• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

Did they screen the people that would be let close to Trump handing out food? Everyone there asks for a photo, gives him their hand and say thank you. What the hell? Not one protester? I'm especially puzzled by the black people who ask for pictures.

It's the Secret Service. They're screening everyone within 100 feet of the area if they can. No one is getting anywhere near the president without having a conversation with a few people beforehand.

Headed from south Texas this morning up to Ingleside, Aransas Pass and Refugio with a group to help cut down dropped trees and move debris from houses. Been pretty amazed at just how many groups are out here lending a hand. Some depressing sights too: there was a house in Ingleside that had obviously been abandoned since the storm, but the owner looked to be a backyard dog breeder and left behind 3 adult dogs and 7 or 8 newborn pups enclosed in a cage with no food, so taking care of that now.

RzkJev0_d.jpg

Jesus.man

Joe

Something worth keeping an eye on...

AP News | Toxic waste sites flooded; EPA not on scene
Long a center of the nation's petrochemical industry, the Houston metro area has more than a dozen Superfund sites, designated by the Environmental Protection Agency as being among America's most intensely contaminated places. Many are now flooded, with the risk that waters were stirring dangerous sediment.
The Associated Press visited seven Superfund sites in and around Houston during the flooding. All had been inundated with water; some were accessible only by boat.

EPA spokeswoman Amy Graham could not immediately provide details on when agency experts would inspect the Houston-area sites. She said Friday that EPA staff had checked on two other Superfund sites in Corpus Christi and found no significant damage.

”We will begin to assess other sites after flood waters recede in those areas," Graham said.

screenshot_169.png

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/904064764594319361
screenshot_168.png

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Filled up at the Lakeline Sam's. No line at 6:30 in the morning :lol

I just went to the one gas station nearby that gasbuddy said had gas, and they just sold out and suggested a Walmart that's selling it for $5.29/gallon. I think we're getting close to the point where we'll have tons of cars getting towed because they run out of gas while looking for gas.

Spent the day demoing a house in atascosita, near the lake. Felt good to help out a family with a small child. Water was up to a foot inside, so nearly everything ruined that wasn't hanging on the walls or on furniture. The sense of camaraderie in the neighborhoods is really inspiring, ate a brat from a guy cooking for whomever stopped by. A couple from Louisiana dropped off dinners and cold Waterford workers and home owners. They just dropped everything, drove to Houston, made a huge amount of jambalaya or whatever and just went door to door in affected areas. Really amazing. We were fortunate to survive unscathed and blocks away just utter destruction. I feel quite a bit of survivors guilt, frankly.

Negator

Really worried about not being able to drive to work next week. Im basically stuck in my house because gas is sold out everywhere and I only have a quarter tank left.

So I've just been informed that I need to vacate my apartment due to an assessor deeming it "uninhabitable' despite there being no damage that I know of.

I have 5 days. I'm fucked.

Really worried about not being able to drive to work next week. Im basically stuck in my house because gas is sold out everywhere and I only have a quarter tank left.

I think it should be okay after labor day weekend. But I am probably cycling to work a few times next week to conserve.

sinkfla87

So I've just been informed that I need to vacate my apartment due to an assessor deeming it "uninhabitable' despite there being no damage that I know of.

I have 5 days. I'm fucked.

Holy shit, sorry to hear that. Where are you going when you vacate? Have they got anything set up for you? Florida GAF here, been reading this thread and hoping for the best for you guys. We've had our share of hurricanes but nothing of an aftermath like Texas is having :(.

teh_pwn

I think the trick to finding gas is seeing if it's on gasbuddy and expensive. Every time gas stations get a supply they up prices.

teh_pwn

Got gas. Of the few stations listed in Pflugerville as having it on gas buddy, some don't and the ones that do only a couple of pumps. We are close to being out city wide.

Chumly

Ugh. The devastation is almost unimaginable. This is easily bigger than Katrina.

Harvey will be massive when it's all done but Katrina was bigger than people are remembering. The mississippi coastline was absolutely leveled in addition to devastating New Orleans.

teh_pwn

Looks like the gas supply line is adapting, most stations have fuel.

Zeke

Wooo was finally able to get gas today waited 20 minutes maybe. Exxon on tezel and mainland across from Walgreens. Still seeing tons of assholes filling up plastic gas tanks.

teh_pwn

Don't tell others about the resupply. Enjoying the 30% reduced traffic and no waits at restaurants.

