• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiskaltnz

I was really excited about this... Let's hope we hear some good news next week, it looks so fun to play and we need more FPS games that do something different (not just being COD clones).

Riposte

Wasn't linear enough to chase them COD dollars.

Fuck this industry.

What is much more likely is that they couldn't make a game that wasn't linear or one that could keep the promises they made.

But keep fighting that dudebro boogeyman bro.

JJD

From the copyright line in their own site.

Bethesda own it now.(not sure when Human Head sold it to Bethesda..maybe it was with the publishing deal)

Hoping for another publisher to get it like True Crime/Sleeping Dogs

Thanks!

It would be pretty easy to reformat the game into a new franchise from what we've seem. It hardly had anything to do with Prey 1 besides some story points that could be retconned into something else...

Brick

turiaf-cant-believe-it-o.gif

UberTag

Clearly today's gamers weren't ready for the kind of experience Prey 2 would have offered them.
Better to shovel out another cookie cutter COD clone instead.
Spawn kill die spawn kill kill die level up perk spawn kill kill kill die.

The market is pretty saturated. As sad as it is, from a business perspective I don't see much reason for doing another FPS which doesn't look particularly special to the average customer.

Deus Ex did pretty good numbers if I'm not mistaken. So did Mass Effect 2 back in the day (sci-fi space opera without multiplayer). This looked like a completely different game from Halo, CoD or <Insert FPS with 4-hour campaign and multiplayer component focus>. I don't see why this game couldn't have sold enough with the right media coverage. Of course, if publishers now think that every game must pull CoD-level sales in order to be greenlighted, we might as well stop making videogames now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Actually what is going on at ZeniMax right now, considering this and the rumoured Doom 4 cancellation about a month ago? o_O

ZeniMax Bombs:
-Hunted: The Demon's Forge
-Wet
-Rogue Warrior
-Rage (relative to cost)
-Brink (same as above)

There's a reason they haven't been super ultra happy about their slate lately, though that's kind of what happens when you go for the boutique angle with titles that aren't budgeted to sell 300K copies.

At this point they would have been better off if they had just stuck with Bethesda Game Studios titles.

I can't understand you. They have to release it this year or just cancel it. Because they can't just finish it and put it on hold because a lot of stuff can happen in two years.

Prey 2 was scheduled to release in Q3 2012. What if the Xbox 720 will release in Q2 / 2013 with Prey 2 as launch title? How would this be two years? And what should they say other then "no comment" on cancellation rumors, if this would be the case?

Why are you even talking about PC. 95% of current multiplatform games are released on PC, it doesn't mean that their graphics are good enough for next-gen.

Nonsense. Current PC titles with DX 11 are a good estimation of what next gen launch titles could look like. Prey 2 being developed for PC means they have already some high quality assets. All they would have to do now is, for example, increase the the number of effects.

So the signs that have been gathered so far:
1. Bethesda suddenly cancelled all of the Prey 2 GDC talks.
2. Bethesda gives a "no comment" when presented with the rumors.
3. Fairly recent major departures from Human Head.
4. Absence of info since E3, even though it was scheduled for release later this year.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda was getting cold feet, especially after Syndicate bombed, making them doubt the potential of an ambitious sci-fi/cyberpunk-themed game.

Shiggy

A parkour bounty hunter scifi game doesn't look special to the average consumer? What am I reading because it sure doesn't make sense.

If you look at any of the past footage it definitely looked special. It looked like Deus Ex meets Mass Effect meets Blade Runner.

Based on the E3 footage it looks like a usual space FPS. I'm not too deep into the title, so consider me uninformed. But that's what the average customer is too. They'll judge the game on screens or videos like this. And based on that I don't see this game as outstanding (it doesn't have a huge license attached like Aliens: Colonial Marines) or well marketable.

Please note that I didn't say anything about the game's quality or gameplay. I'm just basing this message on the visual appearance of the title.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda was getting cold feet, especially after Syndicate bombed, making them doubt the potential of an ambitious sci-fi/cyberpunk-themed game.

I understand not throwing good money after bad, but there's also something to be said about trying to recoup sunk costs.

