• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

Commodore

Man, I don't know if this has been echoed over and over again, because I haven't been keeping up with every Destiny thread, but having read through so many arguments about the game, after having played a good 50-60 hours or so, hearing the Giant Bomb guys go at it trying to figure out where it rested in their top ten list, its just the game is so divisively polarized in its design and gameplay. Where on one hand, they nailed the shooter part of the game, but on the other hand, shat the bed with the everything else that surrounds it.

Just the juxtaposition of a truly fantastic shooter, with bland uninspired game design is like lit kindling on a windy day for gamers to argue over. It just breeds something to argue over.

Despite that, Destiny ended up being the game I've played more with friends, than any other game over the past 5 years or so. I'd never play it by myself, which is my usual M.O., but Destiny brought a ton of gamers together, for good or ill. Its the god damned gamers kitchen table. Its nuts to think about if they had actually gotten everything else right, the story, the game design, the missions, the loot system...

Compsiox

Banned
I can't make myself play anymore.

If I wait until the comet comes out to play, will I regret it?

I'm level 29.6

hamchan

I can't make myself play anymore.

If I wait until the comet comes out to play, will I regret it?

I'm level 29.6

Looking at how they handled The Dark Below, you can probably stop playing the game, start again whenever you want, and be able to catch up immediately. The vendors will just sell you the high level gear to let you catch up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking at how they handled The Dark Below, you can probably stop playing the game, start again whenever you want, and be able to catch up immediately. The vendors will just sell you the high level gear to let you catch up.
Pretty much this. lol
It's a game that penalizes you for playing it too often.

E92 M3

I am super excited for this expansion; money isn't an issue. Destiny has provided me hundreds of hours of entertainment.

border

Pretty much this. lol

Forcing new players to do the same grind as older players is a losing proposition. Vanilla WoW tried it and it just didn't pan out. Nobody will want to grind old raids just to do expansion content.

Altima

The problem is Destiny has no real competitor.

Fine me a great FPS multiplayer with Raiding and PvP.

Yes, you are not going to find one except Destiny.

This is why they have their right to name the price.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Gran turismo is 26 mins guys, that's the time it takes to drive one round on every track.

Driving the same track over and over is not "content".
Not really a fair comparison. If a racing game had Destiny's 'rewards' system you'd come in first and get nothing while the guy in last place would get a place on the podium.

Geneijin

Forcing new players to do the same grind as older players is a losing proposition. Vanilla WoW tried it and it just didn't pan out. Nobody will want to grind old raids just to do expansion content.
But it wouldn't have been if they just made the new vendor gear Light 30 instead of 33. It was quite unexpected.

I'm sure if Destiny had a monthly pay wall, we would be seeing bigger dlcs.

How does it dothat exactly? Competition man... There aint one in this game.

Pretty sure the Vanguard marks and Crucible marks cap limits are a big "fuck you" classic example of penalties for too much play.

elohel

The expansion will be the first real test of Destiny's legs because a lot of suckers already bought the Season Pass. The hardcore audience will buy it but how much of Destiny's initial audience do they represent? From the looks of things Comet is a better value with more content at $40ish than the current DLC but is it enough for the mass audience that they are targeting. Maybe Bungie didn't have time to make course corrections with the first two DLC packs but their comments don't inspire confidence. Without a major overhaul for the game it'll be hard to draw people back in.

I bought it because they specifically told me what would be in it and all I really think about is playing the game with other people and how much fun we have

no one was tricked into buying this game or the expansion

Dunk#7

I still love Destiny, and I can't wait for these expansions. It is the only game I currently play, and it is what I think about while at work.

I like that the reward system is random because it keeps me playing, and it feels awesome when you finally get what you have been waiting for.

I'm at 31 right now, just waiting on the Radiant Shards to get to 32. Should be there in time for the hard mode of Crota's End.

You have to find a group of friends to play through missions together on a regular basis. That is what makes the game fun

IISANDERII

Gran turismo is 26 mins guys, that's the time it takes to drive one round on every track.

