• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The way it's looking is

Destiny -$60
Destiny Expansion Pass -$35 or $20 separate/$40 combined

Destiny "Comet" = $60, it will have Destiny + Destiny Expansion I & II +"Comet"
Destiny "Comet" upgrade = $30, with Expansion Pass II - $60
Destiny "Comet" + Expansion Pass II (Expansion III & IV) = $90
Destiny Expansion II = $35 or $20 each separate/$40 combined

Bungie doesn't get to fall back on the MMO crutch, as they vehemently said the game was not to be considered an MMO.

It's a shooter, who cares if someone got an item easier?
It's supposed to be "jump in, have some fun with friends, jump out".

People just go all MMO grind mad with their "OMG I NEED THREE CHARACTERS TO DO ALL CONTENT THREE TIMES" stuff.

The game routinely has 8k+ viewers on twitch, putting it in the Top 10 basically every day. When the new raid opened up the game had 30k+ viewers for basically two-three days.

It is definitely doing quite well.

They may have said that, but for all intents and purposes Destiny is an MMO. It is just the first time we have had a FPS/MMO hybrid like this. The gameplay is so smooth and fluid, that it keeps the game fun for me 400+ hours in. If you don't enjoy the Crucible, then the game is probably not for you though.

inki

IMO (Not what I want, what I think)

Comet $40 (perhaps $30).

Comet (on disc) $60 ($50) with Previous 2 DLC

Comet (on disc) $60 ($50) with next 2 DLC

Destiny GoTY $60

Destiny GoTY $90 ($80) with Comet Expansion

ok, so let me get this correct.

Base game: $60
DLC pass 1: $35 ($40 if bought separately)
Expansion: $30-$40
DLC pass 2: $35($40 if bought separately)

Total With Season Passes + $40 Expansion: $170
Total Without Season Passes + $40 Expansion: $190

Wow, that's almost $200 per gamer

If you want to milk your customers, you gotta be stealthy. Take a lesson Ubisoft.

GraveRobberX

You guys are misinterpreting "Comet"

Think of Comet as Destiny 1.5
All the patches/upgrades/overhaul on Disc of Destiny + all DLC released and the new "Comet" content

GraveRobberX

DLC pass 1: $30 ($40 if bought separately)
DLC pass 2: $30($40 if bought separately)

Total With Season Passes + $40 Expansion: $160
Total Without Season Passes + $40 Expansion: $180

If you want to milk your customers, you gotta be stealthy. Take a lesson Ubisoft.

Now do COD or Ass Creed in the same way, look how much they turn out to be...

People alreayd playing Destiny will not be buying "Comet" full fledged, they'll just buy that expansion, why purchase Destiny 1 again?

For me it's

Destiny + Expansion I & II - $90
Destiny Comet + Expansion III & IV - $60-$70

So roughly $150-160, almost paying Collector's Edition price for the game + it's stuff

Kiant

So the plan is what?

Destiny (2014) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny: with Comet Add-On (2015) - just under full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny 2 (2016) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks

Is that right?

Looking that way.

Question is, will anyone be playing Destiny in fall 2015? I mean the 'expansion packs' are not exactly filled with content. The price for the 'comet' pack is going to be outrageous in the UK.

Klyka

Banned

3303Q.jpg

jett

D-Member
Sony needs to quit shoving out Destiny at every conference. It's not really doing much for them anymore. I can't believe they wasted time at PSX for Destiny DLC.

It's obvious they're under a cross-promotion contract with Activision. They will keep doing this for the foreseeable future.

ShogunX

With Halo 5, Black Ops 3, Uncharted 4 and a new Battlefield all hitting this year I can only see the popularity of Destiny nose diving. September seems so far away when it comes to significant new content.

Sojgat

Comet DLC is more in line with what I expected from The Dark Below. And September?

This is completely insane. I'm glad I jumped out when I did, The core of the game is fantastic, but there just isn't enough content to support it. Everything detailed in that picture is what the base game needed to have at launch.

XAL

You guys are misinterpreting "Comet"

Think of Comet as Destiny 1.5
All the patches/upgrades/overhaul on Disc of Destiny + all DLC released and the new "Comet" content

Comet Physical: is Destiny+DLC 1 and 2 AND the Plague of Darkness expansion.

