• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican Debate 5 [CNN] To boldly go where no one has gone before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

q3jM5eQ.jpg

This is avatar worthy, A+ OP
GfCTrTL.jpg

Up for grabs

ApharmdX

Banned
Fantastic OT. I'm wondering which will have more on-screen deaths- this week's Star Wars or this week's GOP debate?

I'm going to have to make sure that I'm well-stocked with wine for this. So much crazy stuff has been said since the last debates that I'm sure this one will be an absolute shitshow.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Don't understand you guys and your Republican fetish. Creating a thread about a thing two days before the thing happens isn't even allowed on the gaming side.

Don't understand you guys and your Republican fetish. Creating a thread about a thing two days before the thing happens isn't even allowed on the gaming side.

Yeah, I too have trouble understanding why some people think political events are more important than video game launches.

Yeah, I too have trouble understanding why some people think political events are more important than video game launches.

lol

This thread gave me life, thank you OP. Super excited to see how Trump fares since the universe (sans-racists) turned on him.

Cruz is an insufferable twat though, seriously. Trump is a moron but Cruz is fucking evil.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Lol please... Don't act like you're not here solely for the "lols". You don't get to circlejerk about Trump all day then claim intellectual high ground.

The thread for the next Democratic debate will probably be started 30 mins before kickoff and we'll be lucky if it reaches 10 pages.

Like I said: Republican fetish. On a forum with a pretty left-leaning community. Weird to me, but I guess you guys have the freedom to get off however you like.

Makai

Lol please... Don't act like you're not here solely for the "lols". You don't get to circlejerk about Trump all day then claim intellectual high ground.

The thread for the next Democratic debate will probably be started 30 mins before kickoff and we'll be lucky if it reaches 10 pages.

Like I said: Republican fetish. On a forum with a pretty left-leaning community. Weird to me, but I guess you guys have the freedom to get off however you like.
The Democrats' contest is already settled. The Republican primary is still interesting because of its dynamism.

Along with the point Makai made, the past democratic debates have way more than 10 pages.

And don't act like you don't pop your head into Trump threads.

JustenP88

The Democrats' contest is already settled.

I should know well enough to leave this alone, but... Complacency will definitely serve us well in the GE!

The Republican primary is still interesting because of its dynamism.

Yes, it's a truly 'dynamic' shit show. We're all going to be watching intently to find out where the bevy of viable Republican candidates stand on certain important issues. We're definitely not going to keep our fingers crossed for an N-bomb or a dick-slip or something.

Nope. This is a substantive, important political event!

And don't act like you don't pop your head into Trump threads.

I do from time to time. Mostly to whine about them.

Nothing weird about it at all. On the contrary, it's blatantly obvious why this is. Conservatives serve up lots to laugh at, be repulsed by, and generally entertained by if you enjoy political discussion. Ever watch The Daily Show?

JustenP88

Nothing weird about it at all. On the contrary, it's blatantly obvious why this is. Conservatives serve up lots to laugh at, be repulsed by, and generally entertained by if you enjoy political discussion. Ever watch The Daily Show?

Yeah, I watch the Daily Show sometimes. They do a much better job of lampooning the news than random Internet forums.

I'd argue that a liberal who would rather talk about the dumb Republicans than what's going on in their own camp is more interested in comedy than politics, but it's not up to me to decide these things.

How about ignoring them? Thread whining is typically frowned upon because they offer nothing to the discussion.

I never thought about the ramifications of derailing all the hard-hitting Donald Trump discussions that go on around here.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn it.

I saw CNN was hosting and hoping we would get Anderson Cooper. I would pay actual PPV money to see a GOP debate moderated by Cooper.

This is going to be so bad with Wolf at the helm.

I'd argue that a liberal who would rather talk about the dumb Republicans than what's going on in their own camp is more interested in comedy than politics, but it's not up to me to decide these things.

There's nothing going on in the Democratic camp to talk about. And even if there were, why the fuck do you care enough to crusade against a Republican debate thread?

I never thought about the ramifications of derailing all the hard-hitting Donald Trump discussions that go on around here.

It's less about derailing threads and more about coming into threads with your high and mighty attitude. You're above a funny OP for a debate thread. I think we get it.