MechDX

Noticed yesterday in Houston. Dont go to stations near high ways. Driving home from work the stations on Aldine Bender had gas but as soon as I hit 59 all out

turtle553

Wooo was finally able to get gas today waited 20 minutes maybe. Exxon on tezel and mainland across from Walgreens. Still seeing tons of assholes filling up plastic gas tanks.

I'm sure there will be people running generators for weeks and they need portable containers. We were on a generator for 6 days after Sandy hit NJ.

louiedog

My local shelter got in a bunch of dogs and cats from Texas this weekend. They were existing adoptable animals taken in to free up room for displaced animals from the flood. Hopefully I can meet a few tomorrow.

Returning to normal for an completely unaffected home

Apparently they're still pumping water out of the downtown tunnels, not sure which sets. I've heard that the criminal justice center is out of commission for at least 3 months probably six and maybe longer. Not sure about the other downtown courts, they don't sit as low I believe. Going to have to share courts with other places or maybe the up coirts in the area, defendants do have speedy trial rights. My building downtown was without ac elevators and plumbing on Friday, waiting on word if it's been restored and we can go in tomorrow.

My daughters daycare opened Thursday but we didn't take her in, will tomorrow. First day of school for my son is Thursday, should be strange. Our school was mostly unaffected but we have lots of neighbors two three blocks away that were ruined, so expecting lots of fundraisers this year. Kingwood high is completely screwed, I've heard their insurance has a 500k deductible and the damage is massive. The videos are very sad. I volunteered with a senior the other day and can't imagine him and his friends trying to do athletics, academics, tests, visits, trying to get accepted and ready for college. Talk of Saturday schools that would obviously impact everyone from bus drivers to teachers to students and families. Sharing high school hours. Just a complete cluster.

MechDX

Returning to normal for an completely unaffected home

Apparently they're still pumping water out of the downtown tunnels, not sure which sets. I've heard that the criminal justice center is out of commission for at least 3 months probably six and maybe longer. Not sure about the other downtown courts, they don't sit as low I believe. Going to have to share courts with other places or maybe the up coirts in the area, defendants do have speedy trial rights. My building downtown was without ac elevators and plumbing on Friday, waiting on word if it's been restored and we can go in tomorrow.

My daughters daycare opened Thursday but we didn't take her in, will tomorrow. First day of school for my son is Thursday, should be strange. Our school was mostly unaffected but we have lots of neighbors two three blocks away that were ruined, so expecting lots of fundraisers this year. Kingwood high is completely screwed, I've heard their insurance has a 500k deductible and the damage is massive. The videos are very sad. I volunteered with a senior the other day and can't imagine him and his friends trying to do athletics, academics, tests, visits, trying to get accepted and ready for college. Talk of Saturday schools that would obviously impact everyone from bus drivers to teachers to students and families. Sharing high school hours. Just a complete cluster.

Everything from KHS all the way down past Town Center is royally fucked. This is the new HEB:

Seems weird driving through Humble and seeing the entire shopping center with Best Buy in it completely shut down. EVERY business with trucks parked in front throwing everything away

Koppai

While I did not have nearly any of the damage that others have faced, my work decided to pay everyone for the missed days. Surprisingly yesterday, the founder of my company has a plan in place for people who are affected by storms, terrorist attacks, etc. and they deposited some money in my account. So now I can get my roof repaired, I am so thankful to work for a company who may not necessarily pay a big paycheck, but will help you out if you are in a jam.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by this storm, and also wishing for the people in the path of Irma to be okay.

I hope FEMA and the government truly is able to help everyone that needs it, because in a few days Florida and the east coast will be needing money out of those same funds.

Arcia

Banned
It rained a little last night over my house for a bit and I had a mini panic attack. Things aren't ever going to be the same, huh?

It rained a little last night over my house for a bit and I had a mini panic attack. Things aren't ever going to be the same, huh?
After Sandy I get sick to the stomach and nervous every time it gets really windy and I didn't even have damage to my house. Just the experience.

Nosgotham

Did they screen the people that would be let close to Trump handing out food? Everyone there asks for a photo, gives him their hand and say thank you. What the hell? Not one protester? I'm especially puzzled by the black people who ask for pictures.

why are you puzzled? lots of Mexican americans and black people like trump in texas. i know sone illegal immigrants who dont though. i get that. i think its weird that you think just because someone is black, they cant like trump. very weird to have that mind set

Top Bottom