Driving the same track over and over is not "content".
GT6 had 33 tracks with 71 configurations and 1200 cars at launch. And since then they've added a bunch more for free. And it's also 60fps.

Dunk#7

I don't understand the gripes about pricing over the span of several years. Other online RPGs charge monthly subscription fees that easily add up to similar rates.

TheYanger

I don't understand the gripes about pricing over the span of several years. Other online RPGs charge monthly subscription fees that easily add up to similar rates.

Most of them give you a LOT more for your money.

Destiny will get a lot of playtime if you're addicted to it, but as everyone always says it only has the worst parts of MMOs.

Fbh

Kin of dissapointing to see that they have an expation that's big enough to be released on a disc yet still no new planet.
Hopefully they add new areas to each planet so it's not just "tons of new content, in the same locations and against the same enemies you have fighting for the past year"

Dunk#7

Most of them give you a LOT more for your money.

Destiny will get a lot of playtime if you're addicted to it, but as everyone always says it only has the worst parts of MMOs.

Some of those complaints have to be taken with a grain of salt because Destiny is unique in that it is an MMO type game that is also an FPS on consoles. It can't have the massive players in each instance due to the calculations that have to be done for each player using ADS.

It is still fun and impressive in my opinion considering the things holding them back. They also have to make this work with 256 MB of RAM on PS3

I'm still cheesed off in how the DLC gimps non DLC owners by removing rewards or locking out weekly strikes and nightfalls, DLC should have really been a side add-on and not replaced what little was already there.

They fixed strike rewards with engram bonuses a few weeks after launch only to take it away and stick it behind a DLC strike playlist only 6 weeks later.

Deku Tree

I'm still cheesed off in how the DLC gimps non DLC owners by removing rewards or locking out weekly strikes and nightfalls, DLC should have really been a side add-on and not replaced what little was already there.

They fixed strike rewards with engram bonuses a few weeks after launch only to take it away and stick it behind a DLC strike playlist only 6 weeks later.

If they did it your way they would have been cheesing TDB owners out of variety in the rotation of weekly activities. Someone was going to get cheesed and of course it was the people who didn't pay.

Besides you still get a lot of engram drops from the tiger playlist you just don't get the guaranteed two at the end of the strike.

BigDug13

Some of those complaints have to be taken with a grain of salt because Destiny is unique in that it is an MMO type game that is also an FPS on consoles. It can't have the massive players in each instance due to the calculations that have to be done for each player using ADS.

It is still fun and impressive in my opinion considering the things holding them back. They also have to make this work with 256 MB of RAM on PS3

I think that's part of the problem. The mechanics of how everything connects together was dumbed down to the point of being playable with 256MB RAM. They really need to be developing Destiny 2 for current gen only so they can Unshackle some of their mechanics.

The small number of enemies per wave, bullet sponges being the only way to throw more challenge at the player, tethering of enemies that can't be exceeded like they are all attached to dog leashes.

I bought it because they specifically told me what would be in it and all I really think about is playing the game with other people and how much fun we have

no one was tricked into buying this game or the expansion

Maybe they were tricked by calling that meagre offering an "expansion".

Deku Tree

I think that's part of the problem. The mechanics of how everything connects together was dumbed down to the point of being playable with 256MB RAM. They really need to be developing Destiny 2 for current gen only so they can Unshackle some of their mechanics.

The small number of enemies per wave, bullet sponges being the only way to throw more challenge at the player, tethering of enemies that can't be exceeded like they are all attached to dog leashes.

Destiny plays like garbage on PS3 though.

I used to love destiny wholeheartedly. But I've got that mmo burn. Too much of the same. The gunplay is fantastic but the lack of story and the lack of different places blew me. I'll probably come back after comet.

Ambitious

If they did it your way they would have been cheesing TDB owners out of variety in the rotation of weekly activities. Someone was going to get cheesed and of course it was the people who didn't pay.

Besides you still get a lot of engram drops from the tiger playlist you just don't get the guaranteed two at the end of the strike.

Why do the weekly activities have to be the same for both DLC buyers and non-buyers?

Dunk#7

Why do the weekly activities have to be the same for both DLC buyers and non-buyers?

If it wasn't it would make it kind of odd when trying to team up for activities/events. Having to question who does and doesn't have the DLC muddies the water when trying to make it a shared/social game

New subclasses and weapon types sounds good. I wonder how those will change up the PvP? Right now, as a Titan player I feel the hunters have biggest advantage.

Blueblur1

12 story missions, 1 raid, 6 new mp maps, 4 strikes?

What I'm hoping?

They incorporate raid mechanics into the strikes on the comment expansion

Raid mechanics would be great. Especially on the bosses. I don't ever want to fight a pure bullet sponge boss ever again.

Dunk#7

What makes it different from CS or BF or COD in that sense?

Because those are on smaller, confined maps with less going on. There are a lot of things going on at the same time in destiny. The other games you mentioned are allowed to operate in a sandbox because they are not as open

Because those are on smaller, confined maps with less going on. There are a lot of things going on at the same time in destiny. The other games you mentioned are allowed to operate in a sandbox because they are not as open

That didn't answer my question in any way.
What makes ADSing in Destiny more calculation heavy compared to other shooters?

Pretty much this. lol

Not to turn this into anothet Destiny bitching thread but fuck this. So much.

All those hours playing raid. Running Vault of Glass dozens of times. Getting full raid gear and being so proud. The Dark Below hits, walk up to a vendor, and on Day 1 buy shit better than the the 60+ hours you worked for.

One of the single worst design choices I have ever seen in my life. The game truly does punish its most loyal and time consumed players.

Dunk#7

That didn't answer my question in any way.
What makes ADSing in Destiny more calculation heavy compared to other shooters?

Yes, it did answer your question because you have to consider the totality of what is going on within each game. The ADS is an added difficulty when considered with everything else that is not happening in the games you mentioned.

Most MMO type games can allow some lag and unprecise mechanics because they are not a twitch FPS at the same time. That is the point I was making

Deku Tree

Not to turn this into anothet Destiny bitching thread but fuck this. So much.

All those hours playing raid. Running Vault of Glass dozens of times. Getting full raid gear and being so proud. The Dark Below hits, walk up to a vendor, and on Day 1 buy shit better than the the 60+ hours you worked for.

One of the single worst design choices I have ever seen in my life. The game truly does punish its most loyal and time consumed players.

The thing is that it is a business decision. Their assumption is that people like you will keep playing.

On the other hand people who stopped playing destiny as a level 26 or lower a month ago will never pick up and play TDB if the barrier to entry of the new RAID is so high that they have to (1) grind the old raid that they didn't want to grind before anyway and then (2) grind some more in order to be ready for the new CE raid.

The decision was made in order to try to maximize the number of people who keep buying the DLCs. And in the end the more people who buy them the better off the userbase will be... So at the end of the day it's good for people like you too.

Gattsu25

Banned

Care to elaborate on the bold?

The thing is that it is a business decision. Their assumption is that people like you will keep playing.

On the other hand people who stopped playing destiny as a level 26 or lower a month ago will never pick up and play TDB if the barrier to entry of the new RAID is so high that they have to (1) grind the old raid that they didn't want to grind before anyway and then (2) grind some more in order to be ready for the new CE raid.

The decision was made in order to try to maximize the number of people who keep buying the DLCs. And in the end the more people who buy them the better off the userbase will be... So at the end of the day it's good for people like you too.

Im sorry but thats bullshit.

Making better gear than Raid makes perfect sense. Making it accessible to more casual player's makes perfect sense as well. But it should be tied into the new content. You should have to actually you know, play the game to aquire it.

On day 1 in The Dark Below any random could just walk up to a vendor, buy armor, and is now better than every single high level, raid experienced player. That is some bat shit levels of crazy game design. What is even the point then of running raid? I quit the game after that and will likely not play it again until Comet releases. I can likely walk up on Day 1 and be as powerful as everyone else whose been grinding weapons and armor and Raid for hours and hours. How is that fair to anyone investing time into the game? Pure craziness.

