• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

MechDX

We were lucky. The street never flooded, and I had direct access to an unflooded HEB.

Still worst week ever with all the tornados by us and watching our city drowned to hell by he gods.

I know people so many miles apart and yet during the storm it didn't feel that way. We were all suffering together at the same time.

I think smokey is fine last time he posted.

Cool! Vyer just responded on Twitter so all of NFL GAF made it out ok.

Except Dega......he woke up in Seattle. #Pray4Dega

Vyer

Made the trek down to my parents to check the place out since they won't be back until tomorrow. Because of all the water draining parts of Lake Jackson were under voluntary evacuation today. Some people there are just now getting water in their homes, an hour south of Houston.

Fuck you Harvey

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Didn't come out of this unscathed. A few ceiling leaks and found about 4 inches of water in my car. Compared to others I am fortunate that was it.

Have not ventured out of the neighborhood and don't plan to for at least another week. Wife plans to hit up Sam's tomorrow off of 1960 to stock up on a few items. Hope it isnt too busy.

fenners

To expand on this; Houston is the 4th biggest city in the country and 5th biggest metro area.

I live in Austin, I've lived in DFW & San Francisco. Houston is fucking huge compared to them. It's the epitome of urban sprawl. As posted have said, the last time the city tried to evacuate en-masse, it was a disaster, and if the same highways out of town were filled with stuck cars this time, it would have been an even worse cost of life.

The build-up of highways replaced the natural channels for water in that area, they have to take the flow. But the amount of water dumped on the region this past week was insane, beyond whatever "normal" means.

KaYotiX

Banned
My wife might not have enough gas to get to work and back tomorrow. Going to have to switch cars in the morning since I work a lot closer to our place then she does. I go in ass early tomorrow so hopefully I can find a spot to fill up.

I'm hoping I can find a place otw back home tomorrow morning when I get off work. I'm hoping all the stations at Canyon Lake are fine. Crazy how folks just flipped out about gas.

guess

I think one more point is that (mandatory/voluntary evacuation or not) people left Houston before Rita because of fear. For the Houston area, there was minimal fear with regards to Harvey. It was "it might rain a lot."

September 22, Rita reached its peak intensity with maximum sustained winds of 180 mph (285 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure of 895 mbar (hPa; 26.43 inHg), making it the strongest tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Gulf of Mexico.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita

Combine the intensity with Hurricane Katrina fresh on people's minds, and people feared for their lives.

Now take Hurricane Harvey. The evacuations included most coastal counties. Houston was forecast to receive a lot of rain. If an evacuation was ordered for Houston because of 20+ or whatever inches of rain, people aren't going to leave. They aren't going to fear for their lives. And you aren't going to force people to leave even if a mandatory evacuation is ordered. Even as houses were flooding and water rising, people still refused to leave their homes. "I'd rather die in my house than in my car" was said by some guy as his neighborhood was flooding.

People also feared less because the storm didn't make landfall anywhere near the Houston area.

Ond7CfQ.jpg
How do you evacuate with a forecast track like that. And when would you evacuate?

Vyer

Such a surreal feeling walking around the neighborhood. It's like a war zone on one street, piles of demo from the inside of houses on the side of the road, ruined cars everywhere...and two blocks later it's like nothing really happened. So crazy.

fenners

Such a surreal feeling walking around the neighborhood. It's like a war zone on one street, piles of demo from the inside of houses on the side of the road, ruined cars everywhere...and two blocks later it's like nothing really happened. So crazy.

:(

You & your family good?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Friends in Austin can't find gas. Gasbuddy says no fuel in all nearby locations. I guess the panic by dumbasses also resulted in 2x gas usage per day? Or perhaps occams razor: hurricane flooded the majority of regional gas refineries resulting in way less gas.

Believe what you want. I plan on working remotely next week.

Had to wait out 20 minutes for gas at my place, last one apparently with gas too within a couple mile radius.

Pretty sure it's a mix of hysteria and genuine resupply problems, weighed more heavily to the former.

That's terrible, no way should have it got anywhere that high.

Over 1,800 people died from Hurricane Katrina. It's a miracle if it stays this low.

No kidding, if this doesn't leave triple digits, it will be a miracle. Too wide an area, too many people affected, many of whom were elderly/disabled/poor or the stubborn folks, too fast and uncertain an event. Houston has a massive senior and poor populations, very vulnerable to events like this even if handled to perfection.

shandy706

Had to wait out 20 minutes for gas at my place, last one apparently with gas too within a couple mile radius.

Pretty sure it's a mix of hysteria and genuine resupply problems, weighed more heavily to the former.

All the emergency vehicles in South Carolina, yes you read that right, got a notification to fill up earlier today.

Never seen a notification like that go out.

I think one more point is that (mandatory/voluntary evacuation or not) people left Houston before Rita because of fear. For the Houston area, there was minimal fear with regards to Harvey. It was "it might rain a lot."

