• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ July 2015: Rocket League, Styx, rain, Mousecraft, Geometry Wars 3, Entwined

Hasney

Why? I don't have an X1 and don't keep up on its releases but if GWG has AC for X1 why is it crazy to want retail games on the competing service?

Because using retail games as a catch all is hilarious. Putty Squad came in a box and can probably be bought for $6 like Black Flag. But I'm sure people still wouldn't be happy. Maybe they'll say AAA that next time and I mean if you want a games with a budget that came in a box, I don't think Thief was cheap no matter how bad it looks or plays. And when that happens, I'll be missing the days we got good games goddamn debuting on this service, which is fantastic.

Ground Zeroes came out in a box on a shelf and that was just last month!
and I manager to get more hours out of it than Black Flag... And I finished Black Flag

People need to talk specifics because "BUT RETAIL GAMEZ" really makes me have to try hard to not invalidate any other points a post might have.

EDIT: and Injustice as pointed out on an earlier page. See, we do get ancient crusty old cross gen games too!

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I stopped expecting to see games I actually wanted to play a while back (that I don't already own), so Rocket League looks great to me

BrunoM

I think a lot of people forget about the amount of stellar months we've had over the years. I remember when ppl lost their shit that Sleeping Dogs was a PS+ title less than 6 months after release. Then we've had Batman Arkham City, MGS Revengeance, Dragon's Dogma, Okami just to name a few.

PS+ has had more great releases than GwG has hands down but we shouldn't be comparing anyway.

Apathy

Why? I don't have an X1 and don't keep up on its releases but if GWG has AC for X1 why is it crazy to want retail games on the competing service?

Guess you chose to skip a bunch of post countering this but here goes again. Aside from the fact that neither Sony nor Microsoft know what games they are going to offer every month (so how would you compete to counter), you're comparing an almost 2 year old game vs a brand new one.

"Well it's because I want retail releases"

Well PS+ has had 2 retail games so far and now, with Black Flag, Microsoft twill have 2 retail releases, so it's Microsoft catching up.

But hey, lets not let facts get in the way of people wanting to downplay a service.

Honestly sometimes I wish they had a PayPal donate button or something, let us show our appreciation to the devs directly.

It has DLC (cars/decals/arenas i think) you can purchase if you really want to help the developers. I mean they get paid per download with PS+ so it's not like they are giving away the game, and I'm sure they did a cost/benefit analysis to take a hit per each unit downloaded but in total get much more downloads from people wanting to check it out that they would come up ahead of what they expected to just sell outright if it were not on PS+.

Apathy

Next month's PS4 PS+ games: The Escapists and Shadow Warriror.

See? Retail games!

I just find the logic of some people so dumb. $50 a year is not getting you AAA retail games on release day or anywhere near close every month, it would be financial suicide, it doesn't take a math-magician to see that. The fact we've gotten some kick ass small games ($15-$20) on release date is amazing value.

I must say, I like the updated PS app with the integrated Store.

I forgot that the EU PS+ games were already out today instead of tomorrow. I usually start the downloads from work.
But now I was already on my way home. However, while shopping for groceries I managed to quickly "buy" the games and start the downloads from my phone to have some of the downloads finished before coming home haha.

neoism

goddamn it they really need to fix the games lineup preview thing geo wars 3 is under ps3 and rain under vita..

WWWWHHHHHYYYY the fuck isn't geo wars 3 cross buy for ps4...

other than rocket league this is a shitty month... last month was terrible though.
:/

MMaRsu

Banned
goddamn it they really need to fix the games lineup preview thing geo wars 3 is under ps3 and rain under vita..

WWWWHHHHHYYYY the fuck isn't geo wars 3 cross buy for ps4...

other than rocket league this is a shitty month... last month was terrible though.
:/

Dont worry geo wars 3 sucks compared to the bliss of 2.

Ledhead

Tried to download Styx and Rocket League last night but the store was having issues. I'll probably start the downloads when I get home from work tonight. Unfortunately, I don't think i'll actually get around to trying them out today.

Styx is fucking stupid.

The second level has you restart all the way to the back if you get caught.

It's made in the spirit of the old stealth games, fantastic level design and real consequences for trying to rush things. Each level can take upwards of an hour to slowly observe and sneak your way through. It might not be for you but that doesn't make it stupid.

It's made in the spirit of the old stealth games, fantastic level design and real consequences for trying to rush things. Each level can take upwards of an hour to slowly observe and sneak your way through. It might not be for you but that doesn't make it stupid.
Styx looks pretty, but it's a massive download (for a digital indie game) at over 5GB. Sure does look pretty though. Does it play as smooth as it looks? And is it stealth-only or is there some action too?