Comet Digital Upgrade:

is Plague of Darkness expansion
has 12 story missions.
New subclass.
New patrol area (rumored to be Hive Ship)
2 new weapon types.
etc

It's a large expansion.

At the very least, Dark Below and House of Wolves were supposed to be included in the original release. Looking at all of the footage and interviews a year prior to release they showed off a Reef hub world, the Queen's brother was supposed to be an NPC that did story missions with you, and there was to be more than 1 raid in the original game.

Not to mention a level that took place near Saturn and Mercury (which they had as locations as the flight/loading screens were already complete for those locations).

This sounds more and more true each time these leaks show up. something happened with the story and they weren't able to finish the game in time for ship, so they took out some parts, rewrote the rest, and used the chunks in place of the new DLC they were supposed to develop to buy time for the expansion and next DLCs (which are actually going to be 100% new this time).

Maybe Marty was fired for accidentally deleting half of the game?

XAL

This sounds more and more true each time these leaks show up. something happened with the story and they weren't able to finish the game in time for ship, so they took out some parts, rewrote the rest, and used the chunks in place of the new DLC they were supposed to develop to buy time for the expansion and next DLCs (which are actually going to be 100% new this time).

Haha.

No my best guess is that this was like a Halo 2 situation for them.

They just came off of a hot game/franchise and had to make something huge that 1 uppped their previous release.

They ended up being wayyy too ambitious and didn't meet their milestones and had to scrap a lot of the way the game was and completely redo the whole thing in the last year before release.

With Halo 2 they had to scrap the entire game and ended up losing the ending levels.

With Destiny Activision probably stepped in and told them they needed to chop content out for later because they weren't going to delay the game for Bungie to finish it properly.

They ended up having to cut Dark Below and House of Wolves content, which were woven into the game release, and therefore the game's story didn't make any fucking sense. And when that happened the story was fragmented and minimalized to almost nothing.

This is probably Jason Jones left Bungie about a year before the game came out.

It makes sense because the biggest cutscene in the game and the character in cutscenes that have the most screentime were the queen and her brother.

I wonder if the Reef hub was part of the old structure of the game and it has no place in the current state of the game.

Its just extremely obvious at this point that they cut out content to sell as DLCs / put in the season pass. Extremely lame move considering the base game is so light on content. The real DLC is COMET and they are going to charge an ADDITIONAL fee for it. Unreal.

I feel like the board room meetings near the end of release were probably super diabolical. Like basically "we spent way too much on this game, how can we piece meal it to suck more out of our customers to recoup the cost?". Lots of scheming led to this DLC path forward no doubt.

I think I'll cut my losses with Destiny, I made a huge mistake preordering the digital LE. These paltry "expansions" probably won't stay on my radar long. I enjoy the gameplay but I'm not gonna spend more money to keep grinding like this.

I have friends who are all about this new stuff so if they can really convince me that it's good enough then I'll give it a shot.

Destiny was the only digital game I preordered in 2014, probably won't make that mistake again.

Flipyap

It sucks, but every other MMO works the same way. In fact we are lucky that our Exotics don't become obsolete, as we can respec them.
Every other WoW clone works the same way.
Star Trek Online, which is an instanced MMO with a huge focus on story - the exact thing lots of people want Destiny to be, saw many major additions and a proper capital-E Expansion before they raised the level cap in the second one.
Plus, Destiny is a real-time action game. They don't need to ever raise the level cap to offer new challenges and with such a limited weapon sandbox, it shouldn't be hard to introduce new weapon types for people to lust after for years to come. And if they simply lack the imagination to come up with interesting weapons, they could start by ripping off any random Insomniac game, or maybe... Halo.

Tiops

Way less stuff than I expected. Look at the amount of content we're getting in FFXIV expansion... It's a real shame, as I enjoyed,Destiny a lot, but it seems that the lack of content will always be a thing.

cakely

Interesting. Looks like a significant amount of content if there's a new patrol area.

I'm guessing $40, plus two comet expansion for $20 each.

I'm still playing nearly every day now (yes, skinner box, I get it) but I have no idea if I'll be on board come September.

It sucks, but every other MMO works the same way. In fact we are lucky that our Exotics don't become obsolete, as we can respec them.

If you're going to compare Destiny to an MMO, you're going to have a bad time.

By MMO standards Destiny is utter shit in terms of content and things to do.

