• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

I love how the city just goes to shit in the snow, best times ever.

Haha! Well, it would be a waste of resources to be ready for a blizzard every year, cause it just doesn't happen. :\ So for locals its funny and frustrating to watch, but everyone else thinks the people here are incompetent :| Yeah well, we don't get snow, why are they surprised when we can't drive in it?! Blerg!

Stupid sun came in and now it's just raining :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Haha! Well, it would be a waste of resources to be ready for a blizzard every year, cause it just doesn't happen. :\ So for locals its funny and frustrating to watch, but everyone else thinks the people here are incompetent :| Yeah well, we don't get snow, why are they surprised when we can't drive in it?! Blerg!

Stupid sun came in and now it's just raining :(

A few inches is not a blizzard (that is all we ever really get it seems). I would hope that people realize that even if they own an SUV or a 4-Wheel Drive Subaru that they cannot just maintain the same speeds as on a regular day. And drivers around here even seem scared of the rain sometimes, it is maddening and I am a native.

A few inches is not a blizzard (that is all we ever really get it seems). I would hope that people realize that even if they own an SUV or a 4-Wheel Drive Subaru that they cannot just maintain the same speeds as on a regular day. And drivers around here even seem scared of the rain sometimes, it is maddening and I am a native.

Oh no no, I was thinking more along the lines of what happened in 2004 and... one other year since then (2006 or 2008 or something, I can't remember), where the whole city shut down... at least a foot or two of snow. Not a slushy sprinkle or anything.

Shit man, people slow down when it starts raining after being dry for a week; snow just makes it worse LOL

Edit to bold: Yeah, me too! Seriously. I've never understood it either!

Doombear

And drivers around here even seem scared of the rain sometimes, it is maddening and I am a native.

Shit man, people slow down when it starts raining after being dry for a week; snow just makes it worse LOL

Oh man, every year once the summer ends and rains come back in it is like everyone is learning how to drive all over again. Pretty astounding. As a pedestrian 90% of the time, it is a bit scary.

I remember the crazy winter snow dump in 2008. It was awesome. Well, it shut everything down and caused plenty of problems, but it was still pretty awesome. I remember 2003-2004's winter also and while that closed down the airport, it wasn't as harsh downtown. 2008 dumped directly on the city, in addition to lasting at least two weeks compared to the 2004 snow which lasted a little over 10 days.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing anything remotely close to that this winter =(

You can't go wrong doing any of ShanRock's triviologies. She's pretty much the high priestess/empress of trivia in the city. She does themed trivia nights at the East Burn Sunday nights at 6

to indulge a little self-promotion, I co-host Portland Geek Trivia, sponsored by Things From Another World. It happens every other Tuesday, and recently got featured on KGW. It fills the Kennedy School theater, and Things kicks down over $200 in prizes every time. Bonus fun: We handle tiebreakers by making people play Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter on the theater screen. The crowd gets INTO that shit.

Roy Smallwood's Quizzy! is really fun, and really challenging, which is amazing because he does it like 4 days a week. I don't know how he still has all of his mental faculties, but his quizzes are really sharp.

And once again, meteorologists here in town show their ass by predicting accumulations of up to an inch within the city limits - SECOND STRAIGHT NIGHT IN A ROW - and got nothing but wet streets.

I can't remember a time in which they've ever reliably predicted a snowfall of any kind. It always catches them by surprise, leading to fleets of news trucks screaming for an overpass so a bewildered newscaster can poke at a lump of snow on the ground with his toe.

And once again, meteorologists here in town show their ass by predicting accumulations of up to an inch within the city limits - SECOND STRAIGHT NIGHT IN A ROW - and got nothing but wet streets.

I can't remember a time in which they've ever reliably predicted a snowfall of any kind. It always catches them by surprise, leading to fleets of news trucks screaming for an overpass so a bewildered newscaster can poke at a lump of snow on the ground with his toe.

I'd watch this.

Wait, I mean I DO watch this.

But honestly... the weather around here is more of a suggestion than a true prediction :\ There've been a few storms that have come around that hit areas that weren't predicted, as well as the "zomg, snow" with nothing but rain.

The latter is the most depressing :(

Sumidor

What is everyone planning to do for NYE? I've heard of a few things going on at the Red Lion, Urban Studio, Fez... But still not 100% on where to go.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I know that there's a NYE party at Left Bank. $75 cover, but all of the alcohol is free.

xxracerxx

I'd come out for a meetup for sure. I'm on the eastside, but would'nt mind going downtown or something.

Downtown is too expensive at most places, though I do love me some Low Brow.

