• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not everybody needs 300 hours to get frustrated with destiny. I have one character and less than a hundred hours of playtime and I agree with most criticisms people have. I had the same criticisms about 50 hours ago but I kept playing because I don't know why. Once I beat the crota raid I will probably be done until the next dlc that I already stupidly purchased.

Nobody is expecting an endless stream of free content. People may think dark below should have been free because the amount of content in it was so pathetic, but that's different.

Also, to anyone who says "but everyone else is charging at least $10 for a few MP maps", so what?

I don't like that shit either. Besides, a halo map has way more value than a destiny map. Right now I can do what, slayer or team slayer on the dark below maps? With a halo map I can play whatever's in the playlists or I can do whatever the fuck I want in customs.
It's sad that because loot and bounties are tied to MP, you can't even have private matches with friends. They didn't even think of including a "no reward custom match" mode for their MP. And let's not even talk about the precipitous drop-off of Iron Banner and how they screwed that up.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm in a strange position where I somewhat enjoy the base mechanics of the game but hate that the game disrespects my time and insults my intelligence. The vast majority of my enjoyment of the game comes from playing with others, and that can be said of any game experience really.

It's a flawed game, for sure, and Bungie is making mistakes managing it.

And while everything is better with friends I'd argue that the fun base mechanics + the pve and pvp activities keeps things varied as you hop from one to another. There's a bit of a Mario Party with guns thing going on in Destiny.

GlamFM

Banned
Gran turismo is 26 mins guys, that's the time it takes to drive one round on every track.

Driving the same track over and over is not "content".

Gran turismo is 26 mins guys, that's the time it takes to drive one round on every track.

Let's defend the game with false equivalences. I'll continue-

CS:GO is 1 minute, guys. Just aim and shoot.

Aiming and shooting people over and over again is not 'content'.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a flawed game, for sure, and Bungie is making mistakes managing it.

And while everything is better with friends I'd argue that the fun base mechanics + the pve and pvp activities keeps things varied as you hop from one to another. There's a bit of a Mario Party with guns thing going on in Destiny.
I think one of my favourite moments in Destiny is when the game glitched out during our Flawless Raider run and someone on our team "died"... but even then, we finished the raid anyway and still got the trophy. But I think that was pure joy from overcoming Bungie's glitches more than actually beating the raid.

I'll readily admit that there isn't a game that has quite replicated that experience in any way recently that is readily accessible to someone who doesn't want to sign up for an MMO and join a guild and do all that crap.

But man oh man, the game just has so many quality of life problems that makes it hard to like it. Making me play the same two DLC missions over and over - whether as Dailies or as Eris bounties - feels like the game is just mocking me. The fact that the two missions boil down to "get locked in a small room while witches fly around try to kill you" doesn't help either. I'd rather fight hundreds of Phalanxes with the Angry modifier on.

Well, if you want to put it that way, GT6 probably has more free content updates than Destiny ever will. :p

Not everybody needs 300 hours to get frustrated with destiny. I have one character and less than a hundred hours of playtime and I agree with most criticisms people have. I had the same criticisms about 50 hours ago but I kept playing because I don't know why. Once I beat the crota raid I will probably be done until the next dlc that I already stupidly purchased.

Nobody is expecting an endless stream of free content. People may think dark below should have been free because the amount of content in it was so pathetic, but that's different.

Also, to anyone who says "but everyone else is charging at least $10 for a few MP maps", so what?

I don't like that shit either. Besides, a halo map has way more value than a destiny map. Right now I can do what, slayer or team slayer on the dark below maps? With a halo map I can play whatever's in the playlists or I can do whatever the fuck I want in customs.

And there is a simple solution for everyone that has problems with the content, price of DLC, or the exotic reset - stop playing the game and don't buy any more DLC.

And there is a simple solution for everyone that has problems with the content, price of DLC, or the exotic reset - stop playing the game and don't buy any more DLC.

I wish this was the solution to all games problems.

"You don't like this overtly violent game? Stop playing the game."
"You think this game is horribly sexist? Stop playing the game."
"You think this game nickel and dimes you? Stop playing the game."

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

It is, however, the solution to your Destiny problem.

tbm24

In those cases the answer is Stop buying them.

It is, however, the solution to your Destiny problem.

You have a problem to my problem? Just stop replying to it.

Seriously though, it'll be a cold day in hell when I can't talk about a game I want to be good so i can go play it.

In those cases the answer is Stop buying them.
I was using the power of sarcasm and hyperbole to illustrate the issue with that line of thinking and how it stifles conversation.

