• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Doombear

For what it is worth, I have lived all over this city. Every quadrant, and one thing has not changed in that time. It is damned easy to get most anywhere in this city without a car if you have the time. Biking of course. But know that public transportation in this city is generally rated in the top 5 in the country, taking into account ease of use, safety, ridership and investment. Tri-met is pretty badass in a pinch or as a full time transportation option.

That said, are you planning a visit before you move or just a straight move? It can be hard to really wrap your head around this city with only second or third hand knowledge of it. The map above will have a good range of living prices in that circled area, but quite a few very expensive and sought after places too due to the nature of those areas. Mississippi, Hawthorne, Alberta... hugely popular, with a lot of brand new (and gorgeous) homes, condos and apartments.

I myself live in that glob, in the Concordia neighborhood.

Also, just want to clarify: There's nothing at all wrong with living east of 82nd. It's just one of Portland's goofy fucking hangups. There's a lot of em. This city can be REALLY precious and provincial at times, and it's pretty crazy how quick things you'd think are weird (Why do they act like driving to Tualatin is such a chore? Why is Gresham considered Hell on Earth) become part of your own thought process after only a few short months.

Here's an interesting neighborhood to try out: Foster. Out of nowhere a couple years ago, Foster, between 50th and 74th, became a legitimately interesting neighborhood, filled with good restaurants, nice bars, and decent parks. I don't know if cost of living has shot up in response yet, but it's definitely a LOT more desirable than it was just 4 years ago.

Doombear

Here's an interesting neighborhood to try out: Foster.

Kind of funny you would mention that, as that would be my current neighborhood for the last 7 years. I have seen it change a fair amount, though still quite slowly overall. I hope it keeps on going. Sadly the neighborhood comic shop is gone, RIP Guapo! Long Live Bar Carlo!

Kind of funny you would mention that, as that would be my current neighborhood for the last 7 years. I have seen it change a fair amount, though still quite slowly overall. I hope it keeps on going. Sadly the neighborhood comic shop is gone, RIP Guapo! Long Live Bar Carlo!

NICE.

And yes, RIP Guapo.

Also, the best breakfast in the entire city is located in that neighborhood: Arleta Library Cafe.

O'Malley's is a damned fun bar, too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I used to drive on Foster beginning off of Powell when I lived with my parents for a good 6+ years. That place has changed drastically.

Not to mention the fact that ten years ago, Sunnyside past a certain point was just empty hills.

Doombear

And Video Game Wizards is not far enough away from me. I ... that place is bad for my wallet.

Love the Library, the super affordable Banh Mi at An Xuyen, and NWIPA is my favorite new spot.

Boneyard's Hop Venom on tap quite often. If you like IPAs and have yet to try it, you are a fool!

Dartastic

Those are all ridiculous expensive areas.

$1,200/mo? Start looking at Hillsboro or Sherwood.
Ridiculously expensive? No, not really. With that kind of budget for rent they could live almost anywhere in the city. I live off Belmont and 20th and I only pay 585. I live in a one bedroom with a shared kitchen and bath.

Edit - ah I finished reading the the thread. But yeah. With that budget for rent they can live anywhere.Liu Kang, whereish on Belmont are you?

I'll take that as a probable then. :)

Alright, folks, who is interested in a GAF meetup on February 1 or 2? Location TBA, but probably either downtown or SE around Hawthorne area.

I might be in town for my dad's birthday, depends how heavy the class load is that week. Had fun last time.

Sumidor

What are people's recommendations for living at mid twenties? Outgoing person, enjoys going out, social, and looking for nicer livng. Do houses exist in these areas or is it strictly apartments? Rent around 1,200 a month??

If I were you, I'd live in NE Portland. Especially around Mississippi area. There's all kind of bars and great restaurants. I'm not really sure of what the pricing is for that area though.

reilo

If I were you, I'd live in NE Portland. Especially around Mississippi area. There's all kind of bars and great restaurants. I'm not really sure of what the pricing is for that area though.

I'll tell ya: too much for what you're getting.

(I lived on Mississippi for 18 months and they jacked up my rent by $225/mo to "market rate")

Doombear

Mississippi is pretty crazy right now. There are some places in that range but reilo is spot on, you could get way more for way less a bit farther away. Mississippi has taken off in the last few years as far as being a 'destination'. You have seen a lot of places open up additional shops out there (LittleBigBurger, Bishops, Laughing Planet, CD Game Exchange) or just moving their shop out there altogether (Missing Link Toys).

It is a great few blocks of shopping though, and it is really drawing people over there. Real fun to park...

But yeah, a few of the newer places like the Mississippi Lofts are an indication of most of the prices you will find on the Avenue. Off the Ave. it is mostly houses, and you could likely find something more affordable there.

Dartastic

Baby Ketten has a lock on that shit. Not surprised! They used to do a Baby Baby Ketten one for wee littles and it was awesome to take our daughter to.
I'm not surprised either. I know some of the regulars and it's a great deal of fun. I haven't been in a while though. I do think that the article is kinda a crock of bullshit though, and totally feeds into the whole "Portlandia" vibe of our city. Whatever.

Mostly everyone knows that the Sellwood bridge is being UPGRADED! Which is both good and bad, in that its creating a nightmare currently for traffic, but in the end will be well worth it. Anyway, that being said check out this sweet link for daily/weekly/monthly time lapse videos of the project. Pretty dope! And no need to stand in the cold watching nothing happening!