Especially given that everyone was still reeling from Katrina earlier that year. I feel like we spent the bulk of the last Administration waiting for Obama's Katrina to happen and it never did. The last several seasons have been very, very mild. On some level I think we all just forgot how bad a hurricane can be.

Now we remember. People are going to try to run from Irma wherever she makes landfall and it's going to be a hot mess.

Rita at peak intensity had the entire country scared shitless, and I don't blame a single person in Houston who wanted to get the hell out. It was a classic case of just a few wobbles dramatically changing intensity and landfall. We seemed to have learned absolutely nothing from that incident in regards to "maybe this many people shouldn't live in this area this close together," and now it's an issue again. Because this is America, we will continue to learn nothing and we'll surely go through this again in another decade when another 2 million people are there.

I know this sounds quaint by standards now after brushes with $5 gas, but all the oil production offline that fall was the first time a lot of the country ever saw $3/gallon, and although there were never really panics or rushes on fuel people were on edge everywhere as it went up 5-10 cents a day at times.
That's terrible, no way should have it got anywhere that high.
Back when it was around 10 I said it'd be a miracle if it didn't end up 100 times that after everything is searched. I stand by that. Katrina killed 1200 specifically in the NOLA "if they weren't black/poor/poor blacks maybe they would have had a chance," zone and 1800 total. This is over a larger area! Harvey has destroyed across racial and economic barriers at least, which makes talk of response a lot less controversial. That was a bad, bad time for this country.

this_guy

So the solution to unprecedented flooding is more safety regulation?

It would be nice to not have to worry about chemical explosions. Safety regulations are meant to protect against things like that.

The article doesn't present a solution to unprecedented flooding. You would have to be dense to think that or an ass to frame it that way.

colinp

Banned
It would be nice to not have to worry about chemical explosions. Safety regulations are meant to protect against things like that.

The article doesn't present a solution to unprecedented flooding. You would have to be dense to think that or an ass to frame it that way.

Ah sorry, I'm just an ass. ;)

It is amusing how all problems in the world stem from the GOP, but I suppose that is partially what the other thread is for. And yet things keep popping up in here...

this_guy

Ah sorry, I'm just an ass. ;)

It is amusing how all problems in the world stem from the GOP, but I suppose that is partially what the other thread is for. And yet things keep popping up in here...

You seem to have a hard time reading and comprehending posts. Please continue to make shit up so you can argue against it.

I'm sure the people of Crosby would rather not have a chemical plant blowing up while their homes are flooded. This is actually relevant to the thread.

colinp

Banned
You seem to have a hard time reading and comprehending posts. Please continue to make shit up so you can argue against it.

I'm sure the people of Crosby would rather not have a chemical plant blowing up while their homes are flooded. This is actually relevant to the thread.

Congratulations, your superior reading comprehension succusefully caught me arguing that the people of Crosby would rather have a chemical plant blowing up while their homes are flooded.

Or are you making shit up now?

Anyway, NYT is reporting that Trump is pledging $1 million from his personal fortune.

this_guy

Congratulations, your superior reading comprehension succusefully caught me arguing that the people of Crosby would rather have a chemical plant blowing up while their homes are flooded.

Or are you making shit up now?

Anyway, NYT is reporting that Trump is pledging $1 million from his personal fortune.

That Crosby statement is relevant to the article I posted. Please go back to your first response to me, which was about that article, and make sense of it. You seem to have went off on a tangent, acted like an ass, and now want to continue doing so.

MikeRahl

Maybe a little bit off topic but reading about the effects of the hurricane and how gas prices in the states have see a 'spike' of 7 cents a gallon is interesting.

Here in Winnipeg gas prices have gone up 20 cents a LITRE in the last 3 days, which if my conversion is right ends up being an increase of about 60 cents US a gallon, which is pretty nuts. Gas prices are 1.087 a litre (which is about $3.33 US a gallon)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Maybe a little bit off topic but reading about the effects of the hurricane and how gas prices in the states have see a 'spike' of 7 cents a gallon is interesting.

Here in Winnipeg gas prices have gone up 20 cents a LITRE in the last 3 days, which if my conversion is right ends up being an increase of about 60 cents US a gallon, which is pretty nuts. Gas prices are 1.087 a litre (which is about $3.33 US a gallon)

Gas prices have jumped by about .60 cents here in dallas. It all depends on where you are at

MechDX

Keep hearing and seeing about the dire conditions in Beaumont and it is concerning. Houston, while terrible, is severely overshadowing it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

This certainly doesn't help but I think the vast majority of people are just pumping their tanks. If the shortage were due to panic we'd see the supply bounce back by now but it seems to be getting worse. Gasbuddy says 75% of stations in Pflugerville and Round Rock are out.

People in these Austin suburbs have to refill every 2 to 3 days because of their long commutes to the city so panic would be masked by daily gas usage by now.

Mindlog

Saw some pretty bad video of Beaumont and that area. In the middle of a flooded neighborhood I saw the smoldering remains of a home. Sucks that after hoping everyone is safe your mind immediately leaps to the insurance implications.

Top Bottom