AHA-Lambda

ZeniMax Bombs:
-Hunted: The Demon's Forge
-Wet
-Rogue Warrior
-Rage (relative to cost)
-Brink (same as above)

There's a reason they haven't been super ultra happy about their slate lately, though that's kind of what happens when you go for the boutique angle with titles that aren't budgeted to sell 300K copies.

Yeah not happy reading there for Zenimax. Can skyrim make up for ALL of that? =/

I just found it weird this comes after the "false" doom 4 cancellation (something has to be happening there too after RAGE lets face it).

What about Dishonored? If that is cancelled I will REALLY get pissed! :mad:

So the signs that have been gathered so far:
1. Bethesda suddenly cancelled all of the Prey 2 GDC talks.
2. Bethesda gives a "no comment" when presented with the rumors.
3. Fairly recent major departures from Human Head.
4. Absence of info since E3, even though it was scheduled for release later this year.

Actually, the departures were in january / february. Why would they plan talks at GDC at all if it was already clear that Prey 2 will be cancelled? And why would the speaker make surprised comments on twitter?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gemüsepizza;36295405 said:
Nonsense. Current PC titles with DX 11 are a good estimation of what next gen launch titles could look like. Prey 2 being developed for PC means they have already some high quality assets. All they would have to do now is, for example, increase the the number of effects.

lol @ 720 releasing in Spring. And current PC titles are nowhere close to what next-gen will offer simply because polycount is still aimed at consoles, same goes for physics, RAM limitations and so on.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What has made Zenimax money then, game property wise?

It can't just be Fallout + Elder Scrolls only, I mean even after a few iterations, even if yearly, people would get tired, there's a reason, why they come out almost 2-3+ years apart

Jarmel

Banned
Based on the E3 footage it looks like a usual space FPS. I'm not too deep into the title, so consider me uninformed. But that's what the average customer is too. They'll judge the game on screens or videos like this. And based on that I don't see this game as outstanding (it doesn't have a huge license attached like Aliens: Colonial Marines) or well marketable.

Please note that I didn't say anything about the game's quality or gameplay. I'm just basing this message on the visual appearance of the title.

Words are almost failing me. How many FPS do you see with a cover system? The parkour thing alone makes it rather unique.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it's true, I would hate Bethesda FOREVER. God dammit, this would be so awesome. I seriously hope this isn't true.

Shiggy

Words are almost failing me. How many FPS do you see with a cover system? The parkour thing alone makes it rather unique.

Again, I'm only going by the visual appearance which doesn't look distinctive at all. That is not affected by gameplay or a cover system, right? And I also cannot imagine the marketing team try to advertise the game based only on things like that when various other, similarly looking titles failed.

nyong

Banned
Drop the ties to the Prey franchise, throw in some CoD meets Boba Fett advertising for the masses and profit. Game looked solid as fuck. Stupid suits.

szaromir

Banned
The E3 demo looked so awesome it seemed almost unreal. And now it's really not going to happen. :( It pretty much hit all the right chords for me...

Some people were speculating in the GDC thread that this might be a HALO 2 situation. Bungie had to scrap H2 after the E3 demo because they realized that it wasn't possible for them to make a game at that scale and with those visuals. So they had to rebuild everything. Maybe they just realized that they weren't going to be able to put a full game together that had the same mechanics as the E3 demo?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
FUCK!

This game really stood out among the sea of FPS at E3 last year. I was just wondering what was happening with it yesterday.
This is really sad.

Zeliard

Some people were speculating in the GDC thread that this might be a HALO 2 situation. Bungie had to scrap H2 after the E3 demo because they realized that it wasn't possible for them to make a game at that scale and with those visuals. So they had to rebuild everything. Maybe they just realized that they weren't going to be able to put a full game together that had the same mechanics as the E3 demo?

Scrapping the game and starting over would be so costly it's hard to imagine the publisher going for it. Halo 2 was a rare case in that it was the Xbox's biggest and most lucrative franchise.

lol @ 720 releasing in Spring. And current PC titles are nowhere close to what next-gen will offer simply because polycount is still aimed at consoles, same goes for physics, RAM limitations and so on.

So you are saying a game like Crysis 2 with DX11 and HD textures or Battlefield 3 can not be ported to a next gen console with reasonable effort? Seriously?

Sothpaw

The first picture (it was a magazine cover right?) had an epic reaction here. Anyway tired of shooters; do not care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom