• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

LAA

I guess so... I'm hoping Destiny 2 to be a expansion instead a new game.

Thats a good idea actually, I'd be more willing I guess if Destiny 2 is just a big dlc for Destiny, but for me, bungie have a lot to prove for me to buy anything next for Destiny (apart from House of wolves which is already paid for).

KageMaru

This is a joke. Many of my friends and I are just waiting for another good co-op game we could play on the PS4 so we can drop destiny entirely. I really hope this plan fails for them so they may reevaluate how they move forward with the franchise.

Footos22

I sold mine and wouldnt buy the dlc but if the "comet" is infact the main game plus all the dlc plus "plague of darkness" they got me by the balls and i like it. I only paid 20 quid for the vanilla game so ill happily buy it again. 160 hours of pure fun met loads of new ppl to play with too.

hohoXD123

Oh, thought the expansion was going to be called "Comet: Plague of Darkness", but I'm guessing the word "Comet" is in there for the same reason as Assassin's Creed: Comet.

May get this depending on the pricing, though looking at the Dark Below pricing I'm not too hopeful. Only one new location is pretty disappointing too.

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny 2 is gonna be a full game, and this cycle of DLC/Expansion will repeat with every base game.
Yeap... I believe it will be sold like a full game.

But I hope that it will be a expansion for current owners already.

Destiny 2 Full: $60
Destiny 2 Upgrade: $40

Like others online games... Diablo 3 1.0, Diablo 3 2.0, Diablo 3 2.1, etc.

Marcel

Yeap... I believe it will be sold like a full game.

But I hope that it will be a expansion for current owners already.

Destiny 2 Full: $60
Destiny 2 Upgrade: $40

Like others online games... Diablo 3 1.0, Diablo 3 2.0, Diablo 3 2.1, etc.

Judging from the Bungie tax on the Dark Below, I seriously doubt it. People who already have the game will have to pay up like everyone else.

gdt

Sweet can't wait. Seems like there should be something else in there for that summer drought though.

Deku Tree

I thought this was an old leak. So the image is new?

I hope Destiny 2 lets you bring your old locations and missions with you.
It would be dull to go from lots of missions and locations from all this DLC
To a new game with the same number of missions as Destiny had at launch.

They wouldn't require the two pieces of DLC to be able to buy and play this content, would they? And for that matter, will the fist DLC be required to play the second?

XAL

Sweet can't wait. Seems like there should be something else in there for that summer drought though.

Yeah.

Basically they're doing a mirror cycle to the current schedule so that you will buy Destiny 2 the following September in 2016.

Deku Tree

They wouldn't require the two pieces of DLC to be able to buy and play this content, would they? And for that matter, will the fist DLC be required to play the second?

No I don't think so. They will design a system that allows you to buy and play any of the DLC without the other ones.

XAL

It wouldn't require DLC 1 and 2, but you'd still be missing out on content from DLC 1 and 2.

FyreWulff

I'm actually curious, given this schedule, what Bungie plans to do for Destiny 2.

Considering the amount of time it took to get even the first game shipped out - and we're all painfully aware of how much content was produced within that amount of time for the first title, of which we are unaware of how much was discarded due to internal development issues

We're aware?

Truth is closer to the fact that they wrote a new engine for a new game. Destiny isn't the Reach engine. Writing a whole new engine, with all new engine content tools, is why Destiny took so long to get to release. Rest of anything after that is normal game development.

XAL

No kidding, The Dark Below is 90% reused assets from the original game, imagine if they actually had to make new content.

They're reused assets because they were supposed to be in the game initially, but were cut out because they couldn't meet their date and had to be cut out for DLC.

Same goes for House of Wolves.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
hmm so it won't be Destiny 2? I am curious to see how they are going to pull this off. If its just another big expansion, its going to bomb hard. Word of mouth around Destiny is really bad at the moment. The way I see it, they need Destiny 2 real bad. We will know for sure at E3.

Marcel

They're reused assets because they were supposed to be in the game initially, but were cut out because they couldn't meet their date and had to be cut out for DLC.

Same goes for House of Wolves.

As if this were a good excuse for the price or for any of it really. I'm sorry that Bungie's bonus would have been lower if they didn't meet the date but that's not my problem as the consumer who's expected to pay for this hollow content.

XAL

hmm so it won't be Destiny 2? I am curious to see how they are going to pull this off. If its just another big expansion, its going to bomb hard. Word of mouth around Destiny is really bad at the moment. The way I see it, they need Destiny 2 real bad. We will know for sure at E3.

Destiny 2 is already scheduled for fall 2016

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I feel like, at this point, Bungie are just testing the limits of predominantly console gamer's desire to grind dozens if not hundreds of hours through repetitive content to get some better loot. They (Activision/Bungie) have the telemetry and analytics to justify their 2015 plan. Acti-Bliz also own WOW. They're not stupid.

Ghazi

We're aware?

Truth is closer to the fact that they wrote a new engine for a new game. Destiny isn't the Reach engine. Writing a whole new engine, with all new engine content tools, is why Destiny took so long to get to release. Rest of anything after that is normal game development.