I may be available but since the wife and I are in the middle of buying a house I might be poor and/or busy with the home closing.

i just started watching portlandia for the first time .. how real is it

Haven't seen an entire episode, but this one hit home:

tumblr_mb0hknoHl11qa2tzxo1_500.gif

I'll take that as a probable then. :)

Alright, folks, who is interested in a GAF meetup on February 1 or 2? Location TBA, but probably either downtown or SE around Hawthorne area.

xxracerxx

Hey all, my friend's bike was just stolen from in front of my building. Please of you see this bike get ahold of the authorities or me. Here is a picture (sorry if the image is large, on phone) of the bike:

24KHI.jpg

Description: SWOBO Del Norte, grey frame with red rims and chain, and silver handle bar tape. There is a shopping cart logo on many of the pieces of the bike and the set has some grey camo on it.

xxracerxx

Update! Never doubt the kindness of strangers in Portland. A random guy overheard some meth heads talking about a stolen bike and noticed the bike was way too nice for them. He checked bikeportland.org's stolen bike forum and saw my friend's post and confronted the meth heads. Got the bike back and brought it by today. Simply amazing.

woodchuck

I'm taking the max back to the airport right now. I had a great time in the city. Did all the touristy stuff in downtown/pearl...voodoo donuts, powells books, walked around the pearl district, random coffee shops, deschutes, ate at various food carts.

I wish I had more time in Portland so I could check out the area east of the river. Thanks for the recommendation for Apex...next time I will hit that up. I was here for an interview, and from my limited time here, i could definitely see myself living in Portland.

I'm taking the max back to the airport right now. I had a great time in the city. Did all the touristy stuff in downtown/pearl...voodoo donuts, powells books, walked around the pearl district, random coffee shops, deschutes, ate at various food carts.

I wish I had more time in Portland so I could check out the area east of the river. Thanks for the recommendation for Apex...next time I will hit that up. I was here for an interview, and from my limited time here, i could definitely see myself living in Portland.

The east is much different than the west. Both have great parts! We welcome your return!

I feel the need to keep this thread going, because I live here damn it! I thought someone had also mentioned that there was a meetup planned? Anyway, I will contribute with places I eat, because I love eating! My latest two places just happen to be on Hawthorne, and being that I've only lived here for a little over a year, I figured I'd give them a try after a lot of people recommended them.

1) Fried Egg I'm in Love - Two of my close Portland friends recommended this, a foodcart they enjoy, so I went there not knowing anything about how it would be prepared etc. I got the 'signature' item, the Yolko Ono. Their website can describe in detail what I cant from memory, but what I remember it being is really good. It was a fried egg, over easy, on a sourdough bun with a sausage patty and what I believe was pesto sauce and parmesan cheese. It was VERY good, when I got to the center, I didnt expect it, but the yolk busted open and poured its gooy goodness all over the sandwich. It was really damn good, and warm on a cold Saturday! I highly recommend it, their prices are reasonable, if not slightly spendy. But worth it IMHO!

http://www.friedegglove.com/

2)Waffle Window - This place people say is a rite of passage, and seriously cannot believe it took me so long to go here. I am not a big breakfast person, nor am I someone who eats a lot of pastries or starchy foods - I just dont like them that much. HOWEVER, after much love from my best friend regarding this place, I had to visit. So I swung in on a Sunday morning, tried Saturday but it was CRAZY busy, which is apparently the norm. They serve a bunch of different sweet and savory waffles to satisfy your pallet, but being who I am, I went with the recommendation of the 3 B's. A savory mix of Brie, Basil, and Bacon. I ordered to go, swung into that Starbucks thats nearby, got a coffee and ate the waffle. I was shocked on how good it was. Now, I havent had many waffles in my life (sadly), but I didnt know that the batter was suppose to be slightly sweet. They include a peach or something jam, but I didnt use it. The combination of savory and slightly sweet waffle is really something you have to experience. I was devouring the thing by the end, wishing almost that I had gotten two! I cant wait to go back and try their other styles - or even their season affairs. I highly recommend the window, for a smallish snack that wont leave you hungry. Also, it was way cheaper than I thought! I think they start at $3 and go up a bit to 5-6$ if you get a bunch of extras. You should go there, Ill go with you!!

http://wafflewindow.com/

Thats all for now!

What are people's recommendations for living at mid twenties? Outgoing person, enjoys going out, social, and looking for nicer livng. Do houses exist in these areas or is it strictly apartments? Rent around 1,200 a month??

xxracerxx

What are people's recommendations for living at mid twenties? Outgoing person, enjoys going out, social, and looking for nicer livng. Do houses exist in these areas or is it strictly apartments? Rent around 1,200 a month??
You can live very comfortably on $1,200 a month here. You can live in an awesome house if you have roommates.

