• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
And Video Game Wizards is not far enough away from me. I ... that place is bad for my wallet.

Love the Library, the super affordable Banh Mi at An Xuyen, and NWIPA is my favorite new spot.

Boneyard's Hop Venom on tap quite often. If you like IPAs and have yet to try it, you are a fool!

Negroes With Indian/Pakistani Attitude?

Just had one of the best burgers ever at Yakuza in Portland.

esdlJqM.jpg

Chevre, Shoestring Potatoes, Catsup, Spicy Mayo

Looks good. I just went to some place called Noble Rot on Burnside. Their food was alright, but wow are their drinks overpriced. I guess they feel they can charge a ridiculous amount because of their incredible view of downtown from the East side. Worth checking, but too expensive in my opinion!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down. I skipped the one Lui Kang had (?) in December cause I was in a shitty mood, hah. I vote we get burgers, cause now I really want a burger.

I'd be down. I skipped the one Lui Kang had (?) in December cause I was in a shitty mood, hah. I vote we get burgers, cause now I really want a burger.

Man, good call. You know who has an incredibly good burger? Lardo. That double burger is fantastic and well priced. I cannot recommend it enough.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
=o

Ever had one from Brunch Box?

Man, good call. You know who has an incredibly good burger? Lardo. That double burger is fantastic and well priced. I cannot recommend it enough.
Nope and nope, never been to either of those places. I've heard of Brunch Box, but not Lardo. I'm not a big burger connoisseur or anything. I usually just got to Red Robin, haha. Unlimited fries! But I'm definitely down to try out some more of the local options for my cholesterol fix.

Also, if we opt for a bar, I vote the Bye & Bye. I saw Devo mention it last page, and it's one of the few bars in Portland I like. The vibe there can be pretty pretentious at times, but more often it's relaxed and mellow, which I appreciate.

Nope and nope, never been to either of those places. I've heard of Brunch Box, but not Lardo. I'm not a big burger connoisseur or anything. I usually just got to Red Robin, haha. Unlimited fries! But I'm definitely down to try out some more of the local options for my cholesterol fix.

Also, if we opt for a bar, I vote the Bye & Bye. I saw Devo mention it last page, and it's one of the few bars in Portland I like. The vibe there can be pretty pretentious at times, but more often it's relaxed and mellow, which I appreciate.

2310.jpg

gblues

Banned
I just got a sweet job in Portland so I'm going to be moving back next week. I'm pretty stoked! I'll be haunting North Portland.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I just got a sweet job in Portland so I'm going to be moving back next week. I'm pretty stoked! I'll be haunting North Portland.

Congrats!

I've already had one callback, with a Skype interview and another callback scheduled for tomorrow, just from applications sent Monday. Could be a good sign of my chances. One upside of the time difference, I can do things after work and it's still mid-afternoon there, convenient for everyone.

Also, I shifted my schedule, so March 7th will be my big visiting day. I know Thursdays aren't best for meeting everyone, but it worked better for logistics. And airfare.

(I also discovered that Portland is 2,155 miles from my hometown, as the crow flies. Furthest I've ever gone is Orlando, 925 miles. Really says something about scale and how far I'm moving and all that.)

Yeah I didn't think drinking things out of a fucking jar was hipster since I've had the same thing at Caribbean places but what do I know. Everything is hipster now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah I didn't think drinking things out of a fucking jar was hipster since I've had the same thing at Caribbean places but what do I know. Everything is hipster now.

EVERYTHING is hipster here in Portland. I just took out my trash and recycling tonight, but it is only trash collection every other week, and recycling every week!!!! Ohmygawd!

EVERYTHING is hipster here in Portland. I just took out my trash and recycling tonight, but it is only trash collection every other week, and recycling every week!!!! Ohmygawd!

Recycling is every other week in Seattle. Drives me nuts.

They're talking about moving to garbage pick up every other week, which would be fine, as long as they lower our bill. But I doubt it.

Ketch

/sub

I live near Portland! We should have an OreGAF meet up!

This is what it's like when worlds collide?!

Not lying, on the ride in today the girl sitting next to me on tri-met was drinking out of a mason jar WITH a sippy cup lid attached. I thought instantly of your post. Apparently... they are a thing.

What the crap. The appeal of drinking out of a mason jar is the fact that it's glass that you can close and carry around in a bag. If I wanted to drink out of plastic, why not just have a freakin' plastic water bottle?

And yes, I am aware there are glass canteens. However, blowing 20+ on a fancy glass bottle is silly when you can get a case of replaceable jars that do the same thing.

Doombear

What the crap. The appeal of drinking out of a mason jar is the fact that it's glass that you can close and carry around in a bag. If I wanted to drink out of plastic, why not just have a freakin' plastic water bottle?

And yes, I am aware there are glass canteens. However, blowing 20+ on a fancy glass bottle is silly when you can get a case of replaceable jars that do the same thing.

But OMG it is so annoying having to unscrew the lid every time I want a drink of my goddamn hipster moonshine (kombucha, duh)!?, they said.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Rock and roll.... my backyard gets it's own OT. Head up to Portland at least a few times a month to see my sister and some friends that moved from Salem (where i'm at) a few years ago.

I expect many a Rogue Brewery, McMenamins, drugs and so on and so forth.

shout out to Portland City Grill... best fuckin steak/calamari combo dinner I've ever had in my entire life.

But OMG it is so annoying having to unscrew the lid every time I want a drink of my goddamn hipster moonshine (kombucha, duh)!?, they said.

Not like there are a million other drink containers you have to unscrew to drink out of or anything... My homemade kombucha does just fine in mason jars, thank you very much. :p

Oh, and they prolly shouldn't be opening anything with liquid in it on the goddamn stop-at-every-fucking-light-this-morning MAX train anyway. That is a recipe for a long day of wearing coffee/tea/kombucha pants, haha

Doombear

I have never had it >.> With my luck I would end up loving it.

Keep seeing the Kookoolan Farms Kombucha at my bottle shop. I should just try it. Right? Shit... I am scared.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Rock and roll.... my backyard gets it's own OT. Head up to Portland at least a few times a month to see my sister and some friends that moved from Salem (where i'm at) a few years ago.

I expect many a Rogue Brewery, McMenamins, drugs and so on and so forth.

shout out to Portland City Grill... best fuckin steak/calamari combo dinner I've ever had in my entire life.

Only if you want the worst service in Oregon. I swear they will not hire competent servers.

Only if you want the worst service in Oregon. I swear they will not hire competent servers.

Their fries are worse than their service, in my opinion. At least they have tots to pick up the awful, awful slack.

I have never had it >.> With my luck I would end up loving it.

Keep seeing the Kookoolan Farms Kombucha at my bottle shop. I should just try it. Right? Shit... I am scared.

That stuff looks super fancy... I'm curious now :( In general, it's a little weird at first, but it's very refreshing and different. I mean, y'won't know 'til you try it!

Doombear

I want my goddamn tater tots and Ruby Ale right now!

So I have been meaning to ask in here, has anyone been to Kalé? I have been meaning to try it out and have heard a few good things. Site is here - Kalé PDX

Japanese Curry. Simple. I want to go before it warms up a bit more, seems like the perfect 'winter' food.

In general, it's a little weird at first, but it's very refreshing and different. I mean, y'won't know 'til you try it!

Fine! I will stop at the bottle shop on my way home. I will report back!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I recommend GT's Gingerberry flavor for folks who are new to kombucha. It's pretty mild.

Doombear

So jumping right into a 1.5% bottle is not a great plan? Ha. I figured deep end. Though I am sure that whether it is .5 or 1.5 there is still plenty of variance in taste. I don't think they carry any other Kombucha, being a beer/bottle shop but I will look for that next time I am somewhere that does.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Oh, and they prolly shouldn't be opening anything with liquid in it on the goddamn stop-at-every-fucking-light-this-morning MAX train anyway. That is a recipe for a long day of wearing coffee/tea/kombucha pants, haha

That totally sounds like it'd be a thing.

(Especially since coffee tights are a thing.)

Doombear

I am just all over in this topic today, but I have also been meaning to ask, is anyone planning on going to Wizard World Portland this month? Just got our tickets.

EDIT: Oh man. Ok so this Kookoolan Kombucha business is... I was just not expecting it to be so sweet. Very very little vinegar taste. I was expecting a much more sour taste. I like it! But it is actually kind of disappointing that it is so sweet. I will have to try the GT Gingerberry, although the Gingerade sounds even better.

Doombear

Oh nice! That deal looks like it is for Sunday? I am going to pass that on to a friend of mine that is on the fence because of price. It would suck to not be able to go with him (daughter and myself are going Saturday) but if this sways him enough so that he still goes... success.

Going to be crazy, should be a lot of fun. Just not for my wallet =(

EDIT: Oh nice, I read further. So that is essentially a mini-VIP ticket. You get the early access (30 minutes) and a few of the lithographs. Very nice.

Anyone know where they're showing Walking Dead in town? I thought places like the Hollywood got a cease and desist...

We did. Us and Alamo Drafthouse. The following week it was Bagdad & Clinton Street. the following week it was basically every other theater in the country that had been doing it.

Basically, your best bet is hitting up a bar w/ a projection screen and asking if they'll put it on. I think Tanker still shows episodes. I dunno if Backstage at the Bagdad will do it, but I bet if you ask, they will.

Top Bottom