TyrantII

"Vex TBD" I think it says (TBD=to be determined)

I see VEX VOG. If this was early maybe they had it as stand alone and moved it up when the other raid wasn't ready.

VOG was pretty glitchy itself at launch. CE is much more straigt forward too and less glitchy, but harder to remove from the DLC built around it.

Toski

Its just extremely obvious at this point that they cut out content to sell as DLCs / put in the season pass. Extremely lame move considering the base game is so light on content. The real DLC is COMET and they are going to charge an ADDITIONAL fee for it. Unreal.

I feel like the board room meetings near the end of release were probably super diabolical. Like basically "we spent way too much on this game, how can we piece meal it to suck more out of our customers to recoup the cost?". Lots of scheming led to this DLC path forward no doubt.

I disagree. With all the rumors and major departures at Bungie, its obvious this games had development difficulties and was retooled. My guess is Bungie hit their drop dead date with Activision and shipped what they had.

inki

I honestly believe Destiny 2 will have MANY changes to the way the game is played as well as an origination of the story. They have to remake the platform to get those changes in and that won't happen until Destiny 2.

I'm hoping for a change akin to AC1 -> AC2

I honestly believe Destiny 2 will have MANY changes to the way the game is played as well as an origination of the story. They have to remake the platform to get those changes in and that won't happen until Destiny 2.

I'm hoping for a change akin to AC1 -> AC2

Nope, you will go down a corridor, Ghost will say things you dont understand, he will scan a door, you will protect him from 3 waves of anyways, then you will get 1 raid.

That's what Destiny is, Bungie is thinking like a business man, not as a game developer.

I disagree. With all the rumors and major departures at Bungie, its obvious this games had development difficulties and was retooled. My guess is Bungie hit their drop dead date with Activision and shipped what they had.

What you said doesn't dismiss the fact that we saw lots of content that was cut, and is either on the game disk un-used and getting repackaged as DLC that people have to shell out $$$ for.

I bet most of the stuff we are getting is mostly done at launch, but just didn't fit into the new scope of the game and "story". Most of the Destiny team is probably well on to Destiny 2, with a small team fixing up the cut content to mold into the Destiny we got.

If you're going to compare Destiny to an MMO, you're going to have a bad time.

By MMO standards Destiny is utter shit in terms of content and things to do.

I get bored because other MMO's just aren't that fun to me. You can have loads of content, but if the gameplay is shite well you know. Destiny has the best gunplay around. Now obviously it's not for everyone, but there is no denying it has AAA gameplay.

TyrantII

Counterpoint, I added up my three classes and have 510 hours into this game. Next DLC still isn't out yet too.

That's a pretty low cost / entertainment hours.

I still think there should he more content and customization, but the game has paid for itself already IMO for me me.

inki

Nope, you will go down a corridor, Ghost will say things you dont understand, he will scan a door, you will protect him from 3 waves of anyways, then you will get 1 raid.

That's what Destiny is, Bungie is thinking like a business man, not as a game developer.

I hope thats not the case. If it is that would suck. They did things a bit different for the first DLC but are still confined to the platform (it being a bounty for instance).

TheYanger

I get bored because other MMO's just aren't that fun to me. You can have loads of content, but if the gameplay is shite well you know. Destiny has the best gunplay around. Now obviously it's not for everyone, but there is no denying it has AAA gameplay.

I don't deny that, at the end of the day if you want to play a decent shooter MMO there are very few options (this and planetside realistically), but I do think it's fair to compare what you're getting for your money. Yeah if you compare the 'hours' to other games it's a landslide for any kind of MMO-like game. That's a given. But I also think it's pretty relevent to consider the genre here, since a lot of that 'time' is grindy stuff that while not unfun per se is a real lull compared to the high points.

Marcel

They are fucking daft if they think they're gonna soak me for anymore money after that shit-tier DLC. I'm sure some of the addicts are ready to pay out though.

Oh yea, great gunplay. ADS really makes the gunplay fast paced and makes aiming really skill based. Walking around with a handcannon aiming in and letting the games aim assist pull off auto headshots really sounds like "the best gunplay around".

Counterpoint, I added up my three classes and have 510 hours into this game. Next DLC still isn't out yet too.

I still think there should he more content and customization, but the game has paid for itself already IMO for me me.

