• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

Moobabe

House of Wolves
Date: March 10th, 2015
Locations: Cosmodrome, Moon, Venus, Reef
Activities: 3 Story, 1 Strike, 1 Raid, 4 PvP Maps

I was honestly hoping that what was in House of Wolves might have changed - it still seems like a small amount of content, especially having played The Dark Below :/

I was certain they would immediately annualize the franchise.

It's been the plan since the beginning to make a main instalment every two years and have an expansion in the intervening years.

Personally I've had no real interest in Destiny so far, but I think it might be time to check it around the time Destiny 2 releases in late 2016.

CozMick

Banned
I will buy every single piece of content for this game.

You hear me Bungie? I want more dance animations @ £1.49 a pop.

Destiny sold a shit load of copies because of hype and name recognisition. But Bungie have not said how many people are still playing or how many people have bought post launch content afaik. So I think it's wrong to say that it seems to be working for them yet.

Their PR team doubling down on pretending there's no criticism they need to address also doesn't mean that the people actually making the game are fine with making Destiny 2 be a poorly a designed game as Destiny 1

Destiny still sells a lot which you can see from Amazon best sellers every week, UK charts and also NPD. I think many people like this repetitive tasks and they get more fun out of this by joining friends so they don't care for single player content as long as they have fun in strikes.

Flipyap

I really can't see this lasting into 2020 as a franchise unless significant changes are made. It needs a deep, overarching story to carry it.
It only needs a story if they intend to keep it as linear and static as it is right now.
If they somehow manage to turn it into a competently-designed loot game by 2024, it will do just fine without a story, assuming people would still want to play it if that happens.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hahahaha. Wow.

One thing that would get me back into Destiny (among others) would be new and interesting content such as planets. Instead, with this so called Comet expansion, we get to go to another boring hive location?

Rurunaki

Shooters have long legs because of online (this is why many games skipping/not caring single player content mostly and focusing on online multiplayer) even though they have negative impressions still their sales are great as they get replay value.

Exactly. No matter how much hate Destiny gets fron GAF and media, it has been a profitable game.

Seanspeed

Banned
So the game is only going to get one worthwhile DLC update? And its likely going to cost more than $20?

So much for DLC being the game's saving grace.

It only needs a story if they intend to keep it as linear and static as it is right now.
If they somehow manage to turn it into a competently-designed loot game by 2024, it will do just fine without a story, assuming people would still want to play it if that happens.

I agree, seems like they want to turn this into competitive online game with new gameplay elements/weapons in future instead of focusing on rich story which is like a optional for them. Most of the games which makes more money are competitive games but not those games which focuses on story and single player content these days which is sad to see.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yes, but people used to pay the price developers ask for small addon (which can't be sold once used like physical copies) and they get lot of income from this and developers are happy about this. This won't stop until people stop supporting which is not gonna happen as we still see Destiny selling great.
Despite what everyone is saying, I do not believe Destiny has legs. I've been playing this game a lot with a lot of people but none of em was happy with the provided content of Dark Below - and time spent playing the game has gone extremely down since the release of Dark Below. I already almost stopped playing completely. No friggin way this game is surviving 9 more months with the added content.

People may come back with Comet but seeing that Activision will probably price it with 40 EUR or more, I assume that many just won't be ready to pay this price.

Lothars

Count me in!

Time between house of wolves and comet seems crazy long...

Yeah I hope there's another content between both of those but it does seem like a really long time between those packs.

Despite what everyone is saying, I do not believe Destiny has legs. I've been playing this game a lot with a lot of people but none of em was happy with the provided content of Dark Below - and time spent playing the game has gone extremely down since the release of Dark Below. I already almost stopped playing completely. No friggin way this game is surviving 9 more months with the added content.