If they wrote a new game engine, it seems pretty limited in terms of mechanics. Examples being the exotic upgrade system, the forced coupling of Gatekeepers and Swordbearers spawns, perks bugging out, the fact that almost all progression in missions is tied to killing specific enemies and nothing else, and that it seems like they struggle to update the game by either taking a long amount of time for simple changes or introducing more issues with updates.

XAL

As if this were a good excuse for the price or for any of it really. I'm sorry that Bungie's bonus would have been lower if they didn't meet the date but that's not my problem as the consumer who's expected to pay for this hollow content.

The game should have been delayed.

But Activision didn't give a shit and made them cut out content (DLC1+2+more) and release it as DLC.

Cutting this content made the game's story fractured nonsense, which is why the lead story dev Joe Staten left a year before release in the middle of production.

If they wrote a new game engine, it seems pretty limited in terms of mechanics. Examples being the exotic upgrade system, the forced coupling of Gatekeepers and Swordbearers spawns, perks bugging out, the fact that almost all progression in missions is tied to killing specific enemies and nothing else, and that it seems like they struggle to update the game by either taking a long amount of time for simple changes or introducing more issues with updates.

I still maintain that they were far too ambitious and had to scrap a fuckton of content to make release. Looking at early footage of the game, in game footage, it looks much better than how Destiny looks now. better lighting, better textures, better particle effects, etc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So what's the level cap now, or is it still 30?

Level cap is @ 20
After 20, you have to put on gear with Light stat that pushes you upwards to the max possible

@ Launch it was level cap @ 20, Light 30 (need +120 Light on gear (total), +30 on each of the 4 armor pieces to get there)

The Dark Below, cap is still @20, Light is now 32 (need +144 light on gear (total), +36 on each of the 4 armor pieces to get there)

House of Wolves (guesstimating) cap will be @20, Light most likely will be 35 (need +180 on gear (total), + 45 on each of the armor pieces to get there)

Guessing "Comet" Plague of Darkness will move soft cap from 20 to 30, so leveling up to 30 will be the new soft cap
Then new gear/light + stat will get introduced which will push us to 40
So that my theory

Then expansion III will be cap @30, with light 42
Then expansion IV will be cap @30, with light pushing us to 45

Then Destiny 2 rolls around and most likely 50+ level come sin and wouldn't be surprised if they go the WoW way of boosting people at least to 40 quickly

Ghazi

But Activision didn't give a shit and made them cut out content (DLC1+2+more) and release it as DLC.

Cutting this content made the game's story fractured nonsense, which is why the lead story dev Joe Staten left a year before release in the middle of production.

You act like the DLC added to the game makes it make sense. It doesn't. The DLC is just as bad, add to the fact that there's only three story missions in existing areas and the idea that all of this was simply cut falls apart. It's not like they made the content then sat on it for three months.

Nabbis

I wonder how much of it is Activision and how much of it is Bungie. Even if the supposed cut content is due to Activision, Bungie themselves are failing to provide any new mechanics for this game and failed to develop the needed content in time for the games release.

Deku Tree

Level cap is @ 20
After 20, you have to put on gear with Light stat that pushes you upwards to the max possible

@ Launch it was level cap @ 20, Light 30 (need +120 Light on gear (total), +30 on each of the 4 armor pieces to get there)

The Dark Below, cap is still @20, Light is now 32 (need +144 light on gear (total), +36 on each of the 4 armor pieces to get there)

House of Wolves (guesstimating) cap will be @20, Light most likely will be 35 (need +180 on gear (total), + 45 on each of the armor pieces to get there)

Guessing "Comet" Plague of Darkness will move soft cap from 20 to 30, so leveling up to 30 will be the new soft cap
Then new gear/light + stat will get introduced which will push us to 40
So that my theory

Then expansion III will be cap @30, with light 42
Then expansion IV will be cap @30, with light pushing us to 45

Then Destiny 2 rolls around and most likely 50+ level come sin and wouldn't be surprised if they go the WoW way of boosting people at least to 40 quickly

A level soft cap of 30 would make it harder for people to re-level alts in order to get weekly rewards more than once. Why would they raise the level soft cap?

XAL

You act like the DLC added to the game makes it make sense. It doesn't. The DLC is just as bad, add to the fact that there's only three story missions in existing areas and the idea that all of this was simply cut falls apart. It's not like they made the content then sat on it for three months.

All of that content AND MORE was supposed to be in the game.

Saturn, Mercury. Etc.
The Queens brother was supposed to be an NPC.
Reef hub world.
etc etc

The entire game was basically scrapped a year before release and they fudged together some assets and chopped up the story and pasted it together in something that was barely resembling a full game release.

They were saying before release that when the game came out it would have multiple raids available, etc.

I'm not blaming Activision, I blame Bungie for not meeting their fucking dev milestones.

I wonder how much of it is Activision and how much of it is Bungie. Even if the supposed cut content is due to Activision, Bungie themselves are failing to provide any new mechanics for this game and failed to develop the needed content in time for the games release.

I posted something a page back, basically it was a repeat of the Halo 2 situation. They went too big and too ambitious, they ended up realizing they weren't going to make release by like a year. So they scrapped the whole thing and put as much of it together in the final year as possible in the hopes that it would be a full game.

Marcel

The false narrative of "it's all Activision's fault" has always been silly. The game would still be a dull mess even if there wasn't some shadowy hand of industry potentially involving themselves.

FyreWulff

They're getting more familiar with the tools they have. Much more inter-locked parts than a typical Halo campaign, so they've got to build some institutional knowledge in that respect.

XAL

The false narrative of "it's all Activision's fault" has always been silly. The game would still be a dull mess even if there wasn't some shadowy hand of industry potentially involving themselves.

Bungie is most at fault. Activision just wouldn't put up with delaying the game for up to a year (which they're pretty much in the right there).

The game that Destiny was supposed to be probably won't be realized until Destiny 2.

Bedlam

Reading the release plan detailled in the OP ... this is about as clinical and soulless as game development can get. Absolutely disgusting.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Making anyone who actually did the huge amount of grind in Destiny feel even dumber.

Not really
No one makes a fuss about in WoW, hell it's an added feature for the game
They are just getting boosted, they can try to do the content that is there, now one is holding them hostage to take the shortcut

I mean we have a nice tight-knit community here on GAF, I mean I have roughly 250 GAFfers playing Destiny over the week on my FL
I socialize with a lot of them, hell I get requested to do so much stuff or help out, that sometimes I ask to be left alone from too much fun with other GAFfers, just to get m bearings

A level soft cap of 30 would make it harder for people to re-level alts in order to get weekly rewards more than once. Why would they raise the level soft cap?

Progression man, you can't keep plateauing just cause
Sorry for those who want to create alts/toons every 6 hours and do Raid, get loot, delete and repeat

I mean the game needs to push on all cylinders to have forward progress not stagnate on old stuff and just patch up here and there to make it feel like it's moving forward

pompidu

Even though I enjoy playing Destiny. It will probably go down as the most disappointing/ripoff of a game this generation.

Ghazi

All of that content AND MORE was supposed to be in the game.

Saturn, Mercury. Etc.
The Queens brother was supposed to be an NPC.
Reef hub world.
etc etc

The entire game was basically scrapped a year before release and they fudged together some assets and chopped up the story and pasted it together in something that was barely resembling a full game release.

They were saying before release that when the game came out it would have multiple raids available, etc.

Things change. The people at Bungie are real people with a passion to create good stuff, I doubt they cut everything out to sell it back to you piecemeal. I'm sure they did the best they could. You can tell there were a lot of internal issues in the studio, what with Staten's departure and Marty's firing. Pure speculation, but while Bungie might've not liked being under MS, MS knew how to manage a studio. It doesn't seem like whoever's in charge is doing that great a job.
Bungie is most at fault. Activision just wouldn't put up with delaying the game for up to a year.

For how long it was in development, and how much Activision likely spent on the game (probably one of the higher tier budgets for a new IP), I don't blame them. It was a huge investment, one that was in the oven since at least 2008.

ethomaz

Banned
Because they will add a new Subclass... the game have level cap to subclass... so they will need to have something over 20 to add more subclasses.

Marcel

Even though I enjoy playing Destiny. It will probably go down as the most disappointing/ripoff of a game this generation.

Destiny might get a lot of flak but at least's not AC: Unity. That game was released in an embarrassing state for $59.99, so much so that they had to apologize with free DLC and free games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Level 31 Hunter here and yes playing with friends can be fun, the grinding not so much. But It's safe to say there is more content in Resident Evil 4 a horror adventure game that Capcom scrapped twice than Destiny.

Marcel

Look, I know if pains some gaffers that Destiny is a success, even if somewhat flawed, but thems the ropes.

Plenty of people enjoy it, and have made it a pretty successful new IP.

sOzvHpx.jpg

I just realized that I'm going to play this game forever... I might have an addiction problem. lol
Bungie wins then, because the game was clearly designed that way.

Not judging either, I put in over 60+ hours, my addiction just fizzled out quicker than some.

SerTapTap

I've seen "comet" refer to several "annualized" titles' games like this, what exactly does that mean? Can't find anything on Google due to all the actual games with comet in the title/plot.

Marcel

I've seen "comet" refer to several "annualized" titles' games like this, what exactly does that mean? Can't find anything on Google due to all the actual games with comet in the title/plot.

It's a generic subtitle that reads well from a marketing perspective. You even showing interest in finding the meaning shows how they have you.

Bungie always had a habbit of hyping up a release beyond realism in vidocs, destiny was one of their biggest video mistakes.

Still I do believe some stuff was cut back or dropped, there's areas and hub worlds in year+ old trailers which looked as polished as what we have now.

it's like a 1.5 release, a year after the original, their own version of a GOTY package sold as a new release.

From learked stuff their plan seems to be game one year, comet release the next, sequel the year after, comet 2 a year after that...

pompidu

Destiny might get a lot of flak but at least's not AC: Unity. That game was released in an embarrassing state for $59.99, so much so that they had to apologize with free DLC and free games.

Ive written off that series. At least destiny plays great and I still have a decnt time playing it.

Top Bottom