• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

gtmax

Thanks dude ;). I'm equally amazed all my games are still in the HDD. I've lost track of all the different times i've tried a new .pup file. You think working from a Mac has some detrimental effect on this operation?

I've tried the QA_Toggle but to no avail. System gets bugged at a black screen, have to manually reset. I might have to settle for my two games i can play off the XMB and get used to having to turn off the system by hand to quit them.

Thanks for looking though!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way to fix file permissions in CFW 4.31 or is this something I have to do before upgrading from CFW 3.55? FTP functionality is useless at the moment as I can't write to the PS3's HDD.

Edit: Never mind, all is well now. :)

Downgraded to Kmeaw for usercheat seeing as it's never coming to 4.**, then I tried those resigners to sign the GT5 2.09 eboot to 3.55 and none work, ffs, I'm getting a black screen and total lockage.

Anybody running the 2.09 update on 3.55?

Tess3ract

Banned
Downgraded to Kmeaw for usercheat seeing as it's never coming to 4.**, then I tried those resigners to sign the GT5 2.09 eboot to 3.55 and none work, ffs, I'm getting a black screen and total lockage.

Anybody running the 2.09 update on 3.55?
Anything signed with 3.60+ or higher wont work on 3.55, different kernel calls.

I'm pretty sure u can update GT5 at least up to 2.08 on kmeaw. Haven't tried it yet but found the instructions, files needed, and read confirmations from users that it works.

What's so important about 2.09 anyway?

PSGames

I'm still on Official 3.55 firmware rented the Spiderman Blu-ray and now it's locked me from playing any Blu-rays at all :-( What's the safest CFW route for me?

I'm still on Official 3.55 firmware rented the Spiderman Blu-ray and now it's locked me from playing any Blu-rays at all :-( What's the safest CFW route for me?

My friend had this same issue after getting The Avengers BR. Going to Rebug 4.21.1 fixed it for him. I am pretty sure going to whatever the newest Rogero CFW is will fix it as well.

Cloak

I have the old phat PS3 60gb (now 500gb) running rebug 4.21, few questions,

1. I can play games signed up to 4.21 now? (been waiting to get ICO/Shadow of the colossus collection as well as other games... don't to go out and buy it just to find out it won't work).

2. Since my PS3 supports PS1/2 games, can I just have the ISO of my games on the HDD? or do I need that Cobra dongle thing?

3. Someone mentioned some kind of cheat app... is there one for my PS1/2 games? (kinda like CWCheat on the PSP). I don't need or want to cheat on my PS3 games.

I have the old phat PS3 60gb (now 500gb) running rebug 4.21, few questions,

1. I can play games signed up to 4.21 now? (been waiting to get ICO/Shadow of the colossus collection as well as other games... don't to go out and buy it just to find out it won't work).

2. Since my PS3 supports PS1/2 games, can I just have the ISO of my games on the HDD? or do I need that Cobra dongle thing?

1. I'm pretty sure you can play almost any game. ICO/SotC works on 3.55 even (with patched eboot).

2. PS2 on HDD is only available on Cobra I believe. I remember reading that Rebug 4.21 supports PS1 ISO on HDD, but I'm not sure.

Emulation for retro consoles...? Does that include PS2? Not like it matters anyway, I forgot PS3 has a shitty ps2 emulator.

I think I'll just grab a vita for retro console emulation, that's all I care about for homebrew.

gtmax

Did you get that issue fix, Wax Free? Sounds similar to what i have. I actually managed to get myself down to 3.55OFW. Went to 3.55 Kmeaw like i had before. So everything was fine but somehow i can't play my backed games still. The only thing that's different is MM. Before i had an old version that worked, anything 10+ doesn't work for me and i deleted my old MM.

Does PS3homebrew site keep an archive of MMs?

Also, i saw every game for ps2 has been released on the interwebs. What are people doing with this? Can CFW do ps2 emu? At any level? I know it was asked before but not clear solid answers it seems.

DieH@rd

Banned
Whats the maximum size of internal drive on PS3? Do they allow that old technique of pulling the cables out of the console and connecting it to 2TB 3.5" drives? Can it detects 2TB anyway, or will it format it at some smaller size?

This is OT but I replaced my PS3 recently and it boots to the game menu so I'm always faced with annoying loud music from said game upon startup.

Somehow I configured my last PS3 to boot to the video column. How do I change it on this replacement?

Whats the maximum size of internal drive on PS3? Do they allow that old technique of pulling the cables out of the console and connecting it to 2TB 3.5" drives? Can it detects 2TB anyway, or will it format it at some smaller size?

2TB should work. Though I feel like those HDD's at 2TB don't come in 2.5" form factors.

With that, you could use something like this.
http://www.cpustuff.com/22pin-male-female-sata-cable/

Just shove those in the PS3, and get a small external caddy for the 3.5" if you'd like.