People may come back with Comet but seeing that Activision will probably price it with 40 EUR or more, I assume that many just won't be ready to pay this price.
I disagree I think Destiny has long legs and will continue, it would be nice to get more content packs in between but I have no issue with thinking destiny will be played for a long time.

i'm curious so long as they don't make me pay for enemy spawns on areas i already played through.

that march to september drought is bad though

Altima

Comet: Plague of Darkness
Date: September 2015
Locations: Moon, Venus, Mars, Hive Ship
Activities: 12 Story, 4 Strike, 1 Raid, 1 Location, 6 PvP Maps
Bonus: New subclasses and 2 new weapon types

This location is quite interesting.

tait269

I was honestly hoping that what was in House of Wolves might have changed - it still seems like a small amount of content, especially having played The Dark Below :/

Supposedly the image is from October so any changes wouldn't be reflected in the image anyway.

I'm out after House of Wolves, which I had coming to me anyway. No way am I going to fork over whatever insane asking price this will most likely end up costing. I'll get it on sale if I'm desperate for something to play...but that's probably not going to be an issue in 2015.

Considering the huge prospective gap between Wolves and Comet there, I kinda hope we also see some significant game changes by the time this comes out. Two new weapon types would be hugely welcome, though, because the relatively thin weapon selection is one of the things that really started to wear on me at level 30, along with everything else that pushed me away from the game.

I can't wait for Sony's E3 Conference.

"And now, to prove how extensive 3rd party relationships..."

"HOLY SHIT SHENMUE 3 - FFVIIREMAKE - HALF LIFE 3"

"... welcome Bungie guys to talk about Destiny new expansion! Which contains 1 weapon exclusive to playstation consoles!"

[45 min. live demo]

I doubt a live demo would run that long. They'd run through 8 of the 12 new story missions.

funkypie

Banned
After house of wolves I'm done. Stupidly bought the guardian edition digital. At least I bought the USA one where it was reasonily priced.

I've also noticed a lot less people playing. On my friends list a lot have dropped off or only the odd occasion play it. Most poeple I see playing are from the app that I added to do raid etc. Only people coming back for house of wolves who bought the season pass at lunch. The £20.00 price tag for one dlc is a joke.

Moobabe

Supposedly the image is from October so any changes wouldn't be reflected in the image anyway.

Ah ok - I figured that The Dark Below would be too far along to address any criticisms, but hopefully the next expansion could rectify a few and maybe win back favour with people who have moved on. We'll see.

D3VI0US

The expansion will be the first real test of Destiny's legs because a lot of suckers already bought the Season Pass. The hardcore audience will buy it but how much of Destiny's initial audience do they represent? From the looks of things Comet is a better value with more content at $40ish than the current DLC but is it enough for the mass audience that they are targeting. Maybe Bungie didn't have time to make course corrections with the first two DLC packs but their comments don't inspire confidence. Without a major overhaul for the game it'll be hard to draw people back in.

Seanspeed

Banned
This location is quite interesting.
Is it? You'll be fighting the same enemies you've been fighting already.

I'm really close to just writing the entire franchise off as 'not for me'. It looks like they are going to continue doing what they're doing because it sells and they're making money. They seem to be in no rush to do anything about the heavier criticisms the game has gotten.

EDIT: Ah, image is from October? I suppose that gives some hope.

I'm not interested unless they compeltely overhaul the base mechanics of the game, i.e. less focus on grinding and collecting loot, and more, MUCH more story. Judging from the content description (X new story missions, Y new strikes, Z new raid) it's gonna be the same format, just with more content.

I guess I should wait for Destiny 2.

Well, I'm glad I gave up on this game sooner rather than later. Waiting that long between releases for premium content would only have soured my opinion more if I was still playing... and waiting.

Ah ok - I figured that The Dark Below would be too far along to address any criticisms, but hopefully the next expansion could rectify a few and maybe win back favour with people who have moved on. We'll see.

I doubt it since all the mission zones are already in the game, save I think the raid. I already got some of the ghosts that are hidden in HoW locations. Sure, theres nothing to do there yet, but what else is in any of this game's missions but a few lines of "go here, kill some dudes, pick up an item" dialogue? I think the first two dlcs were already largely complete when the game shipped, and they are just putting finishing touches on them and delaying them to spread out content releases to maintain a steadier user base.

But that's just what it looks like to me from the outside.