Man, I don't know if this has been echoed over and over again, because I haven't been keeping up with every Destiny thread, but having read through so many arguments about the game, after having played a good 50-60 hours or so, hearing the Giant Bomb guys go at it trying to figure out where it rested in their top ten list, its just the game is so divisively polarized in its design and gameplay. Where on one hand, they nailed the shooter part of the game, but on the other hand, shat the bed with the everything else that surrounds it.

Just the juxtaposition of a truly fantastic shooter, with bland uninspired game design is like lit kindling on a windy day for gamers to argue over. It just breeds something to argue over.

Despite that, Destiny ended up being the game I've played more with friends, than any other game over the past 5 years or so. I'd never play it by myself, which is my usual M.O., but Destiny brought a ton of gamers together, for good or ill. Its the god damned gamers kitchen table. Its nuts to think about if they had actually gotten everything else right, the story, the game design, the missions, the loot system...

This is the crazy part, the few things that are done so right (that still make the game addicting) would be unbelievable if they got the other stuff right also.

It goes to show that if you can just get fun shooting mechanics and combat down, you can make people grind hours on top of hours for anything, even if its not worth it.

Ade

There are at most 12(?) people in a small zone in Destiny. I'm not really getting your point.

Dunk#7

There are at most 12(?) people in a small zone in Destiny. I'm not really getting your point.

Each planet is loaded in full in each instance. The game has to care for all the areas on a planet along with all the FPS type calculations at the same time.

Deku Tree

Im sorry but thats bullshit.

Making better gear than Raid makes perfect sense. Making it accessible to more casual player's makes perfect sense as well. But it should be tied into the new content. You should have to actually you know, play the game to aquire it.

On day 1 in The Dark Below any random could just walk up to a vendor, buy armor, and is now better than every single high level, raid experienced player. That is some bat shit levels of crazy game design. What is even the point then of running raid? I quit the game after that and will likely not play it again until Comet releases. I can likely walk up on Day 1 and be as powerful as everyone else whose been grinding weapons and armor and Raid for hours and hours. How is that fair to anyone investing time into the game? Pure craziness.

Well you needed two commendations so it wasn't really available to any random new player on Day 1. Even WoW gives players who bought the new expansion one free level 90 character.

Ade

Each planet is loaded in full in each instance. The game has to care for all the areas on a planet along with all the FPS type calculations at the same time.

No its not. Each planet is hundreds of small, seperate, instance chunks.Each holding no more than 12 players.

Well you needed two commendations so it wasn't really available to any random new player on Day 1. Even WoW gives players who bought the new expansion one free level 90 character.

If you already had your vendor leveled you could walk up to your Vanguard and buy armor better than Raid. I did it myself the moment I downloaded the expansion.

Dunk#7

No its not. Each planet is hundreds of small, seperate, instance chunks.Each holding no more than 12 players.

Maybe I haven't payed enough attention, but when you move between areas it seems that the same players are still in the previous area if you turn around.

That makes everybody on the planet part of the same instance does it not?

I still love Destiny, and I can't wait for these expansions. It is the only game I currently play, and it is what I think about while at work.

I like that the reward system is random because it keeps me playing, and it feels awesome when you finally get what you have been waiting for.

I'm at 31 right now, just waiting on the Radiant Shards to get to 32. Should be there in time for the hard mode of Crota's End.

You have to find a group of friends to play through missions together on a regular basis. That is what makes the game fun

This. I think this is the most entertaining game I've played since the original Modern Warfare's multiplayer. Getting together for a raid just feels amazing and I cant stop levellin gup every armor/exotic I have. Awesome game, no monthly fee and it will keep getting better.

Ade

Maybe I haven't payed enough attention, but when you move between areas it seems that the same players are still in the previous area if you turn around.

That makes everybody on the planet part of the same instance does it not?

It'll try to keep a degree of instance concurrency. If you came from Earth-Divide-A it'll try and put you back there, but if that's now full you'll go to Earth-Divide-B

Its all smoke and mirrors. Hence why you have to be in a fireteam to reliably stay with people on a planet.

You'll also never get more than 12(?) people in a phase/instanced area. The game really isn't doing massive planet sized calculations at all.

Top Bottom