You can live very comfortably on $1,200 a month here. You can live in an awesome house if you have roommates.

A girlfriend. I would probably take on $800 or $700 and she would do the rest. What would be a good area for that kind of budget with a good bar scene? Or area with things going on? Literally know nothing have never been to Oregon before and am coming from Sheboygan Wisconsin.

xxracerxx

A girlfriend. I would probably take on $800 or $700 and she would do the rest. What would be a good area for that kind of budget with a good bar scene? Or area with things going on? Literally know nothing have never been to Oregon before and am coming from Sheboygan Wisconsin.
Inner SE, Hawthorne/Division area or Stark area. NE areas near Alberta or Mississippi streets. You could live in the NW (I live there now) but the bar scene has fallen far and is just full of straight out of college douchebags. There are some amazing dive bars though in my neighborhood (Tony's I love you).

reilo

Inner SE, Hawthorne/Division area or Stark area. NE areas near Alberta or Mississippi streets. You could live in the NW (I live there now) but the bar scene has fallen far and is just full of straight out of college douchebags. There are some amazing dive bars though in my neighborhood (Tony's I love you).

Those are all ridiculous expensive areas.

$1,200/mo? Start looking at Hillsboro or Sherwood.

xxracerxx

Those are all ridiculous expensive areas.

$1,200/mo? Start looking at Hillsboro or Sherwood.
You can find great places for less than 1200 a month in those areas. Sure it may not be huge but you can find something. House shares and/or apartments are well within range for him. And who moves to Portland to live in Hillsboro or Sherwood? Those areas are the perfect spot for a mid-twenties couple that wants to take full advantage of the city.

Someone looking for good bars in their mid-twenties does NOT want to end up in fucking Sherwood.

However, someone looking for good bars in their mid-twenties should be ready to rent a rickety 1 bedroom in SE for way more than its worth.

You can probably swing something 500ft and livable in NE and SE. You probably don't wanna go too much further east than 68th, although you're going to learn that after 5 minutes of being here, that anything east of 82nd, regardless of whether it's actually in Portland or not (it is) might as well be outer Siberia for all this city is concerned. And if you choose to reside there, prepare for the stutter and "uh..." that will follow when your friends discover this fact shortly after you've invited them over. And then prepare for the "I don't know... that's kinda out there..."

reilo

You can find great places for less than 1200 a month in those areas. Sure it may not be huge but you can find something. House shares and/or apartments are well within range for him. And who moves to Portland to live in Hillsboro or Sherwood? Those areas are the perfect spot for a mid-twenties couple that wants to take full advantage of the city.

Sure you can, for like $700-1000/mo -- I know. I've done it. But that doesn't leave much room to operate to actually visit those bars when your income is $1,200/mo.

Do you make $1,200/mo?

The $1,200/month was a figure I was willing to spend on housing. I would be making more than that on a monthly basis.

I think it would be weird to adjust to though. Currently I live on a 2 bedroom/one bath house that is completely rennovated, full washer and dryer, full basement for storage and a one car garage for $800 a month (which I split with the girlfriend). But I guess what's what happens when you live in the boonies...

I'm confused at the areas now. Apparently avoid east of 86th but what would be decent areas for what I'm willing to spend?

reilo

He said RENT for $1,200 a month, not income.

Yeah, if he's looking for spots anywhere between 1000-1200 a month, he can probably find a pretty decent sized 1br/1ba in the more desirable areas of the city after a week or so of judicious hunting.

OH

Carry on. I read your statement as "live very comfortably on $1,200/mo" and ran with "live on $1,200/mo comfortably".

Yeah, you can easily find that in those areas then.

xxracerxx

I think it would be weird to adjust to though. Currently I live on a 2 bedroom/one bath house that is completely rennovated, full washer and dryer, full basement for storage and a one car garage for $800 a month (which I split with the girlfriend). But I guess what's what happens when you live in the boonies...?

You are definitely not going to get that unless you live with more than your GF.

I'm confused at the areas now. Apparently avoid east of 86th but what would be decent areas for what I'm willing to spend?

Here is a quick map that I found then outlined where it is easy to use a bike to get around and are great areas (in my opinion) to live in.

P8w03.jpg

Source of image

FWIW, I live in the Brooklyn hood, and pay a bit less than 800$ for a 2bd place. On site laundry and everything except elec. is included.

Top Bottom