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?p=construction-camera

reilo

Mostly everyone knows that the Sellwood bridge is being UPGRADED! Which is both good and bad, in that its creating a nightmare currently for traffic, but in the end will be well worth it. Anyway, that being said check out this sweet link for daily/weekly/monthly time lapse videos of the project. Pretty dope! And no need to stand in the cold watching nothing happening!

http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/?p=construction-camera

The video of them moving the truss is so fucking cool.

So to make looking through Craiglist easier, what's the good Zip Codes to look at for living?

PDXZipMap1.jpg

Interests would be restaurants, bars, parks, malls.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If I were a young dude moving to Portland with no kids, I'd be targeting 97214.

That's Buckman, right? (In case you're searching by names.)

Also, this might be interesting for assessing neighborhoods. Median incomes by census area, probably no real surprises to residents but good to know exactly where the rich areas (and thus more expensive to live, likely) are.

(And of course my current neighborhood on the site is much bluer than I am...)

Minutes away! I am near Civil Rights Junction (that's what I like to call it), ie Rosa Parks and MLK.

Should totally meet on that street again unless other peeps want to chime in about where they are. Don't want to be too selfish but I like it because we can walk there and don't have a car.

Kad5

I will say that while I enjoy living in sunny california that if I ever move out, Oregon (specifically Portland) would probably be the next place i'd live in if I had to move out of the state.

That's Buckman, right? (In case you're searching by names.)

Also, this might be interesting for assessing neighborhoods. Median incomes by census area, probably no real surprises to residents but good to know exactly where the rich areas (and thus more expensive to live, likely) are.

(And of course my current neighborhood on the site is much bluer than I am...)

Same here. I'm in Concordia and I'm damn sure nowhere NEAR as blue as that map is looking.

I know the Space Room has kind of a rep as a meat-market at times, but for real - the amount of alcohol they put into their drinks is borderline criminal. Their pours are HEAVY. And if you time your drink order just right, they'll kill a bottle into your glass just because they'd rather have done with it than have to worry about interrupting their flow by cracking a new one.

I've seen Long Islands become Long Continents like it wasn't a thing.

I know the Space Room has kind of a rep as a meat-market at times, but for real - the amount of alcohol they put into their drinks is borderline criminal. Their pours are HEAVY. And if you time your drink order just right, they'll kill a bottle into your glass just because they'd rather have done with it than have to worry about interrupting their flow by cracking a new one.

Honestly when I got here I was like "they are making my shit strong" at many of the bars I've been too. At least on Alberta and Hawthorne anyway.

Honestly when I got here I was like "they are making my shit strong" at many of the bars I've been too. At least on Alberta and Hawthorne anyway.

The pours stay heavy on Hawthorne. I honestly believe Space Room and Bar of the Gods, along with Tanker and Tabor, are the reason. It's hard not to keep up when you know anyone can stumble down the street and get like 3 shots in their mixed drink. You wanna keep em at your bar, you better be pretty damned liberal with your pour.

Hell, even the Bagdad Theater will top you up respectably. I've gotten hot toddies there that I'm pretty sure are just triples with a little honey/lemon.

I can vouch for this! There used to be a great pubquiz there by a guy named JPP and when we rolled in for it, the good folks at the Space Room always poured heavy. Its great!

Yay Space Room! I haven't been there in ages, but fuck yeah, that is a helluva alchie bar. So awesome haha <3

Dartastic

The pours stay heavy on Hawthorne. I honestly believe Space Room and Bar of the Gods, along with Tanker and Tabor, are the reason. It's hard not to keep up when you know anyone can stumble down the street and get like 3 shots in their mixed drink. You wanna keep em at your bar, you better be pretty damned liberal with your pour.

Hell, even the Bagdad Theater will top you up respectably. I've gotten hot toddies there that I'm pretty sure are just triples with a little honey/lemon.

Yay Space Room! I haven't been there in ages, but fuck yeah, that is a helluva alchie bar. So awesome haha <3
Huh. Have any of you guys heard of PIG Squad? Have you gone to any of their meetings? They've had some get togethers at the Space Room.

Hop

I think March 8th is going to be my "evaluate the city"/"do a fuckton of job interviews" day. Fly in the 7th, out the 9th. Got a hotel lined up, airfare is relatively cheap. Now I just need to line up that fuckton of interviews.

So if anyone wants to meet your latest relatively-awkward potential-transplant, I'll probably want a few drinks at the end of that day!

Did people still want to meet up one in the next few weeks?

I'm still up for a meetup whenever. Maybe march 8th? for charron?

+1 for the space room as meetup spot. I really like the atmosphere there.

We can always form a nerd herd, and stumble down hawthorne. Belmont is close too. Maybe some drunk ddr at wunderland?.

I'm still up for a meetup whenever. Maybe march 8th? for charron?

+1 for the space room as meetup spot. I really like the atmosphere there.

We can always form a nerd herd, and stumble down hawthorne. Belmont is close too. Maybe some drunk ddr at wunderland?.

Can do one then but maybe one before then? Also I want to hit up a Last Thursday on Alberta at some point.

Totally. I think once a month would be cool actually, build a group of regulars.

Last thursday is a great idea. When does that start, in may?

Goes on in the winter months too but it's done inside of the galleries/bars participating rather than out on the street.

Hop

Yea, don't hold up anything on account of me. My timeline isn't even locked in yet, for all I know I might be there for March's Last Thursday.

Top Bottom