Moobabe

I doubt it since all the mission zones are already in the game, save I think the raid. I already got some of the ghosts that are hidden in HoW locations. Sure, theres nothing to do there yet, but what else is in any of this game's missions but a few lines of "go here, kill some dudes, pick up an item" dialogue? I think the first two dlcs were already largely complete when the game shipped, and they are just putting finishing touches on them and delaying them to spread out content releases to maintain a steadier user base.

You're probably right, unfortunately.

Kill3r7

I do not want a destiny 2 to be cross gen. so please dont release one until its 100% on next gen consoles.

The sales numbers have been pretty decent on last gen. Especially on the 360. Heck to put things in perspective the 360 version of COD: AW was the best selling version of the game according to NPD. Not sure they abandon last gen just yet.

Presumably House of Wolves will partially be set in that big control-tower building in the Rocketyard with all the windows that people were glitching into, right?

It's a joke, the majority is so done with this game that even 30 seconds of stage is too much (for the third year in a row)

I got the joke. I was responding with another joke.

So you'll have paid $250 dollars for the full Destiny experience when all is said and done. Great.

$60 for the game
$20 for DLC (assuming each one costs the same). It believe it was $30 for the expansion pass.
$30-$40 for comet expansion

$160-$180. $200 at most unless you bought the ghost addition.

Ovek

7Member7
12 whole new story missions?! Wow how many are defend dinklebot while waves of enemies ignore it and attack you instead?

Altima

Is it? You'll be fighting the same enemies you've been fighting already.

I'm really close to just writing the entire franchise off as 'not for me'. It looks like they are going to continue doing what they're doing because it sells and they're making money. They seem to be in no rush to do anything about the heavier criticisms the game has gotten.

EDIT: Ah, image is from October? I suppose that gives some hope.

Sometimes I can feel that I play this game because I hope it to be better.

Oh Destiny pls be better.

jett

D-Member
I sooo regret getting that dumb expansion pass for Destiny. :| I don't even play the game anymore.

KZObsessed

I wonder how ridiculously expensive the comet expansion will be? £40? After house of wolves which I get for "free" I can't see myself paying anymore money. Shame because the raids are excellent as are the weapons/gunplay, but being forced to replay boring content over and over to progress saps the enjoyment out of it.

Pooya

no new planet zzz. I still have that super beautiful Europa concept art as my wallpaper :\ don't think I will bother with any of these (this game gonna demand like $100 worth of DLC to keep up, f that)

Destiny 2 it is. In the end the game not having any notable narrative elements or continuity is kind of beneficial, you can jump back in wherever you want. lol

geordiemp

Jumped into new crota raid and cheesed it in about 10 minutes. Don eit 3 or 4 times now, got that new fire sniper twice. Im done now.

There is just not enough content and the stuff that is there can be cheesed and is too predictable in spawns.

They need to do a Destiny 2, and have locations blocked off like arenas by force field walls, more enemies at variable spawn locations, more enemies, more locations.

Also crucible needs to be 60 FPS. Drop last gen.....

Then it will be epic.

Presumably House of Wolves will partially be set in that big control-tower building in the Rocketyard with all the windows that people were glitching into, right?

Also up in the Citadel on Venus that you ride the big blue tractor beam up into. I forget what the third location was.

There was also the bug that some people found where the locations were already on their star maps, descriptions and all, but access was locked.

And of course all the new items have already been data-mined.

So outside of cutscenes and dialog, and the raid location, people have already found everything in the HoW dlc. Its all already in the game. And, well, seeing as how the Crota dlc didn't have a single cutscene, I'm willing to bet HoW won't have any either. So that really just leaves the raid and some dialog. The dialogue most likely just being a sack of one-liners from another bounty handler. I'd guess even that part is done and its just the raid thats still being tweaked. Pretty lame.

Edit: Oh yeah the raid is in the Reef, and we saw a Reef player hub in a trailer that came out back in 2013, so we know that was also already in development long before the game released too. Assuming its part of this dlc. I'd actually wager that mysterious player-hub is going to be part of the Comet dlc (maybe the hive ship will be located there too).

Top Bottom