone for two hours now with eBay. Really hate eBay right now.

I'd appreciate some more breakfast spot recommendations. When my father visits we tend to go to breakfast but often stick to Cadillac Cafe before we don't really know other great places.

Top Bottom