• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Tess3ract

Banned
Just like MS. And I'm not surprised in the timing either. I guess you just have to be careful. Do all your dirt offline and log in. Seems like the best course of action until this blows over.
MS doesn't ban your account when you "crack" it. Just your console.

Because MS knows people will just keep buying consoles

MS doesn't ban your account when you "crack" it. Just your console.

Because MS knows people will just keep buying consoles

In some cases they actually do. Usually to repeat offenders though. It'll be real interesting if Sony goes after people not playing Carl on Duty. I don't think it'll even go that far. But there will be those who need to have Golden Rawket Lawnchairs and they'll be feeling that banhammer quick.

what if you have money on your wallet?

You forfeit it. So if you're feeling that you need to spend it now would be the time to do it just in case.

Tess3ract

Banned
I have no problem with banning online cheaters. Don't ban me because I'm using the console the way I want (btw this is a big thing in the EU iirc). Especially when I don't online cheat and fucking bought PS+

test_account

XP-39C²
All I see is a press release. Has anyone actually been banned?
It will probably take a short while before the first bans starts to happen concidering that the press release is ment to be as a warning.

what if you have money on your wallet?
You lose that since you cant access the account anymore. You also lose all the games that you've purchased. You wont lose those that you have already downloaded and installed of course.

I have no problem with banning online cheaters. Don't ban me because I'm using the console the way I want (btw this is a big thing in the EU iirc). Especially when I don't online cheat and fucking bought PS+
If you violate the rules of their network, i dont think there is much saying in a court about this. It is different when you're just using your own console locally.

Tess3ract

Banned
Remember that big hubbub on origin where they got banned on the bioware forums and suddenly can't access their games?

For PS+ games/dlc, its kinda like that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Remember that big hubbub on origin where they got banned on the bioware forums and suddenly can't access their games?

I would say that this is more if you post on i.e the PS Blog and get banned for something you say there, then lose your whole PSN account because of that. Losing the whole account for posting some on a forum is pretty stupid in my opinion though, i fully agree with that, eventhough that it is technically the same network and the same rules usually applies there as well.

The bans are probably not just to keep potential cheaters out, but also to make piracy less lucrative (since you cant play online).

If I buy a product, I expect to actually own it and be able to use it the way I want or even modify it. I couldn't care less about connecting to PSN (I see why Sony wouldn't like that) but at least don't remotely brick my console (I'm not gonna take any risks anyway).

test_account

XP-39C²
If I buy a product, I expect to actually own it and be able to use it the way I want or even modify it. I couldn't care less about connecting to PSN (I see why Sony wouldn't like that) but at least don't remotely brick my console (Anyway, I'm not gonna take my chances).
When a console gets banned, it just means that you cant use any accounts on that console. If only one account get banned, you should be able to just use another account on the same console. The console itself wont be bricked.

RetroMG

Been considering getting one of those E3 Flashers to downgrade my PS3. I barely use it, And I could see turning it into a homebrew console.

When a console gets banned, it just means that you cant use any accounts on that console. If only one account get banned, you should be able to just use another account on the same console. The console itself wont be bricked.
OK. So, can I still play games (offline) if the console gets banned? Sorry for the noob question again, I'd just like to be sure.

test_account

XP-39C²
OK. So, can I still play games (offline) if the console gets banned? Sorry for the noob question again, I'd just like to be sure.
Yeah, console ban should just mean that no PSN accounts will work from that console, so all offline games and everything else that are offline should still work fine. I've never heard of any PS3 consoles being bricked by Sony, but if one wants to be on the absolute safe side, it is best to disable the internet connection on the PS3 completely.

No problem, better to ask to be sure :)

IMACOMPUTA

Can somebody tell me how to downgrade from 4.21 rebug to 3.55 kmeaw? I'm trying to get the brd emulator working but I guess I need some keys and stuff that I can only get in 3.55.
Before I upgraded to 4.21 I set the qa flag thing ( not that I have any idea what that means, but doesn't that help downgrading or something?)