Just because a game has addictive qualities of an MMO doesn't mean it has good content or is good.

macewank

So the only reference Mercury will ever get in "Destiny 1" is a PVP map, despite being shown early on as one of the playable areas.. Still no Chicago...

The design decisions make my head hurt. I have no idea what's going on over at Bungie, but... Something ain't right. It's becoming more and more apparent that the rumors about content being cut from the retail release are true, but what happened to all of the stuff we already saw?

I have a bunch of hours in it too but its a very low quality per hour.

The story missions/strikes are the same.

-Ghost says something you dont understand because the story telling is so bad.
-Ghost scans a door, you defend him from 3 waves of enemies
-A normal mob is given a shit ton of HP and is called a "boss".

They have fetch quests that send you to do more fetch quests, their RNG is a disaster, they made the Vault of Glass irrelevant after the first expansion (which is a crime because the raids are actually great, shitty loot system aside).

You have to redo all these boring story missions/strikes/daily missions hundreds of times.

The game is completely devoid of genuine content, then i see they have 150+ dollars worth DLC and i cant help but feel cheated.

LAA

I think Bungie should be offering some goodwill really. I think its fair to say most people have been shocked and disappointed with the lack of content, I think the only way to try and fix and apoologise for that is to give some free dlc, because personally, (as someone who got the limited edition with expansion pass), I'm not interested in the next dlc if I have to pay for it, and I'm not interested in Destiny 2 if its going to be similar to this.

ethomaz

Banned
So the plan is what?

Destiny (2014) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny: with Comet Add-On (2015) - just under full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny 2 (2016) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks

Is that right?
I guess so... I'm hoping Destiny 2 to be a expansion instead a new game.

Amory

So what's the level cap now, or is it still 30?

I played this game too much for the first month and a half or so after launch but eventually moved on to different stuff. Glad I did, too. It's a fun game for what it is, but I don't want to support these kinds of shady business practices.

At the rate they're going, even if they had released all of the story that they're going to tell in DLC with the original game, the story would still be garbage compared to what we should expect from a triple A game.

DMiz

I'm actually curious, given this schedule, what Bungie plans to do for Destiny 2.

Considering the amount of time it took to get even the first game shipped out - and we're all painfully aware of how much content was produced within that amount of time for the first title, of which we are unaware of how much was discarded due to internal development issues - I highly doubt they will go for an entirely different set of content. Unless something internally has radically changed, the current team doesn't inspire me as being capable of suddenly being able to lift the gunplay wholesale and produce the planets and explorable space that have been lampooned in the current title.

With that said, I wonder if the mainstay goal at this point is simply to continue carving out parts of the current map and making them work. From a marketing perspective, it won't be attractive to keep pumping out these expansion packs - though "Destiny 2" will certainly have mixed and positive message - but I also don't expect some kind of reworking from the bottom up. What a conundrum.

Marcel

I think Bungie should be offering some goodwill really. I think its fair to say most people have been shocked and disappointed with the lack of content, I think the only way to try and fix and apoologise for that is to give some free dlc, because personally, (as someone who got the limited edition with expansion pass), I'm not interested in the next dlc if I have to pay for it, and I'm not interested in Destiny 2 if its going to be similar to this.

I think it's safe to say that after all of Bungie's hand-wringing and tone deafness, they really don't give a shit about us.

TyrantII

Just because a game has addictive qualities of an MMO doesn't mean it has good content or is good.

Opinions man. My friends list would disagree.

Don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of complaints; but the game is quite the social FPS. People either love it or hate it, and I regularly play with a large group that loves it. Its fun.

Nabbis

Looks barren and without any fundamental changes. I somewhat expected this due to their inability to communicate with the players about any concrete plans for the future of this game.

XAL

I see VEX VOG. If this was early maybe they had it as stand alone and moved it up when the other raid wasn't ready.

VOG was pretty glitchy itself at launch. CE is much more straigt forward too and less glitchy, but harder to remove from the DLC built around it.

I see VOG as well.

There are plenty of side areas in there that weren't used for anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go deeper into the vault.

Marcel

Opinions man. My friends list would disagree.

Don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of complaints; but the game is quite the social FPS. People either love it or hate it, and I regularly play with a large group that loves it. Its fun.

my anecdotal evidence proves you wrong

Top Bottom