• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ July 2015: Rocket League, Styx, rain, Mousecraft, Geometry Wars 3, Entwined

hawk2025

He assumed I only played for 5 minutes. I never said I only played for 5 minutes.

I'm just finding it strange that people are seemingly arguing the game is something else. The game I played (not online give the message on the main menu saying they're aware of online issues) had me in a semi futuristic soccer field, with a ball in the middle, and I needed to bump that ball into the goals. I could boost, jump, handbrake turn, the lot.

Is that not soccer with cars?

No one's saying it's not.

People were wondering why that's necessarily laughable and "shite".

Ricker

I remember loving Velvet Assassin,it wasnt the best game ever but the stealth was pretty good...if Styx is on that level,I will be happy...downloading.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Let's assume for a second CoD is not people shooting guns past the first 5 minutes. Or that [AAA game] is not [super basic core concept] past the first 5 minutes.

Blissful ignorance feels good indeed...

But this is clearly why I didn't enjoy it. I don't find soccer using cars fun. At all. I can see that its a game designed to force you to dedicate a LOT of time to it to get good at it.

Chalk it up to playing alone against the cpu. Maybe this game really requires play with friends.

He assumed I only played for 5 minutes. I never said I only played for 5 minutes.

I'm just finding it strange that people are seemingly arguing the game is something else. The game I played (not online give the message on the main menu saying they're aware of online issues) had me in a semi futuristic soccer field, with a ball in the middle, and I needed to bump that ball into the goals. I could boost, jump, handbrake turn, the lot.

Is that not soccer with cars?

No ones arguing that, but you're being a bit reductionist. I don't know what games you like so I can't really give you a relatable example, but what you're doing could be applied to any game.

But this is clearly why I didn't enjoy it. I don't find soccer using cars fun. At all. I can see that its a game designed to force you to dedicate a LOT of time to it to get good at it.

Chalk it up to playing alone against the cpu. Maybe this game really requires play with friends.

See, this is much different that calling it shite and saying that calling it GOTY is laughable. If you'd said this originally no one would have had a problem with your post.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I understand that, I was just taking issue with you saying if you had only played 5 minutes it would still be fine to judge the game laughable as a GotY candidate for others.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

That makes way more sense then. You really should have done the tutorial first. You didn't mention flipping and strafe flips so I'd imagine you're only using gas/break/jump, which is boring. And playing offline is a terrible idea, but the servers are down so that's understandable.

Grimsen

Not enjoying something is fine. I personally didn't like the 5 minutes I played of Styx.

What makes Rocket League "shite", though? And why is considering it a GOTY contender "laughable"?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That makes way more sense then. You really should have done the tutorial first. You didn't mention flipping and strafe flips so I'd imagine you're only using gas/break/jump, which is boring. And playing offline is a terrible idea, but the servers are down so that's understandable.

Ok that I DO admit to. I did not touch the tutorial. I figured soccer with cars would be easy to pick up and play and it was. I just didn't find it very fun. I cant see how even if you "get gud" how you'd have much control over a match.

Too much randomness can happen. Which probably goes back to my point about needing to play with friends.

Reebot

Ok that I DO admit to. I did not touch the tutorial. I figured soccer with cars would be easy to pick up and play and it was. I just didn't find it very fun. I cant see how even if you "get gud" how you'd have much control over a match.

Too much randomness can happen. Which probably goes back to my point about needing to play with friends.

Seems really silly to complain about the game demanding too much to get skilled but also willingly skipping the tutorial.

You're shooting yourself in the foot and them complaining when it hurts to run.

It's only random until you know what you're doing.

RL1.gif

git gud

And playing the AI is still a lot of fun. My first ~4 hours were against the AI and when I finally got into a multiplayer match it felt very similar.

BShadowJ

I feel the previous responses by McGreevious and xxracerxx already nailed what I was going to say anyway, but I'll just add that yes, time and friends do help with this game. The game has some seriously incredible depth, and playing the tutorials would have let you learn about the depth available. "Too much randomness" is only a complain that beginners have, after some time and practice you absolutely can feel in control of the ball. But even so, if you don't feel that you were having fun, I mean, it is ok. Not everyone enjoys the same things, and it's ok to say "I didn't enjoy the game". What you did initially though wasn't that.

ubercheez

What's up with the PS Plus Free Games listing on the store not showing the full selection of free games? On my PS3 I had Rain and Mousecraft show up, but I had to search for Entwined manually. This happens all the time on my Vita as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's up with the PS Plus Free Games listing on the store not showing the full selection of free games? On my PS3 I had Rain and Mousecraft show up, but I had to search for Entwined manually. This happens all the time on my Vita as well.

Use the webstore.

Just use the web store. Each system only shows its own 2 free games, even if there are cross-buy ones. It's dumb but using the web store is better anyway.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If you ignore everyone who disagrees with you, you won't learn anything new.

They're ok for out and out trolls though. Which is possible some in here will now view me as given my initial post. Which in hindsight should have been less broad. I was calling the general overall quality of titles shite without specifying games.

Rocket League in isolation isn't shite. I just didn't find it fun to play. Whether I give it another chance or not I'm not sure. My backlog grows by the month.

Geometry Wars 3 is a pretty great Vita port. Meant to pop it in and play it for just a few minutes last night but I ended up playing through half of adventure mode.

Walpurgis

Banned
They're ok for out and out trolls though. Which is possible some in here will now view me as given my initial post. Which in hindsight should have been less broad. I was calling the general overall quality of titles shite without specifying games.

Rocket League in isolation isn't shite. I just didn't find it fun to play. Whether I give it another chance or not I'm not sure. My backlog grows by the month.
I know the feeling. I find that going against the grain doesn't usually go so well because there are some people who are very emotionally invested and can get their feelings hurt. That being said, there has definitely been a shift in what PS+ was last gen and what it is now. That's a fact. Personally, I think it's a shift in the wrong direction for all platforms caused by charging for online on PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

If your backlog is continuing to grow with no time to play them, and if a month here and there isn't to your liking - that is a blessing to get caught up then, no?

farisr

Well yeah, of course you can't see it. You didn't even do the tutorials. You're not exactly in a position to judge how much control a player could have in a match when you don't really know about the advanced mechanics or how they work.

Anyways, it's all good if you didn't like it. Opinions and all that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If your backlog is continuing to grow with no time to play them, and if a month here and there isn't to your liking - that is a blessing to get caught up then, no?

Not sure what you mean here. My backlog spans 5 (kinda 6) consoles. Catching up isn't a realistic option. So these plus games really need to grab me quick to stay installed.

Thus far, Injustice, Outlast, Resogun, First Light and Strider remain installed. Ground Zeroes I had already bought. Same goes for GwG. Only Crimson Dragon and Worms have remained installed. That's it. Haven't bothered keeping /persisting with the rest. Which includes Rayman and AC4.

Zunja

I've been having a lot of fun with Styx. I always wanted to try it so I was hyped to see it on plus.

I'm hopefully going to get into rocket league once I finish my Styx Plat.

hawk2025

I know the feeling. I find that going against the grain doesn't usually go so well because there are some people who are very emotionally invested and can get their feelings hurt. That being said, there has definitely been a shift in what PS+ was last gen and what it is now. That's a fact. Personally, I think it's a shift in the wrong direction for all platforms caused by charging for online on PS4.

Perhaps it's important to distinguish between going against the grain not going well because people are "emotionally invested" from it not going well because the arguments being made aren't very good?

I think people have done a pretty good job in explaining why Collingwood got some pushback here, and he admitted as much.

CLEEK

Rocket League and Geometry Wars Vita make this the best PS+ month in ages. Both are fucking awesome.

GW3 (Pacifism yo!) will occupy my commute for a long time, and I'm busting to get home again to play Rocket league and start learning some skills.

Edit:

Do the people bellyaching about the lack of AAA games realise that many of the indie games that début on PSN as a PS+ freebee have been partially funded by Sony? Being a PS+ game of the month gaurentees income to the devs .Which for small teams can be the difference between a game being financially viable or not.

Part of your PS+ sub goes into funding new, interesting games, that otherwise either wouldn't exist or wouldn't be on the platform. AAA games get made regardless. For example, without PS+, it is highly unlikely that the Vita would ever have got GW3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's more speedball 2 than car soccer

AwShucks

Rocket League and Geometry Wars Vita make this the best PS+ month in ages. Both are fucking awesome.

GW3 (Pacifism yo!) will occupy my commute for a long time, and I'm busting to get home again to play Rocket league and start learning some skills.

I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for "but it has all the GW2 modes that you can still play on your 360 that is still plugged in which looks better".

autoduelist

"Too much randomness" most often means someone hasn't spent enough time with a game to recognize patterns and such. I see that complaint about roguelikes and lites all the time, from traditionals like Nethack to the new breed like Binding of Isaac. While both games have 'randomness', it's very, very controlled randomness that becomes second nature, understandable, predictable, and dealable with actual playtime under your belt.

The same is true of any arcade game. If someone never saw a game before and you put Geometry Wars in front of them, it would likely seem 'too random'. Skill and experience overcomes that.

BShadowJ

Perhaps it's important to distinguish between going against the grain not going well because people are "emotionally invested" from it not going well because the arguments being made aren't very good?

I think people have done a pretty good job in explaining why Collingwood got some pushback here, and he admitted as much.

Pretty much this. I admit I initially was taken aback by what he had said, but he explained his thoughts better and I'm good with him now. I also was admittedly harsh on my first reaction because well it's somewhat tiring seeing the same arguments (which usually aren't very good) used to just plain dismiss some types of games, not just Rocket League, and I initially thought it would be more of the same. I was wrong in that.

Walpurgis

Banned

I was speaking generally. I didn't read Collingwood's posts.

suplex

So if I don't have a PS4 but plan on buying one in the next couple months, can I get PS+ now and still get the free PS4 games?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
"Too much randomness" most often means someone hasn't spent enough time with a game to recognize patterns and such. I see that complaint about roguelikes and lites all the time, from traditionals like Nethack to the new breed like Binding of Isaac. While both games have 'randomness', it's very, very controlled randomness that becomes second nature, understandable, predictable, and dealable with actual playtime under your belt.

The same is true of any arcade game. If someone never saw a game before and you put Geometry Wars in front of them, it would likely seem 'too random'. Skill and experience overcomes that.

The randomness in this case that I was referring to isn't what I think you're referring to. As a soccer player myself and as a former FIFA fanatic, soccer is a game where you have a fair amount of control over the ball. Obviously because humans have feet.

A car isn't going to exhibit the same amount of control over a ball as a human will. Hence the randomness. You could have someone who just charges into everyone and use it as a fairly legit strategy, which takes even more control away from you. In soccer of course you'd get a free.

So I think I'm just not jiving with that lack of control that I have over it.

Ogawa-san

GW3 Vita is a bit disappointing. It's the same game, but to keep it at 60fps they went nuclear on particle effects... There's none.

But hey, portable GW3.

Vire

It's only random until you know what you're doing.

RL1.gif

git gud

And playing the AI is still a lot of fun. My first ~4 hours were against the AI and when I finally got into a multiplayer match it felt very similar.

Net_Wrecker what's your PSN, we gotta team up!

Shoot me a friend request: audioandy

Guilty Gear Xrd is free for ps plus this month. Hong Kong store. We didn't get Rocket League just yet. Oh, well Xrd is a fantastic choice for the ones who didn't get it yet....

Kwixotik

I thought y'all had to be exaggerating how fun Rocket League is. I'm liking it a lot. Still playing on Rookie difficulty, but starting to get the hang of it and doing training mode in between.

Top Bottom