Tess3ract

Banned
It'll be fine with 2tb but the driver is encrypted so back up your shit with ftp and copy it back over when the new drive is in.

You may have to dremel the hard drive in order for it to fit.

miserable

I've been out of the loop in the ps3 homebrew scene, and there are many confusing and conflicting posts in this thread, so i'll have to ask: i have an 3.55 OFW fat PS3 , never downgraded, never installed CFW on it, can i install the Rebug or Rogero CFW directly on it or do i have to install Kmeaw or something else first?

Anything signed with 3.60+ or higher wont work on 3.55, different kernel calls.

That's why I tried to sign it with DarkEbootfixer's 3.60/4.** to 3.55 option.

Did you get that issue fix, Wax Free? Sounds similar to what i have. I actually managed to get myself down to 3.55OFW. Went to 3.55 Kmeaw like i had before. So everything was fine but somehow i can't play my backed games still. The only thing that's different is MM. Before i had an old version that worked, anything 10+ doesn't work for me and i deleted my old MM.

Nope, I can't find a GT5 2.09 3.55 fix that works, everything else boots using the latest multiMAN on Kmeaw 3.55

Did you update your games when you were on 4.**?

I went from Kmeaw 3.55 > Rogero 4.21 - XMB update > Toggle QA > 4.25 - 3.55 Downgrader - XMB update > Kmeaw 3.55 via recovery menu and everything works as before except GT5 which I updated.

gtmax

Shit i'm on Rebug 4.21 CEX now. Just can't get multiman to work but looking to fix it though. WEnt from Kmeaw to Rebug 4.21.1. Anything weird i need to do or change?

PSGames

I've been out of the loop in the ps3 homebrew scene, and there are many confusing and conflicting posts in this thread, so i'll have to ask: i have an 3.55 OFW fat PS3 , never downgraded, never installed CFW on it, can i install the Rebug or Rogero CFW directly on it or do i have to install Kmeaw or something else first?

I was in your exact situation. You can install rogero or rebug directly. Just save it to a usb flash drive with the correct file and folder names.

cacildo

You know, the fact that you cant use custom soundtracks on the PS3 is really annoying

Isnt there anything on this vast homebrew land to change that??

Cause i remember when i first got Excite Truck for the Wii, i was like "OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS AMAZING AND THE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK MAKES IT ALL MORE AWSOME" and i kept thinking Ps3 and 360 owners were the happy ones because every game was custom soundtrack for them...

...and then i got a ps3 and no, no game allows you to use custom soundtracks

test_account

XP-39C²
You know, the fact that you cant use custom soundtracks on the PS3 is really annoying

Isnt there anything on this vast homebrew land to change that??

Cause i remember when i first got Excite Truck for the Wii, i was like "OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS AMAZING AND THE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK MAKES IT ALL MORE AWSOME" and i kept thinking Ps3 and 360 owners were the happy ones because every game was custom soundtrack for them...

...and then i got a ps3 and no, no game allows you to use custom soundtracks
Custom Soundtrack is something that the PS3 supports, but it is up to the developers to implement it. I found a list here:

http://community.us.playstation.com...N-Games-with-Custom-Soundtracks/td-p/31099592

I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is, but i do think it is pretty accurate. I only know about Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3 multiplayer and PixelJunk Eden through own experience.

If no one has added this feature to CFW during the last ~2 years, i dont think there is much chance that it will come, unfortunately.

Speaking about features, why havnt anyone made a new web browser for CFW? I remember this was one thing people said that CFW would be good for, which is true, but why havnt anyone made one yet?

Why havnt anyone made a new web browser for CFW? I remember this was one thing people said that CFW would be good for, which is true, but why havnt anyone made one yet?

This boggles my mind too. With the open-source browsers out there, I don't imagine it'd be that hard to port one. The Sony browser on 3.55 blows.

Isn't it best to downgrade to OFW 3.55 or Kmeaw when installing a new HDD? I always got the corrupt message when using recovery with Rogero and the Downgrader pup (fat PS3)

I bought one of these £4 usb powered caddies off ebay for my replaced drive and it works a treat with the PS3/TV, etc

caddy1ojg6.jpg

besiktas1

Isn't it best to downgrade to OFW 3.55 or Kmeaw when installing a new HDD? I always got the corrupt message when using recovery with Rogero and the Downgrader pup (fat PS3)

I bought one of these £4 usb powered caddies off ebay for my replaced drive and it works a treat with the PS3/TV, etc

caddy1ojg6.jpg
How do I down grade?

MMaRsu

Banned
What's with the new Rogero v2.3 firmware? It says you can install this directly through XMB and you don't have to do a downgrade to 3.55 first right?

Rogero 4.30 v2.03 with XMB Install PKG Files & No more Downgrade PUP needed

Rogero CFW 4.30 v2.03 Details:
* Rebuilt from scratch using OFW4.30 files only (no DEX/SEX files) with official XMB and full features working as in OFW4.30
* All known problems like XMB icons sorting and Demo Mode issues from previous versions are now gone with the use of the official XMB.
* New Improved "Install Package Files" Application added to XMB instead of using the traditional DEX Icon, to have a 100% original XMB.
* Once the PS3 is booted, select the [app_home/PS3_GAME] Icon and It will change automatically to [* Install Package Files]
* If you load a Game from multiMAN it will still be redirected and shown under the same [app_home/PS3_GAME] Icon
* After loading a Game, you can restart the PS3 again to have [* Install Package Files] back on XMB
* You can also Install the new stand-alone XMB application from Deank --> [* Install Package Files] to have it showing permanently on XMB.
- [* Install Package Files] function supports:
--- up to 256 pkg files
--- split pkg files
--- sorting
--- queued PKG indication (in red)
--- multipart (split) PKG indication (in yellow)
--- copy/transfer progress
--- Scanned locations: /dev_usb*** /dev_hdd0 /dev_bdvd in /PKG /packages and root folders
--- Split files format: .0 - .63 / .66600 - .66663 / .001 - .064
* CFW Structure fixed to match the OFW 4.xx Structure:
--- No more corrupted data error messages while Installing from XMB or Recovery Menu.
--- The CFW can be installed fine from XMB Update over any OFW3.55/CFW3.55/CFW4.21/CFW4.30.
--- HDD can be swapped/changed and the CFW4.30 v2.03 will re-install without any problem.
* Patched LV1 to disable LV2 Protection.
* Patched LV1 to add peek/poke support to replace hvc 182/183 (multiMAN Direct Disc Access is now working fine with CFW4.30 v2.03)
* Patched LV1 to disable SYSTEM MANAGER INTEGRITY CHECK (to prevent Bricking on non-dehashed downgraded consoles)
* Patched LV1 Core OS Hash Check (to prevent Bricking on non-dehashed downgraded consoles)
* The CFW can be used directly for Downgrading with Hardware flashers /Flashing from FSM/Exiting from FSM, all works fine.
* Patched LV2 to add peek/poke support. (for both LV1 and LV2)
* Patched VSH to enable ReActPSN compatibility (Allow Unsigned act.dat and *.rif files, Disable Unlinking/Deleting of act.dat)
* Spoofed the system version to latest OFW version 4.31.
* PSN/SEN access is available as long as the current "passphrase" still the same.
* Loading games from App_home Icon is now fixed.
* It can run games signed with Keys up to version 4.30 without any Eboot/Sprx patching needed
* Games can be loaded from Disc Icon (with Original game in BD) and from app_home (Disc-less, but not all games).
* Current 3.55 homebrew applications can't be loaded on this CFW, applications must be re-signed properly for FW4.21/4.30

MMaRsu

Banned
Damnit wtf..It says no applicable update data found in my XMB... also I can't run QA_Toggle.pkg? It gives me an error after running it.

I'm on a slim 2504CECH 320gb, I had it on 3.55 originally then accidentally upgraded to 4.20 OFW, then got it downgraded to 3.55 and the guy put Rogero 4.21 1.0 CFW on it.

multiMAN now enables the XMB screenshot function :D

Can somebody on 4.21 check that it works on that firmware? It definitely works on Kmeaw 3.55 without messing about with PS3 Usercheat.

MMaRsu

Banned
Got the new Rogero firmware working this afternoon without any real problems. Didn't rename the PUP correctly.. >< Either way I'm on 4.30 now so yeah :D.

jediyoshi

Damn it! It only works if you direct boot the game within multiMAN, if the game is booted with app or disc it won't work :(

Hopefully this can be fixed.

Bummer, only totally a problem with me for psn games though I guess. Would be rad if he got a button combination shortcut to activate it working as well.

According to some reports, Black Ops2 multiplayer is the easiest way to get your CFW console/account banned from SEN.

I just want to go on PSN to purchase a couple of games :( If they were smart about it they would do what Microsoft does and only ban consoles, so people would go out and buy new ones.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I just want to go on PSN to purchase a couple of games :( If they were smart about it they would do what Microsoft does and only ban consoles, so people would go out and buy new ones.

I bought Playstation Plus and a bunch of PSN games this weekend and I haven't been banned yet. I also logged into Home, but I haven't played any online games. Has anyone actually been banned? So far I've only heard rumors but no hard confirmation.

test_account

XP-39C²
He did say he tried to play games through multiman, I wonder if you are still at risk if you only sign on and go to the PSN store.
I have no idea what triggers the bans, but playing through MultiMan (or any other backup manager for that matter) might play a part of it. Rule of thumb is that your account is at risk when connecting, but i havnt heard of any big ban wave yet, so the banning doesnt seem to be very common at least.

Top Bottom