Once again, using the power of sarcasm I illustrated the issue that telling someone 'Stop playing it' stifles conversation. I only talk about Destiny because I want it to be good. It has potential to be that game that replaces a bunch of other games but...it's not there yet! So I discuss it as a cathartic solution ~

Edit-I guess I also used the power of irony when you take both of those replies in one post as inflecting a singular conversation point.

Asbear

Banned
From the looks of it they plan to release the new DLC on Sep 15th as a retail expansion... and they dare call these two packages Dark Below and possibly House of Wolves expansions too? They're not even good DLCs.

SMH, I'm done with Destiny. Activision is not getting any more money from me. Period.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Once again, using the power of sarcasm I illustrated the issue that telling someone 'Stop playing it' stifles conversation. I only talk about Destiny because I want it to be good. It has potential to be that game that replaces a bunch of other games but...it's not there yet! So I discuss it as a cathartic solution ~

Yeah, I misread your second sentence.

Edited my post.

pj

Banned

How does that help me? I want the game to be better, not to sell it and flashy-thing the memories out of my brain.

Most haters are pushing for more (and better) content and more reasonable DLC prices. If you don't want those things then I don't know what to say.

JayEH

tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

You have a problem to my problem? Just stop replying to it.

Seriously though, it'll be a cold day in hell when I can't talk about a game I want to be good so i can go play it.

I was using the power of sarcasm and hyperbole to illustrate the issue with that line of thinking and how it stifles conversation.
If you think talking about it on GAF does more good than voting with your wallet, then have at it.

I thinking buying a game, continuing to buy content for it and constantly whining about said game is fucking annoying.

I'm not saying that you are doing that but there are plenty of people around that do.

They are not adding to any discussion because they try so hard to dominate any conversation that ever starts with their self-entitled nonsense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you think talking about it on GAF does more good than voting with your wallet, then have at it.

I thinking buying a game, continuing to buy content for it and constantly whining about said game is fucking annoying.

I'm not saying that you are doing that but there are plenty of people around that do.

They are not adding to any discussion because they try so hard to dominate any conversation that ever starts with their self-entitled nonsense.

That said, Deej has an account here and pretty much admitted that a lot of the staff reads GAF - Luke Smith included. I'd like to hope that they aren't just reading the "Destiny is great!" posts and patting themselves on the back anyway.

Well it's too late for that since I brought the Ghost Edition.

It's not like I'm constantly rebuying Destiny as we speak. How can I vote for my wallet when I already did last year before I knew the game would end up like this?

So yeah, talking about it on GAF is more good, yo.

That said, Deej has an account here and pretty much admitted that a lot of the staff reads GAF - Luke Smith included. I'd like to hope that they aren't just reading the "Destiny is great!" posts and patting themselves on the back anyway.

This too.

Edit:Edit:DeeJ if you read this add in an endless arena like mode. That'd be alotta fun.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How does that help me? I want the game to be better, not to sell it and flashy-thing the memories out of my brain.

Most haters are pushing for more (and better) content and more reasonable DLC prices. If you don't want those things then I don't know what to say.

Right because when making financial decisions Activision looks at forum posts instead of sales data and other metrics like engagement.

pantsmith

It sounds like Comet is Reaper of Souls-esque in size and content, hopefully it carries with it the same positive changes in design philosophy.

Also the "free raids in mmos" equivalency Ive seen pop up doesnt make sense, since the game has no monthly fees or micro transactions. Forty dollars for an expansion is okay if its an actual expansion, and Id definitely pay it if it came on a disc which included the base game and the previous add on things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right because when making financial decisions Activision looks at forum posts instead of sales data and other metrics like engagement.
They fixed one of the problems with the loot rolls because the community was exploiting the loot cave.
Just look at GAF and see how many people look for Crota checkpoints. No one wants to do Deathsinger because there's no point in fighting that part of the raid. I would hope that they see that, whether by reading GAF/reddit or through actual player data.

BokehKing

Banned
12 story missions, 1 raid, 6 new mp maps, 4 strikes?

What I'm hoping?

They incorporate raid mechanics into the strikes on the comment expansion

Well it's too late for that since I brought the Ghost Edition.

It's not like I'm constantly rebuying Destiny as we speak. How can I vote for my wallet when I already did last year before I knew the game would end up like this?

So yeah, talking about it on GAF is more good, yo.

This too.

Edit:Edit:DeeJ if you read this add in an endless arena like mode. That'd be alotta fun.
Like I said, I'm not saying you are a member of the whine and cheese brigade.

And I'm sure the Bungie people who do read GAF are more likely to incorporate constructive criticism into their future plans over ranting.

As for voting with your wallet - you will have another chance in September.

Like I said, I'm not saying you are a member of the whine and cheese brigade.

And I'm sure the Bungie people who do read GAF are more likely to incorporate constructive criticism into their future plans over ranting.

As for voting with your wallet - you will have another chance in September.

But don't you see Rusev

It is too late

I am already Comet

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They fixed one of the problems with the loot rolls because the community was exploiting the loot cave.

Right, but that isn't a forum post. That's them responding to things that happen in the game.

And my point stands: engagement metrics and sales will do a lot more than any forum posting, so if you want things to change, do not play the game and when new stuff comes up for preorder, don't.

Comet

I just hopped on to Destiny and am only level 7. I can already tell I will be a "hater" of the game but will trudge on and will try to get to level 20 and play wth friends online before I really judge the game. I've already seen the new DLC in action and it pains me to see all my work buddies go out in droves and download it only to complain about the dollar per content ratio - yeeesh!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right, but that isn't a forum post. That's them responding to things that happen in the game.

And my point stands: engagement metrics and sales will do a lot more than any forum posting, so if you want things to change, do not play the game and when new stuff comes up for preorder, don't.
The thing is, since they have my money, they could care less about what I do with the game.

The real sign is whether people buy into this 40-60 dollar expansion thing in September. I really hope no one does, especially if they don't change the game in some way. God knows that House of Wolves will probably make you kill 50 dregs as a daily bounty over and over again because someone at Bungie think that's "fun".

BokehKing

Banned
The thing is, since they have my money, they could care less about what I do with the game.

The real sign is whether people buy into this 40-60 dollar expansion thing in September. I really hope no one does, especially if they don't change the game in some way. God knows that House of Wolves will probably make you kill 50 dregs as a daily bounty over and over again because someone at Bungie think that's "fun".
It's too late, I'm buying it, even though I'll be buying it, what else comes out in September? That was prime month for them in 20-14

It sounds like Comet is Reaper of Souls-esque in size and content, hopefully it carries with it the same positive changes in design philosophy.

Also the "free raids in mmos" equivalency Ive seen pop up doesnt make sense, since the game has no monthly fees or micro transactions. Forty dollars for an expansion is okay if its an actual expansion, and Id definitely pay it if it came on a disc which included the base game and the previous add on things.

It's not anywhere near RoS, sorry.

Don't you need PS+/Gold to use 3/4 of the expansions? That is a monthly fee if there ever was one.

Also I wouldn't count the possibility of microtransactions out.

Then what is the point of this forum? Why can't we discuss the game, it's faults and things it gets right without people on both sides getting super defensive?

pj

Banned

Well I will be doing my small part by not buying the actual expansion unless it's priced sanely.

Meanwhile I will continue bitching on the internet

The End

Have to assume Comet will be $40 for the upgrade and $60 for the "GOTY" version.

Also, from TDB

the part in the Urn bounty chain where you have to melee 5 cursed thralls is a pain in the Aaaaaaasssssss

Trace

Banned
It's not anywhere near RoS, sorry.

Don't you need PS+/Gold to use 3/4 of the expansions? That is a monthly fee if there ever was one.

Also I wouldn't count the possibility of microtransactions out.

Any multiplayer game on PS4 requires PS+. Calling that a monthly fee is like saying LoL charges a monthly fee in the form of your internet connection.

CLBridges

I'm still enjoying my time with Destiny and will partake in the next DLC "House of Wolves." But, the next wave of content (Comet, Expansion 3/4) better be value priced and offer a lot of stuff to do and explore. There are honestly too many good games on the schedule for 2015 for Bungie to try to pull a fast one in September and beyond.

void666

Banned
Destiny was my best gaming aquisition in 2014. Over 600 hours of playtime.
Having fun all the way and also made a lot of friends.

I'll be there day one for the upcoming DLC.

newjeruse

Destiny was my best gaming aquisition in 2014. Over 600 hours of playtime.
Having fun all the way and also made a lot of friends.

I'll be there day one for the upcoming DLC.
Damn. You've spent 1 out of every 5 hours playing Destiny since it has come out? Props to you.

Trickster

12 story missions, 1 raid, 6 new mp maps, 4 strikes?

What I'm hoping?

They incorporate raid mechanics into the strikes on the comment expansion

For me, if they did that, plus made both raids and strikes bigger than their equivelants are currently. Added better social features and made the story missions live up to expectations, I'd probably be willing to try out the expansion.

There'd still be a lot of things still in need of fixing, but that would be adressing some of the biggest issues it currently has from my point of view.

lt519

Hmm interesting, it's hard grinding out gear to get to level 32 knowing the next expansion will just gift you that level with casual play. Knowing a lot is going to be totally overhauled with a comet expansion is even more daunting. Making things irrelevant every three months is no good.

But I'll continue to play for the raids.

Top Bottom