• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny DLC Plans leak. Major addon "Comet: Plague of Darkness" coming sep. 15

I'm kinda dissapointed the new subclass won't make it into the base game. With each class missing a specific elemental sub-class, it seems more like omitted content from the base game, rather than additional content.

ZehDon

...So if you think about take away $10 and the 3 maps we would be used to, we're paying $7.50 for 1 raid, 4 missions, 2 strikes, and new armor/weapons.

How does that not seem fair?...
That's some impressive mental gymnastics, my friend.

The "new" content is heavily reliant on pre-existing content from the base game. No new enemy types mixed with largely recycled environments means that the DLC packs aren't really adding anything of substance. Hence the disbelief at their pricing. The "Comet" expansion pack appears to be what the DLC packs were supposed to be: actual expansion packs that add actual new content into the game. If Destiny weren't as content starved as it is, I suspect these DLC packs might go over a tad more smoothly. Charging an additional US$140.00 on top of the US$60.00 for the base game to provide enough content to justify only the original asking price is burning their fans. Why would I buy Destiny 2, when their own planning schedule says that I should wait for the "Comet 2" edition and save a metric fuck-ton of cash, while missing nothing because the progression of the end-game is reset with every DLC release?

On a bigger scale Bungie and Activision are basically telling the industry "hey we get away with milking 200$ out of a 60$ maybe less game, they will always buy it as long as you market it as the next big thing, you should follow too!"

On a bigger scale Bungie and Activision are basically telling the industry "hey we get away with milking 200$ out of a 60$ maybe less game, they will always buy it as long as you market it as the next big thing, you should follow too!"

The market will vote with their wallets. I don't see anything alarming with what Activision and Bungie are doing.

cakely

no 10 bucks at most for the dark below.

you can burn through all of the content in less than 10 hours.

The weapons, you can't even earn or buy - they're RNG drops on top of the existing loot table.

There are actually a couple of legendary weapons you can get only by running quests for Eris. Murmur, and Eidolon Ally. There's also a decent legendary arm piece with 33 light.

None of those are in existing loot tables.

When could you ever expect exotics from Vanguard Tiger? I never saw that playlist as anything more than an blue engram farm.

I got the plan c and the MIDA Multitool from tiger playlist and I didn't have to do that many. Whenever I was bored I would do a couple

Edit** I got another plan C from Tiger ROC yesterday. The point I was trying to make is that the strikes that could potentially drop good loot are no longer available for non DLC owners

I'm kinda dissapointed the new subclass won't make it into the base game. With each class missing a specific elemental sub-class, it seems more like omitted content from the base game, rather than additional content.

I'm fairly certain that the new subclasses will be added to the base game. They just aren't coming until plague releases.

XAL

There are actually a couple of legendary weapons you can get only by running quests for Eris. Murmur, and Eidolon Ally. There's also a decent legendary arm piece with 33 light.

A long, time consuming quest line that you get nothing-special-vendor-level gear for?

Yeah not worth the time and effort.

Murmur is an ok weapon.

Eidolon Ally is an upgrade from an RNG drop Husk of the Pit from a public event.

And that gets upgraded through an RNG drop from Crota on Hard, which isn't out yet. And that's on top of the existing loot table + all the primaries.

So. Um.

Ghazi

I got the plan c and the MIDA Multitool from tiger playlist and I didn't have to do that many. Whenever I was bored I would do a couple

Edit** I got another plan C from Tiger ROC yesterday. The point I was trying to make is that the strikes that could potentially drop good loot are no longer available for non DLC owners

I ran ROC for 10 hours straight and the best I got was a legendary helmet engram. You got lucky.

I'm fairly certain that the new subclasses will be added to the base game. They just aren't coming until plague releases.

This is the best thing they've done, is keeping gear available for those with just the vanilla game. If they keep the same with subclasses...then it'll be good on them.

I ran ROC for 10 hours straight and the best I got was a legendary helmet engram. You got lucky.

I hear of a lot of my friends getting exotics from ROC playlist. Two strikes after I got the plan C a match made player from my fire team got a hawkmoon

border

They lost maybe a 1 in 200 chance of an exotic or legendary drop though. You can't expect Exotics from Vanguard playlists any more than you can expect them to drop from a random Thrall on the moon.

