• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

Line_HTX

Hey, CSX. The Brazos has crested and is finally going down.

*Fist bumps

DIpbNzKUwAAExoK.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, wasn't there someone here that lives in Beaumont? SteveO409? How long before they fix the water pump over there?

*Fist bumps

DIpbNzKUwAAExoK.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, wasn't there someone here that lives in Beaumont? SteveO409? How long before they fix the water pump over there?

Record breaking crest, but they were expecting it to be even higher at one point

Line_HTX

The levees were designed to withstand 56.0 feet. I was really scared that it would reach 59 feet like the first projections when they began issuing evacuations bit by bit for each levee zone.

It's extremely unclear. But leaving the region today we saw truckload after truckload of national guard and Entergy repair crews heading in where they could.

Next thing to worry about is how the Toledo Bend dam holds.

Saw the NBC exclusive about the Mother's children and parents being swept away during the storm...I don't know how she's keeping it together...

It's supposed to mean that there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that this magnitude of rain can hit the county in any given year.
As climate change makes things worse I wouldn't be surprised if that probability goes way up. I bet this will become a 20-30 year flood

Line_HTX

Somebody successfully raised a gofundme to give Harris County Flood Control guy Jeff Lindner a vacation, lmao.

Bless him with his updates though at every briefing.

Uhyve

Yeah, not looking real good. I wonder what that is pumping up into the air. :(
Looking at the latest live footage, looks like a fairly steady release, hopefully that'll mean no big explosions. Though I don't know if they've said exactly what they're storing yet, hopefully no large amounts of combustible materials that could be ignited by these fires.

Edit: Didn't realize I was behind on the live stream, that's a big ass fire.

They say that they're gonna let it burn off, so hopefully there's nothing too combustible.

120v

i got off relatively unscathed from this whole ordeal... until today. seems some excess water blew up the sewage system in my complex today... just finished handling a bunch of raw chicken for dinner, go to wash my hands and, nope, no water for you.

you havent lived until you washed your hands with bottled water man

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

thats crazy.

anyone seen the pics from Brazos Bend State Park, water is like 6 feet high in some of the camp ground areas.

Volunteered at a local church around the corner from me, they are operating as a shelter and a distribution center. Its amazing to see all the volunteers and donations rolling in, grabbed a picture of two guys that drove their truck with a 20ft flat bed trailer full of donations, all the way from Midland tx. Depressing to see all the people that need help. Saw a middle aged guy carrying out shoes while wearing penny loafers that didnt fit such that his heels were hanging off. But the one that kills me the most is the kids.

How is the gas shortage going today?

Lines around blocks for Orange.

Volunteered at a local church around the corner from me, they are operating as a shelter and a distribution center. Its amazing to see all the volunteers and donations rolling in, grabbed a picture of two guys that drove their truck with a 20ft flat bed trailer full of donations, all the way from Midland tx. Depressing to see all the people that need help. Saw a middle aged guy carrying out shoes while wearing penny loafers that didnt fit such that his heels were hanging off. But the one that kills me the most is the kids.

I know of at least four semis that are heading down from my small hometown in NY with aid.

CSX

*Fist bumps

DIpbNzKUwAAExoK.jpg

Feels good man.

Yesterday got a text from an old college classmate who lived nearby. He was asking if I was doing ok. He told me that he was in a mandatory evacuation zone but never left since his parents refused to leave. He came out safe. What a lucky man

Gas thing seemed mostly done with today in North Texas. Saw lots of people filling up still but they weren't in lines and not too many pumps with bags over them.

Lubricus

In fact, the flooding is so extensive, Cox Automotive estimates a half-million vehicles may wind up in the scrap yard.

"This is worse than Hurricane Sandy," said Jonathan Smoke, chief economist for Cox Automotive. "Sandy was bad, but the flooding with Hurricane Harvey could impact far more vehicles."

After Hurricane Sandy battered New York and New Jersey in October 2012, an estimated 250,000 vehicles were scrapped.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/a-half-million-flooded-cars-and-trucks-could-be-scrapped.html

Wow, I can't imagine having to not only salvage your home and belongings but also worry about transportation. It's so hard to get things done without a ride here in the southern USA.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Back in Texas. Almost every gas station is out in the northern burbs. Gas shortage is fake news TM!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I talked to a guy yesterday that owns a company that does auto auctions and he had said he already had 500,000 lined up for auctioning off as parts.

My father-in-laws business is this, he particularly sells BMW parts. From what I know he makes some really good money.

trembli0s

Made it out fine but we have some family friends who ended up staying with me for the week because their house in Bellaire flooded.

Tough to see all of the heartbreak and loss but watching the reaction from people in the city and across the nation is incredibly encouraging.

Did they screen the people that would be let close to Trump handing out food? Everyone there asks for a photo, gives him their hand and say thank you. What the hell? Not one protester? I'm especially puzzled by the black people who ask for pictures.

Did they screen the people that would be let close to Trump handing out food? Everyone there asks for a photo, gives him their hand and say thank you. What the hell? Not one protester? I'm especially puzzled by the black people who ask for pictures.

he doesn't do non-PR things. with all the water and rescue they hasn't been around racist in a week so they want a picture

Everything he does is combed through selected people weeks in advance if they can help it.

he doesn't do non-PR things. with all the water and rescue they hasn't been around racist in a week so they want a picture
That doesn't sip me from feeling very discouraged seeing these people getting mushy with this asshole. Like I said in especially let down by black folks. I don't care it's Texas. He shouldn't be received this warmly in Houston.

Top Bottom