If you're so disappointed with the discussions, how about raising the bar and starting a discussion that meets your standards? It's harder than coming into a thread and whining about the same thing over and over for sure, but it might be worthwhile if you feel like the level of discussion is slipping here.

JustenP88

There's nothing going on in the Democratic camp to talk about. And even if there were, why the fuck do you care enough to crusade against a Republican debate thread?

There's nothing going on in the Republican camp outside of "Trump says racist thing" or "new Trump poll shows Trump with pretty much the same Trump numbers as the Trump poll from Trumpsterday."

Your mischaracterization of this as a "crusade" is offensive, sir. I just thought it was funny that GAF requires 3 days to get jacked up for a Republican debate. The thread has every right to exist, of course.

It's less about derailing threads and more about coming into threads with your high and mighty attitude. You're above a funny OP for a debate thread. I think we get it.

I'm not at all above a funny OP for a debate thread. The eagerness is still strange to me, but the theme is neat. You can't really make a thread for this topic without comedy.

The OP made me laugh more then the last few Trevor Noah episodes I've watched.

You know, I really haven't been keeping up that much with TDS since Stewart left. Your point is probably very valid.

A++ OP. Absolutely incredible. New national poll showing Trump up almost 3:1 over anyone else should permit him ample room to fight back on the only thing actually nagging him lately (the one Iowa poll with Cruz up).
If the Democrats' primary was such a massive shitshow full of people completely unqualified for the office they're running for, spewing forth continuous lies and falsehoods, there'd be plenty to fear/laugh at on that side, too. It's not GAF's fault that the GOP has fucked itself up so badly. We're not obligated to spend equal time debating both parties.

Reminder: These sociopaths on stage are running for Motherfucking President Of The Motherfucking United States Of America. It's actually healthy to try to find some humor in it or we'd risk losing our sanity. And seriously, why do you care about what GAF entertains itself with? This country would be a lot better if more people paid this much attention to politics.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Moisture farmer is the funniest thing
Not sure why Huckabee has been relegated when Christie, Rand and Carly have managed to stay in the upper league

Moisture farmer is the funniest thing
Not sure why Huckabee has been relegated when Christie, Rand and Carly have managed to stay in the upper league

Christie at least is polling better in New Hampshire. Carly and Rand have no business being up there, they're not in a position to have any impact on the race.

JustenP88

This country would be a lot better if more people paid this much attention to politics.

I'd add a caveat to that. "This country would be a lot better if more people would pay this much attention to politics without the allure of gimmicky, inflammatory candidates." Nobody who is intently following the Republican primary is taking anything of value from it.

Again, everyone has the right to discuss what they want. There's no quota for equal coverage of both sides. That's fine. I just feel like we passed the point where Trump was funny/interesting a while ago. I'm willing to admit that I'm the one missing the point here.

gabbo

As a non-American, I don't care about the debates so much and won't be watching, but my god that OP is the stuff legends are made of.

Makai

I'd add a caveat to that. "This country would be a lot better if more people would pay this much attention to politics without the allure of gimmicky, inflammatory candidates." Nobody who is intently following the Republican primary is taking anything of value from it.

Again, everyone has the right to discuss what they want. There's no quota for equal coverage of both sides. That's fine. I just feel like we passed the point where Trump was funny/interesting a while ago. I'm willing to admit that I'm the one missing the point here.
I enjoy the sport of politicking. The historical trend has been exciting Democrats and boring Republicans. This time, the Republicans are where the party's at. Simple as that. The sheer number of Republicans makes these comparisons a lot more fun. That's why I do the Republican contests, with Democrats tacked on as a bonus. If I made a Democrat thread in this format, it would look something like:

HAL 9000
Hillary Clintron
artificial intelligence programmed for evil

Dave
Bernie Sanders
don't hold your breath for a victory

Frank
Martin O'Malley
plan to deactivate HAL jeopardizes the mission

Doesn't really work.

Makai

I thought Trump wasn't doing this debate unless CNN paid him $5 million? How did he backpedal out of that?
He said, "I don't have the leverage I want to go through with it. The other candidates will beat me up if I don't show up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom