• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

ekim

So my Season Pass got me covered, or...?

Nope. Only expansion 1 and 2. Dark Below & House of Wolves

destiny_o.jpg

So the plan is what?

Destiny (2014) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny: with Comet Add-On (2015) - just under full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks
Destiny 2 (2016) - full price
+ DLC 1 - 15 bucks
+ DLC 2 - 15 bucks

Is that right?

BokehKing

Banned
A whole new zone to stand around and protect your ghost in?
I think we are done with that, if you played the most recent dlc you would know that.

Anyway

I'm very excited for this, seeing how Destiny is the only game I play on consoles really.

I'm sure all those releases have ps4 exclusive maps
I'm also sure X1 copies of comet will include all the previous ps4 content.

TheYanger

I'm sort of at a loss to justify the value proposition at work here. You're getting SUBSTANTIALLY less content per year than a subscription MMO, which you could just sub to twice a year if you wanted to (plus expansions, which I'm not counting in the Destiny case, but that offers even worse value from the looks of this).

I mean if you added both destiny patch/DLCs it'd be like, as much content as one wow or rift or pick your poison MMO patch...and those come out 4 times a year instead of twice.

eot

Banned
They could not come up with worse names for this shit if they tried. It's like self parody.

Ont

Even with lack of content, Destiny was the game I played most during the last year. It will probably be my most played game this year as well unless Rainbow Six Siege is totally amazing.

BraXzy

Gotta be honest, I have barely touched the recent DLC. I was meaning to play the Raid day one but couldn't get to level 30 and realised the constant grinding wasn't worth my time. I think I've about had my fill. Decent experience overall, I can't complain at my moneys worth. But it feels a little wasted.

The initial content was lacking and I expected DLC to add a few new planets. That shows me I guess :/

BokehKing

Banned
I'm sort of at a loss to justify the value proposition at work here. You're getting SUBSTANTIALLY less content per year than a subscription MMO, which you could just sub to twice a year if you wanted to (plus expansions, which I'm not counting in the Destiny case, but that offers even worse value from the looks of this).

I mean if you added both destiny patch/DLCs it'd be like, as much content as one wow or rift or pick your poison MMO patch...and those come out 4 times a year instead of twice.
Stop comparing a fledgling new IP experience to a g
Established game that is a decade old. As of right now, we are at what? The 5 month mark? Game is already more successful than a handful of "WoW Killers"

A year of WoW if paying monthly = $180
Let's say you want to play on a different server that's - $25, and you want to boost a opposing faction character to 90, there is another $60, to boost a character. Oh wait, expansion incoming, that's another $60

So yeah... wow makes money, they can afford to pump out free content, the team us much larger and have been doing it forever.

Destiny I paid $90 upfront, no monthly subscription.

Jigorath

Banned
I can't wait for Sony's E3 Conference.

"And now, to prove how extensive 3rd party relationships..."

"HOLY SHIT SHENMUE 3 - FFVIIREMAKE - HALF LIFE 3"

"... welcome Bungie guys to talk about Destiny new expansion! Which contains 1 weapon exclusive to playstation consoles!"

[45 min. live demo]

Sony needs to quit shoving out Destiny at every conference. It's not really doing much for them anymore. I can't believe they wasted time at PSX for Destiny DLC.

TheYanger

Established game that is a decade old. As of right now, we are at what? The 5 month mark? Game is already more successful than a handful of "WoW Killers"

Let's say you want to play on a different server that's - $25, and you want to boost a opposing faction character to 90, there is another $60, to boost a character. Oh wait, expansion incoming, that's another $60

So yeah... wow makes money, they can afford to pump out free content, the team us much larger and have been doing it forever.

Compare it to the same timeframe after WoW launched, that's what I was doing - it's a joke. And wow is glacial in its release schedule compared to some other games. The amount they're giving you for 15 dollars is laughable.

I get what you're saying but Activision sold us on the idea of a Franchise with a decade's worth of content and support. If this is their idea of a content and support then... wow.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, I'm a bit tired of franchises being sold before they're even a franchise. They've planned this entire game to be a franchise, yet the base game seems overlooked/neglected when it comes to building a solid foundation and fan base to prop that franchise on. No doubt there will be more Destiny, as that's the plan. It's already been decided, regardless of how the consumers feel about it. In some ways it's admirable, and the hypocritical part of this I wish other IPs had been as stubborn and gave us more (because they DID have a solid first game, but sadly not the fanbase).

I might get an "Ultimate Edition" of this, once they've finished adding DLC.

It's a fun game, but I won't be getting any more stuff on release. The high price and slow drip-feeding of extra content is pretty awful, especially combined with obsoleting or upgrading+re-grinding the old items with every minor release.

It's sad that the game structure seems unlikely to change. Tower NPC bounties and a few lines of dialogue, with "defend the X" or "kill all the X" mission design.

Hopefully, Destiny 2 will have a more populated world with an interesting story and actual NPC interactions that go beyond "press square to trade".

I want more destiny, but I don't want what bungie had offered so far.

Dark Below upgrade and new systems punished heavily hardcore player for NO reason and got fast lane ticket to any newbie/casual.

Will be the same for house of wovles.

So even if I come back for Comet, all the content of season pass one will be irrevelant (raid useless) because armor and weapons will be outdated. And I don't play destiny for the story mission lol, not gonna get fooled twice.

So in the end, if they want me back, they need to basically change everything in their upgrade systems and transitions of gears from extensions to extensions

Vashetti

Banned
Someone needs to do a "tell all" or something.

Seems like the project got overhauled mid-development and we got a vastly different game from what was promised.

Unbelievable how expensive the DLC is compared to the amount of content included. This game was made to sell expensive DLC.

BokehKing

Banned
Compare it to the same timeframe after WoW launched, that's what I was doing - it's a joke. And wow is glacial in its release schedule compared to some other games. The amount they're giving you for 15 dollars is laughable.
But me and a bunch of other people (bunch of other as in millions) are enjoying our $15 worth, the raid alone is worth $10.

Klyka

Banned
I'm gonna jump back in and try and get to 30 now,I took a break over christmas. Then I'll do the raid,still need to see that.

Destiny is a fun shooter, that's how I treat it.

Looking forward to House of Wolves, gonna decide spontaneusly if I'll get Comet.

BokehKing

Banned

So in the end, if they want me back, they need to basically change everything in their upgrade systems and transitions of gears from extensions to extensions
Yeah, people need to realize the game you're playing now is what you will be playing until Destiny 2 When you will see all the complaints (hopefully) fixed.

This comet release, maybe we will get story mode and weekly strike match making, but I doubt it.

XAL

So my Season Pass got me covered, or...?

nope.

Shieeeeeeet

Can anyone read what the new light levels are?

Might just stop playing the game until the later expansions and buy vendor gear when that comes out and leapfrog 3 raid gears.

Dark Below upgrade and new systems punished heavily hardcore player for NO reason and got fast lane ticket to any newbie/casual.

Will be the same for house of wovles.

So even if I come back for Comet, all the content of season pass one will be irrevelant (raid useless) because armor and weapons will be outdated. And I don't play destiny for the story mission lol, not gonna get fooled twice.

It sucks, but every other MMO works the same way. In fact we are lucky that our Exotics don't become obsolete, as we can respec them.

Mikey Jr.

It's been what? 5 months since release. Destiny is still usually in the top 10 games being played on twitch. Bungie is doing something right with the game.

Ushay

No new planets? No new parts of Earth explored?

Glad I sold my copy, this doesn't look as ambitious as promised unfortunately. Hopefully they take on board some of the criticism being thrown their way.

XAL

It sucks, but every other MMO works the same way. In fact we are lucky that our Exotics don't become obsolete, as we can respec them.

Bungie doesn't get to fall back on the MMO crutch, as they vehemently said the game was not to be considered an MMO.

Klyka

Banned

It's a shooter, who cares if someone got an item easier?
It's supposed to be "jump in, have some fun with friends, jump out".

People just go all MMO grind mad with their "OMG I NEED THREE CHARACTERS TO DO ALL CONTENT THREE TIMES" stuff.

It's been what? 5 months since release. Destiny is still usually in the top 10 games being played on twitch. Bungie is doing something right with the game.

The game routinely has 8k+ viewers on twitch, putting it in the Top 10 basically every day. When the new raid opened up the game had 30k+ viewers for basically two-three days.

It is definitely doing quite well.

Yeah feels like all of the other DLCs besides COMET should have been free content updates. COMET looks like something you'd pay money for, the others not so much.

Toski

Someone needs to do a "tell all" or something.

Seems like the project got overhauled mid-development and we got a vastly different game from what was promised.

Unbelievable how expensive the DLC is compared to the amount of content included. This game was made to sell expensive DLC.

After watching this video along with the other rumors, I agree with this. I really want to know why, especially if there was more story and actual trading. I think most if not all of Destiny's pitfalls are solely due to Bungie's decisions/incompetence.

XAL

Yeah feels like all of the other DLCs besides COMET should have been free content updates. COMET looks like something you'd pay money for, the others not so much.

At the very least, Dark Below and House of Wolves were supposed to be included in the original release. Looking at all of the footage and interviews a year prior to release they showed off a Reef hub world, the Queen's brother was supposed to be an NPC that did story missions with you, and there was to be more than 1 raid in the original game.

Not to mention a level that took place near Saturn and Mercury (which they had as locations as the flight/loading screens were already complete for those locations).

This video is a good primer:
http://youtu.be/cniftJbVyLw

Reef_screenshot.jpg

468px-DestinyPlanets.png

Possibly-mercury.jpg

Top Bottom