Reebot

Styx is the kind of game I would have enjoyed ten years ago. In a modern context it's pretty archaic and, at times, boring. Other games have done it better.

I appreciate the simplicity of the design and it's uncompromising nature - It's a stealth game, nothing more.

It's the kind of game I like to see on Plus; a less mainstream, niche title given a chance to find an audience.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So outside Geo Wars which I'm yet to play, the other games are all shite. Seriously.

I mean, to see a thread on Rocket League proclaiming it a potential GOTY is laughable. Styx plays horribly, Entwined goes out of its way to bore you to death and both Rain and Mousecraft are the very definition of meh.

After getting First Light in Jan and later GZ I thought things were picking up. Even the PS3 game was no good and generally you can at least rely on the PS3 game being a good one.

I think the level design is spot on, it's just horrifying to have an oldschool game force you to do tutorial stuff over and over when it could be incorporated more naturally (like, you have the option to do it, or you can just use the pathway here and precariously jump across some things instead).

The combat system shouldn't lock you to a fight also. That was a silly decision - either instakill me (no thanks) or make it a choice. You CAN run away, but you've already gotten hit six times. And the parry system is inaccurate.

I'm sure it gets better, but I wasn't having much fun.

So outside Geo Wars which I'm yet to play, the other games are all shite. Seriously.

I mean, to see a thread on Rocket League proclaiming it a potential GOTY is laughable. Styx plays horribly, Entwined goes out of its way to bore you to death and both Rain and Mousecraft are the very definition of meh.

After getting First Light in Jan and later GZ I thought things were picking up. Even the PS3 game was no good and generally you can at least rely on the PS3 game being a good one.

How so? It's definitely a GOTY candidate for me.

hawk2025

I totally respect your opinion, but you haven't exactly explained why; What didn't you like about Rocket League?

It's currently only second to Ark on the best sellers list:

https://store.steampowered.com/mobilestorefront/topsellers

It has an astounding 96% positive Steam reviews:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/

And a solid 5-star PSN average after 5000+ reviews:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/rocket-league/cid=UP2002-CUSA01163_00-ROCKETLEAGUENA01

As well as immediate media attention:

http://steamed.kotaku.com/steams-latest-hit-is-about-cars-playing-soccer-1716328622

By all objective accounts, that someone might consider it a GOTY candidate is... quite reasonable. People seem to absolutely love it.

Reebot

Styx looks pretty, but it's a massive download (for a digital indie game) at over 5GB. Sure does look pretty though. Does it play as smooth as it looks? And is it stealth-only or is there some action too?

I dunno where you're getting that but it looks really rough in game. Tons of visual glitches too - space materializing as you pan the camera, character models stretching like Mr. Fantastic, rampant clipping, you name it. On top of a very decidedly mid/low budget last gen base.

Plays pretty smooth though. Styx the character can be a bit finicky with the ledge grabbing but the mechanics are clear and defined. Rarely come across any "what wait" kind of problems.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Ah, the opinion of a man that hasn't played Rocket League for more than 5 minutes.

It's an incredible game. It's one of the best months for this game alone. A definite must-play.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ah, the opinion of a man that hasn't played Rocket League for more than 5 minutes.

It's an incredible game. It's one of the best months for this game alone. A definite must-play.

Lets assume for a second that you're right. Does the game become something else past the first 5 minutes? Its not soccer using cars past the first 5 minutes?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Lets assume for a second that you're right. Does the game become something else past the first 5 minutes? Its not soccer using cars past the first 5 minutes?

You can dislike the games all you want, but this 5 minutes to judge is an awful argument.

MUnited83

For you.

Being horrible at playing Styx and Styx playing horribly are very different things.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You can dislike the games all you want, but this 5 minutes to judge is an awful argument.

He assumed I only played for 5 minutes. I never said I only played for 5 minutes.

I'm just finding it strange that people are seemingly arguing the game is something else. The game I played (not online give the message on the main menu saying they're aware of online issues) had me in a semi futuristic soccer field, with a ball in the middle, and I needed to bump that ball into the goals. I could boost, jump, handbrake turn, the lot.

Is that not soccer with cars?

BShadowJ

Let's assume for a second CoD is not people shooting guns past the first 5 minutes. Or that [AAA game] is not [super basic core concept] past the first 5 minutes.

Blissful ignorance feels good indeed...

Top Bottom