• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Doombear

As a native of almost 32 yrs, I demand you put Hopworks in the bar/brewery section. Their IPA is GODLIKE!
I prefer their seasonal and limited run stuff much more, and they are much more fun for me to take pictures of =P

ibjQRSha95pLOI.jpg

Anyone else with young kids monitoring this thread? I'd love to compare notes sometime about things to do with them. I've been here 5 years and I still find out about new points of interest in the metro area.

My daughter is starting to age out of a few of the Portland staples at 9, but I can't count how many times we have been to:
OMSI
Children's Museum
Art Museum
Wunderland Nickel Arcade/Avalon Theater
Oregon Zoo
Oaks Park Roller Rink/Park

Children's Theaters
Oregon Children's Theater
Tears of Joy Theatre
Imago does runs of child friendly shows. ZooZoo for example! Very small and very friendly theatre.

Holiday Express Train? Old school steam engine ride with Santa on board?

Moving farther out you have:
Enchanted Forest - my daughter was actually terrified the first time we went there, some of their older statues can be a bit... well yeah. She loved it the next year though.
The Newport Aquarium
Seaside, OR (small Aquarium there, you can feed seals, etc.)
Sealion Caves in Florence

Then there are hikes or places like Crater Lake, kid trails, OMSI sleepovers, Japanese Gardens (my daughter is infatuated with all things Japan) plenty of places in Southern Washington like Mt St. Helens or Great Wolf Lodge a bit farther north, and on and on. Hope at least some of these help though after 5 years here I would imagine you would have heard of or done most of these if they are of interest.

All depends on what your child likes in the end I suppose.

Food is alright. It's hard to fuck up English cuisine. Either boil or deep-fry the hell out of whatever you're going to put into your face. Is it better than Moon & Sixpence or Horse Brass? Nah. I wouldn't put their cuisine up there with them yet (and it definitely doesn't have the beer selection of either joint) but it's not bad pub grub, and the price is cheap.

The TARDIS room is interesting, in that it's basically a regular old british-styled pub, but there are Doctor Who books on the shelves, and the bathroom doors are painted blue, and there's a couple posters and standees there - but they don't go whole hog and paint the insides to look like any iteration of TARDIS, or theme the rooms beyond just having Doctor Who knick-knacks inside.

But the people who run it really do love Who. It's not artificial, they're not preying on Portland's quirky nature. They're just Who-nerds who happen to run a bar/restaurant. I live about 5 minutes away, I've gone a couple times, never had a bad time.

Got some really good udon (even had bulgogi in it) and a Bacon topped sushi roll over at Hana on Alberta the other night. Given the shit weather the noodles were definitely comforting.

Dartastic

The TARDIS Room! Great place.

Food is alright. It's hard to fuck up English cuisine. Either boil or deep-fry the hell out of whatever you're going to put into your face. Is it better than Moon & Sixpence or Horse Brass? Nah. I wouldn't put their cuisine up there with them yet (and it definitely doesn't have the beer selection of either joint) but it's not bad pub grub, and the price is cheap.

The TARDIS room is interesting, in that it's basically a regular old british-styled pub, but there are Doctor Who books on the shelves, and the bathroom doors are painted blue, and there's a couple posters and standees there - but they don't go whole hog and paint the insides to look like any iteration of TARDIS, or theme the rooms beyond just having Doctor Who knick-knacks inside.

But the people who run it really do love Who. It's not artificial, they're not preying on Portland's quirky nature. They're just Who-nerds who happen to run a bar/restaurant. I live about 5 minutes away, I've gone a couple times, never had a bad time.
I had fun that night. I also called Timedog a lot drunkenly and harassed him to come by and he didn't. Whomp. Hahaha.

I didn't eat much but the chips were good. Like, really good IMO. Also, at every turn there was another Doctor Who standup, which was pretty fun. Heh. I kinda don't really like Horse Brass anymore. I had a really bad experience there while trying to watch an out of town Timbers game. Like, an incredibly bullshit, rude, shitty experience that resulted in me missing the first half of the game. I do like Moon and Sixpence though.

Got some really good udon (even had bulgogi in it) and a Bacon topped sushi roll over at Hana on Alberta the other night. Given the shit weather the noodles were definitely comforting.

Hey it was sunny yesterday! :)

I try to traditionally go to a hot dog joint on wednesday for hump day hot dogs with friends. Zachs is pretty good, I highly recommend it! They're up on Hawthorne, bunch of choices of dogs! Great drinks too, full bar!

Hello Portland people! Let's hang out. Mash Tun on Alberta, 8pm Saturday night. If they're busy like most good places are on the weekend, there are plenty of nearby options.

Hopworks will forever get a pass from me solely due to their creation of a "Terry" Porter, in honor of the best point guard the Blazers ever had (yes, even better than Roy)

I thought I included hopworks in my list earlier. Oops.

And terry porter was definitely a better point guard than the shooting guard brandon roy.

Doombear

Shooting reported at Clackamas Town Center

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – Somebody fired dozens of shots in the food court at Clackamas Town Center on Tuesday afternoon, according to witnesses.

KATU reporter Anna Canzano said her husband, Oregonian sports columnist John Canzano, was in pulling up to the mall when the shooting happened. He reported hearing around 60 shots from the food court.

Canzano reported seeing people at the mall crying and distraught as police officers swarmed the mall.

It’s not clear if anybody was hit or who the shooter is.

The shooting happened around 3:20 p.m.

This story will be updated

LINK

Hope y'all alright...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Portland people! Let's hang out. Mash Tun on Alberta, 8pm Saturday night. If they're busy like most good places are on the weekend, there are plenty of nearby options.
Hey, let's delay this by 30 minutes, and everyone who's going should also go to my Halo LAN first! It's 4pm - 8pm at Guardian Games (303 SE 3rd)! Four hours, five bucks!

LKBAP, I'm gonna PM you my phone number. If you want, text me and I'll text you after the LAN is over so I can meet up with you and PortlandGAF. Or you should just come to the LAN again!

IceMarker

Damn I didn't know so many people from Oregon posted on GAF, feels good knowing I'm not the only one. Born in Portland and raised southeast of Portland.

leroidys

Hey guys,

I'm desperately trying to figure out what to get my brother for Christmas, and thought you may be able to help out.

My brother is 29, moved to Portland 2 years ago, and is a pretty typical Portlander. Artist, avante-garde musician, likes coffee, all that. Anything you could recommend as a thoughtful gift? Maybe gift cards or tickets to something in the city or nearby?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey guys,

I'm desperately trying to figure out what to get my brother for Christmas, and thought you may be able to help out.

My brother is 29, moved to Portland 2 years ago, and is a pretty typical Portlander. Artist, avante-garde musician, likes coffee, all that. Anything you could recommend as a thoughtful gift? Maybe gift cards or tickets to something in the city or nearby?

What is your budget? Does he live alone? Age?

It's snowing a little bit here, too (OC area)! Pretty light, and no way in hell it'll stick, but still pretty to watch :) Hopefully this won't be the last of it...

Top Bottom