XAL

They lost maybe a 1 in 200 chance of an exotic or legendary drop though. You can't expect Exotics from Vanguard playlists and more than you can expect them to drop from a random Thrall on the moon.

Uhm. You can.

Because they are in the loot table for Strikes.

That's some impressive mental gymnastics, my friend.

The "new" content is heavily reliant on pre-existing content from the base game. No new enemy types mixed with largely recycled environments means that the DLC packs aren't really adding anything of substance. Hence the disbelief at their pricing. The "Comet" expansion pack appears to be what the DLC packs were supposed to be: actual expansion packs that add actual new content into the game. If Destiny weren't as content starved as it is, I suspect these DLC packs might go over a tad more smoothly. Charging an additional US$140.00 on top of the US$60.00 for the base game to provide enough content to justify only the original asking price is burning their fans. Why would I buy Destiny 2, when their own planning schedule says that I should wait for the "Comet 2" edition and save a metric fuck-ton of cash, while missing nothing because the progression of the end-game is reset with every DLC release?

So missions and mechanics aren't substance unless they have entirely new assets? A ton of games simply recolor early assets for use later. This isn't new.

We also don't actually know if every DLC will be "resetting" progression. House of Wolves could extend the cap or could be the same level range as Crota's End. We don't know yet.

Destiny is far from the first game profit from DLC and there are far more egregious offenders. Let's not act like The Dark Below is Horse Armor.

They lost maybe a 1 in 200 chance of an exotic or legendary drop though. You can't expect Exotics from Vanguard playlists any more than you can expect them to drop from a random Thrall on the moon.

As someone who would do tiger playlists regularly and now does the ROC playlist on a regular basis I would have to disagree with you

cakely

The weapons, you can't even earn or buy - they're RNG drops on top of the existing loot table.

A long, time consuming quest line that you get nothing-special-vendor-level gear for?

Yeah not worth the time and effort.

Murmur is an ok weapon.

Eidolon Ally is an upgrade from an RNG drop Husk of the Pit from a public event.

And that gets upgraded through an RNG drop from Crota on Hard, which isn't out yet. And that's on top of the existing loot table + all the primaries.

So. Um.

I just gave you an example of weapons and armor that you can earn from the new expansion that aren't from the RNG table. IMO, both Murmur and the arm piece are useful loot.

border

Uhm. You can.

Because they are in the loot table for Strikes.

Point being is that there's a tiny-ass chance for them to drop, just as there's also a tiny chance for them to drop from a Thrall or a Crucible match. I don't think anyone in their right mind would farm a Strike playlist for Exotics though. You can't expect that stuff.

Ominym

Banned
Destiny is far from the first game profit from DLC and there are far more egregious offenders. Let's not act like The Dark Below is Horse Armor.

Horse armor came out in 2006, The Dark Below came out in 2014. I'd argue a lesson wasn't learned.

What's worse? Being the first to make a mistake? Or having seen the mistake made and making it anyway but with a bit more style?

Horse armor came out in 2006, The Dark Below came out in 2014. I'd argue a lesson wasn't learned.

What's worse? Being the first to make a mistake? Or having seen the mistake made and making it anyway but with a bit more style?

Horse Armor was a skin with little purpose. The Dark Below added playable content and brought a new tier of armor into the game for everyone, including those that didn't buy it. They are not comparable.

Point being is that there's a tiny-ass chance for them to drop, just as there's also a tiny chance for them to drop from a Thrall or a Crucible match. I don't think anyone in their right mind would farm a Strike playlist for Exotics though. You can't expect that stuff.

I would definitely not farm them for exotic drops but if I've done all my weeklies and raid and my bounties for the day and I still want to play I will do a couple of strikes from the playlist knowing that those drops are in the table. And like I said earlier I've been lucky enough to be rewarded with a couple of exotic weapons.

XAL

I just gave you an example of weapons and armor that you can earn from the new expansion that aren't from the RNG table. IMO, both Murmur and the arm piece are useful loot.

You gave me an example of 1 gauntlet that was not worth the time because it's nothing special and you can just buy vendor gear more easily.

And you gave me an example of 1 fusion rifle that is an ok weapon.

2 items that aren't particularly must use, especially in the case of the arm piece.

By the time people finished the gauntlets quest line, most people who were avidly playing the game already had new gauntlets and spent time and materials leveling them - thereby making the quest gauntlets completely worthless.

1 pair of worthless gauntlets, and 1 decent fusion rifle aren't worth anything in terms of money.

Ominym

Banned
Horse Armor was a skin with little purpose. The Dark Below added playable content and brought a new tier of armor into the game for everyone, including those that didn't buy it. They are not comparable.

I could pay $2.50 to have my horse armored throughout countless hours of content I haven't seen before, or I could pay $20 to play through 30 minutes of content most of which I have seen before.

Never thought I'd say this, but horse armor sounds like a great deal comparatively.

Ghazi

From last page. If you can only transfer your Guardian over..than like other people said, who the fuck is going to trade over all those strikes/raids/missions/pvp maps for a basic amount of content again?

Sounds far too ambitious to actually accomplish, especially considering how shallow a lot of the things in Destiny are. Let's reign in the hype, they promised a lot before the launch and didn't deliver. I don't expect this and if it happens it'll be something very trivial.

Grimsen

If the arm piece had 36 light, it would be worth it. At 33, it's absolutely not worth the effort. Its too bad, since the questline is okay.

Sounds far too ambitious to actually accomplish, especially considering how shallow a lot of the things in Destiny are. Let's reign in the hype, they promised a lot before the launch and didn't deliver. I don't expect this and if it happens it'll be something very trivial.

Time is probably the biggest issue. They seem to be on a tight schedule. Don't know how much of the core systems in the game they can change.

cakely

You gave me an example of 1 gauntlet that was not worth the time because it's nothing special and you can just buy vendor gear more easily.

And you gave me an example of 1 fusion rifle that is an ok weapon.

2 items that aren't particularly must use, especially in the case of the arm piece.

By the time people finished the gauntlets quest line, most people who were avidly playing the game already had new gauntlets and spent time and materials leveling them - thereby making the quest gauntlets completely worthless.

1 pair of worthless gauntlets, and 1 decent fusion rifle aren't worth anything in terms of money.

Whether you find those items useful or not, they are examples of items that you can't get from the RNG if you don't buy the expansion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I hear of a lot of my friends getting exotics from ROC playlist. Two strikes after I got the plan C a match made player from my fire team got a hawkmoon
They lost maybe a 1 in 200 chance of an exotic or legendary drop though. You can't expect Exotics from Vanguard playlists and more than you can expect them to drop from a random Thrall on the moon.
Are you guys talking about engrams or Exotics that actually just roll for you as a reward after the strike? Because the random loot rolls that occur at the end of playlist strikes are the same for Roc and Tiger, and the lower level playlists for that matter (maybe not all of them, I have no idea). DLC non-owners didn't lose that. It's an absolutely tiny chance, each time, but available on both playlists. I haven't ever received one personally.

It's the guaranteed blue engram(s) that you don't get with Tiger, and that's the only difference (in fact, you do get the same marks and rep for Tiger and Roc, which kind of sucks in its own right for DLC owners, but whatever). The primary rewards and reward loot rolls are the same, but no guaranteed engrams which makes it tougher to get class-specific upgrade materials, or level up alts, if you don't own the DLC. And that totally blows, but that's the difference. nothing with regard to getting exotics outright as a random reward. I hope you don't keep just spreading this to people, because there are people who don't own the DLC but still play and they shouldn't be misinformed about that.

I could pay $2.50 to have my horse armored throughout countless hours of content I haven't seen before, or I could pay $20 to play through 30 minutes of content most of which I have seen before.

Never thought I'd say this, but horse armor sounds like a great deal comparatively.

There was much more than 30 minutes of new content in The Dark Below, including an entirely new Raid. And I really disagree with the idea of labeling content "old" simply because you've seen the geography before.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
probably mentioned but could "hive ship" be the reef-like area we've seen in several pre-launch trailers?

XAL

Whether you find those items useful or not, they are examples of items that you can't get from the RNG if you don't buy the expansion.

I was speaking about weapons initially. But ok?

The most meaningful weapons, the exotics - are RNG.

And even then, ALL OF THEM are shit. They're not worth using over existing exotics or even many purples. They're considered objectively bad by everyone.

So it's like, here's a ok fusion rifle and a bunch of trash that you might get through chance.

So if anyone is pretending like that content is has any serious monetary value in that as part of the cost of DLC, they're out of their fucking mind.

Top Bottom