I'm getting so frustrated by all of this already.

I'm following a guide that says "install 999 downgrader in xmb"
Soooo does that mean put the 999 pup on the USB in the system update folder and update via system update in xmb? Because its not working. It says no valid update file found.
Please help me I don't want to waste my whole day doing this.

Edit:
It was because I had 2 partitions on my USB hdd.
-___________-

DLC you purchased through discounts should be fine, but free content would go away. It would make sense... it's in their terms and also gives you a warning every time you download a PS+ free game.

Zoe

You never own free PS+ games anyway. They're loaned to you as long as you're paying for the account.

Cth

Here's an odd question..

About that playing-new-blu-ray issue:

Has anyone who went from 3.55 to 4.21/4.30 downgraded back to 3.55 and had the blu-rays still play? Is it as simple as it checking the firmware or once you're on 4.21/4.30 it updates whatever "driver" it needs to play which stays in place when downgrading?

Thanks!

Here's an odd question..

About that playing-new-blu-ray issue:

Has anyone who went from 3.55 to 4.21/4.30 downgraded back to 3.55 and had the blu-rays still play? Is it as simple as it checking the firmware or once you're on 4.21/4.30 it updates whatever "driver" it needs to play which stays in place when downgrading?

Thanks!

MultiMAN 4.11.11 fixes "Playback Prohibited" Blu-ray movie problems, regardless of CFW:
http://www.ps3hax.net/2012/11/multiman-04-11-11-released-fixes-broken-blu-ray-movie-playback/

I'm not sure if that's the problem you're referring to though.

deano469

Neo Member
I wonder what happens if the account is linked to more than 1 console? I have 2, my CFW console and my official firmware console but both have the same PSN account linked to them. Would they only ban the cfw console or would they ban both because they are both linked to that account?

You never own free PS+ games anyway. They're loaned to you as long as you're paying for the account.

To be fair that's the same with virtually every DD method known to man (apart from GOG).

It's even written into the Steam TOS that you're not actually buying games.

I wonder what happens if the account is linked to more than 1 console? I have 2, my CFW console and my official firmware console but both have the same PSN account linked to them. Would they only ban the cfw console or would they ban both because they are both linked to that account?

I'm in exactly the same boat - guess I'm going to find out sooner or later if I need to be signed into PSN to use Netflix on my CFW PS3.

From what someone indicated on a PSP though, he was prevented from activating software etc on a CFW PSP and had to use a plain vanilla PSP to activate it. This would indicate that your account is not locked away but merely prevented from activating / licensing stuff on CFW.

deano469

Neo Member
Well I've not had an email from Sony yet so fingers crossed im ok, might remove the account from my ofw PS3 anyway just to be on the safe side, that way only 1 PS3 gets banned if Sony start to wave the ban hammer.

I have a technical question that I wonder if anyone has an opinion/info about:

Is there generally a loading/performance difference for playing games from external HDD vs. internal HDD? I'd imagine reading times would be faster from internal, but I'm not sure.

But I suspect things might be different for games that require a mandatory install to internal HDD when you first run them. I imagine games which frequently stream data while playing (Rage for example) might benefit from running on external USB drive, so it can read simultaneously from both the installed data on internal HDD and the disc data via USB (in parallel). While if the disc data and the install data are both on internal drive, it would slow down the streaming/loading when the game is trying to read from both sources at the same time (since it would need to read them sequentially).

Any thoughts?

Confiture

Banned
I'm still on kmeaw 3.55 and debating whether or not to upgrade to one of the other cfws...
What do people who made the change think, is it worth it?

jediyoshi

I'm still on kmeaw 3.55 and debating whether or not to upgrade to one of the other cfws...

It's almost purely for convenience. If manually inserting fixes isn't a problem, stay on 3.55. If you'd rather not have to deal with it, upgrade.

I'm tempted to upgrade but I'm convincing myself not to. I spent a lot of time and effort making everything I have work on 3.55 (and getting some things done was very tricky, like official updates, 3D patches, PSN stuff), and I'm pretty sure something will break when I upgrade, and I don't feel like chasing after new ways to fix it for the new firmware.

Every major game seems to be getting fixed for 3.55 (sometimes even before the official release date!), so it's hard for me to justify the risk of fixing what isn't broken.

If its any consolation is that I've not signed into PSN but I'm able to still download updates and the like. Did it for Skullgirls and PSABR yesterday. I'd assume because I'm able to do that SONY hasn't moved on me at the moment. Of Course, YMMV!

How do you know when a console/account gets banned? My nephew had CFW on his PS3 but then he upgraded to latest OFW (but didn't bother to delete homebrew before doing so), and today told me he was downloading demos from PSN when suddenly all the downloads said "Complete" when they actually weren't complete, and he couldn't connect the console to the internet anymore. He thinks he might have been banned...

If you get error 8002A224 then your console, and possibly account(s), is permanently banned. If you get error 8002A227 then I believe you are banned/suspended for 30 days.

Another website which I am not sure I can link to here has had members banned.
It seems weird that ps3hax.net, psx-scene.com, and ps3crunch.net aren't reporting it, but a banned web site is. It's obviously pretty massive news.

I've heard of people having accounts banned for cheating in Black Ops 2 though, maybe that's what the members of this banned site are talking about?

test_account

XP-39C²
Doing some quick search on Google, it seems that the 8002A224 error is related to FuckPSN. It might be that Sony simply blocked this, so you get the error.

The website I said I didn't know if I could mention is nextgenupdate.com. I don't know if GAF blocks the website or if I am allowed to link to it so if there is an issue please let me know. According to some members who have mentioned that they have not even played Black Ops 2, they have been banned. As for the error being related to FuckPSN, when the loophole FuckPSN uses is patched it displays the 8002A224 code because the ConsoleID that FuckPSN spoofs has been banned.

gtmax

This is where i am currently. If anyone can point me out to where i can get help that'd be great!

When i check under System Information through XMB, it shows that i'm on Firmware 4.21. In multiman, it shows as: 3.55 [SC-36 hermes]

I recently got some games working through the XMB that i had on there. I can enter multiman or Showtime, but i can't exit them. When i click on the games on my HDD, i get a black screen and nothing happens. Showtime freezes after a few minutes.

Have tried the 4.25>3.55 downgrader. Downloads the update through XMB no problem. When it's about to install i get an error code [forget which]. Have tried to do the toggle_QA just for shits and giggles. Get the beeps, then black screen with those little stars spinning around but nothing after that.

Since my system was once at 3.55, what would happen if i choose system restore? To which state would it restore it? Is there anyway i can get back to OFW 3.55?

TIA!

This is where i am currently. If anyone can point me out to where i can get help that'd be great!

When i check under System Information through XMB, it shows that i'm on Firmware 4.21. In multiman, it shows as: 3.55 [SC-36 hermes]

I recently got some games working through the XMB that i had on there. I can enter multiman or Showtime, but i can't exit them. When i click on the games on my HDD, i get a black screen and nothing happens. Showtime freezes after a few minutes.

Have tried the 4.25>3.55 downgrader. Downloads the update through XMB no problem. When it's about to install i get an error code [forget which]. Have tried to do the toggle_QA just for shits and giggles. Get the beeps, then black screen with those little stars spinning around but nothing after that.

Since my system was once at 3.55, what would happen if i choose system restore? To which state would it restore it? Is there anyway i can get back to OFW 3.55?

TIA!
I've been reading your posts in here for a while now and I have NFI what you've done to your system, but I suspect it's akin to torture :p

You could maybe try Rebug's 999 downgrader, but with your system a mish-mash of improperly applied PUP files who knows what it will do. I'm slightly amazed that your PS3 works at all.

Is your QA flag set?

Top Bottom